Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:38:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Forgiveness of Sins and Salvation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forgiveness of Sins and Salvation  (Read 34904 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 02:14:51 PM »

VI. Again--when Micah ends his prophecy, in high glow of rapture he exclaims, "Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea." (Micah 7:18-19.)

The whole passage is bright as the mid-day sun in tidings of complete forgiveness. Let the last words only be noted. Where will all our sins be cast? Not on the surface of the waves--then they might float, be grasped, and brought again to land. No! they shall be deeply buried in ocean's lowest caverns, in the abyss of mighty waters, in the profundities of unfathomable depths. No more can any line extend to their concealing grave--no toil or skill can any more upraise them. They lie utterly beyond recovery--extrication is impossible. Thus the Apocalypse describes utter destruction--"A mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all." (Rev. 18:21.)

Is all the fruit now gathered from Scripture's tree of complete forgiveness? No--abundance yet remains. Laden branches still drop their golden treasures--but at present enough has been said to awaken the full flow of gratitude.

Are there any who feel that they cannot sing, "Bless the Lord, O my soul, who forgives all your iniquities"? The warning against such is fearful. They claim no portion in forgiveness! If they are unforgiven, what is their present condition--what their future doom? Let not the warning be unheeded. There is a broad path leading downwards to a prison-house where forgiveness never comes.

http://www.gracegems.org/
Our literature is public domain—use it in any way you desire.
No monetary donations accepted. "Freely you
have received, freely give." Matthew 10:8

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2006, 06:57:36 PM »

The COMPLETENESS of Forgiveness (part 2)

"I, even I, am He that blots out your transgressions for My own sake, and will not remember your sins."--Isaiah 43:25

The Holy Spirit in the plenitude of His love seems never to weary in multiplying statements to console, enliven, and strengthen the children of faith. His abundant evidence of the completeness of forgiveness is proof. We are not left to the partial light of slender rays of hope--to constructive arguments from obscure premises--to a fabric of conclusion resting on unstable foundations. We are not sent to extract soul-ease from weak and ambiguous terms. Much is so strongly and so exuberantly said, that the beaming cup of instruction on this point can scarcely hold more. The pastures of this truth are green and spacious and refreshing--the river of this comfort flows on in broad and deep channels. Whoever are wise will largely use this full provision. Let them listen to the cry, "Eat, O friends, drink--yes, drink abundantly, O beloved." They will not grieve the Spirit by refusing to be cheered, when He so strives to cheer.

Let minds now revert to a precious statement on the completeness of forgiveness. Casual reference has already been made to it; but it stands out in proportions so grand and noble that it demands enlarged attention. Let it be heard again--"I, even I, am He that blots out your transgressions for My own sake, and will not remember your sins."

Thought here contemplates--(1) the Speaker, "I"; (2) the repetition, "I, even I"; (3) the completeness "that blots out your transgressions, and will not remember your sins"; (4) the moving cause, "for my own sake."

cont

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2006, 06:58:41 PM »

I. The SPEAKER. Whose voice thus proclaims obliteration of transgressions? "Hear, O you heavens, and give ear, O earth;" hear, you sons of men, and all who breathe the breath of life. A silver trumpet thus introduces the word--"Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel." "I am the Lord, your Holy One, the Creator of Israel, your King." Jehovah speaks from His high throne--our God announces this complete remission. If other lips had thus addressed offenders, the word might have been empty, worthless, vain, and even worse--it might have relieved no doubts--healed no wounds--diffused no peace. Sin is terrible, because it is an offence against God. The offended One alone, can remit its penalties. There is sound intelligence in the question, "Who can forgive sins but God alone?" "To the Lord our God," and to the Lord our God alone, "belong mercies and forgivenesses." It is rich mercy that the sole Dispenser of forgiveness here speaks. He whose hands alone contain the gift, opens them wide to scatter the blessing; He who only holds the key, unlocks His treasure-house of pardon.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006, 06:59:50 PM »

II. The REPETITION. "I, even I, am He." The Person who forgives, twice shows Himself. This reduplication cannot be without strong cause--weighty motive must impel the Speaker; for there are no superfluous words from divine lips. It is at once apparent that our God, in the riches of His grace, desires thus to awaken attention, to rivet thought, to banish apprehension, to deepen confidence, to inscribe the truth deeper on the heart, to engrave it vividly and indelibly. Hence the timidity of doubt assumes the aspect of impiety--incredulity becomes insult. Here not only simple repetition appears; it appears with super-added emphasis--"I, even I." I, whom so many provocations have outraged; I, on whom your every movement has heaped affront; I, to whose happiness your salvation is not needful; I, whose justice would gain everlasting glory from your endless punishment--"I, even I, am He that blots out your transgressions."

This important view is powerfully established by the context. Let it be heard in illustration of forgiving grace.

The preceding verses exhibit Jehovah arrayed in robes of majesty. As Creator He claims service from the creatures of His hands; He demands the due revenue of adoration--"This people have I formed for myself--they shall show forth my praise." The scene then changes; and He confronts them with appalling charges. In these, as in a mirror, the vileness of the human heart is seen. Worship is not rendered; prayer is withheld; communion is shunned and avoided.

"But you have not called upon Me, O Israel." Here is the sin of utter disregard--proud indifference cares not to seek communion. Here is the haughty language--Who is the Lord that I should seek Him? When such disregard prevails, service will be regarded as intolerable burden--it will be felt as an oppressive yoke. Hence the next words utter the reproach--"But you have been weary of Me, O Israel." Dreadful indeed is the state of alienation, when the worship of the Most High is shunned as irksome drudgery! It follows, "You have not brought Me the lambs of your burnt offering, neither have you honored Me with your sacrifices." The picture of irreligion darkens in frightfulness--all appointed ordinances are neglected; all due observance is withheld.

God then condescends to reason with these children of impiety. He shows that His demands imposed no burden--on the contrary, they were light and easily discharged. "I have not caused you to serve with an offering, nor wearied you with incense." But though requirements gave neither cost nor difficulty, they were contemned, and parsimonious neglect evinced. "You have bought Me no sweet cane with money; neither have you filled Me with the fat of your sacrifices." The reproach is next adduced, that not only honor, reverence, service, worship, were withheld; indignities were also heaped on God, and masses of sins were piled upon Him. He is weighed down--He is crushed--He is buried beneath the grievous load. "You have made Me to serve with your sins--you have wearied Me with your iniquities."

Such is the picture of man's hardness, ingratitude, and contempt of God. Much might most justly have been expected--provocation is the only return. Can a poor worm of earth thus venture to scorn Jehovah--to wrong Him--to tread Him beneath insulting feet? But it is so. The charge is unanswerable. What can the consequence be? Will patience cease to forbear? Will wrath arise? Will indignation blaze? Will fury stride forth? Will heaven's thunder peal, and lightnings tear, and the gaping earth devour? Will plague and pestilence do their worst? Will the broom of destruction sweep such offenders into the abyss of ruin?

The sentence follows. "I, even I, am He that blots out your transgressions for My own sake, and will not remember your sins." What exquisite pathos--what melting tenderness--what marvelous grace! How godlike--how unlike the utterance of man! Can eye behold and not overflow with tears? Can heart hear and not melt? Such is our God--such is our Gospel. Can we marvel that it triumphs and wins souls! Thus the Gospel is the proclamation of free, complete forgiveness; and thus it goes forth, conquering and to conquer. "I, even I; am He that blots out your transgressions for My own sake, and will not remember your sins."

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2006, 07:01:16 PM »

III. Thus the focal luster of the word is reached--the completeness of forgiveness. God ordains forgiveness absolute, unbounded, unrestricted, unlimited, unfenced by boundaries, unconfined by barriers. He erects a lofty throne, on which this grace supremely reigns. This lesson is inculcated by the often repeated term, "He blots out." The Spirit again and again draws attention to the significant expression. David, out of penitential depths, pleads with God for entire remission of his guilt. This is his chosen phrase "Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your loving-kindness--according to the multitude of Your tender mercies  blot out my transgressions." Again "Hide Your face from my sins, and  blot out all my iniquities." Agonizing for complete forgiveness, his wrestling cry adopts the term "blot out."

It is true that the word has different shades of meaning, according to its context; but its main and general significance is neither vague, nor obscure, nor indistinct. It generally places sins in the most formidable light as registered and recorded debts. It displays them as written in the pages of a book of reckoning, rigidly--exactly--without extenuation; and then leads to the fact that they are completely erased--obliterated; expunged. Not merely crossed-out, for then they might be read again, and subsequent demand be made; but so eradicated that no trace can be discerned. The reckoning page no longer holds a single charge--no letter recording a claim remains. This general message is beyond dispute--one confirmation will suffice. Moses prays, "Yet now, if You will, forgive their sin; and if not, blot me, I ask You, out of the book which You have written." And the Lord said unto Moses, "Whoever has sinned against Me, him will I blot out of My book." Hence blotting out imports obliteration from the pages of a book. The term thus expresses complete erasure from condemning records.

To stamp reality on the picture of complete forgiveness, to fill to the brim the cup of grateful joy, let thought go forth to meet the Great White Throne. Behold, the books are opened; the register of sins disclosed. Where can condemning entries be found? Doubtless, innumerable charges had been noted; no violation of the Law had been overlooked. Expectation now looks for accusations to be certified; for sentence to be pronounced; for condemnation to be inflicted; for the mandate of execution to issue. But where is the charge? No statement of sins appears--omniscience finds them not. The accuser is baffled, foiled, and silenced. Proof fails. No evidence remains on which to base his charges.

But where are the sins? Without controversy they were perpetrated and recorded. They are "blotted out." By whom? Whose hand can reach and touch that book? I, says the Almighty God--"I, even I, have blotted out your transgressions for My own sake." I have sprinkled the page with obliterating blood; I have cleansed it with the purifying merit of a most precious death. Thus all indictments vanish. Thus justly, righteously, gloriously is the believer absolved--thus he is completely, utterly, everlastingly pardoned. "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1.)

Can believers desire more? Are they not more than satisfied? Is not the heart swelling and breaking with adoration? Will they not renew the song--"Who is a God like unto You, who pardons iniquity, and passes by the transgression of the remnant of His heritage?" Will they not exultingly reiterate, "All manner of sin shall be forgiven unto the children of men"?

But while called to such exuberant delight, gloom may occasionally cloud the brow. The believer may realize that all his sins are pardoned, and erased from accusing documents; that condemnation cannot touch him; that reconciliation is his purchased treasure; that smiles of favor beam around him; that heaven's bliss and glory shall be his everlasting portion. But the vexing thought may intrude, that God's memory will continually recall his many and his mighty sins. He tremulously may reason, If I cannot forget, will not God remember too? Amid all tokens of divine love, will not my mind revert to former scenes, and be downcast? I shall see, or think I see, amid heaven's smiles, a reminder of my sinful course on earth.

Let such thought be cast into oblivion's lowest depths. It is unscriptural--it is derogatory to the glorious Gospel of free grace. Mark how the word contradicts it--"I will not remember your sins." This forgetfulness is a bright article of the Covenant of Grace. It is there clearly announced--"I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." (Jer. 31:34.)

Let none say, How can this be? Let it not be objected, such mental process is contrary to all experience--it is alien to the properties of retentive thought. Let it be remembered that we are now dealing with God--His ways are not our ways. It is impious to limit Him to human incapacity--what is impossible to the creature is possible to Him. The question is--Has He thus spoken? If so, it must be true, and will be realized to the full extent. The immutable word is, "I, even I, am He that blots out your transgressions for My own sake, and will not remember your sins." No reverting look will ever recall the believer's guilt--the smile of bright, eternal forgiveness cannot be clouded. Forgiveness is complete.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 07:02:52 PM »

IV. The moving cause may not be overlooked. The Holy Spirit again gives it prominence. God's glory is the ultimate design of forgiveness. Man reaps eternal benefit; but the spring from which the blessing flows is high in heaven. Man and man's deeds are universal provocation--in him there is no moving merit. If God did not originate forgiveness for the glory of His name, no sin could have been blotted out. But God's glory is His final end; therefore He blots out transgressions "for His own sake."

Thus He maintains a glorious name. Thus heaven shall re-echo with His praise, and eternity prolong, the grateful hallelujah. Thus all His attributes shall be displayed in one blaze of light. Mercy, tenderness, love and patience; shall not be eclipsed by justice, holiness, and truth. One portion of perfections shall not gain priority; but all shall sit harmoniously on one throne. Therefore, for His own sake, He opens a door for this complete forgiveness to go forth.

Who will not now pray with David, "For Your name's sake, O Lord, pardon my iniquity, for it is great." And with Daniel, "O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive; O Lord, hearken and do; defer not, for Your own sake, O my God." (Dan. 9:19.)

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2006, 07:05:31 PM »

The BLESSEDNESS of Forgiveness  (part 1)

"Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered."--Psalm 32:1

Scripture exhibits many portraits of the blessed man--each abounds in lovely charms, and claims devout attention. In all there is a common feature--amid much diversity one similitude prevails. None rank among the blessed ones, who have not received forgiveness of sin. Apart from realizing views of pardon, there is no blessedness; for there is no abiding joy in the heart--no glowing beauty in the life--no solid hope in the future prospect. Let forgiveness be withdrawn, and what is man? A brand blighted by curse--a withered branch fit only for the burning--a wretched outcast in a wilderness of woe--a convict awaiting just execution. Scripture rejects such from its worthies. Blessed only is he "whose transgression is forgiven."

The subject has now advanced to this point of blessedness. But what expanded thoughts can grasp this glorious theme! What fervent words can adequately paint the bliss! Can temporal mercies be named in comparison? Their whole assemblage multiplied and magnified to all excess, is dim before this treasure. Without this adjunct their fullness is utter emptiness--their satisfaction is a mere blank--their sweetest cup holds no refreshment.

The sun may brightly shine--the breezes softly fan--wealth may fill the coffers--domestic joys may happily abound--friends may caress, health may be in firmest vigor; but amid these, and more than these delights, the unpardoned soul is empty, downcast, and forlorn. Such benefits in themselves are shadows with no substance. They cannot command continuance--a trembling hand holds them insecurely. Separation is near--soon, very soon, they may depart. An angry God looks angrily on all; and in His anger there is disconsolation, apprehension, dismay, misery. Nothing really smiles beneath God's frown; and this frown looks sternly on the unforgiven.

Can angelic blessedness compete with this enjoyment? Doubtless angels live and shine in supreme happiness forever--their wings expand in heaven's sunshine; but they come short of the ecstatic joy of reading reconciliation in a Father's face. They cannot sing, "Jesus loved us, and gave Himself for us, and bought us with the most precious price of His most precious blood." They cannot extol forgiveness springing from the heart of God, and flowing to them through the pierced side of the Lamb of God. There is, then, a blessedness which exceeds theirs--it is the blessedness of the man "whose transgression is thus forgiven."

This blessedness now invites review. It comes with two-fold aspect. It has an EXCLUDING hand, driving away all misery--it has an ADMITTING hand, bringing in all joys. It firmly banishes all affrighting foes; it erects a strong barrier against heart-trouble; it releases from the grasp of threatened woe; it slays disquietudes; it stands conqueror over tormenting apprehensions; it spoils all terrors of their sting; it sits in triumph over all causes of soul-anxiety. Collect all the enemies which terrify the heart--their weapons are blunted by forgiveness. In this fearful group the most prominent are, (1) the wrath of God, (2) the curse of the Law, (3) an accusing conscience, (4) the fear of death, (5) the dreadfulness of eternity. Let the several links of this appalling chain be marked in order.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2006, 07:07:36 PM »

I. GOD'S WRATH appears. Its form is DREADFUL; it justly comes to execute just vengeance. It is RIGHTEOUS; it is righteously aroused to vindicate His outraged rule. It is MIGHTY; it has unlimited command of every instrument by which misery can be inflicted. No human arm can resist. Where can the guilty hide from it? Let now the sinner meet it with forgiveness in his hand--instantly the avenging sword is sheathed, the thunderbolts of fury fall harmless! Why? The provoking cause is gone; therefore anger ceases--it dies at the feet of the forgiven man. The shipwrecked mariner on a rock of safety smiles upon the waves, the tempest, and the winds--their fury is escaped. Thus the forgiven survey the threats of wrath, and tremble not--no commission goes forth against them. "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven."

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2006, 08:04:06 PM »

II. Next, the CURSE OF THE LAW rolls terrifically. Its voice is indeed the thunder's inexorable roar. It has no heart to melt into relentings--its stern frown cannot relax into compassion. It is charged to fall with all its weight upon each violator of its decrees--it must do this work unsparingly. An immitigable proclamation precedes it--"Cursed is every one that continues not in all things that are written in the Book of the Law to do them." Nothing but forgiveness can defy this curse. But the forgiven man calmly meets the uplifted arm--with thwarting plea he arrests its fury. He can truly say, "I am no more subject to such penalty--I hold absolute immunity. Christ, on Calvary's cross, endured my total curse--for me my Surety has exhausted this vengeance." In the Ark the rescued family marked unmoved the swellings of the engulfing deep; in Zoar's shelter Lot looked upon the fiery deluge, and felt that he was safe--so the sinner, sheltered in forgiveness, hears undismayed the blasts of legal threats. "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven."

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2006, 08:06:45 PM »

III. Next, CONSCIENCE is a restless troubler.  Conscience is privy to the most secret movements of the mind; its eye is keen to mark all deviations from right course--its hand fails not to record; its memory refuses to forget. It cannot but be an adversary to sin; its voice is active in recital of past deeds--it shows in fearful array long trains of thoughts, and words and acts which no oblivion can bury. These are ready to re-appear at the judgment-bar; and they are justly liable to wrath.

This conscience, as a cruel tormentor, often haunts the terrified offender. How can it be shaken off? Where can escape be found? Let now 'forgiveness' appear. It meekly confesses the truth of every charge--it extenuates no guilt; but it points to the book of remembrance, and shows every transgression erased--all iniquity blotted out. Then the conscience is lulled into sweet peace. The debtor no more turns pale at the creditor's approach, if he holds a discharge earned by the payment of a sufficient surety. The rebel flees not from the officer, if he can show the royal seal of pardon. So the sinner, who has received obliteration of every offence in the vicarious blood, peacefully produces his acquittal, and silences all threats of this accusing monitor. "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven."

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2006, 08:12:29 PM »

IV. DEATH to the unpardoned is an enemy clad in armor of terrors. Death comes on with step which never pauses; with hand outstretched, and ever nearing, to bear its victim from this short-lived scene. Its touch will soon extinguish mortal life, and perhaps most suddenly. Then reprieves are ended--the last sand of God's forbearance falls through; the worn-out thread snaps. Hiding-places no more can shelter--all fabricated refuges crumble away. Death is commissioned to dissipate all groundless hopes. Death bears the sinner from earth to meet the judgment-bar, at which delusions vanish, and all is the reality of solemn truth. Hence life-long apprehensions torment. But 'forgiveness of sins' changes the whole prospect--it deadens death's sting. This sting is sin--but forgiveness expunges sin, and so destroys the sting, and leaves the foe spoiled of his destroying weapon. The captive fears not the jailer's step, when he knows that he comes only to release. The forgiven can deliberately say, Jesus is my Friend, who purchased pardon for me; and death is my friend, who bears me to His arms. "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven."

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2006, 08:22:55 PM »

V. But to the unforgiven man ETERNITY is the most terrifying prospect. He cannot extricate himself from everlasting existence; he cannot extinguish the torch of never-dying consciousness--he must drag on a never-ending day. He may sigh, "Will no night come?" The answer is, "Time is no more." Millions of years bring no end nearer--millions upon millions of ages, do not change the unchangeable expanse. Misery must be misery forever. The worm ever gnaws--the furnace never cools. Oh! what a marvel is it, that a sinner not delivered from eternal wrath can be free from agonizing fear! But forgiveness dispels all these forebodings. What shall he fear whose sins are all washed out? Eternity's long day will not revoke forgiveness. It is as ever living as its Author, "I am that I am."

Such the blessedness of him "whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered," when viewed from the negative position of excluded terrors. It is high ground of happiness, and truly blessed are they whose feet stand firmly on it.

But the whole is not yet told. The hill of forgiveness has a more SUNNY side--the lips of the forgiven sing a sweeter song; pardon brings yet more ecstatic joys. Into the deeper flood, the Lord willing, our barks shall shortly launch.

But here a pause is made, with an appeal to shivering souls, strangers to this precious blessedness. Such is a sad condition--and it is voluntary, self-bound misery. Can more have been done by our gracious God to encourage sinners to enter upon this region of blessedness? Let the workings of His love be pondered--let Him be seen from all eternity arranging counsels of peace, sending His well-beloved Son to shame and agony, accepting His blood as full satisfaction for iniquity--and doubts must vanish as to His readiness to pardon. Let His long forbearance and His patient tarrying be marked. Is it not proof that He desires not the sinner's death, but rather is waiting to give welcome in the blood and mediation of His Son?

All out of hell, are within reach of pardon. Witness His faithful volume, so full of assurances, promises, calls. Could He have written more clearly, more largely, more lovingly to testify His delight in mercy? In His Gospel-ordinances forgiveness is the foundation-stone. They all are nothingness and mockery, unless God abounds in pardons. Is there no truth in the testimony of saints in all ages, who have tasted and found this gift of gifts? Are inviting calls a cheat? They surely testify that all who draw near to Him in Christ undoubtedly obtain forgiveness. Clinging to Him in prayer, in Scripture, in ordinances, in holy, watchful, self-denying, God-fearing walk, they exclaim--His forgiving goodness and pardoning grace exceed all thought. Glad experience confirms, "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered."

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2006, 03:24:25 PM »

The BLESSEDNESS of Forgiveness  (part 2)

"Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered."--Psalm 32:1

The blessedness of the man whose transgression is forgiven presents fresh topics of happy thought. Advance will be more intelligent, if his state is rapidly reviewed. By the light and power of the Spirit he has discerned forgiveness springing from the depths of God's heart, provided by the infinitude of God's wisdom--flowing in the channel of the blood of Jesus--extending to his utmost need, and effectually cleansing his soul from all pollution. He gives thanks for this gracious gift dispensed in the harmonious concurrence of every Divine attribute. He welcomes and recognizes it as holy, just, and good; alike suitable to his ruined case, and bringing glory to God who wills, and plans, and bestows. Therefore, fleeing from every vain refuge, renouncing hollow confidences, he has embraced the sin-expiating cross, he has washed in the all-cleansing stream, and so has entered the blessed region of the pardoned. Such is his spiritual state--a state interwoven with all blessedness.

Hitherto the view of his blessedness has been negative. It has been exhibited as a barrier beating back all the waves which drown peace. Let the scene now change--let the positive benefits appear. The former aspect was calm, because of the banishment of ruffling fears--this latter is far more joyous, because of the overflowing of all delights. Let us proceed then to sit down on the sunny side of redemption's hill, to bask beneath heaven's most invigorating rays, to roam in the richest pastures of God's choicest mercies, to draw water with joy from the very depths of salvation's well. Here is a spiritual paradise, where trees abound laden with richest fruit, and flowers diffusing sweetest fragrance. Here are groves of heavenly melody. At every turn hearts cannot refrain from singing, "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven."

This positive blessedness invites attention from various points. It evidently includes (1) filial contemplation of God; (2) happy communion with Him; (3) bright views of providence; (4) alleviation in sickness; (5) comfort in death; (6) acquittal at the judgment-bar; (7) glory throughout eternity.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2006, 03:25:25 PM »

I. FILIAL CONTEMPLATION OF GOD. The forgiven man is bold to lift up his eyes and calmly to gaze on God. No clouds, no darkness intervene--no mantle shrouds the Father's face. Ready smiles sweetly look down. The light of His countenance clearly shines. His throne is in heaven, but it is a throne of grace--His seat is lofty, but it is a mercy-seat. His hands are full, but they dart no thunderbolts of wrath--they hold blessings for His adopted children. Glory is the encircling halo, but it is the glory of parental love. The forgiven man looks upward, and such is the sight which cheers him. He seeks God's face, and fears not. He acquaints himself with God, and is at peace. He studies God, and rejoices with joy unspeakable and full of glory. Is it not true, "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven"?

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2006, 03:26:14 PM »

II. HAPPY COMMUNION WITH GOD. Can the forgiven man thus lift up his eyes and not seek communion? The beauty and the grace mightily attract. He approaches--nothing forbids free access; nothing separates God from man but sin. But this dividing barrier is removed--this obstructing partition has been leveled--this intervening gulf has been bridged. Forgiveness has swept away all hindrances. He holds in his hand the blood which opens the gates. Thus washed he comes to the very presence--to the audience-chamber, to the bosom of His God. With filial love he cries, "Abba, Father." He hears in reply, "My son." He is bold to pour forth floods of petition, to tell out all the secrets of his heart. Loving ears receive--loving lips reply. Sweet is this communion--hallowed is this fellowship. He dwells in God and God in him--heaven is frequented in spirit before earth is left. The forgiven flies upward and finds this welcome. It must be conceded, "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven."

cont

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the