Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:16:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Why is my son an atheist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why is my son an atheist?  (Read 13755 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2006, 05:44:08 PM »

The following is an article that is of importance to both parents and to church groups. Pay close attention.

A phone call from a compromised Christian

I had a compromised Christian who called up the ministry and was transferred to me—he never even gave me his name. One of the first things he told me was that he didn’t agree with AiG’s stance about the age of the earth or that Genesis was literal history. Then he told me that he had been urged to call anyway because of his situation. So I kindly asked what was going on.

He said that his son refused to accept Jesus Christ and just told him he was an atheist and would never trust the Bible. Yet he insisted that he taught his son about Christ and has taken him to church for years.

Then I asked if the church taught Genesis as literal history or as allegory/metaphor. He promptly said that both he and the church agree that it was not literal history and was not meant to be taken as it was written and they wouldn’t dare teach their children anything else.

I said, “So you taught your son that the Bible wasn’t really trustworthy when it speaks in Genesis but you also told him that it is trustworthy when it speaks about Christ?”

He sounded like he was “squirming” on the phone. I said, “You realize that your son is actually a pretty smart kid.” I continued, “Since you made it clear to him that one part of the Bible wasn’t worth trusting, then he applied this to the rest of the Bible.”

At this point, the man I spoke with realized where I was coming from. I continued with a mini-relevance talk to explain the problem of death before sin and interpretation of Genesis.

Though he still didn’t agree with us, he understood that he was partly to blame for his son not accepting what the Bible teaches about Christ, and I encouraged him to re-evaluate Genesis’ plain reading, and then speak with his son. We discussed this a bit further and ended the conversation in a kind, Christ-like manner.

We have been clear that one can still be a Christian and be an evolutionist; however, this stance is inconsistent. This is one reason the church is losing its children to atheism.

As long as the church or parents tell their children not to believe what God says in Genesis, the children—logically—apply that stance to the whole Bible, including the gospel. And these children refuse to believe in Christ because they don’t trust the Bible in Genesis.

If parents want their children to take the gospel message seriously, then they need to set an example that the Bible can be trusted in all areas that it addresses, rather than teaching that only parts of the Bible can be trusted. Children are perceptive and this explains why they see many Christian role models, many times their own parents, as hypocritical.

The point, then, is yes, one can be compromised to the point of accepting evolution and it won’t affect their salvation, but it does affect the next generation and those who are witnessed to. Please pray that the church as a whole will return to the plain reading of the Bible and get properly rooted in Genesis, the foundation of the gospel.

Although I disagree with this person statemnt in the last paragraph, the main point I want to bring out here is that if people do not accept the Bible literally in one aspect how can we expect them to accept any of it as being literal!! It is quite plain and simple, teach someone to doubt a part of the Bible and eventually they will be doubting the entire word.

Are you teaching your children or congregation to doubt God's word?

Tit 3:8  This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
dp

Worker in the field

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 02:45:17 AM »

There's still another level to that kind of problem. It has much to do with some of the newer Bible translations, such as the NIV. For example, the NIV is from a different set of manuscripts than the KJV. The Greek text is associated with Westcott and Hort's 19th century 'new age' influences. Because of those influences in the NIV, and with more Ministers accepting it and the idea of ecumenicalism (joining of all religions), that's why those are getting away from a 'literal' interpretation of Genesis, our Lord's conception through virgin Mary, and what Genesis 6 says about the fallen angels mating with flesh woman on earth.

Not only that, in the 1st century A.D. a group of heretics called the Gnostics took Greek and pagan philosophy and mixed it with Christian doctrine, and they also used the name Christian to apply to themselves. They did not believe Jesus really died on the cross, but that He lived to be an old man. Our Lord's Apostles and disciples contended with that false Gnostic system early in Christian history. Those false Gnostic ideas are still present in the world today, and the concept of the "New Age Church" is no doubt part of that movement. Those are preparing many for the Babylon Harlot one-world church of Revelation 17, which cannot include the apostates who fall away from Christ without first compromising accuracy in God's Word. That explains why more Ministers are refusing to teach Genesis as literal history. It's because many of them are becoming athestic themselves.

The next problem is how God's Word has different levels of understanding. I present a simple analogy on that using knowledge of automobiles. The first level of knowledge would be someone who only knows how to put gas in a car, air up the tires, wax it, etc. The next level might be the mechanic, who has a working knowledge of its parts and principles and can repair it. The deepest level would be the engineer who can design it. All three of those levels agree with each other. They are simply different levels of the same truth, the car in this case. This kind of comparison is given in Hebrews 5 when speaking about the 'milk' understanding vs. the "strong meat" understanding in God's Word.

The other problem is how too many fellow-believers simply rely on man to interpret God's Word for them without verifying in It for themselves. Some people don't want to think for theirselves but instead want to trust in some man who tells them what to believe (i.e., the opposite of those at Berea - Acts 17:10-12). Many believers today are in the state like Isaiah 30:10 where God mocked them saying, "Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:". Thus I can't help thinking if that father had been on the "strong meat" of The Word, he wouldn't have chosen to listen to that kind of Minister, and thus his son would not have become apostate.

dp
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:11:54 AM »

The following is an article that is of importance to both parents and to church groups. Pay close attention.

A phone call from a compromised Christian

I had a compromised Christian who called up the ministry and was transferred to me—he never even gave me his name. One of the first things he told me was that he didn’t agree with AiG’s stance about the age of the earth or that Genesis was literal history. Then he told me that he had been urged to call anyway because of his situation. So I kindly asked what was going on.

He said that his son refused to accept Jesus Christ and just told him he was an atheist and would never trust the Bible. Yet he insisted that he taught his son about Christ and has taken him to church for years.

Then I asked if the church taught Genesis as literal history or as allegory/metaphor. He promptly said that both he and the church agree that it was not literal history and was not meant to be taken as it was written and they wouldn’t dare teach their children anything else.

I said, “So you taught your son that the Bible wasn’t really trustworthy when it speaks in Genesis but you also told him that it is trustworthy when it speaks about Christ?”

He sounded like he was “squirming” on the phone. I said, “You realize that your son is actually a pretty smart kid.” I continued, “Since you made it clear to him that one part of the Bible wasn’t worth trusting, then he applied this to the rest of the Bible.”

At this point, the man I spoke with realized where I was coming from. I continued with a mini-relevance talk to explain the problem of death before sin and interpretation of Genesis.

Though he still didn’t agree with us, he understood that he was partly to blame for his son not accepting what the Bible teaches about Christ, and I encouraged him to re-evaluate Genesis’ plain reading, and then speak with his son. We discussed this a bit further and ended the conversation in a kind, Christ-like manner.

We have been clear that one can still be a Christian and be an evolutionist; however, this stance is inconsistent. This is one reason the church is losing its children to atheism.

As long as the church or parents tell their children not to believe what God says in Genesis, the children—logically—apply that stance to the whole Bible, including the gospel. And these children refuse to believe in Christ because they don’t trust the Bible in Genesis.

If parents want their children to take the gospel message seriously, then they need to set an example that the Bible can be trusted in all areas that it addresses, rather than teaching that only parts of the Bible can be trusted. Children are perceptive and this explains why they see many Christian role models, many times their own parents, as hypocritical.

The point, then, is yes, one can be compromised to the point of accepting evolution and it won’t affect their salvation, but it does affect the next generation and those who are witnessed to. Please pray that the church as a whole will return to the plain reading of the Bible and get properly rooted in Genesis, the foundation of the gospel.

Although I disagree with this person statemnt in the last paragraph, the main point I want to bring out here is that if people do not accept the Bible literally in one aspect how can we expect them to accept any of it as being literal!! It is quite plain and simple, teach someone to doubt a part of the Bible and eventually they will be doubting the entire word.

Are you teaching your children or congregation to doubt God's word?

Tit 3:8  This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Excellent points! Thanks for this!  Smiley

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 11:24:32 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

AMEN! This is a good thread that should cause every Christian to serously consider what they do and what they say in having an effect on their own children and everyone around them.

Christians should never let folks like Darwin convince them that parts of the Holy Bible are nothing but fairy tales. There is no doubt at all that the theory of evolution has been a very destructive influence to Christianity. The thought that troubles me the most is that some Christians will accept a theory of man over the Word of God. The ONLY facts about Creation are in the Holy Bible because the CREATOR wanted us to know the facts. It's really just as simple as that.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Galatians 4:4-6 NASB  But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"

Mockingbird

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 08:36:54 AM »

The thought that troubles me the most is that some Christians will accept a theory of man over the Word of God.

Echo that!  =-)

Since I'm the product of public schools, I know my faith was very much damaged because I had evolution hammered into my brain for so many years.  Not only evolution, but also stuff about how the Earth is billions of years old, the big bang theory, etc. etc. etc.  I needed God to erase all that stuff before I could really accept the Bible.  Not only the first two chapters of Genesis, but all of the Bible.  When I was able to ignore one part of the Bible, it was easy to ignore anything else that did not settle with me. 
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 10:52:56 AM »

Echo that!  =-)

Since I'm the product of public schools, I know my faith was very much damaged because I had evolution hammered into my brain for so many years.  Not only evolution, but also stuff about how the Earth is billions of years old, the big bang theory, etc. etc. etc.  I needed God to erase all that stuff before I could really accept the Bible.  Not only the first two chapters of Genesis, but all of the Bible.  When I was able to ignore one part of the Bible, it was easy to ignore anything else that did not settle with me. 

Amen! That is just exactly what these people want .....  others to doubt the Bible and that is why they are fighting so hard to make it a law that no one can doubt their false teachings.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 11:05:18 PM »

Amen Mockingbird!

I give thanks that you did spend some time with the Holy Bible, and I promise that you will never regret it. When you hold the Holy Bible, always remember that you are holding God's Word that was written to you. Our life here is short, but our life with JESUS is for eternity. It amazing that the Holy Bible contains the only accurate history of mankind and the universe, but it still has room left to teach us how to live happier and more productive lives. I pray that God will richly bless you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

John 4:36-38 NASB  "Already he who reaps is receiving wages and is gathering fruit for life eternal; so that he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together. "For in this case the saying is true, 'One sows and another reaps.' "I sent you to reap that for which you have not labored; others have labored and you have entered into their labor."

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 08:20:01 AM »

Amen Mockingbird!

I give thanks that you did spend some time with the Holy Bible, and I promise that you will never regret it. When you hold the Holy Bible, always remember that you are holding God's Word that was written to you. Our life here is short, but our life with JESUS is for eternity. It amazing that the Holy Bible contains the only accurate history of mankind and the universe, but it still has room left to teach us how to live happier and more productive lives. I pray that God will richly bless you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

John 4:36-38 NASB  "Already he who reaps is receiving wages and is gathering fruit for life eternal; so that he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together. "For in this case the saying is true, 'One sows and another reaps.' "I sent you to reap that for which you have not labored; others have labored and you have entered into their labor."

Amen Brother. God knew what it was going to be like before He even created us, that is why He wrote in Proverbs 22:6

Pr 22:6 ¶ Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

It is up to the parents to begin training their children, even before the child is born.
While the child is still in the womb mothers should pray for their baby, and read the Bible aloud, it is said that babies can hear while in the womb, while I don't know if that is a proven fact or not I do beleive that The baby's spirit is capable of hearing God's Word even before birth.
Parents are children's first teachers, we only have 5 years to (not counting the 9 months in the womb) to teach them. Let's use those few years wisely.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 08:28:56 AM »

Parents are children's first teachers, we only have 5 years to (not counting the 9 months in the womb) to teach them.
I followed the rest, but I got lost here. Huh

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 08:33:08 AM »

I followed the rest, but I got lost here. Huh

Sister most children start school at age 5, those are the first yers wen a child learns the most, the values and morals that parents teach their children have to be done in a short amount of time. We do however also have the 9 months before the babe is born and those 9 monthss should also be used to speak God's Word over the chilld, and to speak God's Word aloud. I hope I didn't confuse you.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 08:51:48 AM »

Sister most children start school at age 5, those are the first yers wen a child learns the most, the values and morals that parents teach their children have to be done in a short amount of time.

Unless they go to boarding schools, you also have weekends and afternoon/evenings and mornings, don't you?  Undecided

I hope I didn't confuse you.
"Confusion" is my home state.  Wink

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 09:17:36 AM »

Children continue learning through out there years to adulthood. In fact children from the age of 8 to 18 are very readily influenced by their peers as well as those considered to be in authority at public schools. Peer pressure and public school teachers quite often ends up over riding the lessons that parents give to their children. It is for this reason that I strongly recommend a good Christian school or home schooling of your children.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 12:14:18 PM »

Unless they go to boarding schools, you also have weekends and afternoon/evenings and mornings, don't you?  Undecided

ROFL, I'll keep that in mind

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 12:25:14 PM »

I tried to find that on a map and couldn't find that state.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 12:39:22 PM »

I tried to find that on a map and couldn't find that state.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

me niether, could it be that it's somwhere in area 51 Huh
you know that's not on the map either.  but if it is then I would be confused too, Sincereheart. Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the