Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:41:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Music (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Beyond the sunset
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beyond the sunset  (Read 3098 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2006, 05:40:27 PM »

Beyond the sunset

"I've got a home in Glory Land that outshines the sun".

We used to sing this chorus at youth fellowship too many years ago. In those days, most choruses were sung with a "Country and Western" beat. We must have thought we were all little cowboys or something. Still, in the 50's and 60's the American West was holy ground. At any rate, we sang of a home "beyond the blue horizon."

My most treasured 78 record is a spiritual called "Beyond the sunset." It speaks of a "glad reunion, with our dear loved ones who've gone before. In that fair home-land we'll know no parting, Beyond the sunset forever more." A heavenly home, a special place to make our home.

A sense of "place" is a very strong human emotion. We all know what it's like to sell a family home. It's a gut-wrenching experience which only serves to remind us of the power of place. It's a loss of "here I am" and is by no means easy to deal with. All of us reinforce our identity in the things we own. We use possessions to proclaim ourselves to others, and probably even to ourselves. Material possessions establish identity and even serve to promote self-image. Our home does this more than anything else.

Yet, there is more to a home than just peacock feathers, more than just display. There is the power of place. There is a sense where we root our being in the building and the earth. It is our nest and territory. It becomes part of us while becoming an expression of us. To see it destroyed is to see part of ourselves die. To leave it, is to abandon part of self. This is particularly so if we have raised children in it. So, a house is never quite an inanimate object. It is a home, our place.

The one thing we do know of our earthly home is that it is not permanent. We cling to our place even when it starts falling down around us. Yet, this earthly home we must one day leave.

Thank God there is a home that is being made reasy for us that will not crumble, fail or be sold out from under us. It is a permanent home with all the love and security that one can ask for.

"Beyond the sunset a hand will guide me

To God the Father, whom I adore;

His glorious presence, his word of welcome,

Will be my portion on that fair shore."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the