Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:01:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Letter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Letter  (Read 986 times)
Wayfarer

Daughter of Christ, Sister of All, Mother of Many

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2006, 11:25:35 PM »

I sat down at my desk, pen in my hand, thinking to write you a letter. My heartbeat quickened as I thought of all the words that would flow from me like a fountain. I was proud of my wordsmithing abilities, proud that I could take a language so simple as English and turn it into a veritable work of art. Any subject, anywhere, anytime, I could write without even trying. So today, I sat down to write to you.

From my drawer I took the tablet of paper that I saved for special occasions such as this. It was baby blue with a lilac border on the left side. Psalm 18:2 was watermarked across the bottom right and a white and pink rose watermarked the center. It had been a gift for my last birthday, from my sister. I love it so, and I wrote letters to her on it every three weeks. It was a large tablet, around 200 pages, with matching envelopes and special address labels to go with it. Not a page was wrinkled when I sat down to write to you.

Outside my window the sun was shining. I could hear the birds singing in the magnolia tree in the front yard. One was a mockingbird. The other, I think, might have been a wren. Faintly, I heard the sound of the ice cream truck tinkling its way through the neighborhood. Such memories of that time, of childhood when I didn't carry so much on my heart.

The house was quiet, the kids hadn't come in from school yet. But that was all right. I liked the time just after all the work of the day was done and before the kids came bursting through the front door, assaulting me with math questions and history trivia. This had been my time, my special time to reflect on my life, and what I had thought to do with it.

I looked back down at my stationary, smiling a little. My heartbeat had slowed by then, but it still fluttered within my chest. So many words that I had wanted to say. So many questions I had wanted to ask. I lowered my pen to the paper and wrote...

"Dear God,"

I stopped. Something amazing had happened. My words. My words had fled me. All of the carefully chosen phrases, all of the carefully structured sentences... gone. I couldn't find them. It occured to me then that maybe, just maybe, I hadn't had them to begin with. That maybe I hadn't really known what to say. Because, how do you say all the things that really need to be said?

How do you tell Him that you love Him? How do you ask why He gave His Son, Jesus Christ, to this cold, cruel world to die for sins that were never His? How do you tell Him that you wished that He had never suffered the loss of a child? How do you put into words all of the emotions that you feel when you read the Bible, or sing a song in His name, or sit in Church and hear His word spoken to you, or when you pray to Him? How do you ask Him for forgiveness when you feel that all you've done has been wrong? How do you say and do so many things?

I felt the tears rolling down my cheeks, watched them tumble through the air and land with soft "splats" on my paper. The light blue turned dark, the pink in the rose turned red. I read the words at the bottom of the page. "The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Those words spoke to me then, telling me exactly what I needed to say.

I wiped my eyes, blew my nose, cleared my thoughts, and lowered the pen again.

"Dear God,

Thank you.

Love,

Your daughter."

"She dreams she's dancing, around and around without any cares..."

"Here I am, ready to give up my life for the one. Here I am, ready to pour out my heart for the Son. Here I am."

Psalm 18:2 - My Life Verse.
John 13:34 - Words to Live By

JPR & RLS (c) August 1, 2006
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 11:41:07 PM »

Amen Sister Wayfarer!

That was beautiful and gave me a blessing. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Matthew 22:36-40 NASB  "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' "This is the great and foremost commandment. "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 11:50:43 PM »

Amen sister
I felt the tears rolling down my cheeks
that says more than any words ever can.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the