Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:45:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bibles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bibles  (Read 11233 times)
richrkjr

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2006, 08:03:01 PM »

I need advice and suggestion on what is a good contemporary Bible. I dont want anything new age. I want a Bible that is as accurate as the KJV but in todays understanding. Something that doesnt take away from the dieity of our LORD Jesus Christ.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 08:17:42 PM »

I myself use the Amplified Bible.  Here is a sample of it below, and the KJV below that.

Genesis 1:1 (AMP) IN THE beginning God (prepared, formed, fashioned, and) created the heavens and the earth.

Genesis 1:1 (KJV) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 05:38:37 AM »

Hello Rich,

I did a lengthy study on this issue about a year ago. I spent a great deal of time and made many comparisons between various top-rated Bible translations.

First, I want to state clearly that I don't believe in Bible bashing. The only Bibles I would bash are those specifically distorted and designed for cults and/or groups who are more interested in being politically correct than having a good and accurate Bible.

That being said, I used several very large studies that used a large number of criteria to grade numerous translations of the Holy Bible. I also did my own study.

My conclusion was that the (NASB) New American Standard Bible is the best for me, and it consistently was ranked in the best category in all of the studies. This should NOT be confused with the (NAB) which is an unrelated version for Catholics.

Those that are rated best in most of the studies include:  NASB, ESV, NET, RV, ISV, NIV, and ASV. Many more manuscripts are available today than there were in the 1600s, and our tools to convert from the ancient languages are also much better. As a result, many of the errors made in the 1600s are now corrected, and many of the more modern versions are more literal and correct than the older versions. Being more literal and correct is what first drew me to taking a hard look at the NASB.

Please, I would again like to state that I hate Bible bashing. Some people have created a lot of divisions, hate, and doubt by making FALSE claims about a particular version and trying to condemn all others. This is not constructive for the BODY OF CHRIST, and it creates nothing but hate and division between Brothers and Sisters in Christ. I like to use several translations of the Holy Bible when I study. The Amplified Bible is one of the translations that I use when I utilize "4 translations in parallel" on one page for comparisons. The other three that I use in parallel are the NASB, ASV, and the KJV. I also go back to the ancient languages for very difficult portions of Scripture.

This thread is NOT an invitation for anyone to attempt to start another war over Bible translations. This is also not an invitation for any kind of "ONLYIST" to jump in and start bashing various translations of the Holy Bible. Posts like that will simply be deleted and the user will be warned.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Psalms 31:3 NASB  For You are my rock and my fortress; For Your name's sake You will lead me and guide me.

Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 11:44:28 AM »

I like the NIV study bible. Gives lots of notes for morons like me that don't get it Grin

Lots of good stuff in the notes that help with understanding.

ANY bible that you can read easily and understand is a good one.

Didn't Billy Gram say when asked which bible is best "whichever you will read" Wink

Gary

just doing my best to follow..........
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 12:25:20 PM »

I like the NIV study bible. Gives lots of notes for morons like me that don't get it Grin

Didn't Billy Gram say when asked which bible is best "whichever you will read" Wink

Amen Gary,
I once read somewhere, "If your Bible is falling apart, chances are your life isn't"    Wink Wink

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 04:36:32 PM »

Hello Rookieupgrade1,

There really is a big selection of excellent Bibles with reference materials to choose from, both in book form and for the computer. I've been spoiled by the computer, fonts as large as I want them, and all of my reference material one click away. I think it's smart to use the reference materials, and I especially enjoy using the links to contrasts and comparisons. It also spoiled me pretty quickly to hover the mouse over a word or click a word and have immediate access to all kinds of language helps.

By the way, my pastor uses an NIV Study Bible, and he really enjoys it.

If I went back to book form, it would definitely have to be large type, and it would probably be pretty thick with everything I would want with it.   Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

Philippians 3:14 NASB  I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 04:48:25 PM »

If I went back to book form, it would definitely have to be large type, and it would probably be pretty thick with everything I would want with it.   Cheesy

AMEN Brother Tom, in fact if I was to use just one Bible I would need a hand truck to move it prom place to place.  Cheesy Cheesy

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 04:52:44 PM »

Hello Rookieupgrade1,

There really is a big selection of excellent Bibles with reference materials to choose from, both in book form and for the computer. I've been spoiled by the computer, fonts as large as I want them, and all of my reference material one click away. I think it's smart to use the reference materials, and I especially enjoy using the links to contrasts and comparisons. It also spoiled me pretty quickly to hover the mouse over a word or click a word and have immediate access to all kinds of language helps.

By the way, my pastor uses an NIV Study Bible, and he really enjoys it.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Philippians 3:14 NASB  I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Hi again, Ive been away for a bit haven't I?

Been reading a good book Wink

Gary

just doing my best to follow..........
Skipdawg

God is faithful

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 10:35:21 PM »

You may want to check out the The 21st Century King James Version of the Holy Bible
http://www.kj21.com

I just got one last year and have gotten through most of the old testament now and think they did a very good job with it.  Wink

Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei  (The heavens declare the glory of God)
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 06:45:22 AM »

I like to alternate between the NASB and the NIV.  Sometimes I can get a better understanding of scripture that way.  I also like the Amplified Bible for deeper study.  I'm sure you will find one to meet your needs. Wink

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 09:38:56 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I was reflecting on this thread and had to stop and give thanks for the huge assortment of Godly materials we have in this part of the world and the freedom we have to worship.

I like to read Voice of the Martyrs every month to keep it in my mind that Christians in other portions of the world can and are being killed for having scraps of a Holy Bible or a Christian Tract. Just the appearance of Christian conduct can result in beatings, being thrown in prison, or killed.

Here, we talk about various translations of the Holy Bible and study material that would take several lifetimes to enjoy. We are rich and spoiled rotten with the blessings of Almighty God.

I really don't know what users call themselves here in terms of class (i.e. middle-income, etc.). I would have considered myself to be lower middle-income before I retired. If we thought that we were poor as Job's turkey, we would still be RICH in comparison to many Christians around the world. I'm talking about rich in both comparisons: 1) food, clothing, shelter; 2) money or means to obtain and study Godly materials. We have many reasons to thank and praise GOD many times each day. Most of us individually have enough Bible materials to supply a village in many parts of the world. I only have one question left, and it's for me: do I ever take for granted the blessings GOD has given my family and myself? YES!, and I'm ashamed of myself. I must pray for forgiveness and ALWAYS remember that every good thing comes from GOD. Why should GOD keep pouring out HIS blessings on someone who doesn't show the proper appreciation and thanks? I DON'T KNOW...

Love in Christ,
Tom

1 John 1:3 NASB  what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 02:01:09 PM »

Brother Tom,

I am of the poor class, as I only get 691.00 dollars a month. By the way, I feel blessed by Christ, by his many blessings he has given me. I praise God everyday, for the blessings he has given me. AMEN

Although I do get payed (100.00 a week) as Pastor, all my pay goes back into my Church.  I feel God can use the money better then I can.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 04:28:44 PM »

Brother Bob,  I thank God that everything that we have is His to begin with and that we  have all of our needs met. Some of us may have less than others materially, but praise God we are richly blessed by God spiritually.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 06:02:52 PM »

AMEN sister Maria  Cheesy

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 06:44:02 PM »

Hi again, Ive been away for a bit haven't I?

Been reading a good book Wink

A good book, I only know one good Book it's an all time bestseller, has been translated into almost every language of the world, it has survived all kinds of persecutions, and it's alive.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

God's Word the Holy Bible

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the