Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:45:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Closer Look At The Book Of Proverbs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Closer Look At The Book Of Proverbs  (Read 17188 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2006, 07:38:37 PM »

Pr 6:6 ¶ Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:

Pr 6:7 Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler,

Pr 6:8 Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.

Pr 6:9 How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?

Pr 6:10 Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:

Pr 6:11 So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2006, 07:39:53 PM »

MHCC

A rebuke to slothfulness.

6-11 Diligence in business is every man's wisdom and duty; not so much that he may attain worldly wealth, as that he may not be a burden to others, or a scandal to the church. The ants are more diligent than slothful men. We may learn wisdom from the meanest insects, and be shamed by them. Habits of indolence and indulgence grow upon people. Thus life runs to waste; and poverty, though at first at a distance, gradually draws near, like a traveller; and when it arrives, is like an armed man, too strong to be resisted. All this may be applied to the concerns of our souls. How many love their sleep of sin, and their dreams of worldly happiness! Shall we not seek to awaken such? Shall we not give diligence to secure our own salvation?

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2006, 07:47:07 PM »

Pr 6:12 ¶ A naughty person, a wicked man, walketh with a froward mouth.

Pr 6:13 He winketh with his eyes, he speaketh with his feet, he teacheth with his fingers;

Pr 6:14 Frowardness is in his heart, he deviseth mischief continually; he soweth discord.

Pr 6:15 Therefore shall his calamity come suddenly; suddenly shall he be broken without remedy.

Pr 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

Pr 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

Pr 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

Pr 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2006, 07:49:59 PM »

MHCC

Seven things hateful to God. (12-19)

12-19 If the slothful are to be condemned, who do nothing, much more those that do all the ill they can. Observe how such a man is described. He says and does every thing artfully, and with design. His ruin shall come without warning, and without relief. Here is a list of things hateful to God. Those sins are in a special manner provoking to God, which are hurtful to the comfort of human life. These things which God hates, we must hate in ourselves; it is nothing to hate them in others. Let us shun all such practices, and watch and pray against them; and avoid, with marked disapproval, all who are guilty of them, whatever may be their rank.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2006, 07:56:06 PM »

Pr 6:20 ¶ My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother:

Pr 6:21 Bind them continually upon thine heart, and tie them about thy neck.

Pr 6:22 When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee.

Pr 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:

Pr 6:24 To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman.

Pr 6:25 Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids.

Pr 6:26 For by means of a whorish woman a man is brought to a piece of bread: and the adulteress will hunt for the precious life.

Pr 6:27 Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned?

Pr 6:28 Can one go upon hot coals, and his feet not be burned?

Pr 6:29 So he that goeth in to his neighbour's wife; whosoever toucheth her shall not be innocent.

Pr 6:30 Men do not despise a thief, if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is hungry;

Pr 6:31 But if he be found, he shall restore sevenfold; he shall give all the substance of his house.

Pr 6:32 But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul.

Pr 6:33 A wound and dishonour shall he get; and his reproach shall not be wiped away.

Pr 6:34 For jealousy is the rage of a man: therefore he will not spare in the day of vengeance.

Pr 6:35 He will not regard any ransom; neither will he rest content, though thou givest many gifts.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2006, 07:58:23 PM »

MHCC

Exhortations to walk according to God's commandments. (20-35)

20-35 The word of God has something to say to us upon all occasions. Let not faithful reproofs ever make us uneasy. When we consider how much this sin abounds, how heinous adultery is in its own nature, of what evil consequence it is, and how certainly it destroys the spiritual life in the soul, we shall not wonder that the cautions against it are so often repeated. Let us notice the subjects of this chapter. Let us remember Him who willingly became our Surety, when we were strangers and enemies. And shall Christians, who have such prospects, motives, and examples, be slothful and careless? Shall we neglect what is pleasing to God, and what he will graciously reward? May we closely watch every sense by which poison can enter our minds or affections.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2006, 08:34:01 AM »

MHC

INTRODUCTION TO PROVERBS CHAPTER 7

The scope of this chapter is, as of several before, to warn young men against the lusts of the flesh. Solomon remembered of what ill consequence it was to his father, perhaps found himself, and perceived his son, addicted to it, or at least had observed how many hopeful young men among his subjects had been ruined by those lusts; and therefore he thought he could never say enough to dissuade men from them, that

"every one may possess his vessel in sanctification and honour, and not in the lusts of uncleanness."

In this chapter we have,

I. A general exhortation to get our minds principled and governed by the world of God, as a sovereign antidote against this sin, Pr 7:1-5.

II. A particular representation of the great danger which unwary young men are in of being inveigled into this snare, Pr 7:6-23.

III. A serious caution inferred thence, in the close, to take heed of all approaches towards this sin, Pr 7:24-27.  We should all pray,

"Lord, lead us not into this temptation."

Ver. 1. thru Ver. 5.

These verses are an introduction to his warning against fleshly lusts, much the same with that, Pr 6:20, &c, and ending (Pr 7:5) as that did (Pr 7:24), To keep thee from the strange woman; that is it he aims at; only there he had said, Keep thy father's commandment, here (which comes all to one), Keep my commandments, for he speaks to us as unto sons. He speaks in God's name; for it is God's commandments that we are to keep, his words, his law. The word of God must be to us,

1. As that which we are most careful of. We must keep it as our treasure; we must lay up God's commandments with us, lay them up safely, that we may not be robbed of them by the wicked one, Pr 7:1. We must keep it as our life: Keep my commandments and live (Pr 7:2), not only,

"Keep them, and you shall live;" but, "Keep them as you would your life, as those that cannot live without them."

It would be death to a good man to be deprived of the word of God, for by it he lives, and not by bread alone.

2. As that which we are most tender of: Keep my law as the apple of thy eye. A little thing offends the eye, and therefore nature has so well guarded it. We pray, with David, that God would keep us as the apple of his eye (Ps 17: 8 ), that our lives and comforts may be precious in his sight; and they shall be so (Zec 2: 8 ) if we be in like manner tender of his law and afraid of the least violation of it. Those who reproach strict and circumspect walking, as needless preciseness, consider not that the law is to be kept as the apple of the eye, for indeed it is the apple of our eye; the law is light; the law in the heart is the eye of the soul.

3. As that which we are proud of and would be ever mindful of (Pr 7:3):

"Bind them upon thy fingers; let them be precious to thee; look upon them as an ornament, as a diamond-ring, as the signet on thy right hand; wear them continually as thy wedding-ring, the badge of thy espousals to God.  Look upon the word of God as putting an honour upon thee, as an ensign of thy dignity. Bind them on thy fingers, that they may be constant memorandums to thee of thy duty, that thou mayest have them always in view, as that which is graven upon the palms of thy hands."

4. As that which we are fond of and are ever thinking of: Write them upon the table of thy heart, as the names of the friends we dearly love, we say, are written in our hearts. Let the word of God dwell richly in us, and be written there where it will be always at hand to be read.  Where sin was written (Jer 17:1) let the word of God be written. It is the matter of a promise (Heb 8 :10), I will write my law in their hearts)), which makes the precept practicable and easy.

5. As that which we are intimately acquainted and conversant with (Pr 7:4):

"Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister, whom I dearly love and take delight in; and call understanding thy kinswoman, to whom thou art nearly allied, and for whom thou hast a pure affection; call her thy friend, whom thou courtest."

We must make the word of God familiar to us, consult it, and consult its honour, and take a pleasure in conversing with it.

6. As that which we make use of for our defence and armour, to keep us from the strange woman, from sin, that flattering but destroying thing, that adulteress; particularly from the sin of uncleanness, Pr 7:5. Let the word of God confirm our dread of that sin and our resolutions against it; let it discover to us its fallacies and suggest to us answers to all its flatteries.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2006, 08:38:14 AM »

Pr 7:1 ¶ My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.

Pr 7:2 Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.

Pr 7:3 Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.

Pr 7:4 Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman:

Pr 7:5 That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.

MHCC

Invitations to learn wisdom. (1-5)

1-5 We must lay up God's commandments safely. Not only, Keep them, and you shall live; but, Keep them as those that cannot live without them. Those that blame strict and careful walking as needless and too precise, consider not that the law is to be kept as the apple of the eye; indeed the law in the heart is the eye of the soul. Let the word of God dwell in us, and so be written where it will be always at hand to be read. Thus we shall be kept from the fatal effects of our own passions, and the snares of Satan. Let God's word confirm our dread of sin, and resolutions against it.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2006, 09:34:21 AM »

Pr 7:6 ¶ For at the window of my house I looked through my casement,

Pr 7:7 And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,

Pr 7:8 Passing through the street near her corner; and he went the way to her house,

Pr 7:9 In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night:

Pr 7:10 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.

Pr 7:11 (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house:

Pr 7:12 Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.)

Pr 7:13 So she caught him, and kissed him, and with an impudent face said unto him,

Pr 7:14 I have peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my vows.

Pr 7:15 Therefore came I forth to meet thee, diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee.

Pr 7:16 I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with carved works, with fine linen of Egypt.

Pr 7:17 I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.

Pr 7:18 Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let us solace ourselves with loves.

Pr 7:19 For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey:

Pr 7:20 He hath taken a bag of money with him, and will come home at the day appointed.

Pr 7:21 With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him.

Pr 7:22 He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;

Pr 7:23 Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life.

Pr 7:24 ¶ Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.

Pr 7:25 Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.

Pr 7:26 For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.

Pr 7:27 Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.

MHCC

The arts of seducers, with warnings against them. (6-27)

6-27 Here is an affecting example of the danger of youthful lusts. It is a history or a parable of the most instructive kind. Will any one dare to venture on temptations that lead to impurity, after Solomon has set before his eyes in so lively and plain a manner, the danger of even going near them? Then is he as the man who would dance on the edge of a lofty rock, when he has just seen another fall headlong from the same place. The misery of self-ruined sinners began in disregard to God's blessed commands. We ought daily to pray that we may be kept from running into temptation, else we invite the enemies of our souls to spread snares for us. Ever avoid the neighbourhood of vice. Beware of sins which are said to be pleasant sins. They are the more dangerous, because they most easily gain the heart, and close it against repentance. Do nothing till thou hast well considered the end of it. Were a man to live as long as Methuselah, and to spend all his days in the highest delights sin can offer, one hour of the anguish and tribulation that must follow, would far outweigh them.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2006, 07:17:46 PM »

MHC

INTRODUCTION TO PROVERBS CHAPTER 8

The word of God is two-fold, and, in both senses, is wisdom; for a word without wisdom is of little value, and wisdom without a word is of little use. Now,

I. Divine revelation is the word and wisdom of God, and that pure religion and undefiled which is built upon it; and of that Solomon here speaks, recommending it to us as faithful, and well worthy of all acceptation, Pr 8:1-2. God, by it, instructs, and governs, and blesses, the children of men.

II. The Redeemer is the eternal Word and wisdom, the Logos. He is the Wisdom that speaks to the children of men in the former part of the chapter. All divine revelation passes through his hand, and centres in him; but of him as the personal Wisdom, the second person in the Godhead, in the judgment of many of the ancients, Solomon here speaks, Pr 8:22-31. He concludes with a repeated charge to the children of men diligently to attend to the voice of God in his word, Pr 8:32-36.

Ver. 1. thru Ver. 11.

The will of God revealed to us for our salvation is here largely represented to us as easy to be known and understood, that none may have an excuse for their ignorance or error, and as worthy to be embraced, that none may have an excuse for their carelessness and unbelief.

I. The things revealed are easy to be known, for they belong to us and to our children (De 29:29), and we need not soar up to heaven, or dive into the depths, to get the knowledge of them (De 30:11), for they are published and proclaimed in some measure by the works of the creation (Ps 19:1), more fully by the consciences of men and the eternal reasons and rules of good and evil, but most clearly by Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. The precepts of wisdom may easily be known; for,

1. They are proclaimed aloud (Pr 8:1): Does not Wisdom cry? Yes, she cries aloud, and does not spare (Isa 58:1); she puts forth her voice, as one in earnest and desirous to be heard. Jesus stood and cried, Joh 7:37. The curses and blessings were read with a loud voice by the Levites, De 27:14. And men's own hearts sometimes speak aloud to them; there are clamours of conscience, as well as whispers.

2. They are proclaimed from on high (Pr 8:2): She stands in the top of high places; it was from the top of Mount Sinai that the law was given, and Christ expounded it in a sermon upon the mount.  Nay, if we slight divine revelation, we turn away from him that speaks from heaven, a high place indeed, Heb 12:25. The adulterous woman spoke in secret, the oracles of the heathen muttered, but Wisdom speaks openly; truth seeks no corners, but gladly appeals to the light.

3. They are proclaimed in the places of concourse, where multitudes are gathered together, the more the better. Jesus spoke in the synagogues and in the temple, whither the Jews always resorted, Joh 18:20.  Every man that passes by on the road, of what rank or condition soever, may know what is good, and what the Lord requires of him, if it be not his own fault.  There is no speech nor language where Wisdom's voice is not heard; her discoveries and directions are given to all promiscuously. He that has ears to hear, let him hear.

4. They are proclaimed where they are most needed. They are intended for the guide of our way, and therefore are published in the places of the paths, where many ways meet, that travellers may be shown, if they will but ask, which is the right way, just then when they are at a loss; thou shalt then hear the word behind thee, saying, This is the way, Isa 30:21. The foolish man knows not how to go to the city (Ec 10:15), and therefore Wisdom stands ready to direct him, stands at the gates, at the entry of the city, ready to tell him where the seer's house is, 1Sa 9:18. Nay, she follows men to their own houses, and cries to them at the coming in at the doors, saying, Peace be to this house; and, if the son of peace be there, it shall certainly abide upon it.  God's ministers are appointed to testify to people both publicly and from house to house. Their own consciences follow them with admonitions wherever they go, which they cannot be out of the hearing of while they carry their own heads and hearts about with them, which are a law unto themselves.

5. They are directed to the children of men. We attend to that discourse in which we hear ourselves named, though otherwise we should have neglected it; therefore Wisdom speaks to us:

"Unto you, O men! I call (Pr 8:4), not to angels (they need not these instructions), not to devils (they are past them), not to the brute-creatures (they are not capable of them), but to you, O men! who are taught more than the beasts of the earth and made wiser than the fowls of heaven. To you is this law given, to you is the word of this invitation, this exhortation sent.  My voice is to the sons of men, who are concerned to receive instruction, and to whom, one would think, it should be very welcome.  It is not, to you, O Jews! only, that Wisdom cries, nor to you, O gentlemen! not to you, O scholars! but to you, O men! O sons of men! even the meanest."

6. They are designed to make them wise (Pr 8:5); they are calculated not only for men that are capable of wisdom, but for sinful men, fallen men, foolish men, that need it, and are undone without it:

"O you simple ones! understand wisdom. Though you are ever so simple, Wisdom will take you for her scholars, and not only so, but, if you will be ruled by her, will undertake to give you an understanding heart."

When sinners leave their sins, and become truly religious, then the simple understand wisdom.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2006, 07:18:56 PM »

II. The things revealed are worthy to be known, well worthy of all acceptation. We are concerned to hear; for,

1. They are of inestimable value. They are excellent things (Pr  8 :6), princely things, so the word is. Though they are level to the capacity of the meanest, yet there is that in them which will be entertainment for the greatest.  They are divine and heavenly things, so excellent that, in comparison with them, all other learning is but children's play.  Things which relate to an eternal God, an immortal soul, and an everlasting state, must needs be excellent things.

2. They are of incontestable equity, and carry along with them the evidence of their own goodness. They are right things (Pr  8 :6), all in righteousness (Pr  8 : 8 ), and nothing froward or perverse in them. All the dictates and directions of revealed religion are consonant to, and perfective of, the light and law of nature, and there is nothing in them that puts any hardship upon us, that lays us under any undue restraints, unbecoming the dignity and liberty of the human nature, nothing that we have reason to complain of. All God's precepts concerning all things are right.

3. They are of unquestionable truth.  Wisdom's doctrines, upon which her laws are founded, are such as we may venture our immortal souls upon: My mouth shall speak truth (Pr  8 :7), the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, for it is a testimony to the world. Every word of God is true; there are not so much as pious frauds in it, nor are we imposed upon in that which is told us for our good. Christ is a faithful witness, is the truth itself; wickedness (that is, lying) is an abomination to his lips.  Note, Lying is wickedness, and we should not only refrain from it, but it should be an abomination to us, and as far from what we say as from what God says to us. His word to us is yea, and amen; never then let ours be yea and nay.

4. They are wonderfully acceptable and agreeable to those who take them aright, who understand themselves aright, who have not their judgments blinded and biassed by the world and the flesh, are not under the power of prejudice, are taught of God, and whose understanding he has opened, who impartially seek knowledge, take pains for it, and have found it in the enquiries they have hitherto made. To them,

(1.) They are all plain, and not hard to be understood.  If the book is sealed, it is to those who are willingly ignorant. If our gospel is hidden, it is hidden to those who are lost; but to those who depart from evil, which is understanding, who have that good understanding which those have who do the commandments, to them they are all plain and there is nothing difficult in them. The way of religion is a highway, and the way-faring men, though fools, shall not err therein, Isa 35: 8 .  Those therefore do a great wrong to the common people who deny them the use of the scripture under pretence that they cannot understand it, whereas it is plain for plain people.

(2.) They are all right, and not hard to be submitted to.  Those who discern things that differ, who know good and evil, readily subscribe to the rectitude of all Wisdom's dictates, and therefore, without murmuring or disputing, govern themselves by them.

III. From all this he infers that the right knowledge of those things, such as transforms us into the image of them, is to be preferred before all the wealth of this world (Pr  8 :10-11): Receive my instruction, and not silver. Instruction must not only be heard, but received. We must bid it welcome, receive the impressions of it, and submit to the command of it; and this rather than choice gold, that is,

1. We must prefer religion before riches, and look upon it that, if we have the knowledge and fear of God in our hearts, we are really more happy and better provided for every condition of life than if we had ever so much silver and gold. Wisdom is in itself, and therefore must be in our account, better than rubies. It will bring us in a better price, be to us a better portion; show it forth, and it will be a better ornament than jewels and precious stones of the greatest value.  Whatever we can sit down and wish for of the wealth of this world would, if we had it, be unworthy to be compared with the advantages that attend serious godliness.

2. We must be dead to the wealth of this world, that we may the more closely and earnestly apply ourselves to the business of religion. We must receive instruction as the main matter, and then be indifferent whether we receive silver or no; nay, we must not receive it as our portion and reward, as the rich man in his life-time received his good things.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 07:21:02 PM by airIam2worship » Logged

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2006, 07:24:37 PM »

Pr 8:1 ¶ Does not wisdom cry out, And understanding lift up her voice?

Pr 8:2 She takes her stand on the top of the high hill, Beside the way, where the paths meet.

Pr 8:3 She cries out by the gates, at the entry of the city, At the entrance of the doors:

Pr 8:4 "To you, O men, I call, And my voice is to the sons of men.

Pr 8:5 O you simple ones, understand prudence, And you fools, be of an understanding heart.

Pr 8:6 Listen, for I will speak of excellent things, And from the opening of my lips will come right things;

Pr 8:7 For my mouth will speak truth; Wickedness is an abomination to my lips.

Pr 8:8 All the words of my mouth are with righteousness; Nothing crooked or perverse is in them.

Pr 8:9 They are all plain to him who understands, And right to those who find knowledge.

Pr 8:10 Receive my instruction, and not silver, And knowledge rather than choice gold;

Pr 8:11 For wisdom is better than rubies, And all the things one may desire cannot be compared with her.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2006, 07:25:48 PM »

MHCC

Christ, as Wisdom, calls to the sons of men. (1-11)

1-11 The will of God is made known by the works of creation, and by the consciences of men, but more clearly by Moses and the prophets. The chief difficulty is to get men to attend to instruction. Yet attention to the words of Christ, will guide the most ignorant into saving knowledge of the truth. Where there is an understanding heart, and willingness to receive the truth in love, wisdom is valued above silver and gold.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2006, 07:31:16 PM »

Pr 8:12 ¶ "I, wisdom, dwell with prudence, And find out knowledge and discretion.

Pr 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate.

Pr 8:14 Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom; I am understanding, I have strength.

Pr 8:15 By me kings reign, And rulers decree justice.

Pr 8:16 By me princes rule, and nobles, All the judges of the earth.

Pr 8:17 I love those who love me, And those who seek me diligently will find me.

Pr 8:18 Riches and honor are with me, Enduring riches and righteousness.

Pr 8:19 My fruit is better than gold, yes, than fine gold, And my revenue than choice silver.

Pr 8:20 I traverse the way of righteousness, In the midst of the paths of justice,

Pr 8:21 That I may cause those who love me to inherit wealth, That I may fill their treasuries.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2006, 07:34:44 PM »

MHC

Wisdom here is Christ,  in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge; it is Christ in the word and Christ in the heart, not only Christ revealed to us, but Christ revealed in us. It is the word of God, the whole compass of divine revelation; it is God the Word, in whom all divine revelation centres; it is the soul formed by the word; it is Christ formed in the soul; it is religion in the purity and power of it. Glorious things are here spoken of this excellent person, this excellent thing.

MHCC

The nature and riches of Wisdom. (12-21)

12-21 Wisdom, here is Christ, in whom are all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge; it is Christ in the word, and Christ in the heart; not only Christ revealed to us, but Christ revealed in us. All prudence and skill are from the Lord. Through the redemption of Christ's precious blood, the riches of his grace abound in all wisdom and prudence. Man found out many inventions for ruin; God found one for our recovery. He hates pride and arrogance, evil ways and froward conversation; these render men unwilling to hear his humbling, awakening, holy instructions. True religion gives men the best counsel in all difficult cases, and helps to make their way plain. His wisdom makes all truly happy who receive it in the love of Christ Jesus. Seek him early, seek him earnestly, seek him before any thing else. Christ never said, Seek in vain. Those who love Christ, are such as have seen his loveliness, and have had his love shed abroad in their hearts; therefore they are happy. They shall be happy in this world, or in that which is beyond compare better. Wealth gotten by vanity will soon be diminished, but that which is well got, will wear well; and that which is well spent upon works of piety and charity, will be lasting. If they have not riches and honour in this world, they shall have that which is infinitely better. They shall be happy in the grace of God. Christ, by his Spirit, guides believers into all truth, and so leads them in the way of righteousness; and they walk after the Spirit. Also, they shall be happy in the glory of God hereafter. In Wisdom's promises, believers have goods laid up, not for days and years, but for eternity; her fruit therefore is better than gold.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the