Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:39:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Laughter (Good Medicine) (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Are we allowed to laugh?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are we allowed to laugh?  (Read 3447 times)
smartinez1984

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2006, 02:28:21 PM »

I was in a discussion with my 20-yr old son the other night regarding his life, his new-found passion for Christ, and his future. He said a few things to me that generated a general sense of confusion about what a child of God is or is not allowed to do. One of those was doing things that bring pleasure to the flesh and his belief that such pleasures are basically a no-no.

My son is a fantastic musician (drummer), I'm biased of course, and he mentioned that he could no longer play drums because he was gaining personal satisfaction from it. He elaborated by giving an example; "when I'm playing the drums it feels great, when I accomplish something on the drums that is difficult it brings a joy, pride, to me that I should not experience". That discussion was extended to playing video games, watching movies, pretty much anything brings joy to the flesh is a no-no. He quoted the apostle Paul "it is not I who lives" verse and noted that it refers essentially to just that - we cannot do things that bring any joy to this flesh because we are not intended to "live" anymore for ourselves but allow Christ to live in/through us.

So, that made me wonder, and it made me sad to think that this is potentially the way it "could" be. There are many things that bring joy to my life, from spending time with my wife, hitting a golf ball nice and straight (rare), playing the guitar, riding my Harley, watching college football, etc.

What does the bible REALLY say about that? Are we supposed to be totally immersed in God to the point where nothing else really matters, including living this life?

-Samson
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:30:03 PM »

God doesn't want us walking around with a sad face all the time. Music can be a good thing. We see in many places in the Bible where there is joy in music. It is what we do with that joy that matters.

A fitting scripture on this is found in Romans:

Rom 14:19  Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
Rom 14:20  For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
Rom 14:21  It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
Rom 14:22  Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
Rom 14:23  And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Yes this portion of scripture is talking specifically about eating of meat but it also applies to all things that we do in this world. Music does not destroy the work of God. It is when we place such things in a position over God that it becomes sin.

Do you put golfing ahead of God, do you put riding your Harley before serving God? If so then it could be a sinful thing for you. Do you put your enjoyment in those to the benefit of the Lord?

There is a group that I know that enjoys riding Harleys. This group uses that to serve the Lord, witnessing to all they get to meet. I would not consider that a sin.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 01:35:41 PM »

Hello smartinez1984, God tells us to make a joyful noise.

Psalm 66:1 [To the Chief Musician. A song. A Psalm.] MAKE A joyful noise unto God, all the earth;

Psalm 95:1 O COME, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the Rock of our salvation!

Psalm 95:2 Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to Him with songs of praise!

Psalm 98:4 Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; break forth and sing for joy, yes, sing praises!

I have to agree with Pastor Roger making music for the Lord, serves the Lord.  These that I have posted for you, deals with music.

Glorybound

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 02:42:26 AM »

As Christians we should be the happiest of people. I feel such joy every time I think about what I have to look forward to.
God created us for his Glory and to serve him and we should do it with happiness. All of our talents are from God be it singing, playing music,writing, speaking etc.I believe it would be wrong not to enjoy them,and to enjoy life in general

Search me O God,and know my heart; try me and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting-Psalms 139
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 07:12:01 AM »

As Christians we should be the happiest of people. I feel such joy every time I think about what I have to look forward to.
God created us for his Glory and to serve him and we should do it with happiness. All of our talents are from God be it singing, playing music,writing, speaking etc.I believe it would be wrong not to enjoy them,and to enjoy life in general

Amen!

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 04:42:39 PM »

I agree with everything that has been stated. 

I have one concern however as well.  Smartinez, you need to pray and study your Bible.  I know a group of so called Christians that are in that train of thought and they are truly a cult.  Your only tools is the word of God and prayer.  Sit and talk with your son and study the Bible together.  Do not focus on just that topic but get a couple of topics ready that you want to study and discuss.  Invite your pastor over for a study as well (or someone you know that is more scholarly ). 

The Bible tells us as mentioned above to sing unto the Lord.  Where was the Lords first miracle performed?  At a party, He did not condemn the party and say it was wrong.  As a matter of fact He was in attendance.  Jesus wroght great joy in seeing the salvation of others.  And explain to him that all of the emotions were created by God.  Even anger.  It is what we do with those emotions that matters.  Your son is correct that if he plays the drums for himself and keeps it self centered it is a sin because it comes before God.  But if he plays for God and uses his talents to fulfill the Great Commission then God will be pleased.  He needs to remember that it is God who gave him those talents and not for him to squander them.  Read the parable of the talents...someone help me on the verses because my Bible is actually not with me today...which is very very unusual.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 04:55:55 PM »

Matthew 25:14-30 The parable of the talents.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 05:01:31 PM »

Thank you sir...always good at remembering the stories...just not where they are at...which is why I usually always carry my Bible with me Smiley

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 06:49:48 PM »

You're most welcome brother. I understand the memory thing ... I'm lucky at times to remember anything. It is only by the grace of God that I do.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the