Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:46:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286775 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Are all religions basically the same?
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you think all religions are basically similar?
All religions worship God, so yes. - 0 (0%)
All religions are a path to God/deity. - 1 (5%)
Most religions have similar philosophy and ideas. - 2 (10%)
The monthestic religions (Judaism,Christianity,Islam) are the same, basically. - 1 (5%)
No, all religions have a different God. - 0 (0%)
No, all religions are wrong except Christianity. - 12 (60%)
All religions have similiar stories and goals, but only one is completely right. - 3 (15%)
I have no idea or I really don't care. - 1 (5%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are all religions basically the same?  (Read 4852 times)
AvenAleuthyra

{::lost::}

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2003, 02:12:06 PM »

I have a sincere question.

I have friends who practice all sorts of different religions, from Christianity to Islam to Wicca. All of them believe their faith is right, although some of them believe every religion is a valid way to find God. Is this true?

Also, I was recently reading some books on comparative religion and some of the stuff in the Islam Qur'an seemed really similiar to the Bible. Does this mean Islam and Christianity are the same, or basically similar? Do Muslims worship the same God? Sorry for all these questions, but I really want to know. It's hard for me to be sure what's right, because there are so many faiths out there.
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 03:19:38 PM »

AvenAleuthyra

I have friends who practice all sorts of different religions, from Christianity to Islam to Wicca. All of them believe their faith is right, although some of them believe every religion is a valid way to find God. Is this true?  
No this is definitely not true. The Lord Jesus Christ said very plainly: I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE: NO MAN COMETH UNTO [GOD] THE FATHER BUT BY ME (John 14:6).
There is only one way to God and that is through the Lord Jesus Christ -- His blood and His righteousness. You must believe that Christ died for your sins and rose again to give you the gift of eternal life. You must also turn from your sins and idols (repent) and turn to the true living God. To do this you must receive Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior by faith (Jn.1:12-13). There is absolutely no other way to heaven or to God.

Also, I was recently reading some books on comparative religion and some of the stuff in the Islam Qur'an seemed really similiar to the Bible. Does this mean Islam and Christianity are the same, or basically similar? Do Muslims worship the same God?
Muslims do not worship the triune Godhead -- God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Islam has taken elements out of both the Old and New Testaments and perverted the truths contained therein.  For example, Islam teaches that Ishmael [Ismail] is Abraham's son of promise, not Isaac. This is a blatant contradiction of the Old Testament. Islam also teaches that Jesus is just another prophet, while Mohammed is the true and final prophet. Also that God can have no Son, therefore Christ is not the Son of God. This is a direct attack on the deity of Christ. In other words, Islam is a direct challenge to the legitimate claims of Jesus Christ, therefore it is "anti-christ".

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 04:56:14 PM »

AvenAleuthyra

No this is definitely not true. The Lord Jesus Christ said very plainly: I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE: NO MAN COMETH UNTO [GOD] THE FATHER BUT BY ME (John 14:6).
There is only one way to God and that is through the Lord Jesus Christ -- His blood and His righteousness. You must believe that Christ died for your sins and rose again to give you the gift of eternal life. You must also turn from your sins and idols (repent) and turn to the true living God. To do this you must receive Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior by faith (Jn.1:12-13). There is absolutely no other way to heaven or to God.

Also, I was recently reading some books on comparative religion and some of the stuff in the Islam Qur'an seemed really similiar to the Bible. Does this mean Islam and Christianity are the same, or basically similar? Do Muslims worship the same God?
Muslims do not worship the triune Godhead -- God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Islam has taken elements out of both the Old and New Testaments and perverted the truths contained therein.  For example, Islam teaches that Ishmael [Ismail] is Abraham's son of promise, not Isaac. This is a blatant contradiction of the Old Testament. Islam also teaches that Jesus is just another prophet, while Mohammed is the true and final prophet. Also that God can have no Son, therefore Christ is not the Son of God. This is a direct attack on the deity of Christ. In other words, Islam is a direct challenge to the legitimate claims of Jesus Christ, therefore it is "anti-christ".

Amen & Amen

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
John1one

Christian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 07:20:21 PM »

Greetings AvenAleuthyra,
I am going out on a limb here. Is this your name or user name. I am intrigued over what it means or what nationality it is (if indeed it is your name). I don’t mean to pry if it is something private. Just expressing sincere and friendly interest.

Quote from AvenAleuthyra

What do you believe? Can every faith be true? If there is but one God, and if indeed He sent His only Son, do you really think that there would be more than one Way? As Sower says above quoting John 14:6 – Jesus is the Way. Whatever other faiths say about themselves and other religions, Christianity is either true or false. There is no middle road with us. We went out on a limb by trusting that God sent His only Son to bear our sins and the sins of the world, thereby saving us (1Timothy 4:10).

Quote from AvenAleuthyra
Also, I was recently reading some books on comparative religion and some of the stuff in the Islam Qur'an seemed really similiar to the Bible. Does this mean Islam and Christianity are the same, or basically similar? Do Muslims worship the same God? Sorry for all these questions, but I really want to know. It's hard for me to be sure what's right, because there are so many faiths out there.

Muslims go to great lengths when speaking with Christians to try to create a link between their holy writings and ours. Once they do, they begin to pick apart our Scriptures, making out like they have become corrupt and that theirs is really the only true uncorrupt writings from God (Allah).

With regard to the fate of your friends, I would advise you to just live a life for Christ and let them see Him in you. Let God take care of those who are outside the Body of Christ. It is not for us to judge them. We have a Judge and He is merciful and full of love. If you love your friends, God loves them even more – He suffered and died for them. Let the testimony of His love for both you and your friends give you peace.

God bless,

John1one
suzie

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 08:59:18 PM »

Good answers and posts from sower, ambassador as well as John.....

Mine will be a bit simplistic but in agreement.  God tells us there can be but only one true God. That is the God of Abraham. This same God took on flesh and became man so that all could live eternal with Him.  We dont have to work our way to heaven, "our God" reached down with outstretched arms to gather us to Him. All we must do is accept and believe Him.
God gave us His Word which reveals His love and very nature to us.  It tells of His plan for mankind from beginning to end.  It is all truth and all in harmony despite being written over 1600 yrs by over 40 authors in 3 languages.  That is because God breathed the very words for us. Through the Holy Spirit God lives within each of those who believe on Him, and through this Spirit our ears, eyes and hearts become open to God's message of truth.  We are freed and empowered by God and live for God. It is quite a journey.
John the Baptist
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 09:18:52 PM »

John here:
No, is your answer from this end. Smiley
There is only one true Virgin denomination. And this should be our goal! (see Rev. 18:4)

Now: There are many of God's children in the wrong 'folds' (denomination) Read John 10:16 They are His 'other sheep'!

There are even SAVED SOUL'S in the blind gentile class. If they have died before more 'light' comes, they will awaken from their sleep of death to go to heaven, & did not even know the Master as we have! (see Rom. 2:14-15) Yet, notice that .. "Which shew the work of law written in their hearts, .." Converted, Born Again, and did not even know it! (see 2 Cor. 3:3)

The BOTTOM line is to read Christ's Word prayerfully & OBEY it! (see Matt. 4:4 & *Acts 5:32) It is when one "KNOWS TO DO GOOD AND DOES IT NOT THAT IT IS SIN" (false doctrine & denominations) See Rev. 18:4 for being PARTAKERS OF HER SINS & the [END] result!

---John
hisvessel1

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2003, 12:04:53 AM »

to john the baptist. are you saying that we should follow the rcc? btw, rev.18:4 has to do with the end times of babylon. may i ask what is the "denomination" we are not to follow?  you say " there is only one true virgin denomination., and that it should be our goal." would you care to elaborate on this? ty Huh

HV1
John the Baptist
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2003, 07:58:00 PM »

Hi, John here:
I am a up front kind of a converted Christian! Smiley The Rev. 18:4 verse is TRUTH regardless of denomination. (If it applies)

If one reads Rev. 12:17 you will see only a 'remnant' of the Virgin woman's seed saved. These HAVE 2 Cor. 3:3's testimony or letter (epistal) of Christ in their heart. And it tells 'all' that they KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD. (true Faith, or Belief, do His works because they LOVE their Master!)

OK: so, Hisvessel, that elimates most denominations!

Can you handel this so far?? If you can, let me know & I will give you more evidence of who are the True Virgin denomination. (Eph. 4:5 & John 10:16)

PLEASE TAKE NOTE HERE! TRUE IN DOCTRINAL TEACHINGS *ONLY! Try Matt. 23:3 very s-l-o-w-l-y. Remember that it is their REMNANT that Rev. 12:17 speaks of. It will have the same history as Israel of old! See Eccl. 1:9-10 & Eccl. 3:15! Do you BELIEVE God's Word so far?

---John
to john the baptist. are you saying that we should follow the rcc? btw, rev.18:4 has to do with the end times of babylon. may i ask what is the "denomination" we are not to follow?  you say " there is only one true virgin denomination., and that it should be our goal." would you care to elaborate on this? ty Huh
« Last Edit: May 03, 2003, 08:03:08 PM by John the Baptist » Logged
rememberedone

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2003, 04:25:05 PM »

Hi...I'd like to respond to the question about whether different religions like wicca and Christianity can be true...
  What I believe is that though they may have some things in common, they both cannot be true. One claims that Jesus is the only way to heaven...the other doesn't make that statement. It may have som etruth in it, but isn't that how satan tried to tempt Jesus...by quoting scripture, yet not with the whole truth in view?
  Simply put, "Jesus is the way, the truth and the light" Smiley
GarColga

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2003, 05:19:54 PM »

Of course all Christians are going to say that Christianity is the only true religion. But, if any of the people saying this had been born in a different place, or maybe in a different time, they would be saying something similar about the Shinto Gods, or Allah, or Krishna, or the Great Manitou.

So maybe all religions are true in the way that they help people to try and make some sense of things. Then again maybe none of them are true.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2003, 05:22:08 PM by GarColga » Logged
Bronzesnake
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2003, 06:05:00 PM »

Either God is real, or He isn't.
His word has been spread throughout the entire earth just as He said it would be. It's up to each of us to either accept it or reject it. We must first at least investigate the claims of the major religions in order to decide which one is most credible. The Christian Bible makes very definitive claims about who God is and what He expects from us. We must also consider Jesus, was he an actual living human? most reasonable people who agree that he was. Did he do the things written in the gospels? well, there is credible historical corroboration of some of the events listed in the Bible, some will tell you it's all a conspiracy, that early Christians got a hold of every copy of the historical ancient documents and changed them...hey, believe what you will.
Those who stand for nothing will fall for everything. It's one or the other, it's not "all"
Saying all are true to help us make sense of things, is just another way of saying none are true but if it makes you feel better then go ahead and believe in any lie that suits your particular life-style.
ex-believer

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2003, 04:42:57 PM »

A smart guy once said - Only one thing can be true, if all things are true then nothing is true if Allah is God then Jesus isn't God. There has to be absolutes - to say nothing is true is to say that nothing is absolutely true - but the statement 'nothing is true' is actually what is absolutely true, so you have an illogical statement. So there has to be 'something' absolutely true.
                                  -ex
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2003, 05:12:08 PM »

First of all, the correct way to worship of God is determined by GOd Himself, so it is invalid for people to walk in a way and deem it true. That would be like my saying I don't want to believe in the holocaust, therefore I believe it didn't happen, and then call that truth. Truth is always objective.

Secondly, man is therefore not qualified to make the determination about godly truth. God testifies what is true about Himself, as it is written, no one knows the spirit of a man but the m,an Himself. So you can see that no one can know God but God himself. So when people say Christians are bigoted for not including other religions, there are several serious gaffes with this:
1. That would be determining truth about God based on the emotion of man, the desire for personal affirmation, not upon God Himself. Anything not based upon God Himself isn't about God, and is therefore not the truth. People reject Christianity for one of
two reasons: either there's something they want to do that God does not allow, so they follow a religion where they can do as they please, or they are angry at God.
2. The assumption is that human beings can *determine* truth. We have not seen God, so we cannot determine the truth about Him. He does that.
3. There is a failure to acknowledge the truth that is engraved upon our hearts that we need atonement for our sin. Only Christianity offers this true atonement, for men cannot atone for themselves. In regrads to Judaism, the animal sacrifices were only in expectation of a savior, who has come.

If you'd like to share your experiences, though, I'd be pleased to hear them.

asaph
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2003, 03:26:59 PM »

Yes, all religions are basically the same. They were all invented and evolve by the energy of men groping in darkness trying to make sense out of a messed up world.

"The Scriptures tell us, "No one is acceptable to God!
Not one of them understands or even searches for God.
They have all turned away and are worthless. There isn't one person who does right.
Their words are like an open pit, and their tongues are good only for telling lies. Each word is as deadly as the fangs of a snake, and they say nothing but bitter curses.
These people quickly become violent.
Wherever they go, they leave ruin and destruction.
They don't know how to live in peace.
They don't even fear God."
We know that everything in the Law was written for those who are under its power. The Law says these things to stop anyone from making excuses and to let God show that the whole world is guilty.
God doesn't accept people simply because they obey the Law. No, indeed! All the Law does is to point out our sin.

Now we see how God does make us acceptable to him. The Law and the Prophets tell how we become acceptable, and it isn't by obeying the Law of Moses.
God treats everyone alike. He accepts people only because they have faith in Jesus Christ.
All of us have sinned and fallen short of God's glory.
But God treats us much better than we deserve, and because of Christ Jesus, he freely accepts us and sets us free from our sins.

God sent Christ to be our sacrifice. Christ offered his life's blood, so that by faith in him we could come to God. And God did this to show that in the past he was right to be patient and forgive sinners. This also shows that God is right when he accepts people who have faith in Jesus." CEV

The truth is, it's all God and not us. God is light, we are in darkness till God shines His light in us. The above words gives  light enough for anyone to see the Truth.

Consider Jesus, turn from the darkness to Him, and be blessed!

asaph
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2003, 09:57:26 AM »

Very nice, asaph.  Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the