Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:14:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Apostolic succession
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Apostolic succession  (Read 11914 times)
piusx

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2006, 12:12:19 AM »

I have looked through the board and I have not found a discussion on this topic. My question is simple can someone still be a christian and deny the work of the Lord through apostolic succession?
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 03:27:17 AM »

Apostolic succession, is a falicy of the RCC. False teaching of the Church, are not limited to just the RCC though. The Mormons, Latter-Day Saints of Jesus Christ also teach of this false teachings. Though the LDS claims that apostolic succession was broken during the Great Apostasy, or falling away from the teachings of Jesus Christ, and later restored in America.

Apostolic succession, all Catholic bishops say they can have their lineage of predecessors traced back to the time of the apostles. This is impossible since all tax census records were destroyed back in 66-70 AD. The court was destroyed in 66-70 AD during the siege of Jerusalem. With those record destroyed, there is no proof, for a claim of apostolic succession.

Well I have proof, I am related to two saints by the Catholic Church. Begga, and Itta, are my ancestors. Does this mean that they are better, then I am? No, all it means is that they followed the Catholic Church.

For the Catholic Church says to confess your sins, to your father (Abba). My Father is God, not a man. Right there is proof that I can't follow any teachings of the Catholic Church.

Lou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 04:09:47 PM »

Hello, this is my first post and thought it would be appropriate if I introduced myself.  My handle is Lou, but you can call me Louie or Luis or whatever.  I'm not bothered by any.  I would like to say DreamWeaver that I have read a lot of your posts as well as Pastor Roger's posts and have to tell you that I enjoy them immensely because I see sound doctrine as well as a shepard's heart to protect the sheep.  Neither of you have ever watered down the gospel nor have you added anything to the gospel.  So thanks.

Pius, I have read your posts as well and hope that you consider the replys you have received with an open heart.  Like you, I grew up catholic.  Sign of the cross passing a church, no meat on Fridays, prayed the rosary, the works.  One day, in an attempt to educate those who would say my beliefs were wrong, I picked up the bible and began to read it.  Pius, this is what I urge you to do.  Open the word of God and through it He will speak to you.

Pray before you read.  Do not harden your heart.  Go into it with an honest heart.  When I read it the first time I prayed "Some say this about you, others say something else.  I don't know who you are but I want to.  So whoever this book says you are, that's the Jesus I'm going to follow."  It will change your life, and regarding your religion, you will be amazed at what the word of God has to say about it.

Remember as you read, that God cannot contradict himself, nor has He ever.  He will not say one thing in His word and then give a man authority to contradict it.  It is a wicked and uncaring god who seeks to confuse his children.  And that just ain't our God.   Good luck in your search for the truth.  I will be praying for you.

I know it doesn't sound like I addressed your original question, but I think I know where you were going with it, and chose to address that instead.  God Bless.

Louie
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 04:13:18 PM by Lou » Logged
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 04:20:34 PM »

Quote from: Lou
Open the word of God and through it He will speak to you.
AMEN!!

I see this is your first post here Lou. So hello Lou, and welcome to Christians Unite forums. Thank you for the kind words, to Pastor Roger and myself. Please join in with fellowship of the Lord.

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

2 Kings 6:3 One said, Be pleased to go with your servants. He answered, I will go.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 04:26:09 PM »

Hi lou,

Welcome to Chrisitans Unite. I thank you also for the kinds words but all thanks and praise belong to God and none of my own.

I must say that in your addressing this situation that you have also answered the main topic of this thread even though some may not see it that way and quite eloquently at that.

I hope to see many more posts from you.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Lou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 04:34:57 PM »

Thank you both for being so welcoming.  It's a great site!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 04:43:35 PM »

Another Amen Lou!

First, I want to WELCOME! you to Christians Unite.

I really like what you said about praying before studying the Holy Bible. You are so RIGHT about this advice. The Holy Spirit of God will open our eyes and hearts for the study of God's Word, and we see and understand what God wants us to.

I'm looking forward to reading your posts and having fellowship with you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Philippians 1:6 NASB  For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 05:12:11 PM »

Lou, first I want to welcome you to CU, I am so happy when a brother or sister join us and have a sound knowledge of the Word of God.
Second, I want to compliment you on your reply to pious, and thirdly you seem to be very wise, first reading the posts and making sure that this is a 'real' Christian forum. You seem to have familiarized yourself with some of our brothers. I look forward to reading more of your posts.
In Christ,
Maria

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Lou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 06:18:55 PM »

Thanks again guys.  Nice to be here.  Maria, I did go to the different threads and purposely went to the posts of those marked moderator and took note of how they responded. I am familiar with you as well Tom, and your welcoming post is greatly appreciated.

Louie

1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 08:10:44 PM »

Pray before you read.  Do not harden your heart.  Go into it with an honest heart.  When I read it the first time I prayed "Some say this about you, others say something else.  I don't know who you are but I want to.  So whoever this book says you are, that's the Jesus I'm going to follow."  It will change your life, and regarding your religion, you will be amazed at what the word of God has to say about it.
AMEN! No matter what your background is, that's great advice!  Cheesy

Remember as you read, that God cannot contradict himself, nor has He ever.  He will not say one thing in His word and then give a man authority to contradict it.  It is a wicked and uncaring god who seeks to confuse his children.  And that just ain't our God.
And ain't that the truth!  Cheesy

BLAD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 12:29:54 AM »

Pray before you read.  Do not harden your heart. 

You got it right.  Many,even those we call inteligent or genuises can not understand the Word of God.  The Bible though written by men is inspired by God, so only those that have the Holy Spirit that guide them will understand the Word of God. Without wisodm coming from God we will misinterpret the Bible.

Welcome to christiansunite Lou.  I am still new here but i learned a lot. This site is great!!!

Blad
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 09:13:38 AM »

Thanks again guys.  Nice to be here.  Maria, I did go to the different threads and purposely went to the posts of those marked moderator and took note of how they responded. I am familiar with you as well Tom, and your welcoming post is greatly appreciated.

Louie

1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

Then you must know that we like to have some fun too  Grin  Grin  Grin

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
LuckyStrike

John 3:8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 06:35:02 PM »

Greetings in the name of Christ Jesus, piusx. I have two questions for you.

How do you know that Christ Jesus instituted "apostolic succession"? And do you have any historical evidence of undisputed "apostolic succession" in action?

1 Peter 3:15 [NIV]
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 03:17:55 PM »

The number one problem with the concept of apostolic succession is the definition of an apostle.  An apostle was an apostle because:

1.  They personally witnessed the risen Christ.
2.  They were personally taught by Christ.
3.  They were personally called an apostle by Christ.

See a common thread?  My problem with this "succession" is that in order for it to meet the defenition, both historically and scripturally, Jesus is still giving us further revelation.  This is, biblically speaking, heresy.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Kelly4Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 06:36:23 PM »

I don't really know what Apostolic Succession is, but I promise to look it up!

I grew up Roman Catholic, during the 60's and 70's. It was, at that time a very judgmental, money loving church. I know this as a fact because, my mother was turned away as a Catholic because she divorced, but a famous senator of that time, who gave millions to the church, was absolved, even though he also committed murder.

As for the Catholic religion today, I don't know how they handle things. I do know that, a Pope is voted in by man, not by God. Same with all that are brought into the church as "leaders". The bible clearly states that, we are to profess our sins STRICTLY to our Father; God. No man can absolve us of sin. No prayer ritual given by a man can absolve us either. We must be forgiven by the Father, by professing our sins directly to HIM--not to a man behind a frosted window in a booth, or any person for that matter.

The bible also clearly states that, we are not to worship idols. Yet, I grew up watching candles lit under Jesus' mother, Mary and she is worshipped. The bible, no where states that Mary is anyone to pray to. Neither is Joseph or any other biblical figure except to God. God, being Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit. We also are not to profess one church as the only church, but to profess one GOD as the only God we follow. By professing one's church (part of the apostolic creed--"We believe in one HOLY, Apostolic, Catholic Church". No, I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, His Son, Christ and the presence of the Holy Spirit.

I am not bashing the Catholic people. My grandmother was a devout Catholic and probably more Christian than most people I ever knew. However, the rituals that are followed by the Catholic Church (and many others, for that matter) do not follow what is clearly taught in the Bible. Man is the one that made their own laws involving the church as a building and religion. Christ told us that WE were the church. We, being each of us that follows Jesus and are His Children.

God Bless,
Kelly

God Bless You Always!
In The Precious Love of Jesus,
Kelly

Psalm 62: 5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;  my hope comes from him.  6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the