Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:32:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Joel Osteen and the Prosperity Gospel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joel Osteen and the Prosperity Gospel  (Read 21318 times)
Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2007, 02:38:05 PM »

Sister sjoara, I have to second that.  I have watched him on TV a few times, and have yet to hear him preach salvation or read Bible scripture.  In all fairness, I have only seen him a few times, so it is very possible I missed those sermons.

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2007, 08:39:16 PM »

I am not trying to judge Joel Osteen in any way, but from what I have seen and heard of him, its my opinion, he's a good motivational speaker. Thats about it.

I agree....we must love our brothers and sisters in Christ....but I think it's important for a pastor to give more balanced sermons.

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2007, 08:59:31 PM »

I agree that sermons should be balanced between milk and meat. I also believe that it is important to give the Gospel and opportunity to accept Christ at all times, this is our primary goal ... to preach the Gospel to every creature. We can never have enough of the Gospel.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2007, 06:07:34 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I just want to make one very general statement involving disappointment. These days, it appears that big money, huge audiences, and big opportunities are not known for preaching the GOOD NEWS and strengthening those who are already in Christ. It appears to be more of a social gospel with a little "g" and teaching people how to be happy with the things of this world. The things of this world are popular and draw big crowds.

Many opposites appear to apply to those who are really trying to concentrate on the lost and build strong Christians . These ministries aren't known for big audiences, big money, or big anything, but I firmly believe they are doing the work that GOD really wants done from the pulpit. They probably have to pray about how to pay all of the bills and go without many of the things that they want or need. I realize this is very general, but I really think it's the truth in most cases. What is the REAL priority - GOD or the things of this world?

Love In Christ,
Tom

John 1:10-13 NASB  He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2007, 12:19:21 PM »

Amen Brother Tom.

I believe that God wants us to prosper even as our soul prospers. Think for a moment how can Christians reach the world if we were always broke. We have to send missioners to countries where they don't get paid for their services, they only way they can get paid is through the help of other Christians, just as Paul was helped by the church in Philippi.

We have to give with a cheerful heart, and before we can do that we have to pray sometimes God wants us to support one ministry sometimes He wants us to support another, and sometimes He wants us to support several ministries. God will provide for us to be able to help whatever ministry He puts in our heart.

We can not dig a hole in the ground and not plant a seed but still sit there and expect something to grow. We have to plant a seed somewhere. If we are not able to go to places where missionaries go we can help them get there, by supporting them that would be as if we ourselves went.

When God delivered Israel out of Egypt, Israel was not broke, they left with gold and silver, and cattle and other herds. They left with fine linens and with tools.
They had been in slavery for 400 years, where did they get all these riches? They got them from the Egyptians. God owns all the cattle on a thousand hills, we are His heirs, shouldn't we be able to gain riches?

It is not up to us to judge anyone, but instead to pray for them. That is what we should be doing. If God blessed me and made me a multi-millionaire I would definitely support some ministries, regardless of whether I thought they deserve it of not if God put it in my heart to do it than I would be obligated to do it.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2007, 08:07:55 PM »

Amen Brother Tom.

I believe that God wants us to prosper even as our soul prospers. Think for a moment how can Christians reach the world if we were always broke. We have to send missioners to countries where they don't get paid for their services, they only way they can get paid is through the help of other Christians, just as Paul was helped by the church in Philippi.

We have to give with a cheerful heart, and before we can do that we have to pray sometimes God wants us to support one ministry sometimes He wants us to support another, and sometimes He wants us to support several ministries. God will provide for us to be able to help whatever ministry He puts in our heart.

We can not dig a hole in the ground and not plant a seed but still sit there and expect something to grow. We have to plant a seed somewhere. If we are not able to go to places where missionaries go we can help them get there, by supporting them that would be as if we ourselves went.

When God delivered Israel out of Egypt, Israel was not broke, they left with gold and silver, and cattle and other herds. They left with fine linens and with tools.
They had been in slavery for 400 years, where did they get all these riches? They got them from the Egyptians. God owns all the cattle on a thousand hills, we are His heirs, shouldn't we be able to gain riches?

It is not up to us to judge anyone, but instead to pray for them. That is what we should be doing. If God blessed me and made me a multi-millionaire I would definitely support some ministries, regardless of whether I thought they deserve it of not if God put it in my heart to do it than I would be obligated to do it.

I also believe in helping the "poorer" ministries.....that's why I feel led to help indigenous missions through Christian Aid  (especially in Muslim countries where no American or Western missionaries are allowed).   Even though I am not rich or "middle class" in income, I still think I am blessed by God.  If God would bless me more so....I would love to help these missions even more!!

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2007, 09:27:31 AM »

Amen Sister,
 I always ask God to show me which ministries to sow my seed to. He knows exactly where He wants us to sow. And He always provides seed for us. Just like He did for the widow in 1Kings.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
russ44k

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2007, 10:54:46 PM »

What I know of Joel is he won't tell his congrigation that there sinners because it makes them feel bad .Like most of the TV preachers and I use that with a little salt .They knowhow to  scam the flock.the Word tells us they will come as wolves in Sheeps Clothing .If theses  tv guys would use all the money that gets sent to them then we wouldnt have poverty in this country but look at what they live in .It ok to bee comfertable but million dollar mansions arenot needed.

B= basic
I= instructions
B= before
L= leaving
E=earth
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2007, 04:06:39 AM »

Hello Russ44k,

Welcome to Christians Unite.

I look forward to reading your posts and having fellowship with you.

I saw a news story the other night about the lifestyles of the rich and famous TV preachers, and it was obscene. Many of the mansions were big enough to be hospitals, and many of these so-called preachers had several mansions. I turned it off after they started showing the private jets of these so-called preachers. It was sickening to realize that many people with humble means sent their offerings to pay for those lavish things of the world. Do the supporters know what their offerings are being used for? Let's get real - are these offerings being used for the LORD'S Work?

Brothers and Sisters, I realize that many would call me an old square, and I would probably also be known as an "OLD FUNDY". That's fine, and I'm actually beginning to like these terms. I have a large family, and a fairly large percentage of my family includes several generations of preachers and missionaries. The preachers and missionaries in my family are simple people who are good stewards of any offerings given to them in the name of the LORD. I must add that they also give offerings to others out of the offerings they receive.

I really only want to say one more thing, and I'll get off of my soap box. Bluntly and simply, I consider it criminal and sinful for people to misuse and abuse offerings that were given in the name of the LORD for HIS Work. Many of them are obeying man's  law, but they will answer to a higher court one day.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 3:14-19 NASB  For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2007, 08:39:56 PM »

I don't usually watch TBN, but some of the tv preachers do preach the Word of God and some of the programming is going into areas like the Middle East which is really needed....but regarding mansions, etc, personally I think it's important to try to live a simple lifestyle and share more.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 08:41:33 PM by Debp » Logged

russ44k

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2007, 11:12:13 PM »

debp
yes TBN does have a handfull of pastors that are good .The problem I see is not enough people know Gods word who watch tbn to be able to tell who teaching truth or who teaching false doctrine.
Normally when I watch tbn its to see what new doctrine did tbn come up with .
I donot recommend tbn for viewing unless your well versed in Gods word.
Some one tell me is it ok to talk of a fales doctrine and name whos teaching it?

B= basic
I= instructions
B= before
L= leaving
E=earth
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2007, 11:36:20 PM »

Some one tell me is it ok to talk of a fales doctrine and name whos teaching it?

Personally I think that it is best to approach this with a positive outlook. Preach the word of God.

We have many threads on here about false doctrines and whose teaching them. What the world needs is Jesus Christ. Teach the truth and the false teachings will be known.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2007, 05:37:59 AM »

AMEN Pastor Roger!

I have no doubt at all that GOD'S WORD is still the most powerful weapon and tool in existence.

I must also say that the simple TRUTH of JESUS CHRIST and the CROSS is still the BEST NEWS there is on this earth. Little children can understand GOD'S simple plan of Salvation, and this is one message that never grows old. In fact JESUS used children as an example of coming to HIM in childlike faith and spoke of them as the greatest in Heaven. JESUS warned those around HIM to never forbid the children from coming to HIM.

Brothers and Sisters, if there's ever been a time, it's time to share JESUS CHRIST and the CROSS. This is the greatest POWER in the HOLY BIBLE, and GOD will help us to share it. I was just thinking that many churches today are in the self-help business, and they teach just about everything EXCEPT the REAL POWER OF GOD'S WORD. I'm not interested in self-help, but I am interested in learning more about JESUS CHRIST and asking HIM to help me. I'm not interested in so-called social gospels, becoming popular in the community, getting rich, or being more acceptable to the world. I want the GOSPEL OF THE GRACE OF GOD, and that's what the entire world is desperate for. I don't want to know more about myself and how to change myself. I want to learn everything I can about JESUS CHRIST and yield to let HIM work in and through me. I want JESUS CHRIST to change me, and HE'S already started this work. Further, GOD will complete this work most perfectly according to HIS Promises.

Brothers and Sisters, I really just want to make one point. Tell everyone the Old, Old Story - about GOD'S Glory - and what JESUS CHRIST did for us on the CROSS. Tell everyone about GOD'S GIFT to us and what it means. Simple people with limited language skills can tell this TRUTH IN GREAT POWER! Remember, the HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD lives in our hearts, and HE will help us tell the GOOD NEWS! Please don't think that you can't be GOD'S Messenger because of some weakness you might feel. If GOD calls you or gives you the opportunity, you are the perfect messenger for the job. GOD doesn't make any mistakes, and GOD can use stammering lips of clay for HIS Glory. GOD can even use our mistakes for HIS Glory, so we all need to remember that everything is about GOD'S Glory - not our glory.

Love In Christ,
Tom

GOOD NEWS!

1:  Romans 3:10 NASB  as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE; THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD; ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS; THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD, THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE."

2:  Romans 3:23  NASB  for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

3:  Romans 5:12  NASB  Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned--

4:  Romans 6:23  NASB  For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

5:  Romans 1:18  NASB  For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,

6:  Romans 3:20  NASB  because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

7:  Romans 3:27  NASB  Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith.

8:  Romans 5:8-9  NASB  But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.

9:  Romans 2:4  NASB  Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?

10:  Romans 3:22  NASB  even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction;

11:  Romans 3:28  NASB  For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

12:  Romans 10:9  NASB  that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

13:  Romans 4:21  NASB  and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform.

14:  Romans 4:24 NASB  but for our sake also, to whom it will be credited, as those who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead,

15:  Romans 5:1  NASB  Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

16:  Romans 10:10  NASB  for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

17:  Romans 10:13  NASB  for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."

Thanks be unto GOD for HIS unspeakable GIFT!, JESUS CHRIST, our Lord and Saviour forever!

sjoara

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2007, 11:11:06 PM »

Well, I may dislike Joel Osteens "preaching", because I don't really consider him to be a preacher, but I can tolerate him more than Rodney Howard Browne and Benny Hinn.....I will not apologize when I say that those two are disgraceful and appalling, and will have to stand before Yeshua  and answer for thier atrocities towards Jesus Christ and Christianity. They are borderline blasphemous.

I am not judging, but from thier actions, behavior and comments alone, its very clear to see what they really are.  They really disgust me, I am not a fan of them and a few others, I could name, but I will end here.

GOD IS MY DEFENCE, I SHALL NOT BE MOVED.
russ44k

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2007, 08:04:26 AM »

sjtoara
I would agree with you on the folks you mentioned and many many more who are on TBN,and other so called Christian TV stations.Just a Quick verse in matthew 7;1&2 Do not judge lest you be judge. For in the way that you judge you will be judged:and by the  standard of measure ,it will be measured to you.(NASB)
I believe this verse and others are telling us not to judge others because more than likely we may not beable to stand up to are own scrutiny.
so with that said I would try and refrain from judging the speakers, and verify what is being taught with Gods word .Anyone who takes a look and lets the Spirit lead them and not what some man says on TV will see how much false teaching there is coming from these guys.
I have a book called Christianity In Crisis it documents the teachings of most of the false teachings on TBN it also has audio of some of the speakers spuing out the teaching..There are teaching on that TV station of Christ going to hell and being punished  bound in chains and wiped for our sin. but yet on the cross he said "IT IS FINISHED"witch is a accounting term that MEANS PAID IN FULL.so if it was paid at the cross then being tortured in hell was not needed.and makes Christ a lier.
or how about a god head that is 9 instead of 3.the basic teaching is this ,God the father is a triune being God the son is triune and God the spirit is triune.that makes 9. I'm not against spreading Gods plane of salvation over the airwaves but it sure would be nice to be able to have solid teachings being taught according to the Word instead of warm and fuzzy according to man.

B= basic
I= instructions
B= before
L= leaving
E=earth
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the