Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Prayer!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prayer!  (Read 1724 times)
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2003, 05:02:50 AM »

I thought I should mention this; I feel almost as though I've been born again, again, lol.

I'm a Christian, and I pray. Every night. Even if I'm half asleep, even if I forgot to brush my teeth, even if I have to get up in three hours. Wow, how faithful! R-right?

Last night I picked up the book "Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. Its a fictitious collection of one "tempter's" letters to his nephew. It sounds amusing, but its more like a devotional.

I thought about the following statement: (now, I didn't pay for permission to quote this, so don't tell!) *At the very least, they [humans] can be persuaded that the bodily position makes no difference to their prayers; for they constantly forget, what you [the tempter's nephew] must always remember, that they are animals [flesh] and that whatever their bodies do affects their souls.*

I suddenly realized that I had been guilty of selfish, inattentive, and dishonoring prayer! I had never thought about this! I generally force some psuedo-prayerful recitation while I am lying down, just before I go to sleep. In fact, a lot of times, I'm asleep before I've finished.  Cry But its still prayer, right? God still hears it, I'm still praying for the "right" things, aren't I?

I'm not about to get into a discussion on what does and doesn't qualify as spiritual prayer. But last night I prayed before bed, on my knees, with my eyes closed. I have a hardwood floor in my room; it wasn't comfortable. I didn't bring up totally different topics than usual. I didn't really pray for different people, or for different circumstances. I'm not a genius, I don't think up new stuff very easily.

I was not praying with a sloppy attitude; I found myself looking inward, and discovering little hidden darknesses that I have trouble bringing to mind when I'm almost asleep. Nothing I didn't know about, just things I'd been ignoring. There was a fervor and delight while I was praying that I rarely enjoy. When I finally went to bed, I was in tears, and there was a peace in my heart; I'd forgotten what prayer could be like.

I had no idea prayer could be influenced so much by the posture of our bodies! We can't force a spirit of worship and humbleness on our souls if our flesh is not under the same restraint! Paul "buffeted [his] body into submission." I'm not encouraging legalism here; legalistic prayer is just as miserable as the nonsense I often mutter just before I fall asleep. We are free in Christ, and we have the glorious opportunity to commune with Him through prayer! Why did I forget that?  Embarrassed

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
IrishAngel
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2003, 01:20:01 PM »

lol very good willow!

You`ve discovered the same thing I did awhile back, i`m glad you shared it!

I think of it like this, if your earthly father lived next door, and you waved to him every day, and  even chatted with him over the fence while you were busy working around the yard, does that qualify as quality time spent with your father, we can hardly say it does  eh.  Wink
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2003, 03:48:34 PM »

Grin

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 02:06:32 AM »

I never did tell you, Willowbirch, but that was a beautiful post!

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 11:50:33 AM »

I never did tell you, Willowbirch, but that was a beautiful post!
Thank you.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the