Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:35:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Parenting (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Are homeschoolers prepared for real world?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are homeschoolers prepared for real world?  (Read 1719 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2006, 09:10:28 AM »

Are homeschoolers prepared for real world?
Family shatters stereotype of socially immature, academically inferior graduates

OZARK-Clever resident Patti Hobbs' eyes light up and the smile widens across her face as she begins talking about her six children. When Hobbs first ventured into the homeschool world nearly 20 years ago, many probably considered her family an outcast. Homeschoolers were thought to be socially immature and academically inferior. However, the Hobbs children, like so many homeschooled children in today's age, have proven those statements wrong.

Nate and Ben Hobbs have both graduated with honors with bachelor's degrees from the University of Missouri-Rolla. They are both currently enrolled in the doctorate programs at different universities.

Ben Hobbs, 22, said homeschooling not only prepared him for college, but for life as a responsible adult.

"The education I received didn't merely prepare me for the next academic level, but also instilled in me responsibility, moral values and a love of learning," he said. "Academically, the transfer between homeschooling and college was smooth. I found no gaps in my education. Like everyone, I struggled in some areas more than others. However, even in the areas in which I struggled, the accountability and desire to learn provided by my homeschooling background, combined with the expertise of professors, helped me to improve quickly."

Ben Hobbs said the transfer from homeschooling to college on a social level was a bit nerve-racking. However, public and private schooled teenagers experience these same fears.

""I was definitely nervous at first and I would agree that my background made me more nervous than a typical public school student," he said. "Regardless of the fact that I was nervous, I was excited and eager about living and learning independently, far from home. I wanted to test myself and see how I would react to a new environment."

Sam Hobbs, a sophomore at Gutenberg College in Oregon, said he was also nervous when transitioning from home to college-especially in a classroom environment.

"Isn't everyone?" was his initial reply after being asked if he was nervous to attend college. "I was not used to being in a classroom with a bunch of other kids and was not used to being talked at by a person who I could not stop and ask questions of."

That didn't affect him, however, Sam Hobbs took it as a learning experience.

As far as study skills, Sam and Ben Hobbs agreed that homeschooling helped them develop proper study skills in order to better succeed in college.

"People's study habits are unique," Ben Hobbs said. "Homeschooling helps a student recognize how they learn, allowing them to develop the skills without binding them to a general predefined form. I think my study skills are better than a large portion of public school students because I have a stronger work ethic. Homeschooling rewards hard work by allowing students to get done early."

"I think that homeschooling was an excellent preparation for college," Sam Hobbs said. "I may not have been as familiar with the typical classroom settings, but it helped me to interact much more with the tutors and the older students."

Adjusting to a classroom setting is what Christian County homeschooled families viewed as the biggest obstacle for their children when entering college. However, it is not an obstacle difficult to overcome.

"I think my son will have an adjustment to being in a classroom situation, but he's very experienced at time management since he's been responsible for doing his school work independently for years now," said Joe Defazio, Ozark homeschool father of two. "I think he'll do well."

Sparta resident Shannon Wales said she was always appreciative of her parents decision to homeschool her and her seven siblings, however, taking college courses made her realize how much she truly benefited from being homeschooled.

"It made me really appreciate being homeschooled because I would get bored sitting there in the class listening to the teacher lecture," she said. "It just seemed to drag on and I wanted to get ahead."

Now that she is a wife and mother, Wales and her husband have already thought about the possibility of homeschooling their own children.

"I think we'd like to, but since we're not there yet," she said trailing off. Wales' son, Kaden, is only 8 months.

And Wales is not alone. Sam and Ben Hobbs both said they both plan to homeschool their future children. And according to "Homeschooling Grows Up," a research study on adults who were homeschooled, 74 percent of those who were homeschooled are currently homeschooling their own children.

"The results of the research defuse long-held false criticisms of homeschooling and seem to indicate that homeschooling produces successful adults who are actively involved in their communities and who continue to value education for themselves and their children," the study states.

Wales, who was homeschooled since the fourth grade, named a number of reasons for considering homeschooling her own children-including spirituality, morals and academics.

"I think the biggest thing is that I know what he is learning," she said. "There is always going to be a lot of influences and I don't always know what the teacher's beliefs are."

Wales also said that her son's education is important to her.

"By homeschooling, I think that I would be able to personalize what he learns by his interests, abilities, skills and talents," she said. "There are going to be challenges and I want him to expect and accept challenges. But he will be able to take the time that he needs to really learn it and not be pulled along by the rest of the class. I think he would be able to excel by having a study program more catered to his personal abilities."

The "Homeschooling Grows Up" survey said that out of the more than 5,000 surveyed, 95 percent say they are glad they were homeschooled and 92 percent say having been homeschooled is an advantage to them as adults.

There are exceptions to every rule. However, it appears that overall, homeschoolers are getting along just fine in the world. They are blending in with public and private school graduates and entering the same professions. They are involved with civic, community, political and religious affairs. And the number of children being homeschooled is on the rise.

Bambi Whitaker, Clever homeschool mother and on the board of directors for the Southwest Home Education Ministry, said parents who are considering homeschooling need to get as much information as possible "in order to make an informed decision."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Len

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 09:07:50 AM »

We have been asked about our 10 year old's socialization. I simply say I wouldn't want him socializing with most of the kids I see in public school. They have trashy mouths, no respect for adults...never mind peers, and are faring poorly academically.

There was one homeschool proponent who posted on a HS web site and addressed the "socialization issue". She said in order to provide the public school socialization, they performed the following acts for their children:

Monday..."Wedgie Day"...all their kids got wedgies; 

Tuesday..."Bully Day"...all their kids were taken outside and pushed to the ground;

Wednesday..."No Lunch Day"...all their kids forked over a fifth of their allowance;

Thursday..."Pop Quiz Day"...each kid were administered tests individually while the rest loudly whispered, "Pssst. What's the answer to number 3?"

Friday..."Peer Pressure Day"...each child is ridiculed for his/her clothing.

Of course, it was posted in jest but the point was made. We are blessed to be able to HS our son since K5. We are sure he would have been drugged and set in a corner. LOL. But what we found is that early on, he did not absorb anything if he was sitting still. My wife noticed that as she read to him, he was constantly moving. She figured it was a lost cause till she tested him at the end of the day. He had heard and absorbed every detail of what she read to him. He was a 100% little boy with a huge energy reservoir and needed to work it all out. And now he has grown out of most of it and still does well academically. Parents' involvement in every facet of a child's life is critical to the welfare of their children. Scripture gives a great example of this fundamental truth in the Shema in Deuteronomy 6. I believe that, by extension, it applies to life even beyond spiritual guidance.     

Other than God, nobody loves a child as much as his own mom and dad. That love should manifest itself in time spent together.

Are homeschoolers ready for the real world? I think the question should be, "Is the real world ready for homeschoolers?"

"The Lord is my portion says my soul. Therefore, I will hope in Him."
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 09:48:17 AM »

"Is the real world ready for homeschoolers?"

Amen!

It is a proven fact that homeschooled children fair far better than those in public schools. College entrance exams, Military entrance exams. How these children perform academically as well as socially has in most cases excelled those of others.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Len

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 10:37:03 AM »

And I am sure I do not miss the mark if I say it is because parents are in God's will as it pertains to raising our children.

"The Lord is my portion says my soul. Therefore, I will hope in Him."
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 10:43:20 AM »

You're not missing the mark at all, in fact you are right on it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the