Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  Prayer Requests (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Feelin' Kinda Like Job
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feelin' Kinda Like Job  (Read 2826 times)
StillSmallVoice
« on: July 07, 2006, 06:54:56 PM »

That's a self-pitying subject header, I know.  Diagnosed with diabetes last October, and handling it well.  A battle with 7 kidney stones (7's not ALWAYS a perfect number!) this spring . . . defeated them (with lots of prayer from others).

Yesterday . . . a shingles diagnosis.  I'm only 47!  Cut me a break already!  And they're on my face yet!!

Okay, yelling fit's over.  The real reason for writing . . . to solicit your prayer support, of course.  Can you folks petition our Creator on my behalf?

Andrew
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 07:24:39 PM »

Yes Andrew I will be praying for you.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 07:41:27 PM »

Andrew yes, I will be praying for you.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 11:37:48 PM »

Brother Andrew, you have my sincerest prayers, shingles can be extremely painful, I had them a litlle less than a year ago. However I was told they usually appear around your wais and rib area, and that's where I had them. They hung around for a while too. I am praying for you.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
doc

Eternal Life begins at salvation - John 5:24

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 12:59:10 AM »

Brother Andrew,

Your experiences remind me of Paul's problems in 2 Corinthians 12:7-11.

"And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.  Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.  And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."    NKJV

The word for thorn has a surprise for us.  It was not a little thing Paul had to contend with as the Thayer definition states.

skolops

NT:4647 skolops, skolopos - a pointed piece of wood, a pale, a stake   (from Thayer's Greek Lexicon)

Another source calls it a "tent stake" - rather large when pitching tents in desert sands, don't you think?

Anyway, Paul prayed three times and got a message he didn't expect.  It was an effective message, but we don't know if the stake was withdrawn.  We also don't know how many times Paul prayed after he wrote this letter to Corinth !

Apparently God's Grace was sufficient for Paul, and it will be for you too - if you permit it.

Easy for us to say, naturally, but we all have had problems like yours from time to time.  One thing is true, however.  We were changed by these things and you will be too - for the better -  will be my prayer.   God has a plan (purpose)

Now apply Romans 8:28 and be at peace with God.

doc

Heed the words of Jesus:

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.  John 5:24  NKJV
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 09:06:26 AM »

Brother,
May you be blessed through your struggles.  I am glad to hear you are handling your diabetes well.  I have been a Type I diabetic for 23 years now and have other issues I'm facing in my life at this time.  I encourage you brother to continue to look to our Lord and to remember that these things we face on Earth will always, in the end, bring us closer with our Savior. I will be praying for you.  Please continue to post to let us know how you are doing.
Blessings!
-Am-

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 12:06:26 PM »

Amen Brother, and they are only temporary, God gives us the grace to endure all things.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
StillSmallVoice
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 03:33:44 PM »

Greetings, brothers and sisters, and thanks for the responses (especially the prayers).  The "thorn in the flesh" narrative was one of my late father's favorite passages, and he and I often discussed the "spike" deal.  Thanks for the reminder.

For me, it's always healthier to be honest.  I'm not mad at God. Nor am I even upset.  Not really.  Venting to friends is a useful release valve . . . perhaps not unlike Job's attempt to "vent" to Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar.

The shingles diagnosis, more than anything, makes me laugh.  Gimme a break! I holler, but with a rueful chuckle.  I shake my head, I cry a little, laugh some.  Look in the mirror and do it again.  But there's no lack of peace here, nor is there a feeling that physical afflictions will last forever.  I know they won't.

Just a simple prayer request is all, my friends.  I'd like to go across the finish line kickin' in 30 or 40 years, but if I have to go maimed, blinded, wearing Depends . . .  well, then that's what it will be.  Into the arms of the One who made me, and who'll restore me.

Your prayers are much appreciated.

With thanks,

Andrew
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 09:02:08 PM »

Amen Brother, and I am praying for you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 01:01:59 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

This is really a beautiful thread, and it has much to teach all of us. First, Brother Andrew, I will be praying for you. GOD loves to hear our prayers, and HE will do what pleases HIM in heaven and on earth. I will pray that GOD heals your body, but only if it's HIS Will.

The last sentence might seem strange to many, but all of our prayers should involve the Will of GOD for us in our lives. HE has already promised those who love HIM that everything will work out for good. Many Christians who have had serious illness will tell you that their illness drew them closer to JESUS and stronger in JESUS. This is a good thing that we should give thanks for. HIS WILL for us is always much better than what our will would have resulted in. GOD wants us to lean on HIM and yield to HIM when we don't have any problems or illness, but most of us are too stubborn to yield, pray, and do the things that we know are right until we've had BIG problems to deal with. I'm not talking about just some Christians, rather ALL of GOD'S children. How do we treat our Lord and Saviour when we don't have any problems? Do we pray, praise HIM, and give HIM the proper honor as LORD over our lives when everything is going great, or do we only depend on HIM when we need HIS help?

For me, I will quickly admit that I didn't give the LORD proper honor, worship, praise, thanks, and prayer when I was healthy and everything was going great. I think that most Christians reading this will admit the same thing if they only think for a few minutes. It's simply a fact that all Christians will eventually have health problems and other big problems to deal with in this short life. AND, we will all physically die one day unless JESUS comes to take us home at the end of this age of Grace. For me, I will simply say that my illness resulted in good for me, and I give thanks for the many blessings that GOD has given to me and my family. As usual and 100% correct, the Promises of GOD will always be kept perfectly. Everything will work our for our good if we love HIM.

Brother Andrew, many will pray for you. In the meantime:

KEEP LOOKING UP!!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Matthew 11:28-30 NASB  "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.  "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 05:30:36 PM »

Quote from: blackeyedpeas
I think that most Christians reading this will admit the same thing if they only think for a few minutes. It's simply a fact that all Christians will eventually have health problems and other big problems to deal with in this short life. AND, we will all physically die one day unless JESUS comes to take us home at the end of this age of Grace. For me, I will simply say that my illness resulted in good for me, and I give thanks for the many blessings that GOD has given to me and my family. As usual and 100% correct, the Promises of GOD will always be kept perfectly. Everything will work our for our good if we love HIM.
I guess I will be the first of many, to admit this is true. And I don't even have to think about this.  And yes Andrew, my illness, has closer to Jesus and stronger in Jesus.

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 08:49:32 AM »

This is one of my favorite quotes and happens to describe my life perfectly: "Eventually he saw he had been running to Christ, and flight from the past had been one of the means used by God to propel him forward."  It is so important for us to remember the will of our Lord, for He is perfect in all ways, even when we can't seem to understand his plan or the meaning has not been revealed to us.  I agree with all that has been said so far and have experienced such moments of coming closer with my Savior.  I am a good sleeper, but last night my heart was troubled.  I could not sleep.  Around 2 am I found myself in my living room with my bible open on my lap just talking it out with Christ.  I realized, in that moment, how wonderful it was to have such a friend to talk with and how that moment had brought me closer to Him.  It is a very wonderful thing my friends. 

KEEP LOOKING UP!!

Amen! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 08:52:12 AM by Amorus » Logged

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 09:45:31 AM »

Amen Amorus!

Brother, you describe one of the things that I love to do most: get quiet and alone with my Lord and Saviour. Just as we have fellowship with our other Brothers and Sisters in Christ, we should be having fellowship with our Lord and Saviour as often as we can. I'm convinced that many Christians don't know or understand how important it is to put GOD first. HE is alive, and because HE is alive, we are alive in HIM. HE wants to fellowship with us, and we should know that the quantity and quality of this fellowship is up to us. It's not a matter of HIM making time for us, but us making time for HIM. Shutting out the world and getting alone with our CREATOR is a wonderful time. HE wants to freely give us Spiritual riches that are beyond the imagination of man. In fact, we can only understand them with the help of the HOLY SPIRIT. Just thinking about HIM giving us an audience with HIM is reason for thanks.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Galatians 2:19-21 NASB  "For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God. "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. "I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."

Romans 4:20-21 NASB  yet, with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform.

Psalms 104:24 NASB  O LORD, how many are Your works! In wisdom You have made them all; The earth is full of Your possessions.

StillSmallVoice
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 12:36:45 PM »

I appreciate all of . . . this, my friends.

Perhaps the most challenging part of the shingles affliction is that I do public speaking every day.  My next scheduled event is tomorrow afternoon, with several more set for later in the week.  My face, frankly, is frightening and will be a topic for conversation.

However, I feel quite peaceful about it today.  You new friends, friends here in Columbus who know the situation, and my tiny sprinkling of family and all of your prayers are undoubtedly a huge part of the peace.

If you'll continue to pray for my healing, I'd appreciate it.  I live alone, so your companionship has become important in a short time.

Andrew
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 12:48:36 PM »

Amen to what BEP's and DW have said.

Brother AM, we have to keep fighting the good fight. I know that all I am going through and have gone thru has not only bought me closer to Jesus, but my husband as well.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the