Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:03:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Witnessing is a drain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Witnessing is a drain  (Read 3926 times)
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2003, 01:23:09 PM »

well if Atheists don't believe in God then they believe in man. Their only hope is in this world. But if this world is destroyed and so is man, where is their hope then? Their hope is alive only as long as they live. When they die, their lives are over FOREVER. And of course, any of us could die tomorrow. Hell is simply life without the love of God. To me it would everlasting misery because I know God. For an atheist, he dies without ever having had his sins taken away. That means his legacy on earth is what he did on earth. His good deeds were done to glorify him not to glorify God because he doesn't believe in God. That of course is selfishness. That legacy can never be taken back, unless of course, a person asks for forgiveness. But atheists don't want forgiveness and for that reason, won't receive any.

When I generalize, i'm talking about belief systems. You generalize about Christians and atheists all the time. If you call yourself an atheist, then you adhere to that belief system...unless of course, you're lying. Which is it?
eyeball

metalic rabid canine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2003, 04:28:38 PM »

well if Atheists don't believe in God then they believe in man. Their only hope is in this world. But if this world is destroyed and so is man, where is their hope then? Their hope is alive only as long as they live. When they die, their lives are over FOREVER. And of course, any of us could die tomorrow. Hell is simply life without the love of God. To me it would everlasting misery because I know God. For an atheist, he dies without ever having had his sins taken away. That means his legacy on earth is what he did on earth. His good deeds were done to glorify him not to glorify God because he doesn't believe in God. That of course is selfishness. That legacy can never be taken back, unless of course, a person asks for forgiveness. But atheists don't want forgiveness and for that reason, won't receive any.

Heidi can you not understand that atheists do not believe in gods? We are not mad at gods, we do not hate gods, we just do not believe they exist.

You are exactly right on one point. You said, "That means his legacy on earth is what he did on earth." That's exactly  how most of us feel. That is why you don't have atheists running around murdering and looting all over the place. We have morals and we know the world is what we make it, and there is nothing afterwards. So to quote one of my grade school teachers, I use my time wisely.

Knox

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2003, 04:45:37 PM »

When I generalize, i'm talking about belief systems. You generalize about Christians and atheists all the time. If you call yourself an atheist, then you adhere to that belief system...unless of course, you're lying. Which is it?

Atheism is not a belief system. The only thing atheists are guaranteed to agree on is the lack of belief in deity.

"You generalize about Christians and atheists all the time."

Isn't that a gross generalization in itself?
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2003, 07:33:19 PM »

I, of course, have not denied generalizing and see nothing wrong with generalizing about people who profess to a certain belief system. You have identified yourself with a group of people who don't believe in God. Are you ashamed of your beliefs? If not, why do you care if someone generalizes about them?
AAAAmember

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2003, 09:02:36 PM »

I'll repeat what Knox said, because apparently you don't seem to get things easily.

ATHEISM IS NOT A BELIEF SYSTEM.

What more do I possibly need to do to get this point across to you!?!?!?  Go and tattoo it on your forehead!!!  Make a big giant neon sign with flashing lights that says "ATHEISM IS NOT A BELIEF SYSTEM" and put it where you can see it!!!  Make a voice recording of it and put it on full volume at constant repeat!!!

ATHEISM IS NOT A BELIEF SYSTEM!!!!!!

~AAAA
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2003, 09:47:41 PM »

Ah, but they do have a belief system, AAAA, they believe in their own opinions. If they don't believe their opinions, why do they have them? They put their faith in themselves. Christians believe in God's word, not their own word.
AAAAmember

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2003, 09:53:28 PM »

Having opinions is not a belief system.

My only belief right now is that you are totally unable to understand that ATHEISM IS NOT A BELIEF SYSTEM.

~AAAA

PS - Every time I read one of your posts, a tiny blood vessel bursts in my brain. Tongue
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 09:54:30 PM by AAAAmember » Logged
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2003, 10:11:43 PM »

I must have struck a strong nerve in you. Of course your opinions are beliefs. You endorse your belief that there is no God. To deny that is ludicrous and not even worth responding to.
AAAAmember

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2003, 10:14:13 PM »

The semantics can be quite tricky...let me help you out here.

Etymologically (that means "going by the word roots"), atheism means "without religion".  Atheists do not believe that "God does not exist", but simply "do not believe in God".

LACK of belief is not the same as BELIEF.

Someone can BELIEVE that God does not exist.

Or someone can NOT BELIEVE that God exists.

See the subtle difference there?  Makes all the difference in the world.

~AAAA
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 10:35:15 PM by AAAAmember » Logged
Neo
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2003, 10:32:54 PM »

Absence of belief is different from belief of absence.

AAAA and I lack belief in God. This is different from saying, "there is no God." Comprenez-vous?

Do you adhere to a belief system solely because you lack belief in Zarathestros the Goat Man, Bearer of the Prehensile Goatee of Wisdom (Blessed Be His Name)?

...I thought not.

(For those of you upon whom good sarcasm is wasted... that was sarcastic.)

And if witnessing is such a drain, maybe you should stop doing it.

Then we'd all be happy! Smiley

Have a nice day. Wink

Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2003, 10:44:35 PM »

I witness because I care about people's souls. It isn't as hard for me as it was for Jesus to die on the cross for us, even though some hate Him for it. I take solace in that. You don't realize, Neo, that your belief that there is no God is a belief. We all put our trust in something. Atheists trust their own beliefs or they wouldn't have them. They would believe something else instead.
Neo
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2003, 10:59:17 PM »

I'm going to explain this one more time, and I shall use small words so you'll be sure to understand.

There is a difference between absence of belief and belief of absence. I lack belief in God. I do not say, "God does not and cannot exist." I have no positive belief in reference to God.

I don't think there are any words over three syllables, so you should be all set. Smiley
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2003, 11:31:29 PM »

But you don't realize, Neo, if you have no belief in a power higher than yourself, then you HAVE to believe that you are the highest power. All of us can only know what we know. You don't KNOW anything higher than your own human mind, your thoughts, your feelings, and  your beliefs. YOU BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. Even your belief that there MIGHT be a God is still a belief that you strongly endorse.
Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2003, 02:06:54 AM »

I would like to first comment on what you first said Heidi.
You said since we cannot know who God has called, we have to witness to everyone. That is not true. If we are able to hear the Holy Spirit who lives in us speak to us, He will reveal to us who is ready to hear the truth, and guide us to them, or them to us.
Smith Wigglesworth one time was having dinner with his wife and another couple. Right in the middle of the meal, he told the other man, "come on, we have to go." The other man, knowing the Godliness of Smith, just said, O.K.
They went across town to a certain spot, where Smith told his friend to stop, then got out and told his friend to wait.
He walked across the road and sat on a big rock overlooking a cliff. In a few minutes a young man came along, and then sat down beside Smith. After witnessing to this young man about salvation, Smith came back to his friend and said, "O.K., we can go now." God had sent him to a man who was ready to hear the truth. It's just that most Christians don't hear God speaking to them because they do not take the time to listen.
So they have to go about doing it blindly, in a way.
I was going to speak to the atheists here, but think I will do so in another post.
Yours in Christ. Roy.

Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2003, 02:35:42 AM »

In this post I would like to speak to AAAA and any other atheist.
I had a tenant for 5 years who said he was an atheist. During those 5 years we had some very good conversations. As people, we both respected the other. He knew how I believed, and I knew how he believed. We accepted this in each other. Many conversations were just about everyday life, but many were also about God. Even today, he stops by to chat. We are friends of sorts. I like him as a person.
Of course I pray all the time that one day God will reveal the truth to Him. (as I'm sure he would do the opposite for me, if he prayed. HeHe).
I also have another ex-tenant who was also this way. We also stay in touch. I would go so far as to say I love him. He is very special to me.
With both of these men, I neither condemn them, nor do I 'preach at them'. But many of our talks are about God. A few times our conversations got heated, and we had to stop talking about God for that time. We both knew this. But we still have conversations about God.
One thing that both did not want to hear, and that Heidi was so right about, is this: you are religious. My religion is a belief in God. Your religion is a belief that there is no God. The truest definition of 'religion' is "a person's personal belief".
You have your beliefs about life, and I have mine. Both are what would be called our "religion".
The God who created you has given you the right to believe as you so choose. I will not dispute a right that my God has given you, and so I will respect you. I will disagree with you, but I will not deny that you have the right to believe as you do. And I will not try to convert you, until such a time as my Father tells me to speak to you about His truth. But I will be praying for you. For if my Father loves you, then I must also.
What you do not realize is that He is already at work in your lives, or you would not be at this forum. He has guided you here, and And I praise Him and thank Him for your presense here among us.
So I bid you welcome, and look forward to further honest discussions with you.
Your friend in Christ our Lord. Roy.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the