Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  Prayer Requests (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Could you pray for me?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could you pray for me?  (Read 17707 times)
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2003, 11:40:47 PM »

Alright. I have no choice but to pull out my debate skills. You will lose the debate. You've been warned. This is not a humble statement. But it is the truth. Smiley

One question at a tiem. Do you believe that the Bible is the inspired woird of God? Yea or nay.

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2003, 11:45:21 PM »

Alright. I have no choice but to pull out my debate skills. You will lose the debate. You've been warned. This is not a humble statement. But it is the truth. Smiley

Then I should warn you that I have just completed a divinity degree, and debates bring out the worst in me. I tend to go into attack-mode when I start debating - even playing "devil's advocate" on occasion.

One question at a tiem. Do you believe that the Bible is the inspired woird of God? Yea or nay.

At the moment? No. I would say that the Bible is a collection of myths, poetry, laws, histories about a particular near eastern God who I am particularly drawn to but cannot at the moment believe in. Were I to believe, that statement might change, but at the moment, there it is.

-Emma

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2003, 11:48:48 PM »

If that's the case, then what are you afraid of then? Your source of fear is in the Bible.

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2003, 11:53:45 PM »

If that's the case, then what are you afraid of then? Your source of fear is in the Bible.

I wouldn't say I was particularly afraid, but I understand what you're getting at.
As I mentioned, I am drawn to the God of the Bible - and I use that wording deliberately. If we want to understand that God, we have to go to the Bible, as it is the sourcebook for Christianity, no matter how liberal any particular type may be, they still source their ideas about God mainly in the Bible as an historical text. Hence, its importance to me when considering belief in Yahweh.

-Emma

And God will say:
I never knew you!
Never.

Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2003, 11:53:50 PM »

Another question. How can you fear a God and be drawn to a God you don't believe in?

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2003, 11:58:05 PM »

As I mentioned, I am drawn to the God of the Bible - and I use that wording deliberately.

How can you be? You said the Bible was myths and poems. Either that statement was inaccurate, or this one is.

If we want to understand that God, we have to go to the Bible, as it is the sourcebook for Christianity, no matter how liberal any particular type may be, they still source their ideas about God mainly in the Bible as an historical text. Hence, its importance to me when considering belief in Yahweh.

you said it was myths. History and mythology are incompatible. The nature of one is fact, the other fiction.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2003, 11:59:24 PM by Whitehorse » Logged

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2003, 11:59:01 PM »

Another question. How can you fear a God and be drawn to a God you don't believe in?

For several reasons. The first being simply that I know that God rather better than any others - knowing the Bible. Second is that this particular God really is the "God of my fathers" - it is the religion I was (more-or-less) brought up in. Third, I have looked at other religions and have not found them as emotionally appealing - I subjectively prefer Yahweh to other gods.
It is quite easy to be drawn to a God you are not sure you believe in - how else would any religion gain any converts at all? Everyone starts out unsure, and finds themselves attracted to any one religion or other before becoming a member of that religion.

And God will say:
I never knew you!
Never.

Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2003, 12:01:39 AM »

No one joins a religion they think is false. If the sourcebook for Christianity were myth as you say, you wouldn't be drawn to it. So we still need to know which statement you're sticking with. Either you think the Bible is false, or your statement that you're drawn to Yahweh is.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 12:10:31 AM by Whitehorse » Logged

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2003, 12:14:05 AM »

you said it was myths. History and mythology are incompatible. The nature of one is fact, the other fiction.

You misunderstand my use of the term "myth". I was using it as a term to refer to writings dealing with gods or heroes, not referring to false stories.

No one joins a religion they think is false.

I did not say Christianity was false. See above.

If the sourcebook for Christianity were myth as you say, you wouldn't be drawn to it. So we still need to know which statement you're sticking with. Either you think the Bible is false, or your statement that you're drawn to Yaweh is

Both statements are true : the Bible does contain writings dealing with the activities of God and of Israelite heroes, and therefore comes under the definition I have been using of "myth". My apologies for the confusion, I will endeavour to use clearer terms.

And God will say:
I never knew you!
Never.

Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2003, 12:23:46 AM »

Okay, so you believe the Bible is true. Good; now we know what we have to work with. Since you believe the Bible is true, then you must accept 2 Timothy 3: 16-17:

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

This says that all scripture is God-breathed. So you would have to accept that the Bible is God's inspired word.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 12:27:26 AM by Whitehorse » Logged

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2003, 12:31:47 AM »

Okay, so you believe the Bible is true. Good; now we know what we have to work with.

I was quite careful in how I phrased things. I do not believe the Bible is word-for-word true. I do believe it is, like other historical documents, biassed towards the author's viewpoint. The author being the men (and possibly women) who wrote it. I accept its spiritual truth, but not necessarily its historical truth. Though in that too, I do believe the majority of the history contained within it is true, but that certain things have been slightly altered, misremembered or similar, or placed with a slant for theological purposes.

This says that all scripture is God-breathed. So you would have to accept that the Bible is God's inspired word.

If you are leading to a declaration of inerrancy or infallibility for the Bible here, I should say that the term "inspiration" does not necessarily imply either. It can, and I believe it does, mean that the writers were moved by God to write, but remained themselves - that it was not dictated by God but written by men, with their understanding of God.

And, obviously, I believe there is more to know about God than the Bible teaches. But that is uncontentious.

-Emma

And God will say:
I never knew you!
Never.

Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2003, 12:35:49 AM »

Doesn't work. If any part of the Bible is untrue, the entire book is unreliable by virtue of the fact that the reliability has been impeached. If you accept it as true, then you have to accept that verse. Otherwise, you have to revert back to the falsehood statement. Either you think the Bible is true or you don't.

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2003, 12:41:27 AM »

Doesn't work. If any part of the Bible is untrue, the entire book is unreliable by virtue of the fact that the reliability has been impeached. If you accept it as true, then you have to accept that verse. Otherwise, you have to revert back to the falsehood statement. Either you think the Bible is true or you don't.

Incorrect. Quite apart from the fact that we know that certain parts of the Bible are untrue, just because such things exist does not require us to believe that the entire Bible is faulty.
You are making an either/or dilemma where none exists.

Let us take an example: we have all told a lie at some point. Therefore we should never believe a single word anyone says ever again.

True/false?

That is the false dilemma you are proposing with the Bible.

-Emma

(And on that note I will leave you for tonight, as it is late and I have to see the doctor tomorrow)

And God will say:
I never knew you!
Never.

Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2003, 12:45:12 AM »

No. Religion is a quest for truth. If the Bible were to have any error whatsoever, then the testimony of the book is impeached.

Okay, good night. I'm praying for you, and I'll talk to you soon.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2003, 08:56:20 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Broken,

Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life", and HE is. Jesus did not come into the world to condemn the world, but that the world, through HIM, might be saved. These truths are very important to concentrate on, especially when you are wondering about the ultimate truths, your Salvation, and your future.

If you are saved, you are safe, like a lamb in a flock with Jesus as the Good Shepherd. You may have strayed or stumbled, but Jesus will not leave or forsake even one of his flock.

If you are not saved, Jesus will accept you, regardless of what you may have done or not done. Words and the sinner's prayer are not sufficient. Belief and thoughts from your heart are required.

http://www.sirinet.net/~blkidps/besaved.html

I'm praying for you.

In Christ.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 09:33:09 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the