Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  Questions, help, suggestions, and bug reports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Hobbies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hobbies  (Read 5794 times)
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 10:41:04 AM »

Brother Kevin, I didn't know you are an artist. I don't consider myself to be an artist, but I do paintings in oil, pastel, charcoal, pencil, ink and watercolor.
I enjoy painitng and drawing so much that I am always drawing on every little scrap of paper that happens to be nearby when I am on the phone or just need to relax a few minutes. Beleive it or not I don't have one single piece of art that I have painted. My family has all my drawings and paintings, they keep telling me why don't I sell them, (how can I if the keep taking them ?  Huh  Roll Eyes  )   Cheesy

I paint and draw for my own satisfaction and my own pleasure, I have never thought of selling any of them. When I was in High School, we had a talent show for the whole county. My project was a very difficult one, but it was one I chose to do and enjoyed it very much, I chose to make a tapestry of The Sleeping Gypsy by Henri Rousseau.

I had a very small picture about 2" by 4" which I mathematically enlarged and drew onto a piece of burlap 2' by 3' and used yarn to weave the painting onto this burlap. I also had to make a wooden frame for the burlap before weaving, the whole project took me about 2 months. It won first placce at the talent contest, I was offered up to $250.00 for this tapestry, but my mom had already asked me for it and I turned down many offers for it so I could give it to my mom. It hung in her living room for 38 years. When my mom went home to be with the Lord, my brother claimed it. It is still hanging on the wall in my brother's house now; along with a bunch of my other work. I get a real sense of satisfaction just knowing that my work is appreciated by my family.  Cheesy  And knowing that God has given me this wonderful talent is a joy to me, my talent has also been passed on to my grandchildren of my 14 grandchildren I have 5 that paint, and draw very well, may I also add that neither I nor any of my grandchildren have had any formal training in art. The only training I ever got in art was at school, my art instructor saw the potential in my work and I was placed in an advanced art class, but I was never tempted to go to school or get any further training for it. I just love doing it as a hobby.

Sweet!  You ought to try and sell some of your work.  As for me, I was speaking along the lines of drinking coffee... Cheesy Wink  I wouldn't brag like that and say I'm quite the real artist.  But when it comes to drinkin' coffee?  I'll brag!   Grin

Seriously though, I've been drawing since before I knew what a pencil was.  I've done a few family portraits and a couple of plaques for my father.  For the most part, I've done the cartoonist gig.  I've yet to see it pay off...but I'm trying to work the system (when time permits).  Who knows?  Maybe y'all will be able to say "I knew him when..." someday!

Keep up the good work!  Maybe you could post pics of your work in a new thread? *Hint, hint.  Nudge, nudge*

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 11:05:33 AM »

Brother, I don't consider myself an artist either, I just do it for my enjoyment, my brothers and sister are always telling me that I am letting a good talent go to waste.

I look at it this way, I get a great pleasure from drawing, and my family enjoys my work, I never even thought about selling any of my work I just plain ole like to draw and paint. I do have all the supplies I need for my art, but a lot of them are in storage right now as I moved into a smaller place and really had no place where I can set up all my art stuff. I'll see what I can do about posting something but it will more than likely be either pen or pencil since everything else is in storage, except for some color pencils and markers.

I do have another hobby, which I am going to use as a way of earning a little extra money, I make jewelry. Earing, necklaces, bracelets. And I decorate t-shirts, purses and other items of clothing.  Cheesy Cheesy

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 09:32:46 PM »

Hobbies?!  OH YEAH!!! I love games.  Did I mention I like to play Axis and Allies?  Great game.  I oughta tell y'all about it sometime.   Grin
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 07:13:10 PM »

My family has all my drawings and paintings, they keep telling me why don't I sell them, (how can I if they keep taking them ?  Huh  Roll Eyes  )   Cheesy

LOL!

I would love to see a picture of that burlap tapestry! You probably don't have one!

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 11:48:20 AM »

Hobbies?!  OH YEAH!!! I love games.  Did I mention I like to play Axis and Allies?  Great game.  I oughta tell y'all about it sometime.   Grin
DW,
I spent many college evenings (when I should have been studying) in what we called "the war room" playing Axis and Allies with some of my college buddies.  The games were long, very intense, and often unpredictable.  A great strategic game for the WWII enthusiast!  Wink

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 11:20:08 AM »

DW,
I spent many college evenings (when I should have been studying) in what we called "the war room" playing Axis and Allies with some of my college buddies.  The games were long, very intense, and often unpredictable.  A great strategic game for the WWII enthusiast!  Wink

Have you played the latest version?

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Rev. Belch

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2006, 04:45:18 PM »

I love to crochet and make lapghans for the elderly and others they are only 30in x 30in so that they cover the lap and legs. If they use a wheel chair they won't get stuck in the wheels. You can use scrap yarn for this or you can buy pretty colored yarn. Either way the little afghans are well loved and appreciated. I always pray over them as I make them. It's an awesome hobby that helps others.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the