Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:04:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Problems with Praying
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problems with Praying  (Read 3656 times)
Holeinmysoul

Jeremiah 2:13

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2003, 11:45:39 PM »

Having trouble praying?  Then tell Him!  Lean on Him, trust in Him, and know that He is using even those prayers you may deem worthless to mold your prayers into His will.  Keep praying!

Thanks! It's so true that a person can actually pray about praying Smiley

Thats a great scripture in Romans you gave me. Thanks  Cheesy

Hols

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2003, 12:45:59 AM »

You're most welcome!  Cheesy

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2003, 01:33:46 AM »

Sometimes people can just go through dry spells. It is ok. Maybe you are going about it wrong? When and how do you pray? Do you read your bible and/or worship him in conjunction with it?

I use to read my bible heaps but kinda got out of the habit. To me, praying is just conversing with God - no right way or wrong. Although I don't feel my prayers sound right, I know that God still accepts childlike prayers, imperfections and all. But I fully agree, that reading the bible and worship should be part of communicating with God.

Yes, you should consider worship or mediation to help you get into the spirit.

Actually, maybe the real problem is not wanting to be honest with God about how I feel sometimes.
(I can get kinda angry with God bout things that seem so unfair) And not wanting to hear what he has to say in case it hurts.

That may sound pathetic but when you've been hurt alot in life, it's hard to be vulnerable.[/color]

No, it doesn’t sound pathetic at all. Life can be hard. Especially if you are the kind of person who wears their heart on their sleeve. If all else fails, just say “Lord, you know what is going on, please heal my heart” and worship, and let him work on you. Sometimes, we just need to just be like children, and run home, curling up in our parents lap when something happens. Sometimes, we just need a good loving, and good thing for us, Jesus enjoys giving it. Wink No matter how old or how big you get, he is still willing to rock you to sleep.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2003, 02:05:41 AM »

I thought of a post by Willowbirch (which I hope isn't copyrighted Wink):

I thought I should mention this; I feel almost as though I've been born again, again, lol.

I'm a Christian, and I pray. Every night. Even if I'm half asleep, even if I forgot to brush my teeth, even if I have to get up in three hours. Wow, how faithful! R-right?

Last night I picked up the book "Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. Its a fictitious collection of one "tempter's" letters to his nephew. It sounds amusing, but its more like a devotional.

I thought about the following statement: (now, I didn't pay for permission to quote this, so don't tell!) *At the very least, they [humans] can be persuaded that the bodily position makes no difference to their prayers; for they constantly forget, what you [the tempter's nephew] must always remember, that they are animals [flesh] and that whatever their bodies do affects their souls.*

I suddenly realized that I had been guilty of selfish, inattentive, and dishonoring prayer! I had never thought about this! I generally force some psuedo-prayerful recitation while I am lying down, just before I go to sleep. In fact, a lot of times, I'm asleep before I've finished.   But its still prayer, right? God still hears it, I'm still praying for the "right" things, aren't I?

I'm not about to get into a discussion on what does and doesn't qualify as spiritual prayer. But last night I prayed before bed, on my knees, with my eyes closed. I have a hardwood floor in my room; it wasn't comfortable. I didn't bring up totally different topics than usual. I didn't really pray for different people, or for different circumstances. I'm not a genius, I don't think up new stuff very easily.

I was not praying with a sloppy attitude; I found myself looking inward, and discovering little hidden darknesses that I have trouble bringing to mind when I'm almost asleep. Nothing I didn't know about, just things I'd been ignoring. There was a fervor and delight while I was praying that I rarely enjoy. When I finally went to bed, I was in tears, and there was a peace in my heart; I'd forgotten what prayer could be like.

I had no idea prayer could be influenced so much by the posture of our bodies! We can't force a spirit of worship and humbleness on our souls if our flesh is not under the same restraint! Paul "buffeted [his] body into submission." I'm not encouraging legalism here; legalistic prayer is just as miserable as the nonsense I often mutter just before I fall asleep. We are free in Christ, and we have the glorious opportunity to commune with Him through prayer! Why did I forget that?  
http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=1281

Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2003, 03:36:43 AM »

This is when it is wonderful to know we have a Loving Father who understands more about us than we do.  
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2003, 07:15:26 PM »

The key is not to base your assessments of God's love on your own assessment of yourself or your circumstances. God's greatest servants suffered the most, because it made them the most sanctified and fit for service and the kingdom of heaven. If you tell us more about why you feel this way, it can help us help you, too. But these are the most common reasons.
*hug*

Thankyou for the encouragement. It does help to know that even the greatest of God's servants suffered also. Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist when it comes to prayer. When I'm by myself praying, it never sounds right and I can't get out what I want to say. I have alot of fears in my life that I know get in the way of me knowing God intimately so that adds to the problem.   Sad

The perfect prayer is simply the one that comes from the heart. God just wants communion with you. He already knows what you need before you say it. But that connection with Him is powerful, even when you just say, "Help, Lord." *hug*

I understand about fear. Just tell Him you feel that way and entrust it to Him. He'll work through it with you.

maryann
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2003, 12:31:42 AM »

I just wanted to tell you what I learned about praying in the 24
years that I have been a Christian.  The first thing I do before I
pray is to re-dedicate my life to Jesus to make sure my heart is right
before Him.  I ask for forgiveness of all my sin, my unknown sin and
my unknown faults. Then I come boldly before Him and pray to the
Father in The Name of Jesus.  The Gospel of John is a very good
book of the bible to show you exactly how to follow the ways of Jesus
Christ.  You must remember, too that the devil does not want you to
pray.  He does not want you read the bible.  He does not want you to
know the Truth for then you will not want to commit the sins he so
loves to draw you to doing.  Just remember Jesus gave His Life for
you to have Life and have it to the fullest.  He created you to have
fellowship with Him forever.  He gave us all the tools to do so in His
Word.  Once you have asked Him to come into your heart, asked  for
forgiveness of sins, ask Him to make Himself real to you and asked Him
to save you and keep you ......... He will.  But......... we must ask.
He does not take away ones free will to do as they please.  But it
pleases Him to have you follow His ways and to pray and read His Word.
I hope I have helped you.  If not please feel free to write and ask me
any question and I'll try to be more help.  If it has helped you then,
God Bless you and hang in there.  He loves us so very much.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the