Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:34:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible Minute
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 130 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Minute  (Read 298587 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: June 03, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »

Distributed Freely by Back To The Bible
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 3, 2013
Topic: God's Care, Faith/Trust, Christian Living/Situational

Faithfulness Shortage

On a scale of one to ten, how faithful (trustworthy, reliable, loyal) do you think the people you meet every day at work or at school or in the marketplace are? Think of number one as not at all faithful and number ten as faithful all the time. Now, where would you rank your personal faithfulness level?

The thing is, faithfulness isn't really as common as we'd like it to be. If faithfulness means keeping our promises, following through on our responsibilities, being committed and reliable--someone others can count on--then we're all in trouble. You can probably even give specific instances when you (or someone else) failed to be faithful.

Receive

The good news is, God is not just like we are. He never scores a one in faithfulness. He is faithful all the time, no matter what we do in return. And when you feel like everyone has left you in the dust, when no one cares or keeps their commitments to you, God is still faithful.

Just look at the experiences recorded in the psalms. Over and over the writers reflect the hardship of living with unfaithful people, but they come back to the sure knowledge that God never fails to be faithful. For example, faced with enemies, betrayers and faithless people, David goes to God in Psalm 86:15 and says,

"But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness" (ESV).

God is the only one who can ever be perfectly faithful. And when that's what you need, do as David did and go to God:

"Hear my prayer, O Lord;
give ear to my pleas for mercy!
In your faithfulness answer me, in your righteousness!" (Psalm 143:1, ESV).

God is not only your source of faithfulness, He's also your model. As His children, we have a responsibility to become faithful people too. Faithfulness should become fruit in our lives, evidence that the Holy Spirit is at work in us (Galatians 5:22). That's the challenge.

Reflect

How does God show His faithfulness to us? Check out these verses for some ideas.

Genesis 9:11-16

Psalm 91:4

Psalm 145:13

1 Corinthians 10:13

2 Thessalonians 3:3

1 John 1:9

Some of these things only God can do. But based on what you've seen of God's faithfulness, what can you do to be a faithful person?

Respond

There is definitely a shortage of faithfulness in our world. But you can make a difference. Is there someone who needs your forgiveness? A promise you need to keep? What about sticking with a task or following through on something God has called you to do? Maybe it means just turning up on time or being prepared for that Bible study you attend. Perhaps you need to talk to your friend or your spouse and find out just what they need from you in terms of faithfulness.

Being faithful isn't easy; it means going against the flow in many ways. But there's a little word of encouragement found in 1 Thessalonians 5:24, "He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it" (ESV). When God calls you to be faithful, just as He is faithful, He's going to help make it happen. Take the risk; do your part to end the faithfulness shortage!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: June 05, 2013, 12:32:59 AM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 4, 2013
Topic: Faith/Trust

Don't Look Down

"Don't look down!"

When was the last time you ignored that advice? You may have regretted it! Maybe heights don't scare you that much, but for many, looking down from a precarious perch can actually be dangerous.

In a sense, that's the same kind of advice Peter's giving in our passage for today. But first he begins in 1:3 by looking up.

Receive

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead" (1 Peter 1:3, ESV). Read through that verse again, and read the next two as well. Notice how many times Peter tells us we have something to be grateful for.

We are born again; we have a living hope; we have an imperishable inheritance waiting for us; we are guarded through our faith in God and awaiting His future return. Notice also the source of these blessings--the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

We are saved because of God's mercy, through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. We have a living hope because of His Resurrection. It's the power of God that backs His promises and preserves our inheritance. So, by the time we get to verse 6, it feels natural to read, "In this you rejoice"! It's almost impossible not to rejoice after all that.

Peter's been focusing our eyes upwards, but notice in verses 6-7 the brief downward focus, "though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith...may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."

This is genuine faith. It's the faith that saves our soul, the faith that seals us in God's protective power, the faith that refuses to look away from God regardless of circumstances. It's the faith that reminds us to look up, not down.

Reflect

As you read the verses for today, think about the following questions:

1. What blessings does Peter mention?

2. Who gives us these blessings?

3. How long-lasting are the blessings?

4. What's one reason we have to endure trials?

5. What will our faith result in when Jesus comes again?

Respond

Are you finding it hard to look up these days? Take some time and remind yourself of what God's done for you. Pray to Him, and ask Him to show you the ways He's blessed your life that you may not have seen. Make it a point in the coming week to spend some time reading the Word and praying to God first thing in the morning. Before life has a chance to get you down, spend some time looking up.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: June 05, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 5, 2013
Topic: God

The Real God

There are some shaky and inaccurate beliefs about God in our world today. Many people don't have any idea who God is or how to relate to Him. They might believe God is distant and unconcerned. Or that you and I are on our own in the universe. Some might even insist that God didn't create men and women--that we just evolved.

But instead of listening to what some people say, let's listen to what God says. If you want to know the real God, the God who is in charge of everything, you need look no further than the Bible.

Receive

The whole Bible, all 66 books of it, is God's Word given to us. So all of it is useful for finding out about who God is and what He desires of us. But let's look specifically at Hebrews 1:1-3.

"Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets" (Hebrews 1:1, ESV). God speaks to us. This verse specifically talks about the prophets that relayed God's messages. Many of those prophets also wrote down God's words and those writings form much of our Old Testament. God's words given to the prophets were meant first for the Jewish people--but then for us also.

"But in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom he also created the world" (Hebrews 1:2, ESV). More recent than the prophets, God spoke to us through His Son, Jesus. Jesus is the creator of the world and the heir of all things. Jesus speaks to us the words of God.

"He [Jesus] is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high" (Hebrews 1:3, ESV).

Not only is Jesus the creator of the universe, He is also the forgiver of our sins. Jesus "upholds the universe by the word of his power." And later in Hebrews we see that Jesus is "able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives make intercession for them" (Hebrews 7:25, ESV).

He is the Lord of all creation and Savior of our souls. He is the One who scattered the stars in the heavens and has numbered the hairs on our heads. He is God, the second Person of the Trinity, and a friend we can draw near to. Why would we need anything else?

Reflect

As you read Hebrews 1:1-3, think about the following questions:

Knowing that God is creator of all things, what does that say about human origins?

What does God do in these verses to demonstrate His love for us?

Why is it important to you and me that Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father?

Respond

God has used the words of Psalm 139 to comfort and encourage many people since David wrote it nearly 3,500 years ago. This psalm is one of the most beautiful descriptions of God's intimate care and involvement in our lives. Read through Psalm 139 and pick out a couple of verses that really speak to you. Take those verses and write them out on paper in big letters. Decorate it and hang it up where you will see it often. If you prefer, use a computer and word processing program.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: June 07, 2013, 02:04:06 AM »

Free Email Subscription

Bible Study

Title: Jesus above Angels
Date: Jun 6, 2013
Topic(s): Jesus
Scripture: Romans 1:24-25, Hebrews 1:14, Colossians 1:16

Angels are popular today. Nearly every major newspaper and magazine over the last few years has run a story about angels. And, of course, many stores offer angel statues, angel jewelry, angel pictures, etc. In fact, a few years back a survey discovered that there are more than 140 stores in the United States that specialize solely in angel paraphernalia.

While angels are certainly a reality, do they deserve all the attention they're receiving these days? Let's look at what the Bible says.

Receive

"For by him [Jesus] all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him" (Colossians 1:16, ESV).

"Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen" (Romans 1:24-25, ESV).

"Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?" (Hebrews 1:14, ESV).

Who created the angels?
    What happens when people focus on that which was created rather than the Creator?
    What is the true purpose of angels in their relationship with humans?

Reflect

Today's fascination with angels borders on worship. Do you find yourself more attracted to angels than Jesus? Memorize Hebrews 1:4. The next time you're tempted to buy another "angel item," remind yourself who is better--angels or Jesus.

Respond

Take a look around your home and garden. You may also want to consider the jewelry you wear. Is there any indication that angels may be holding a more prominent place in your life than Jesus? Consider removing items that might distract you or others from the Person who should be the primary focus of your attention and adoration.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: June 07, 2013, 05:21:09 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 7, 2013
Topic: Jesus

Better Than Angels

Americans are fascinated with angels. Seventy to 80 percent of Americans believe in angels--including guardian angels. The TV series Touched by an Angel was watched by 24 million people during its nine-year run.

Unfortunately, the same enthusiasm doesn't hold true when it comes to a biblical view of Jesus. Only about nine percent of adult Americans understand the true significance of our Savior.

This lopsided view becomes especially important when we see what the Bible says about Jesus and angels.

Receive

Read the following verses from the Book of Hebrews and indicate how Jesus differs from the angels.

Hebrews 1:1-4
    Hebrews 1:5
    Hebrews 1:6
    Hebrews 1:7-8
    Hebrews 1:13

Reflect

While it may be appropriate to appreciate the ministry of angels, keep in mind they are only doing what God has instructed them to do (Hebrews 1:14). Jesus, on the other hand, chose to take on human flesh, to live among us and, finally, to die for our sins. No one forced Him to do any of those things against His will. As He told His disciples:

"The Father loves me because I sacrifice my life so I may take it back again. No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded" (John 10:17-18, NLT).

Be aware, as well, that angels can be deceptive. Paul warns us that Satan can disguise himself as an "angel of light" (2 Corinthians 11:14). In Galatians, the apostle implies that angels (those who fell with Satan) are capable of perpetrating a false gospel (Galatians 1:8 ). As a result, those claiming their teaching comes from an angel should be treated with caution.

Respond

Take some time today to think about the superiority of Christ over the angels. Offer a prayer of thanksgiving and praise that it was God, not an angel, who purchased your salvation.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: June 10, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 10, 2013
Topic: Obedience/Discipleship

Better Than the Law

The law for a child might be, "Don't run into a busy street, even to get your favorite ball." Now, that law was not meant to keep your little one from having fun but to protect him or her.

God gave us the Law. But Jesus gave us something much better. First, let's look at why God gave the Law.

Receive

Why did God give us the Law in the first place? The Bible tells us simply and clearly.

Look up Galatians 3:19 and Romans 5:20 (NLT) and answer the following questions.

Who gave the Law?
    To whom was the Law given?
    How long was the Law designed to last?
    What became more and more abundant as people sinned more?

So, then, what was the problem with the Law God gave us? Nothing. The problem was our disobedience, our inability and unwillingness to obey.

"Well then, am I suggesting that the law of God is sinful? Of course not! In fact, it was the law that showed me my sin. I would never have known that coveting is wrong if the law had not said, 'You must not covet'" (Romans 7:7, NLT).

So, trying to be good, trying to follow all the rules and regulations of religion, was a losing battle. Because the Law showed us how sinful we were, what was originally intended to be a guide and a help, now condemned us.

"So I discovered that the law's commands, which were supposed to bring life, brought spiritual death instead. Sin took advantage of those commands and deceived me; it used the commands to kill me. But still, the law itself is holy, and its commands are holy and right and good (Romans 7:10-12, NLT).

Reflect

So, God's Law which is holy and right showed me how sinful and disobedient I really am. I fool myself anytime I think I can be good enough to please God by trying harder not to sin or I can be okay with God simply by following the rules.

"For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will" (Romans 8:7, NLT).

What, then, is better than the Law? What does the Bible reveal that is wonderful news?

"But now God has shown us a way to be made right with him without keeping the requirements of the law, as was promised in the writings of Moses and the prophets long ago. We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are" (Romans 3:21-22, NLT).

"Brothers, listen! We are here to proclaim that through this man Jesus there is forgiveness for your sins. Everyone who believes in him is declared right with God--something the law of Moses could never do" (Acts 13:38-39, NLT).

What difference does Christ make in our lives, in living in a way that pleases God?
    Write out the differences and star those that are cause to praise God.

"The law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature. So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin's control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins." (Romans 8:3, NLT).

"But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit" (Romans 7:6, NLT).

Respond

Memorize Galatians 2:20. Ask God to help you live this out daily in your life.

"My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2:20, NLT).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: June 15, 2013, 02:12:42 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 11, 2013
Topic: Faith/Trust

Who's Better Than Jesus

You know, my first thought when I looked at the title of today's study (Who's Better Than Jesus) was of Abbott and Costello's classic comedy routine, Who's On First? In that routine, the comedy was built around a misunderstanding: The first baseman had the unusual nickname of "Who." Now, there may have been very few men like "Who" when it came to playing first base (or Abbott and Costello when it came to comedy). But when it comes to restoring our relationship with God, there's no one like Jesus.

Many people make that mistake, though; and the result isn't comical, it's tragic. Nothing and no one is better than Jesus. And when we put our trust in anything other than Him, the results will be disastrous.

Receive

In Hebrews we've seen how Jesus is better at providing everything you and I really need.

"But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises" (Hebrews 8:6, NKJV).

Jesus is the author of a better covenant--essentially the terms of our relationship with God. Under the Old Covenant, yearly sacrifices were required to cover the sins of the people. But Jesus died once to pay for sins once and for all time. All of us can now have a relationship with God knowing that when we trust Christ, He washes away our sins forever. Apart from Jesus, a relationship with God would be impossible.

Jesus also provides hope. "On the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God" (Hebrews 7:19, NKJV). A lot of movies and novels will make much of the fact that hope will sustain a person in even the darkest times. But in those stories the hope is usually for family or a return home. How much more powerful is the hope Jesus brings! "This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast" (Hebrews 6:19, NKJV).

Many people make promises to us, but only Jesus can supply everything we really need. He's the only One we can truly trust.

Reflect

So, what are your thoughts? Is it easy or hard to believe that Jesus is better than anything we can put our trust in? What have you seen that makes it easy? What makes it hard? What is one specific thing you can do today to show Jesus you trust Him?

Respond

Take an inventory of how trusting Jesus has made your life better. As you think of these blessings, turn them into praise. Thank God for everything He's done for you. Let the memory of God's faithfulness in the past fuel your trust in the future.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: June 15, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 12, 2013

God's Plan

It's easy to look at the events leading up to Jesus' Crucifixion and conclude that things went horribly wrong, that Jesus wandered into Satan's trap and died as a result. The Bible tells a very different story. Jesus' death and Resurrection were part of the plan all along.

Receive

After His Resurrection, Luke records a conversation between Jesus and two men on the road to Emmaus. "And he [Jesus] said to them, 'O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?' And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself" (Luke 24:25-27, ESV).

Moses was most known to the Jews as the man to whom God gave the Law. Moses and his brother established the sacrificial system at God's direction. The author of the Book Hebrews would later explain how the imperfect sacrifice of animals to atone for sins was a foreshadowing of a perfect future sacrifice: the sacrifice of Jesus.

Old Testament Scripture, like the following verse from Isaiah, includes descriptive prophecies to describe Jesus' suffering and the redemptive nature of His sacrifice.

"But he was wounded for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
and with his stripes we are healed" (Isaiah 53:5, ESV).

Let's look further at what Isaiah 53 has to say about Jesus.

Reflect

As you read through Isaiah 53, think about the following questions:

1. Why is it important to understand that Jesus' death was part of the plan?

2. How has His sacrifice brought "peace" to your life?

3. How has He brought "healing" into your life?

4. When you think of His sacrifice, do you feel amazed? Humbled? Grateful? Write down 2 or 3 adjectives to describe how you feel.

Respond

Of all the Gospel writers, Matthew seems most concerned with showing Jesus as the One foretold in the prophecies. Over the next week read through the Book of Matthew and find all the places where Matthew quotes an Old Testament author. A good study Bible will help you find these verses.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: June 15, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 13, 2013
Topic: Salvation, Jesus, God

Jesus Is God

Why can't people of all religious faiths accept that one faith may have as much validity as another? That's an insurmountable difficulty for Christians. Why? Because only Christians claim that the founder of their faith, Jesus of Nazareth, while fully human, is also fully God.

And this belief, that Jesus is God, sets Christianity apart from all religions and philosophies and contradicts their teachings. That Jesus is God is one of the most taught and affirmed truths in the Bible

Receive

The Bible teaches clearly that Jesus is God. Read the following verses and answer the questions:

Colossians 1:15-17
        John 1:1-4
        John 1:14,17

How does it help you to see Christ as a "visible image of the invisible God"?
    What kind of things does the Bible say God the Father created through Christ?
    Who holds all creation together?
    Who is referred to as "the Word" in John 1:1-4?
    What does it mean to you that "His life brought light to everyone"?
    How was the Law given to us?
    Through whom did we receive God's unfailing love and faithfulness?

The Bible teaches clearly that Jesus proclaimed Himself God. Look at:

John 10:30
        John 8:42
        John 14:9-11

Now, answer these questions:

What is the relationship between Jesus and the Father?
    Who sent Jesus into the world?
    Jesus said you would love Him if what?
    Jesus doesn't speak on His own initiative but whose?

The Bible teaches clearly that the followers of Jesus said He is God.

Matthew 14:33 and Matthew 16:16-17 are the verses that tell us that. Read them and answer these questions:

How did Jesus' disciples reveal their belief that Jesus was God's Son?
    What caused the people to believe that Jesus was "the Prophet we have been expecting" (NLT)?
    How did the disciples' description of who Jesus is differ from the description the people gave?
    Who revealed to Peter that Jesus is the Son of God?

The Bible teaches clearly that the enemies of Jesus believed that Jesus said He is God.

You'll find that recorded in John 10:31-33; John 8:42 and John 8:58-59. Read those verses and answer these questions:

What question did Jesus ask the Jews who were preparing to stone Him?
    Why were they going to stone Him?
    Where did Jesus say He had come from?
    Why did Jesus hide Himself?

Reflect

What do you think? Do you believe that Jesus is God? Would you say that to be a Christian, you must believe what Jesus said about His identity? If you do believe it, the Bible assures you:

"All who confess that Jesus is the Son of God have God living in them, and they live in God" (1 John 4:15, NLT).

Respond

If you do not confess that Jesus is God, you exclude yourself from God's family. It is God's truth that Jesus, His Son, is God. And it pleases God when we believe that truth--and it is the only way to salvation.

"For God in all his fullness
was pleased to live in Christ,
and through him God reconciled
everything to himself.
He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth
by means of Christ's blood on the cross" (Colossians 1:19-20, NASB).

If Jesus is God, and He is, then He was telling the truth when He said He had the power to forgive sins and when He said that He is the only way to God and heaven.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: June 15, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 14, 2013

Something Better

Here's an exciting opportunity. You just won first prize at the opening of the new bank. You have three minutes, 180 seconds, to carry out of the vault as much cash as you can. What you carry you can keep. But in fact there are two vaults: one filled with $5 bills and the other with $100 bills. In which vault do you begin? Duh!

No brainer, right? You choose the one with the best return. And the same is true when we want to hear from God. God has used many ways in the past to communicate with us, but now He has provided the best way of all. Let's see what that might be.

Receive

"Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son" (Hebrews 1:1-2, ESV).

What does this verse say about the ways God has spoken to us? What are some of the ways that God has made His Word known in the past? Your answers might include: creation--humankind, the world; men--like poets, preachers and prophets; circumstances; events and conscience (the "oughtness" within).

Today God speaks to us through His Son. What are the advantages of hearing from God through His Son?

"The words that I [Jesus] say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works" (John 14:10, ESV).

Jesus also taught us that He and He alone, was the way to God: Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" (John 14:6 NKJV).

Reflect

Now, you may ask, don't other religions and philosophies say they're the way to life or the way to God? While they may claim something like that, there is one huge difference between Christianity and all the others--in Christianity Christ says not only "here is the way" but also I give you the power to live that way.

When you have Jesus teaching you the very words of God, and you have Jesus enabling you to live God's way, then you have something much better than any other religion or philosophy that has ever existed.

Respond

Want know what God says? What to know what God's will for your life is? Want to know how to have a personal relationship with God? Take your Bible, go to the Gospels, read about what Jesus said and did--and you'll discover for yourself the very words of God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: June 17, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 17, 2013

The Greatest Prophet

What do people do that irritates you? Maybe a lot of things. But according to one survey, a majority of people consider the most obnoxious personality trait in others is "a lack of dependability." In other words, they can't be trusted to do what they say they will do.

God pointed to dependability as an essential mark of every genuine prophet. Moses warned the people of Israel in Deuteronomy 18:22 (ESV), "When a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him."

Today's Bible study will show you how Jesus Christ is a true prophet--infinitely greater than all the other prophets of God.

What Does God Say?

When the prophet Moses spoke, he uttered the very truths and promises that he had heard from the Lord. One of God's promises to His chosen people is found in Deuteronomy 18:18-19 (ESV): "I will raise up for them a prophet like you [Moses] from among their brothers. And I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him. And whoever will not listen to my words that he shall speak in my name, I myself will require it of him."

There were many remarkable prophets such as Elijah, Elisha, Isaiah, Daniel and John the Baptist. All of them spoke boldly in the name of the Lord, but the great Prophet spoken of in Deuteronomy 18 is none other than the Lord Jesus Christ Himself.

So Jesus answered them, "My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me. If anyone's will is to do God's will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority" (John 7:16-17 ESV). What Jesus says is totally dependable because He not only speaks God's words. He is the complete revelation of God in the flesh. He is the God-Man, the Way, the Truth and the Life. All that He says about the past, present and future is absolutely dependable. Why would you not listen to a prophet like Him who fully reveals God's message, character and will?

My Thoughts

God gave some revealing titles to some of His Old Testament prophets. Look up these verses and write down what the prophet is called in each one:

Haggai 1:13
    Amos 3:7
    Jeremiah 17:16

Now, find the following Scriptures and jot down how Jesus fulfills each of those descriptions:

Luke 4:32
    Acts 3:13
    John 10:11

My Part

Do you think dependability and integrity are as necessary in the life of today's Christian as they were in the lives of the prophets? Consider carefully 1 Peter 2:11-12 and ask yourself if you are demonstrating that kind of life.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: June 18, 2013, 05:12:19 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 18, 2013
Topic: Salvation

Superior Rest

Have you thought much about your own death? Since death's entrance into the world, the thought of it has produced confusion and distress in the souls of men and women. Being concerned about their own deaths caused people to come up with differing views on how to get into heaven.

Receive

The Pharisees in Jesus' day believed it was essential to follow all the rules and laws to get into heaven. There are still those who believe living according to a set of rules will assure them a place in heaven when they die. According to the 1993 National and International Religion Report, 88 percent of Catholics and a large number of Presbyterians who share their "faith" believe that if people are good and do good things, they will earn a place in heaven.

But how does it really work? Can you please God and get into heaven by trying daily to follow the rules and be a good person?

Let's see what God says.

Read Matthew 11:28-30 and answer the following questions:

How can you get "rest for your soul"?
    How does Jesus describe Himself in these verses?
    What do you have to take upon yourself?
    What promise does Jesus give if you accept His invitation?

Reflect

Imagine spending your life striving to figure out how to please God. Imagine differing voices promoting their own points of view on heaven. Imagine living before the time of Christ and having no Savior who has given "rest" from the haunting thoughts about where you will spend "forever."

Now, consider one of the criminals who was crucified next to Jesus. Read Luke 23:40-43 and answer the following questions:

One criminal rebuked the other for his treatment of Christ. What reason did he give?
    What did the criminal who rebuked his counterpart ask Jesus?
    What was Jesus' response to him?
    Write out four adjectives to describe the man's feelings when his burden of guilt was lifted, and he was assured he'd spend eternity in heaven.

Respond

Jesus takes a huge concern off your minds: He gives rest from worry including about where we'll spend eternity. All we are required to do is "Come" to Jesus. We have to believe on God's Son and receive Him into our lives. Then every time we anticipate our lives after death, we'll have rest from any worry about future life. If you don't know Jesus, check out the Meet Jesus page, and learn how to receive Him into your life.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: June 20, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 19, 2013
Topic: Jesus, Christian Living/Situational

Finding Rest

I need a nap. I feel so drained these days; I start every day just as tired as the night before. I've had it up to here; when is it my turn to rest? I'm carrying such a load right now; there's no way I can take a break, even if I wanted to!

Any of that sound familiar? Do you spend your days trying to do it all, to carry every burden, and then wonder why you just can't rest? I'm not sure you'll believe me, but when it comes right down to it, Jesus offers you the rest you need.

Receive

Sounds simple, doesn't it? Just give Jesus your burden and you'll be fine. In a way, it is simple. We try to carry everything ourselves--our work, our relationships, our worries, our struggles, our guilt and our shame. But Jesus says, "Let me do it." Most importantly, He lifted the burden of our sin. "Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Romans 5:1, ESV). You don't have to worry about making up for your sins before God. Jesus does that for you: He is your righteousness, the perfect sacrifice, and your access to eternal rest in heaven (see Hebrews 4).

What does that mean for today's burden of worry, stress, and struggles? It's not just a "someday" rest but rest for today. In Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus tells us, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (ESV).

This is all very "now." There's no waiting for this rest until later. First, come to Jesus. Acknowledge that He's the one who can help, and you can no longer carry it all yourself. That's not an easy step to take; we think we can manage on our own. Jesus invites you to take Him up on His offer of help and see how much better things go.

With Jesus, this sharing of the burden is also a call to intimacy. A yoke of oxen work closely; they're joined by a yoke across the neck and shoulders, heading in the same direction. Working closely with Jesus, walking side by side with Him each day--that's an intimate relationship, a relationship in which He shares your load.

Have you ever kept a problem to yourself, stewing over it for days or months? Then, when you shared it with a good friend, you either found a solution or some peace to deal with it. That's what Jesus offers: An opportunity to rest from the worrisome stress and struggles you face by sharing them with Him. It's what He promises in Psalm 23:2-3,

"He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength" (NLT).

Rest, peace, renewal--that's what Jesus offers.

Reflect

In the Bible, "rest" doesn't mean your troubles magically disappear; but rather, you find peace, shelter, refreshment or restoration. See what rest involves and what goes with it in the verses below:

Psalm 55:4-8, 16-19, 22

Psalm 91:1-4

Psalm 127:2

Jeremiah 6:16

Jeremiah 50:34

In Mark 6, Jesus sent His disciples out on a mission which they do well. Read over Mark 6:7-12 and 6:30-32.

What did the disciples do?
    What concerns did Jesus have as He sent them out? As they came back?
    Why did Jesus encourage them to rest?
    What does this tell you about how you should handle your service and responsibilities?
    What do you need to do today to "come away" with Jesus?

Respond

We began with our need for rest. Yes, most of us could do with more physical rest: getting better sleep, taking a break occasionally to do something other than work or deal with people. But mental and emotional rest is important, too, and learning to share the load with Jesus can be a huge help.

At the heart of learning to rest is a question of trust: Do you trust Jesus to take care of the many things that have you restless and overburdened? Do you believe He can share the load, maybe do an even better job than you can? When your answer is yes, and you operate that way, it will make all the difference.

Start by thinking of three things which keep you from resting today. If you could talk with Jesus over coffee, what would you say about those things? What do you want Him to carry? You may want to write these concerns down or turn them into prayer. Take some time to do that now. Ask Him for the rest only He can give; then remember He's carrying the load with you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: June 20, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 20, 2013
Topic: Salvation, Jesus, Obedience/Discipleship

Faithful Jesus

God called Moses to serve as a leader and priest to His people. He was to speak to them on God's behalf and intercede for them before God. Moses was passionately faithful in his task--even willingly offering himself in place of the people when God wanted to punish them. Sure, he made a few mistakes but God recognized him as one of His most faithful servants. Jesus does the same things Moses did: speaking to people on God's behalf, interceding for them before God--but His faithfulness far outstripped Moses'.

Receive

Hebrews 3:1-6 shows us how Jesus' faithfulness was superior. "Therefore, holy brothers, you who share in a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession, who was faithful to him who appointed him, just as Moses also was faithful in all God's house. For Jesus has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses--as much more glory as the builder of a house has more honor than the house itself. (For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God.) Now Moses was faithful in all God's house as a servant, to testify to the things that were to be spoken later, but Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope" (ESV). Moses was a faithful servant, carrying out God's commands. But Jesus was a faithful Son, fulfilling God's plan.

In what other way was Jesus faithful? He was faithful as the high priest, making the sacrifice for our sins, according to the will of God. "'You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings' (these are offered according to the law), then he added, 'Behold, I have come to do your will.' He abolishes the first in order to establish the second. And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all" (Hebrews 10:8-10, ESV).

Through Jesus' faithfulness to God the Father and doing His will, you and I have salvation and more. He was the faithful priest who not only offered the required sacrifice but was Himself that sacrifice.

Reflect

Moses was not officially a high priest (his brother Aaron was) but he did much of the same work. Read Hebrews 5:1-10. Describe what a priest was to do before God and on behalf of the people.

How did Moses do these things?
    How did Jesus fulfill the same responsibilities?
    What examples do you find of Jesus' faithfulness?
    What do you see Jesus doing on your behalf as your High Priest?

Respond

So, what does this have to do with us now? Well, knowing Jesus was faithful in all He did here on earth gives us confidence that He will continue to be faithful to God and to us today and forever. Read Hebrews 10:1-18 and see what Jesus has already done for us. Then read Hebrews 10:19-25.

How are we to respond to Jesus now?
    What example do we follow in how we approach God?
    How does this influence our actions or fellowship with other Christians?
    What will you do today to be faithful like Jesus is?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: June 21, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 21, 2013
Topic: Sin/Temptation, Jesus, God's Care

The Understanding High Priest

The office of high priest was the highest office of spiritual leadership in Israel. The man who held this office was responsible to bring the people's needs and sins before God, to seek forgiveness and aid, and also to represent God to the people. But even the best priest was a needy sinful man, like those he represented. That made him an imperfect high priest. However, God made provision for that: through Jesus, our perfect High Priest. He is the One who understands our weakness and offers hope.

Receive

Jesus is the High Priest who sympathizes with our needs. He understands what it is to be a frail human being, to wrestle with temptation and suffering. Hebrews 4:15 tells us "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin" (ESV).

And God had a reason for this according to Hebrews 2:17-18: "Therefore he [Jesus] had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted" (ESV).

Because He experienced suffering and temptation as a human, Jesus understands and sympathizes with our pain and suffering. However, He wasn't limited by sinfulness or imperfections like we are, which made Him the perfect High Priest, one overflowing in mercy to the sinner. Hebrews 9:26 also tells us that Jesus was not only our priest but our sacrifice, the one who set us free from sin. "He has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself" (ESV).

Reflect

How does Jesus know what you're going through? He was tempted too. Read Matthew 4:1-11 (or Luke 4:1-13) and see what He faced. Now, the situations may look different but the underlying issue is there. Check these and jot down parallels in your life.

Temptation to seek a quick fix for physical needs (Matthew 4:3):
    Temptation to test God (Matthew 4:6):
    Temptation to worship someone or something other than God to gain power and significance (Matthew 4:9):

Each temptation was Satan's way of giving Jesus a shortcut around God's plan. But Jesus instead held onto the Word of God and submitted to doing God's will God's way. This is especially true in what was probably His last temptation just before He was betrayed (Luke 22:39-46).

What kind of temptations do you wrestle with the most?
    How has God's Word helped you overcome these temptations?
    What effect has temptation had on your walk with God?

Respond

So, what does your battle with temptation have to do with Jesus as your High Priest? Remember, He knows; He sympathizes; and He understands. Look at Hebrews 4:14-15, " Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin" (ESV).

Now add verse 16, "Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need" (ESV). Jesus not only understands, He offers you the mercy you need and the grace to help in time of need. When you struggle, go to your perfect High Priest for real help.

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 130 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the