Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:42:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Day by Day
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 198 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Day by Day  (Read 273955 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2006, 11:24:44 AM »

Equip Yourself

Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. . so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground. . . (Eph.6:11-13).

These verses come from a wonderful passage that vividly conjures imaginations in our minds of Holy Armor and Righteous warfare. Anyone with an imaginative flare for the days of shields and swords might see themselves in fierce battles with demonic forces, seeking to save the lives of lost souls fallen prey to the wiles of Satan.
That might not be what you see, but you probably have some sort of strong mental image that is drawn as you read Paul's description of the figurative armor he encourages us to don.
Paul talks about a belt of truth, helmet of salvation, a shield of faith, a breastplate of righteousness and the sword of the Spirit (which is the Word of God), and feet fitted with readiness. Paul is trying to help us to understand how we need to be protected from the "fiery darts" of the enemy. But what about the enemy within? What about the enemy inside the armor?
The greatest enemy we shall know is a selfish heart. As we put ourselves before God we will find that, were we to have our armor on, it would be useless. Wrong attitudes will remove the edge from our swords, and complacent spirits will drop our shields of faith to our sides. Even if we don our armor daily through reading the Word and praying, if the armor is not in good repair or donned carelessly, we might as well be going without. Half hearted quiet times filtered through the distractions of the day are no match for the devil's attacks.
But let's not forget about our other armor. It is the armor of self-will. God cannot use a stubborn, selfish heart, but He will try to change the heart to make it usable. His Truth is a cutting knife. Hebrews 4:12 tells us that "the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword; piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
What happens when we resist the piercing Word? We begin to don a different armor, girded with the belt of ignorance and hidden behind the shield of self-confidence. We become numb to God's penetrating Word, and in turn, we develop an armor that defends us against Him.
It should be evident to us, then, that what is on the inside will oppose what is on the outside. If God is allowed to penetrate into all of your being, then you will have His strength in you to oppose the devils attacks. But if worldliness is allowed in, then it will be a shield against God, and you will become numb to God's influence. You must choose what or Who you will allow in, you cannot have it both ways. Jesus was very clear when He said, "No man can serve two masters" (Mt.6:24).

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2006, 11:25:14 AM »

Hold Still

The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away, blessed be the name of the Lord (Job 1:21).

Love found. Love lost. A goal reached. A broken dream. Both good and bad are in our lives. Each thing we experience helps to shape who we become. Each thing that happens to us should be looked upon as purposeful, allowed by the Sovereign Hand of God.
Our circumstances are not always pleasing, yet we can always take pleasure within them in knowing that God's perfect will is being accomplished. It's not easy, yet the benefits are tremendous.
With each and everything we face, God has a perfect purpose. To say otherwise would be to say that some of what shapes us is beyond His control. He sees in us the potential of who we can be. His will is to see that we meet that potential, and He will only allow us to experience those things that can be used in doing so.
Where we fail ourselves is when we guard ourselves against His work on us. Imagine a child who has a splinter in his finger, and has come to mom to get it removed. He wants the splinter out because it hurts, but he is afraid it will hurt to get it taken out. Every time mom gets the tweezers close to the splinter the boy winces and jerks back. This process winds up being dragged out several times longer than it would normally take.
As hard as it is, we must become totally vulnerable before God. We need to stop tensing up when He comes near. What He has to do may seem to hurt for a moment but the end result is much better that the present state. He loves us and will try to do whatever needs done with the least amount of pain possible.
Trying to help my daughter with a splinter, or the like, is quite a struggle. Yet, her best interest is what I have at heart. I have become quite frustrated trying to help her as she pulls back. And I often say to her something like, "Would you stop that, I am only trying to help you and you know I don't want to hurt you--Trust me." I can imagine God saying something like that to us: "Be still. . .Trust me."
If only we could let ourselves refuse our natural tendency to pull away, His work would go a lot more smoothly and be done a lot quicker.
Whether small or big, devastating or exuberant, we need to always keep in mind that God is at work in our lives through it all. As we allow ourselves to trust Him, we too will be able in all things to say, "Blessed be the name of the Lord."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2006, 07:51:35 PM »

Building Blocks

But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, "Why did you make me like this?" (Rom.9:20).

I use to love building models as a boy, or should I say, the idea of building them. I did not build many before I got discouraged with my results. I was go excited to see the finished product that I would never give the glue time to dry before moving on to the next step. As a result, the model would drop a piece or two from the bottom while I worked on the top, or visa-versa. Or perhaps I would be lucky enough to get it all together and painted, only to see wads of glue showing through the drips of model paint which had been put on thick rather than by using a few thin coats. It seems I was so interested in the results being what I had imagined, that I was not willing to allow the time and patience needed to get those results.
Each of us are in the process of becoming. It is a slow and often tedious process. It is also one that we continuously try to rush. If we have a habit to kick, we want to do it in a day. Or if we have a habit we think would be good to develop, we want it to be a habit after one time. Yet we know that is not realistic.
Our walk with God is much the same, and we often face discouragement when we don't see ourselves to be the types of Christians we think we should be "by now." This may lead us to push the results. To try to force a finished product without the essential ingredients--time and patience. We then become like the model car, boat or plane, so distorted from what should have been because the process was hurried.
Perhaps we are motivated by what we feel others think of us, or by what we think of ourselves, or perhaps even what we think God thinks of us. Nevertheless, what we have done to appear that we have it all together will not cover up the blemishes. Our impatience shows through, and everyone including ourselves will be able to notice that it is not real. It's just something done to make us think we are doing what we need to be as a Christian.
There is an end product God has in mind when He looks at us. And it may look nothing like what we think it should. It certainly looks nothing like anything we force ourselves to be. God's will for us is that we be where we are, and allow Him to take us where we are going. Paul said, "I have learned the secret of being content" (Phil.4:12).
We are to rest at ease in the process. Otherwise we become anxious, and in so doing, hurry the process. The Bible tells us we are to be anxious for nothing (Phil.4:6). This includes our Christian walk. It is to be shaped, not forced. It is a daily process, not a finished product. It is God's will for us that we be content with who we are today, and realize that God is making us for tomorrow.

Being convinced of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (Phil.1:6).

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2006, 02:09:39 PM »

Holding Hands

My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand (John 10:29).

The old song tells us, "I don't know about tomorrow, but I know who holds my hand." There are those times, however, when it would seem that we have forgotten that there is indeed someone who holds our hand. He has promised to be with us. He has been and will always remain to be faithful to His Word. And when He says "I will never leave you, nor forsake you," we can be certain that that is exactly what will be.
If you were to draw a picture of God's hand, what would it look like? I remember a picture that I had seen that depicts a girl swinging joyfully in a swing that is suspended by two ropes. The ends of the ropes are draped over the finger of the Hand of God, and held between His finger and His thumb. In that picture, we see the typical illustration of the Hand of God--it is very large and strong, and it is able to easily be the security and safety of one who trusts in Him. Isn't it amazing that even as so many of us would imagine God's Hand to be large, strong and secure, that we can so often become anxious as though our lives could slip through the fingers of His mighty Hand?
There are many surprises in this life--some good, and some not so good. But perhaps some of the most pleasant surprises are those that would seem as though they should not be surprising at all. For we are often pleasantly surprised when God comes to our aid in time of need, or speaks a gentle, healing word when we are in the midst of sorrow. And we behold His timing, His touch and His tenderness and stand in awe. As well we should, but why is it we seemed surprised? For God so loves us dearly, and what He does for us out of His extraordinary love is never surprising, but simply a natural part of who He is.
As you walk your personal road today, take thought of the strong and secure Hand that is holding on to your hand, and holding on to you. His grip is not as such that you will slip through His grasp. His faithfulness is not as such that He will not remain beside you every step of the way. And none of us walk our paths alone, for He will never leave us or forsake us. Anything we face will not take God by surprise, He already knows what tomorrow holds and has already prepared our way through the days to come.

The Mighty Hand of God,
is strong enough to hold,
the worries of our everyday,
the achings of our soul.
The Mighty Hand of God,
is skilled enough to shape,
our worries and our achings,
in to wondrous cause for praise.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2006, 07:53:57 PM »

In The Scheme of All Things

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you (Rom.12:3).

I heard an interesting joke once that went something like this: A brother in the Lord came enthusiastically approaching his pastor, bursting with some sort of exciting news. The pastor said, "Brother, you seem so excited today. What are you so excited about?" The brother said to him, "Pastor, I believe God has spoke to me, and He has told me that I am going to be an eye!" The pastor, knowing the brother fairly well replied, "Brother, I am really sorry but I don't think that God would call you to be an eye. You just don't seem like someone who God has equipped that way. To be totally honest with you, I think God is calling you to be a foot." "A foot!" the brother exclaimed, "why there's no way God would call me to be a foot. I am certain He wants me to be an eye." The pastor thought for a moment then thoughtfully replied, "Brother, I'll tell you what, let's spend some time in prayer together and see what God tells us." The two found a quiet place to pray, and spent a good deal of time praying and asking God for wisdom and direction. Finally they finished. The Pastor then turned to the brother and asked, "So, brother, what do you think God is saying to you now?" The brother maintained the excitement as before and said, "Oh, pastor, I believe very much that God is telling me that I am called to be an eye!" The pastor then replied, "Brother, God told me that He's going to let you be an eye. But the only thing you are ever going to see is the inside of a sock."

This is a rather amusing little story, and it is a great illustration (though exaggerated somewhat), of some of what might occur as we seek God's calling on our lives.
Most of us really want to know what special calling God has placed on us. We pray and seek and search to gain understanding as to what place God has perfectly made us to fit--our niche--if you will.
We as humans need to know that our lives have purpose, and we as Christians know that that purpose must be found in Christ. But let's face it, finding that purpose is no easy task. Too many things can distract us from where we should be for one reason or another. One thing is when we try to find our niche for life tomorrow, when God wants to reveal His purpose for us today. His will for our today may not be His will for our tomorrow. If He calls one of us to be a Preacher for our today, and a cab driver for our tomorrow, what is that to us? Our responsibility is to be within His will whatever that may be.
We discredit God and ourselves when we strive for a path other that the one He has chosen for us. We discredit ourselves by trying to force ourselves to do something we're just not cut out for. The end result is that we make ourselves miserable, trying to fit a mold of what we think we should be to be one thing, when we just need to be what God made us to be. We discredit God by not trusting that what He made us to be is what is best--for us and for the body of Christ. Our place of joy and contentment is only within God's divine purpose for each of us.
Remember that a body with 50,000 eyes can probably see just about everything that goes on around it. Yet, without the feet, the body cannot go to what it sees. And without the hands, the body cannot do anything that it sees needs done.

But how hath God set the members, everyone of them, in the body, as it hath pleased him (1 Cor.12:18).

Read 1 Cor. 12

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2006, 07:54:35 PM »

Spiritual Sight

For we walk by faith, not by sight (2 Cor. 5:7).

How many times have you heard someone say, "I just wish that God would send an angel," or "I wish God would tell me what to do so I can hear it." These wishes are generally joined with, "If only." As in, "If only He would. . .then I could." He might respond with, "I have shown you that you could, now if only you would."

The trouble that comes from this is that we are trying to force our spiritual nature to be guided by the physical. However, we must remember that we have been born again (Jn.3:3), and now must learn how to walk, hear and see all over. When we were born in the flesh, we had to learn how to see and understand what we were looking at with eyes of flesh. We had to learn how to hear and discern one sound from another. We had to learn how to crawl, walk and run.

Being  born again in the Spirit, we must realize that we cannot make our spiritual selves respond to our environment the way our physical selves do. If our spirits are to mature in the Lord, then our spiritual selves must take the appropriate steps to learn how to live in the spiritual realm. It is God's desire that we walk in the Spirit. "If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit" (Galatians 5:25).  God may accommodate us with an occasional audible word, or some sort of sign. Yet that is not generally how He works. After all, He is trying to help us to learn to walk in the Spirit. So why would He guide us entirely in the flesh. Sure, He uses things around us to help us see His direction for us. Yet we are not to become dependent on those things around us.

In our desires to know and follow God, we must be willing to let go of what our physical world would tell us, and learn to experience life in the spiritual. We must let go of the "if only's" and stop seeking an angel, or an audible word or sign. In so doing we can further surrender what we perceive with physical eyes, and learn to see through spiritual eyes--to see things more like God sees them.

A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign" (Mt. 16:4).

"[There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" (Rom.8:1).

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2006, 07:55:05 PM »

Stolen Joy

Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance (Psalms 42:5).

The best way to lose control of your life is to try to control it. Take those people for instance, who seem to have it all together. Their lives are often wound tightly around a schedule that permits little flexibility. Sure, everything seems to be in order. But let one of the balls they're juggling fall, and the rest are likely to follow.

It often takes so much of our concentration to keep our lives going.  This may not seem so bad at first, but, if you are like me, it is so easy to take on more than we should.  This often results in added stress, over-tiredness and unneeded worry.

It is often said that worry is sin, so as Christians we do not like to admit when we worry. We may instead call it "concern."  Is it a concern that seems to occupy most of my thinking? Is it concern when it is something I can't seem to get out of my head? Maybe it is something that makes it hard for me to concentrate on other things in my life, or maybe something that keeps me up at night.  Is that concern?  Call it what you want--worry, concern--it doesn't really matter. The fact is, the very things we seek to control soon find a way of controlling us.

Jesus said, "Take therefore no thought for tomorrow: for tomorrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof (Matthew 6:34). Christ knew how easily we can get caught up in the cares of this life. And He knew how easily the cares of this life could steal our joy, and how they could impact our Christian walk [. . .and the care of this age, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful (Mt.13:22)].

Galatians 5:22 tells us that one of the fruits of the Spirit is joy. Jesus' desire was that His joy might remain in us, and that our joy would be full (John 15:11). It is something that He intended us to know in this life, and it is something we can know--Real Joy! But that joy will not come as long as we harbor undue concern over things we have no control over--things that only God should be entrusted with.

Do you, as David, ever find yourself asking "Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me?" At the root of a downcast heart there is often a worry harbored. It is then we should tell our "soul" even as David did, "Hope thou in God."

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2006, 07:55:45 PM »

The Controlling Factor

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. . . (Gal.5:22-23).

A while back I was listening to a sermon of Chuck Swindol's in which I heard a very liberating remark. He was discussing personality and personality traits, and he said something to the effect that certain traits are a part of who we are, but we don't have to let those characteristics control us.

I tend to be somewhat melancholy and have my occasional mood swings which accompany such a temperament. God used Chuck's words to speak greatly to me. I realized that I did not have to try to change my temperament, but that I could learn how to control it.

It is kind of a funny thing when you gain a new understanding of yourself. Being able to say, "Yes, I am moody sometimes" and to be accepting of that; while at the same time saying, "But, I don't have to let my moods control me." This somehow gives us back the control we need over our own temperament. Because, when the mood begins to swing, I can recognize it and keep that in mind when all the depressing thoughts and pity trips try to take hold. I can then say to myself, "This is not really what I think, it is just how I feel today because of my mood." Being able to recognize that, now enables me to turn to God and say, "Lord, I am not in the best of moods today. Please help me to keep a level head and see things through your wisdom. Please strengthen me and take control of my day so it goes the way You want it to."

Since the day I realized I could be moody with out losing my cool, God has been there with me to help me see reality in the midst of my melancholy. He has softly encouraged me and graciously challenged my irrational thinking, telling me with love, "You know that's not how it is, the way you feel today is causing you to exaggerate things."

All of us have times when our emotions tend to get the best of us. We exaggerate someone's actions toward us or distort the severity of our circumstances. But God did not give His children up to be controlled by life, instead He has given strength through Himself for our life to be controlled.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2006, 07:56:28 PM »

Frantic Times

The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray (1 Peter 4:7).

Do frantic times call for more frantic measures? One would think so to objectively observe the world around us. Everyone seems to be running from one thing to the next, trying to find life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But happiness today seems greatly defined by immediate and temporary happen-stance, rather than by what is lasting.
Our culture seems to be in a frenzy, with little real direction. With everyone so self-absorbed, looking out for "number one" and "all they can get out of life, " there seems to be little exercise of any real self-control. Sex scandals rock the Whitehouse. Evangelists are caught lining their pockets with church funds. Community no longer means coming together as much as it means living in a neighborhood full of people hiding out behind locked doors and privacy fences, protecting (with lethal force at times) what's theirs materialistically. The "WELCOME" mat has been withdrawn, at least in spirit, if not literally.
Just about anyone you talk to will readily agree that our society is heading for a fall. We are plagued by a mentality that lives for today--ignoring the ramifications we will have to face tomorrow. The deficit climbs and we hold our collective breath as we watch the ups and downs of the stock market. For we know it is only a matter of time before the economy comes crashing in on itself.
Peter gives us some good advice as we approach "the end of all things." He tells us to "be clear minded and self-controlled" so that we can pray. It is imperative that we as Christians keep our heads in the days to come, so that we can be lifting a fallen people up to God. Otherwise, we will be facing the frantic times just as anyone who does not know God. We will be depending on ourselves, our own strength and our own abilities to get us through. And like the rest of the world, we will only be concerned for our own, rather than praying for all. And like the rest we will be shaken by the circumstances of our day.

Here's the exhortation, the strong encouragement for us all: We must prepare ourselves for what is to come. Again I repeat Peter's words, "be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray." We need to pull our attentions off of the "worries of this life" (Mt.13:23), and focus on God. He is the only Rock, and sure foundation. He is the only unchanging place where we will find true security. Many of us have placed our future security in money, retirement funds or social securities. Yet the economy of this country is fluctuating like the thoughts of it's people. And it will not last.
We must see that in these final days as the end approaches, that we must place our trust completely in God alone. We must realize that when the market crashes and money is scarce, their will be thousands of people who will take their own lives. Many of which will be church going Christians who were unfortunate enough to see no way to go on without a job or and income or their financial future.
There is a day coming that will shake the very foundations of our way of life. But there is a God who will not be moved. And if we are truly hanging on to Him, looking Him steadfastly in His eyes, while all else crumbles around us--we will not be moved either. But we will remain standing with the hope and assurance we have in Christ our Lord. And we will survive the crumbling world around us by knowing that God is with us--even if we have nothing else.

The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray (1 Peter 4:7).

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2006, 07:57:03 PM »

Weighing What's Important

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun (Eccl.2:11,NIV).

When all is said and done, what will we have to show for our lives? How much time do we spend on things that will only be a part of this life, and not on things that have eternal impact? We are all too often a busy and distracted people. We run from one thing to the next, but to what end? Jesus said, "For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his soul?" (Mt.16:26).
Solomon, in all his wisdom, chased after things of this life that were fading and, in the end, fruitless.  He lived the life of a king who did not deny himself any pleasure he desired.  He had it all, yet came up feeling as though he had nothing.
How many times have you worked so hard for something that once you attained it, you realized it wasn't all you thought it would be?  How much time did you spend in pursuit of it?
One of the hardest things to do at times has been to put aside whatever important task I had to complete so that I could give my attention to someone who needed to talk, or had a question, or just wanted to visit.  But I cannot remember one time where I did not feel extremely blessed by doing so.  It has always been worth it to put aside some thing for some one, and trust that God would give me the time I needed to get  all the little things done.
It is so easy to get wrapped up and focused on where we are headed that we forget about what we are leaving behind. When Jesus was asked what the greatest commandment was, He replied, love the Lord your God with all your heart, and love others as yourself.   The time and love invested in another person is something that carries eternal effects.
Perhaps you have heard someone say that when a person is on his deathbed, it is not his material possessions that he requests be brought to him.  Instead, it is that his family be gathered together.  So that in a his final moments, he can be looking into the eyes of what mattered most.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2006, 07:57:44 PM »

Even As You Have Done

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me (Mt.25:40).

One of the most stirring and convicting scriptures I have ever encountered is Matthew 25:40. Jesus' words, "as ye have done unto one of the least of these. . .ye have done unto me," to be honest, are quite haunting words. They are the words that it sometimes takes to shake me out of a numb complacency. They are the words it sometimes takes to remind me how important it is to Christ how we treat other people.
In Matthew 25:31-46, Jesus is speaking concerning the treatment of others and how we respond to their needs. It does not seem that He is speaking to us in regard only to the others in our lives that are close to us, or those with whom we associate. When He says "one of the least of these," it does not seem that He is limiting us to people we work with, go to church with or live next-door to. In fact, you might agree that Jesus' use of the words, "one of the least of these" does not exclude, but instead includes every person with whom we have any form of contact.
What does He say about the "least of these"? He tells us that as we have done to them we have done it to Jesus Himself. That's not the easiest thought to swallow. I guess that would mean that if I treat someone poorly, it is as if I am doing it to Christ. So every time I break a promise to someone, I am breaking a promise to Him. If I am grumpy, and snap at my family--I am snapping at Him. If I talk about someone behind his or her back, it is as though I am doing it to Him. If I pass a person by who is in need, it is as though I have chosen to pass Jesus by.
It's much easier to detach people from God so that I can easily excuse my behavior toward them. For if I can somehow rationalize, and make myself believe that another person deserved how I acted toward them, then I can rest a little easier. But let my every word and action toward another be as if toward Christ--somehow I quickly run out of reasons and discover that my behavior is just plain wrong. An example that comes to mind is how I can easily get agitated while driving. Just let someone cut me off or go to slow or some other horrible crime against me, and watch out. They won't hear me through my rolled up windows but chances are I'm giving them an ear full. That is a time that I know I need to hear those haunting words, "Inasmuch as ye have done unto the least of these. . ."
There is an upside however, that is that even as we do good to someone else, it is also unto Christ. Just as the thought of doing bad to Christ should motivate us away from doing bad to another; the thought of doing good to Christ should motivate us to do good to others. If we say we love Christ, then one of the best ways we can demonstrate that love for Him is by loving others.
If I saw Jesus talking with a group of people on the street, what would my first impulse be? Would I want to run to Him and be near Him? Would I be interested in hearing what He has to say? Would I want to spend time with Him? Many of us would answer yes to those questions. But put Jesus in someone else's body and what happens? How do we respond now? If we were to run to Jesus and not to the someone else, then perhaps we are more of a fan than a follower.
We run to Christ to find His love--we find His love to run to others.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2006, 07:59:39 PM »

Giving It Back

Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9:7).

There is a wonderful little story God once gave to me. I like to share it from time to time, hoping it will mean as much to others as it has to me. It goes something like this:
There was a man who had two young sons whom he loved very much. His sons loved him in return and were proud to have him as their father. One day the father brought home a large bag filled with construction paper, glue, markers and such. The boys watched with anticipation as their father emptied the contents of the bag onto the floor, and began to divide what he had into two equal piles. He then told the boys to take the things that he had given them. Each son gratefully took what was given him and went to his own place.
One son, looking at what he had and being moved by his father's loving gesture, took what he had and thoughtfully divided it into ten equal piles. He then took the first pile and went in to his father. "Daddy," he said, "thanks for what you gave me, I really like it." He continued, "Here." As he gave a portion back to his father, "this is for you," he said. His father was very pleased, and smiled warmly at his son. "I love you daddy," the boy said. "I love you too," his father replied. Then the boy went on his way to cut and paste and create something nice for himself out of the nine piles that remained.
The second son took what he had been given and began to cut and paste, draw and color to create his own little masterpiece. He worked long and hard and when he was finished, he took what he had made and went in to his father. "Daddy," the boy said, "this is for you." He then gave his father a big hug and told him that he loved him, and quickly darted back off to his room. The father smiled as he looked at his son, for He loved them both dearly.
When God gave me this story it had a message attached. Both sons pleased the father, but one did a more excellent thing. The first son saw what he had and returned a tenth of it to God, just as he had received it. Yet the second son took all his father had given, made something wonderful out of it and then gave it back to his father.
We are given a lot throughout our lives (which we can easily see when our eyes stop searching for what we still want). Jesus tells us, "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required (Lk.12:48).
I think it a noble thing that God's children dutifully give a tenth of their income to the church. I think it a sad thing when that is where our giving stops. But I think it is a more wonderful thing that a child of God would take what God gives, make something wonderful of it, and then give it all back to Him in sacrificial love, worship and praise. Just so I am not misunderstood--I do not refer to money alone. Money is not the sum total of who we are. We have much more God has given us, and much more to gain. God has given us a life that will have as many years on this earth as He allows. Our greatest love offering to Him would be to take that life, make something wonderful out of it (designed especially for Him), and give it back.

For all [they] did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, [even] all her living (Mark 12:44).

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2006, 08:00:13 PM »

Our Daily Manna

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it (Isaiah 55:11).

For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12).

The Word of God--it is our manna in the wilderness. It is our daily bread-the provision of God to meet our needs. And yet so often His Word sits on a shelf untouched. Perhaps we do not realize just how vital the Word of God is to our life. It is our life, but do we really believe that? Do we really understand just how important His Word is to us?
As a parent, I am like so many others who try to do my best to provide for my family. In truth, it is God who provides, I just try to take what He gives though my occupation and pass it along to them. When I think of my family's health, I know it is important that we have good food on the table and that growing kids get plenty of the right things to eat. With that, I would not think of ignoring their needs and letting them go hungry. But as important as their physical needs are, how do their spiritual needs compare? Do I give as much attention to ensuring they are getting plenty of spiritual food they need to grow in Christ?
As we eat food, it is not the process of eating that keeps us alive, but the unseen processes within us as the nutrients are broken down and distributed throughout the body. As we take in the spiritual food-the Word of God-it is the unseen processes that feed us, strengthen us, and transform us into the likeness of Jesus. But just like with physical food, we cannot grow and be healthy if we do not eat. We need God's manna.
When the Israelites were in the wilderness and ate the manna from heaven, they grew tired of it day after day. Perhaps they had already prepared it every way they could imagine-manna-k-bobs, manna potpie, manna flambé... And in time, they got fed up with manna. They grumbled and they groaned. But it was not their diets that needed changed, but their attitudes. God had provided what they needed and they turned their noses up in protest.
How ungrateful, right? And yet it begs the question: How often do we complain about what God provides? Do we sometimes need an attitude adjustment when we think that reading God's Word is too difficult or too dull? Or how often do we listen to a preacher and think somehow that it is his fault that we get nothing from a sermon, or that it put us to sleep, or is too dry, or…you get the picture.
God promises to provide, and He does. He provides through many ways but not all of them are going to look just like what we think they should. I guess it is all in how you look at things. Do we gratefully accept the provision of God's Word just as He gives it, and do we understand how important it is to our lives? Or do we live a life where we expect preachers to spoon-feed us, or God to make us happy and therewith forget our responsibility to gather the manna He has sent? We spend a significant amount of time each day preparing meals and feeding our physical bodies. Imagine how God could transform our lives if we gave that kind of time and attention to feeding from His Word every day. We would be amazed just how much of a difference it would make.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2006, 08:00:52 PM »

Quiet Time Killers

. . .let us throw off everything that hinders (Heb.12:1b).

There are a number of things that can quickly quench a quiet time: sin, self-centeredness and unresolved differences with another person, to name a few. And though these hindrances must be dealt with, they are far less subtle than what hinders us perhaps the most.
What calls us to be with the Lord daily? Is it our religious duty, our Christian obligation or responsibility? Is it because if we do not, we feel guilty or maybe that we just don't feel quite right throughout a day that we miss our morning Bible time? If it is any of these, we may quickly find that our time we have scheduled for God has become a dull, dry drudgery.
Many times throughout scripture, God calls His people to BE with Him. The whole purpose of Christ's coming was to provide a way for us to be "reconciled" to the Father. The context of scripture repeatedly uses language that conveys to us the message that God wants a relationship with each and everyone of us. So why do we persist to chain ourselves to ritual and religious acts.
Don't get me wrong, I by no means condone a lifestyle free of prayer and Bible study. And that is not God's will for us. But it is no more His will for us to pray and read, read and pray so that we can fulfill our Christian obligations. He wants us to experience Him through reading His word, and through communicating with Him in prayer.
So why then do we regulate the life out of the relationship? Let's face it--how many other relationships do we have where we get together with someone and say:

"OK, here's the plan: We will get together everyday at the same time for twenty to thirty minutes. It must be before everything else I have to do so that my priorities are right (no matter how awake I am). While were together, we will follow a set procedure that I think will be sufficient to cover all the business that needs attention. When I talk to you, I will use specific steps so that I don't forget something. We will need to meet in the same place everyday so it will become a habit, thereby making it easier as time goes by. . ."

How would you feel if you were the second party involved in this relationship? If I was having someone telling me about a schedule like this, I would probably be thinking, "Oh joy--I just can't wait to get started." I'm not trying to sound critical of the efforts so many of us make to have a meaningful quiet time. I'm sure God appreciates the effort. But can you imagine anticipating the time that you are going to be with someone you love, and then when you get together they already have your whole time together planned out--and that's the way they intend your time be together every time you are together. It seems to me that we try so hard to have time with God and to make it a habit, that we forget to show Him the consideration we would show anyone else by simply asking, "What would you like to do today?"
We need our time with God each day. But we must remember we are not sitting down "to do the bills," we are sitting down to be with a person. We are spending time building a relationship, not meeting righteous duty or religious obligation.

Now it came to pass, as they went, that he [Jesus] entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her (Luke 10:38-42).

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2006, 08:01:30 PM »

Follow Thou Me

Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following. . .Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what [shall] this man [do]? Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what [is that] to thee? follow thou me (Jn.21:20-22).

I have two children, and with them, the joys and headaches that are a very real part of parenthood. As I watch them, I am still amazed by their persistent worry over the concerns of the other. One of them seems to always be worried about what the other is doing, or saying, or getting that may in some way not be fair to his or her self. The concern is generally selfishly motivated and seldom bears two-way thinking. That is to say, they each concern themselves when the other is not doing what they have been told to do, yet they do not readily become concerned over their own wrong doing.
While that seems like something that we all are very aware of already, we (just as children) often still do not apply such ideas to ourselves. We sometimes observe the acts of others and quickly begin to question and criticize. This comes very natural to us. After all, we have been practicing such biased evaluations since we were tiny children.
What comes to mind here is probably summed up in the word, "judging." And though we know we are not to sit in critical judgment of others, and are not to stand around questioning, "what shall this man do?" this is not where our focus shall be at this time. For we are aware that we are to, "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment"  (John 7:24).  If each of us are honest with ourselves and were to request of God to, "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts" (Psalms 139:23), I believe we would be able to sense in our spirit whether our judgment is righteous, being for the sake of another; or whether it is a critical, self-motivated judgment.

Peter questioned what God would do with John. He may have been coveting what God would do with John, envious of what seemed to him a better "hand being dealt" to John. Or perhaps he felt that what God gave himself to do would be tedious and trying, somehow feeling unfairly treated compared to John. Maybe Peter was just curious. Nevertheless, Jesus' response was "If I will that he tarry till I come, what [is that] to thee? follow thou me."
Each of us have an individual relationship with Christ. Each relationship is developed within, and based upon, our uniqueness in Christ. To try to make your relationship with God be a mirror of someone else's relationship with God, is to try to force it into a mold it was not designed to fit. You can no more have that exact same relationship as you can actually be that other person. To try and do so is to kill some of the living characteristics that makes what you alone have with God unique.

The only way we can experience God's power, love and design for our lives is to follow the path He has given us uniquely. God doesn't want us to try to be spiritual giants, He just wants us to faithfully and fully follow him. What that means for me may appear very different than what it means for you, yet it means that all of us are to be obedient to God's personal, and unique call on our lives.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 198 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the