Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:34:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  Prayer Requests (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Could you pray for me?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could you pray for me?  (Read 17664 times)
TheComforter

Love, Hugs, and a Spoonfull of Spirit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2003, 01:44:46 PM »

Ancient and Honourable, John West.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2003, 05:29:54 PM »

Hi, Emma. With this information, I think the problem we have to address now actually sprouts from the seeds of something good. You understand and have embraced, as many people never do, that Jesus is both Savior and Lord. The two are inseparable, and you understand that. But you're also in a time of life when you're establishing your identity, and the Lordship part of the doctrine is difficult right now. The best way to embrace this, and this is what you need to enjoy the assurance of your faith, is to meditate on the goodness of God's Lordship, the wisdom He possesses and gives to anyone who wants it, and the fact that the earlier you embrace this the less griefs you'll have to struggle with for the rest of your life. Some people never get over their twenties. You can spare yourself that. It's important to spend a lot of time meditating on the Word, and to carefully select the influences you surround yourself with. Your number one priority must be the salvation of your soul. Anything that doesn't move you in this direction will pull you the opposite way.

Your sense of assurance may struggle, because being at peace with Christ's Lordship (and the dramatic life-change that comes with embracing that) might not come easy for a while. Growth takes time. The Lord will be faithful to lead you in this direction, as long as it's what you want, too.

The reason I think you'll be okay is, you fully understand that the Savior and Lord cannot be separated; it was in your thinking last night, but you could only (for now) embrace the Savior. That's what is drawing you. The cause of your distress is that you know you need to embrace your Lord, but don't feel you can. So that makes it easier to figure out which way to go to get your faith on track. There's a difference between faith and assurance. You have plenty of faith. It's the assurance you lack, and If you feel ready to do that, we can work in that direction.

Blessings to you.

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2003, 12:39:44 AM »

No. Religion is a quest for truth. If the Bible were to have any error whatsoever, then the testimony of the book is impeached.

Only if you make the book your God.

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2003, 10:52:48 AM »

Once unreliability has been established, you no longer know what is true and what is not. It's like pulling on a piece of canvas. It's strong and very hard to rip. But once you have a tear in the fabric, it tears very easily.

Even the New Testament establishes the need for witnesses whose testimonies are unimpeached. But you don't need to go to the NT for that; I just explained the logic of it. You can call any judge or lawyer in your community and have them explain to you what an impeached testimony is, and why it cannot be accepted in court. Or, you can just answer how you could ever know what was and wasn't true in scripture if you had proof that there was any error.

Be that as it may, the Bible is still entirely true whether or not you believe it; this goes back to what I said about the Savior/Lord. You're picking and choosing what think is true because you still want to have the Savior but you're not ready to submit to Him as Lord. You're distressed because God has, in His mercy, given your heart truth: you can't have one without the other. And that's why you're not sure what you believe. You know you have to submit to be saved, you know it's the truth, but you're not ready to do that just now, so you're saying it's okay to take part of the Bible without the rest. But ultimately you know you can't do that. You need to meditate on the fact that what you *think* you're losing when you submit to His rulership is no loss at all. In fact, what you think you want will become very bitter to you if God chooses to let you have it, if it steps outside His will.

chanelle

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2003, 12:15:38 PM »

I am so happy to see the improvement and help from so many here since I joined in April.  Thank you Whitehorse.  You are gifted and very helpful.  Praise God.  

Broken,  You are good for those who pray for you and are able to see answered prayers!

Ephesians 5:19-20
Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.  Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2003, 11:19:13 PM »

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2003, 12:26:17 AM »

Once unreliability has been established, you no longer know what is true and what is not. It's like pulling on a piece of canvas. It's strong and very hard to rip. But once you have a tear in the fabric, it tears very easily.

Doesn't happen if you have a God as well as a book, Whitehorse. Because you can ask.

Even the New Testament establishes the need for witnesses whose testimonies are unimpeached.

The Bible is not a valid witness of itself anyway.

You can call any judge or lawyer in your community and have them explain to you what an impeached testimony is, and why it cannot be accepted in court.

Yes, but that judge or lawyer would not say that because the witness told a lie once in his life about something rather inconsequential to his testimony, therefore his testimony is invalid, would they?

Or, you can just answer how you could ever know what was and wasn't true in scripture if you had proof that there was any error.

By having a God rather than a piece of paper.

Be that as it may, the Bible is still entirely true whether or not you believe it; this goes back to what I said about the Savior/Lord. You're picking and choosing what think is true because you still want to have the Savior but you're not ready to submit to Him as Lord.

Nope. Did you read my posts?
And about the infallibility thing - I was thinking of the Massacre of the Innocents. Simply didn't happen. It had a theological meaning, but not an historical one. Doesn't especially bother me, but then I'm not inclined to worship bits of paper.

In fact, what you think you want will become very bitter to you if God chooses to let you have it, if it steps outside His will.

I no longer care, Whitehorse. As I said, I've figured out for myself why nothing was working, so there really isn't any point to any of this any longer.

And God will say:
I never knew you!
Never.

Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2003, 02:56:07 PM »

Well, we do. We care, and we're still here. So what do you like to do?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2003, 10:00:35 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Broken,

The Holy Bible never ceases to amaze me. The messages, encouragement, comfort, instructions, and peace are timeless. Many people study it for a lifetime and receive something new every time they pick it up. It is far more than bits of paper. It is the Word of God. It lives because the Saviour Lives. The wealth of Goodness and Wisdom is not revealed to the casual reader. The real Content is revealed by the Holy Spirit to those who have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour and search for the TRUTH. If you are searching for the TRUTH, you will find it in the Holy Bible.

I pray that you will seek the TRUTH. If you do, you will also find Peace, Comfort, Joy, and Assurance. The Power in HIS WORD is The LIVING SAVIOUR, one who will never leave you, forsake you, or disappoint you.

In Christ.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2003, 02:12:33 PM »

Hear then ye the parable of the sower.
  When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the evil one, and snatcheth away that which hath been sown in his heart. This is he that was sown by the way side.
  And he that was sown upon the rocky places, this is he that heareth the word, and straightway with joy receiveth it;
  yet hath he not root in himself, but endureth for a while; and when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, straightway he stumbleth.
  And he that was sown among the thorns, this is he that heareth the word; and the care of the world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
  And he that was sown upon the good ground, this is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it(and receiveth it with joy--hehe, I added that, hehe--Symphony); who verily beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Matthew 13:18-23

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2003, 09:53:54 PM »

There's no point. I could talk about the theological truths of the bible till I went blue in the face but *shrug* no point, not for me, anyway.

And God will say:
I never knew you!
Never.

Bolted against me.
-Cowper
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2003, 12:32:09 AM »

There's no point. I could talk about the theological truths of the bible till I went blue in the face but *shrug* no point, not for me, anyway.

Oklahoma Howdy to Broken,

You may have identified part of the problem. The Holy Bible is not just another text to study in school. It is living history; past, current, and future. It is Almighty God, Jesus Christ, The Holy Spirit, events that are happening now, and events that will come to pass in the future. There is Everlasting Life in the Holy Pages, including your's. Jesus is just as real and LIVING as you are.

Look at the Holy Bible as the only true and accurate history of mankind, the universe, and ALMIGHTY GOD. It is the non-fiction BEST SELLER of all time and always will be. It is real and LIVES because the words are inspired and breathed by ALMIGHTY GOD. There is no beginning and no ending. Take another look.

In Christ.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2003, 04:49:33 AM »

I'm praying for you, Emma...

In Jesus' Name...
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2003, 08:46:16 PM »

You may have identified part of the problem. The Holy Bible is not just another text to study in school. It is living history; past, current, and future. It is Almighty God, Jesus Christ, The Holy Spirit, events that are happening now, and events that will come to pass in the future.

Ugghhhh. I will not bow down and worship a book, bep, no way. The Bible may be God to you, but cannot be to me.

Look at the Holy Bible as the only true and accurate history of mankind, the universe, and ALMIGHTY GOD.

I'll not argue that, bep, but I can believe its spiritual truth without accepting its historical truth.

It is the non-fiction BEST SELLER of all time and always will be.

Next week Harry Potter is due to outsell it.

I do read the Bible as more than a text for college. The theological truths I was talking about inspire more of a religious feeling in me than anything else. Academically, we study it partly as a normal book, but by no means entirely.

Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore. All this ends tonight Grin

Emma

And God will say:
I never knew you!
Never.

Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2003, 11:18:22 PM »

"You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life."  

(John 5:39-40)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the