Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:02:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Books (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Harry Potter - satanic or superb?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harry Potter - satanic or superb?  (Read 15373 times)
peachykeen

No, I really AM a llama

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2003, 04:58:25 PM »

Absolutely superb!!!  I am an AVID reader, and trust me, I've read some DARK books, and Harry Potter is DEFINATLY not one of them.  In our world, we are aloud to dream.  There is fantasy, and without it, we are colorless, dreamless, boring!!!  Harry Potter is a great way to escape the real life horrors (war, violence, dirty bombs, etc.).
     And for the anti-Harry fanatics, look at it this way:  Many people who had never SEEN Jesus thought that his miracles were evil and devil-worshiping.  Jesus instead went to the people who doubted him and showed him that he truly was a son of God.  So many people act the same way with Harry Potter.  If you think its the devil, go see it yourself!  I in fact find LOTS of Christian metaphors in the book, just like Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia.  If you're going to hate, at least find out what your hating first.  
Thats all for me!

Do not be decieved,Wormwood.Our cause is never more in danger than when a human,no longer desiring,but still intending to do God's will,looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished,and asks why he has been forsaken,and still obeys.-CS Lewis,Screwtape
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2003, 08:57:47 PM »

They never reply to you when you ask about Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia. And they are more gaphic and blood then HP

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2003, 05:39:55 AM »

OH NO, does that mean Breakfast and Tiffany's is... Satanic?  

See? That's what I was wondering.... Lips Sealed

And let's not forget that for the little boys we have the character played by George Peppard who also smokes and drinks and is 'kept' by a married woman.  Wink

And Buddy Ebsen's character who married Holly when she was 14 and then got dumped by her 'cause she moved on!

Harry Potter = satanic

Not Laughing  Cry

I agree  with A4C

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2003, 05:00:38 PM »

One of the most annoying things in the world of message boards is when someone offers their opinion, but doesn't back it up or even explain it in the same post. It's like they need time to think of a viable excuse, when it would have been much more practical if they had just waited until they had thought of one before they posted anything at all.

It's these little things...
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2003, 01:39:47 PM »

They never reply to you when you ask about Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia. And they are more gaphic and blood then HP
Yeah, all those swords and beasts and witches.  Grin

I don't think that most of the upset in Christian communities has to do with any violence factors in HP, although for some people it might. I think its the general spirit of the books, rather. Both LOTR and Narnia are 'elaborate parables' used to relay what's going on in Scriptures, i.e., Christ's sacrificial death, His second coming, and so forth.

And besides, who doesn't like to read about talking beavers?  Grin

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2003, 04:29:39 PM »

lol, now there is a double  standard! “Oh yeah, go a head, kill all the people ya want! Start a war! Yeah, there we go, Lets finish off a whole race! As long as they don’t use magic to do it, it is Godly.” But wait, they DID use magic, didn’t they?

Besides, LOTR is on a high reading level. And CON is has an acid-trip-cream-song-yellow-submarine- feel to it. Harry Potter is easier for kids to read. Look at how it has gotten kids off the computers and such to read!

Elaborate parables? what? Is that the reasoning behind boycotting the Potter? Because he doesn't have some deep underlying Christians meaning that 90% of the people who read it are not going to get? About half of Christians, and every non-Christian who has read CON or LOTR missed the deeper Christian Allegory aspect of it. It did nothing to save anyone. They are just entertainment written by Christians. If you aren’t a Christian, and you don’t know our “secret code” for everything, you are not going to see these books as anything more then entertainment! Sounds to me like, the only reason, the REAL reason, Christians don’t support Harry Potter is because the author isn’t a member of our little club. Ah, the Harry Potter boycott, Christians elitism at its finest.

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2003, 03:41:47 PM »

Yo, man, did I say something against Mr. Potter?

Where did our "little club" begin? I read Peter Beagle's "Last Unicorn", and he ain't no member of the "little club". (That was a cool book, by the way. Comments, anyone?)

And did I say they didn't use magic in Narnia or middle-earth? I've read 'em all, y'know! They're fantasy books. They're supposed to have magic. They wouldn't be any fun without magic.

P.S. What whole races are they finishing off?  Huh The only ones I can think of at the moment are 'orcs', and do you really want an infestation of those in your city? They're worse than Ninevites!! Trust me!

And hey, if someone wants to see CON or LOTR as entertainment, that's fine with me! If they want to see a Christian message in them, that's fine with me too! If they want to abolish Talking Beavers...welllllll, I might get a little peeved.  Grin

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2003, 04:56:12 PM »

I'm reading The Order of the Phoenix, and wow. Never read a better book in my life.

Sorry, did I break up the conversation here?
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2003, 05:27:08 PM »

Oh, no, no, no, I wasn’t attacking you. You where telling is what people say, and I way replying to that, not to you. I was just taking the time to make a few points your post allowed me to draw up. Wink

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2003, 06:35:29 PM »

It's these little things...

ROFL!

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2003, 01:43:49 PM »

Oh, no, no, no, I wasn’t attacking you. You where telling is what people say, and I way replying to that, not to you. I was just taking the time to make a few points your post allowed me to draw up. Wink
*Whew*
Once again, Willowbirch has escaped the manic-fishslapper...

kestrel

Remember them that are in bonds... Heb. 13:3

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2003, 01:55:29 PM »

... I read Peter Beagle's "Last Unicorn... (That was a cool book, by the way. Comments, anyone?)
Well, I haven't actually read it, but I have it on tape, with Peter Beagle actually reading it, I think. I love it! Very cool.

I'm reading The Order of the Phoenix, and wow. Never read a better book in my life.
I already read it, and I loved it! I'd like to read it again, but I don't own it yet... Cry
*sniffle*

But the library does! Grin

God bless,
nX
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 02:00:41 PM by nX » Logged

Return to the LORD your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love.

~Joel 2:13 NIV
Malificent

Trying to understand...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2003, 09:59:38 PM »

LOL-- Sapphire you are my hero....

Smiley

They're great FANTASY books guys. Calm down now...

em

...oO0Oo...MaLiFiCeNt...oO0Oo...
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2003, 03:22:17 PM »

REPEAT:

Harry Potter and his "magick" is just the thing that millions of spiritually bankrupt people are looking for. It is also exactly what Satan has so neatly constructed to deceive, trap and detour those millions into his awaiting Hell.

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2003, 03:24:11 PM »

REPEAT:

Eric Barger's Three Arguments
Against Harry Potter

1) Overt Occult Endorsement or "Harmless" Fantasy?

There is great controversy concerning the magic and occult trappings used in the Potter series. Defenders say "its just fantasy" while savvy observers maintain that the positive promotion of witchcraft and sorcery in today's TV, cartoons, motion pictures, books, music and the like represent occult practices as an acceptable lifestyle to many.

Eric Barger believes that through the often subtle and occasionally overt occult practices carried out by characters in J.K. Rowling's series, there is a general dulling of the conscience concerning the occult. Through exposure and acceptance, readers slowly begin to view the occult in a favorable light, abandoning any thought about the very real and present danger that interaction with the occult realm can and does bring.

FANTASY?

Though we are told repeatedly that Potter represents only "fantasy", shouldn't concerned parents question just what kind of fantasy we want entering our children's minds?

USA Today said the Potter story line included; "...a disembodied voice repeatedly hissing ‘kill’; monstrous, flesh-eating spiders; children being attacked and paralyzed; and an apparently dead cat hung upside down by its tail." (USA Today, June 15, 2000)

WITCHES LOVE HARRY!

Practicing witches view the Potter books as their ticket to acceptability and respectability.

"For once, the witches aren’t ugly old hags," said Michael Darnell, 39, a computer programmer from Winnipeg, Canada, who has been a practicing witch for over twenty-five years. "For once they’re the protagonists rather than the villains." (USA Today, May 30, 2000)

abcNEWS.com interview, practicing Wiccan (witch) Phyllis Curott who says:

"Sure, you are seeing witches in Harry Potter do things they don’t do in real life. But it is positive. They are friendly. They are good. The book might change the way people feel about us."

But Barger contends that the Potter characters actually do emulate witchcraft in real life. Barger states, "The fact that witches can't always connect when casting a spell isn't a problem for J.K. Rowling. She endorses any and every occult practice from the underworld to envelop her story line. The Potter series is a complete candy store selling occultism to our kids as an acceptable lifestyle and means of living."

SO, IS THE MAGIC REAL?

But is the magic real? Warner Brothers, who has bet the bank on the Potter films, says yes!

"Warner Bros claims the film is an accurate portrayal of things that happen in witchcraft…"

We presume they have inadvertently let the real cat out of the bag with this assertion.

2) Endorsement of Moral Relativism

Harry Potter is the poster child for relative ethics and morals. That is the "good" characters employ the same principles, standards and techniques as the "evil" characters including:

Virtually every conceivable Occult teaching and practice
Drunkenness
Cursing
Lying/Dishonesty/Revenge
Relative standards for Ethics, Morals and Integrity
Remember, we are referring to the good characters.

Forget the occultism for a moment! Isn't a hero like Harry Potter lying to get his way and his cohorts being drunk enough to nix him from any list of possible role models for our youth? That's what readers get as the Potter story progresses from book to book.

And true to what she has said, Rowling has made the story progressively darker during the first four books. She states that she will continue to do so through the seventh book as well.

3) The Separation of Church and State

What in the world is going on here? The A.C.L.U. has called the phrase "God Bless America" a "hurtful divisive message" and has called for school districts nationwide to cease displaying it on public property! Halloween, witchcraft's number one holiday (the fall solstice), is heralded without question in classrooms far and wide. No thought is ever given as to the actual basis for all the trappings of this occult holiday. And concerning Harry Potter, children in many grade levels across our country are being ostracized, ridiculed and even suspended from school if they dare refuse to read the Potter books which are often given as mandatory assignments!

Has anyone noticed the Bible being used in mandatory public classroom settings recently? If not, how can Potter books - which endorse the bonafide religion of witchcraft and that make a mockery of anyone daring question witchcraft's viability as a lifestyle - be doled out in our public schools? Again, we ask - WHAT IS WRONG HERE?

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the