Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:02:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Spiritual Gifts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spiritual Gifts  (Read 18717 times)
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2003, 07:59:38 AM »

I noticed in another thread somethings being said about speaking in tongues.So i had a few qeustions on gifts and rather post them there,thought they required there own topic.I beleive that speaking in tongues happens.My qeustion is ive noticed some people speak in tongues when they want to as if they had control over it,which i always thought wasnt the real deal?Iam i correct in assuming this?Also i have never spoke in tongues,but iam a born again christian.

1 Corinthians 14

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 12:41:08 PM »

I noticed in another thread somethings being said about speaking in tongues.So i had a few qeustions on gifts and rather post them there,thought they required there own topic.I beleive that speaking in tongues happens.My qeustion is ive noticed some people speak in tongues when they want to as if they had control over it,which i always thought wasnt the real deal?Iam i correct in assuming this?Also i have never spoke in tongues,but iam a born again christian.

1 Corinthians 14

jabez,

If you are a born again christian, you have been baptized into the Body of Christ and have been given a spiritual gift or gifts, by the same Spirit, who according to 1 Cor 12;

1 Cor 12
4  Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5  And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6  And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7  But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8  For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9  To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10  To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

1 Cor 14
2  For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
22  Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:
39  Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Note this verse in particular;

11,................ divides the gifts to every man according to His will as it hath pleased Him. (vs 18)

For the purpose vs 25  That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

Note, that not all receive the same gift, imagine if everyone was a tongue, the church would be a monstrous looking thing, but just a physical body is perfectly made when complete, has many members, with different functions, doing different operations, and functions, while caring for itself. If one member suffers all suffer.

So our gifts, are that we might use them to edify and lift up one another, and keep out what is foreign to the body, because just as foreign matter in a physical body, weakens and infects it, so the foreign things which seek to enter into the Body of Christ seek to injure and destroy it, this includes heretical teachings, which bring in schisms, and evil works and thinking.

Since it is God, who has given you your own speciual gift, you can be assured it is perfect for you, and you should use to edify and bear up others with it.

This is the purpose of them.   Not all have the gift od tongues.  Not all can teach, not all, can prophecy (give out God word)nor discern spirits..........and so on.

I trust you know what your gift is, if not you may want to pray God, make it known to you that you might grow to use it, for the building up of the Body of Christ.

Blessings,

Petro

Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 01:24:57 PM »

::Spiritual Gifts::

1.Message of Wisdom
2.Message of  Knowledge
3.Faith
4.Gifts of Healing
5.Miraculous Powers
6.Prophecy
7.Ability to distinguish between spirts
8.Speak in Tongues
9.Interpretation of tongues

Is there some where that goes into more detail of the gifts?Or can someone give examples of them?Also do we have only one gift or many?

Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 04:12:01 PM »

Hi Jabez,

Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Here is a link to one of the best articles I have ever read on tongues.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/joeflorence/tongues.html

pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 04:29:08 PM »

::Spiritual Gifts::

1.Message of Wisdom
2.Message of  Knowledge
3.Faith
4.Gifts of Healing
5.Miraculous Powers
6.Prophecy
7.Ability to distinguish between spirts
8.Speak in Tongues
9.Interpretation of tongues

Is there some where that goes into more detail of the gifts?Or can someone give examples of them?Also do we have only one gift or many?

jabez,

To the church, he has given or ordained men with these peculiar gifts. (1 Cor 12:28)

And since you or I or anyone could rise to the level of excersizing some of these, then it wopuld stand to reason, some may have more than one.

For instance you may have the gift of discerning of Spirits (vs 10), and also, helps (vs 28).

Blessings,

Petro

PhilKosba

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 06:12:12 AM »

I noticed in another thread somethings being said about speaking in tongues.So i had a few qeustions on gifts and rather post them there,thought they required there own topic.

That is very good Jabez.

I beleive that speaking in tongues happens.

Yes, it does. By His grace, I do speak in tongues.

My qeustion is ive noticed some people speak in tongues when they want to as if they had control over it,which i always thought wasnt the real deal? Iam i correct in assuming this?

Sorry Jabez, your assumption is not correct. Speaking in tongues, here biblical gift of the Spirit, is also like speaking in any other human language. But as this is a gift from God, you need to receive this gift by faith. For it is written, it is is impossible to please God without faith (ref. Heb.11:6). Several people think that God the Holy Spirit, like a dentist, comes and puts this gift in their mouths. It is not so. One has to receive it by faith, for Christian living is by faith, not by site. "And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. " (Acts 2:4)

Language is also known as tongue, as in mother tongue. As you speak English language only when you want/like to speak, you can speak in tongues only when you want to speak. It is under your control. For it is written, "the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets." (1 Cor. 14:32) Once you start to speak in tongues, you will know this.

Also i have never spoke in tongues,but iam a born again christian.

Praise God that you found His grace to become a born again child of God. What you next have to do is to get baptized in water (if not yet). Read the Book of Acts and 1 Corinthians chapters 12-14 carefully and prayerfully. Remember what John the Baptist said about the Lord Jesus (Matthew 3:11 and Luke 3:16) ? Ask the Lord Jesus, the Mighty Baptizer, to baptize you in His Holy Spirit, bursting out into tongues.

Remember, the most important subject in receiving the Holy Spirit is unconditional forgiveness. Otherwise, you will never receive the Holy Spirit. So, if you think you have to forgive anyone for anything, get right with them first and go to Lord Jesus with thirst to drink. Without thirst no one can drink. He will fill you. Trust Him! " On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and proclaimed, "If any one thirst, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in me, as the scripture has said, 'Out of his heart shall flow rivers of living water.'" (John 7:37-38; attributes added).

For your information, there are actually 21 spiritual gifts out of which 9 are categorized as major gifts of the Holy Spirit. These 9, also known as power/demonstrating gifts, are divided into 3 groups of 3 gifts each:

A. Gifts of Revelation
     1. Word of Wisdom
     2. Word of Knowledge
     3. Gift of Discerning spirits

B. Gifts of Communication
     1. Gift of Speaking in Tongues
     2. Gift of Interpretation
     3. Gift of Prophesy

C. Power Gifts
     1. Gift of Faith
     2. Gift of Healing
     3. Gift of Working Miracles.

Jabez, if you could receive by faith the most important of all, the Eternal Life, then you can receive this gift also by faith. Hope to hear glad news from you soon. Blessings!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 06:30:24 AM by PhilKosba » Logged

Cry from the Hell: "Why did I ignore Jesus?"
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 08:51:56 AM »

very good reply thank you.

I have been baptized,iam just looking for better understanding to qeustions i have personally.I always thought that speaking in tongues was something we had no control over.Ive seen people speak in tongues as they pleased.

Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 10:22:23 AM »

Iam going to do a research on the speaking of tongues,and i will report back with what i find.

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 11:41:45 PM »

I believe that when the scriptures were completed, the canon was closed and that this gift is no longer in use. My understanding is that these were known languages used for evangelizing and spreading the gospel.

Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2003, 07:46:38 AM »

**What ive learned so far**

1 corinthians 13:7-10

Which suggest to me that tongues will be stillled,to me meaning stopped.

**Also i found there to be two kinds of tongues..

1.Xenoglossia: (a.k.a. Zenolalia, Xenoglossia) This is the miraculous ability to spontaneously speak a foreign language without first having learned it, or even been exposed to it.
*Example of Xenoglossia Acts 2:1-13

Filled with the Holy Spirit, the believers began to speak in other languages they neither learned nor understood. The result was that many passers-by heard the gospel proclaimed in their own languages. In bewilderment, they became convicted by the message they heard and became believers in Jesus Christ.

2.Glossolalia: The Interpreter's One-Volume Commentary on the Bible defines glossolalia as: "the ecstatic utterance of emotionally agitated religious persons, consisting of a jumble of disjointed and largely unintelligible sounds. Those who speak in this way believe that they are moved directly by a divine spirit and their utterance is therefore quite spontaneous and unpremeditated.
*Example of Glossolalia 1 corinthians 14:2

Iam still studing this,so i havent made any conclusions yet,but it is very interesting.If anyone knows of any other verses or studies i would appreciate them.I will post more as i find them..GOD Bless
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 08:44:37 AM by Jabez » Logged

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2003, 12:28:20 PM »

I believe that when the scriptures were completed, the canon was closed and that this gift is no longer in use. My understanding is that these were known languages used for evangelizing and spreading the gospel.
I agree, for the most part, although I believe *some* tongues were used for prayer between the soul and God. (i.e., the reference to a prayer that the soul enjoys but the mind doesn't comprehend.) These may or may not have been known human languages. But then, I wasn't there, I don't know!  Smiley

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2003, 01:42:40 PM »

My understanding is that when tongues were spoke in the public church, they were to be interpreted, and this was a message from God to the church.
And, as Willowbirch said, there is also tongues in your private closet of prayer, which then is you, by the Holy Spirit, speaking to God.
And the third is when God speaks through you in a language you do not know, but He is speaking to the listener. Of this last I have read stories of it happening.One was a missionary who started preaching the gospel to an African tribal chief in Swahili, which he could not speak, and the chief knew he could not speak. The chief and his whole tribe became Christians. Of this last story I cannot state it to be true, for I was not there, but the missionary is a true man of God.
I just sugest you ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the truth about this to you. Do not go by what I or others may say, unless it is confirmed to you by Him.

Blessings in Christ as you seek.  Roy.

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2003, 05:00:25 AM »

Amen

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2003, 03:23:00 AM »

**What ive learned so far**

1 corinthians 13:7-10

Which suggest to me that tongues will be stillled,to me meaning stopped.

**Also i found there to be two kinds of tongues..

1.Xenoglossia: (a.k.a. Zenolalia, Xenoglossia) This is the miraculous ability to spontaneously speak a foreign language without first having learned it, or even been exposed to it.
*Example of Xenoglossia Acts 2:1-13

Filled with the Holy Spirit, the believers began to speak in other languages they neither learned nor understood. The result was that many passers-by heard the gospel proclaimed in their own languages. In bewilderment, they became convicted by the message they heard and became believers in Jesus Christ.

2.Glossolalia: The Interpreter's One-Volume Commentary on the Bible defines glossolalia as: "the ecstatic utterance of emotionally agitated religious persons, consisting of a jumble of disjointed and largely unintelligible sounds. Those who speak in this way believe that they are moved directly by a divine spirit and their utterance is therefore quite spontaneous and unpremeditated.
*Example of Glossolalia 1 corinthians 14:2

Iam still studing this,so i havent made any conclusions yet,but it is very interesting.If anyone knows of any other verses or studies i would appreciate them.I will post more as i find them..GOD Bless

jabez,

You may be on the right tract, I also, noticed this many years ago.

Glossolalia, could very well be what ceased, when that which is perfect comes.

While the other, which is a gift, and between men and God, has not.

Either way, one can be assured of this one thing, if men subject themself to the Lord, it will become evident, there are churches that try to conduct services, whereby they recognize this is not totally clear (that tongues ceased in churches) and have commited themseolves to holkd services in accordance with these commandments, whereby they give opportunity for their members to speak in tongues but must be interpreted, and from what I have gathered they say it has never occured, if this is true, it could very well be that this type of tongues is ceased.

The one which is, one of the listed gifts, whereby men speak to God, and not to man (1 Cor 14:2) may not have come to an end, I don't see, any reason for men to cease speaking to God, this always has been between man and God, and perhaps a form of prayer.

This has never been my gift, so I don't spend alot of time, worrying about this.  I just say only  God knows, and according to verse 2, the man that speaks to God, speaks mysteries in the spirit, which means to me, he may not even know what he is saying himself.

However as soon as this man begings speaking to men, I know it is not the tongues mentined in Chap 12, we can be assured of this truth.

Any way the answer is in the scriptures, in do time Christians will know..

Petro

Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2003, 11:01:26 AM »

I beleive this type of tongues still happens,the type where your spirt is talking to GOD,and where your spirt is talking to the church with a interpter.

I still dont understand this..Can people speak in tongues when they want?I beleive that they can not.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the