Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:57:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286766 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible Minute
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 130 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Minute  (Read 297875 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 02:35:40 PM »

Daily Bible Study

Date: Mar 22, 2006

Celebrate Growth

As your children grow, you take photos and create scrapbooks of their accomplishments or video all their sporting events and performances. But do you celebrate your child's spiritual growth and development? These spiritual decisions shape their lives for eternity.

What Does God Say?

Throughout the Bible, God encourages His people to "remember" His works and His faithfulness. One of the best examples comes from the story of Joshua as he led God's people into the Promised Land. Read Joshua 4:1-10 and 4:19-24. What was the reason God had them set up those stones? Check verses 6-7 and 21-22.

These stones of remembrance served an important role. In 1 Samuel 7:12, the prophet Samuel placed a stone as a marker that God had been faithful to this point. If anyone came along with doubts that God was a faithful God, there was the visual aid.

And in Genesis 28:10-22, Jacob's personal encounter with God set the direction for his life so he marked the spot with a stone pillar. We need "stones of remembrance" to show us what God has done for us, things we turn to as reminders that God has led us in our spiritual journey. And what we need as adults, our children also require as they grow up spiritually.

My Thoughts

While we've seen stones of remembrance that reflect God's faithfulness to us, we can do thing to help our children see God at work on their behalf, to remember lessons learned, spiritual battles won, decisions made and service accomplished.

* What have you seen God do in your life that you can point to when your children ask?
    * Have you taken time to talk about these things with your children? If not, set a time today. Maybe as a family, you'll want to raise a "stone of remembrance" at your home as a reminder that "till now the LORD has helped us" (1 Samuel 7:12 ESV).

Your child's spiritual journey begins with their decision to receive Christ as Savior and walk with God. Then watch for things like serving or giving in some way, acts of sacrifice or compassion, answered prayer, a sense of mission or seeking God's direction in decisions, etc.

* Jot down evidence of spiritual growth you've seen in your child or children.
    * When you recognize it, do you talk about it with them?

Ask God to make you sensitive to His work in your child's life. Then help your children recognize it and celebrate it with you. Each child is different, and their spiritual choices or actions will show up in different ways and at various points in life for each one.

My Part

Be creative in celebrating spiritual growth. What you do for the usual milestones can be customized for spiritual milestones: scrapbooks or artwork, a personalized Bible, books, jewelry, special days, notes or cards, etc. Try to avoid turning it into a reward or a "pay-off" they have to earn, but treat it as a reminder, a symbol or an occasion to celebrate because of what they've learned.

Here's one idea to start. When your child makes the decision to receive Christ as their Savior, it's their spiritual "birthday," so why not create a "birth certificate" and frame it? Each year, treat that day as a birthday. Or you could schedule one day a year to celebrate all your family's spiritual birthdays.

Additional Scripture: Deuteronomy 6:1-25

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 06:16:51 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Mar 23, 2006

Do As I Do

A number of years ago the American Heart Association held its annual conference. At the conference 300,000 doctors, nurses and researchers discussed, among other things, the importance a low-fat diet played in keeping hearts healthy. Yet all the while they ate fat-filled fast food--like cheeseburgers and fries--at about the same rate as people from other conventions. When one cardiologist was asked whether his eating high fat meals set a bad example, he replied, "Not me; I take my name tag off."

Unfortunately, when it comes to the time we spend with our family, we can't "take our name tag off." So, the examples we set, whether they are good or bad, directly affect those around us. We find in the Bible one example of a father who took this seriously. His name was Job.

What Does God Say?

"There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was blameless and upright, and one who feared God and shunned evil. And seven sons and three daughters were born to him. Also, his possessions were seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen, five hundred female donkeys, and a very large household, so that this man was the greatest of all the people of the East.

"And his sons would go and feast in their houses, each on his appointed day, and would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. So it was, when the days of feasting had run their course, that Job would send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, 'It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.' Thus Job did regularly" (Job 1:1-5, NKJV).

* Job had many possessions which must have demanded a lot of attention, but what was his primary concern?
    * What did Job do for his children? How consistent was he in doing this?
    * List at least three ways in which Job modeled godly behavior for his children.

My Thoughts

What behavior(s) are you demonstrating for your family that you would like them to follow? Draw a picture of it in the margins (don't worry about your artistic abilities).

Is there a behavior that you would rather your children didn't follow?

My Part

Take the behavior you would rather your family didn't follow and create a plan to rid your life of it. If you need help, talk to your pastor and/or a close friend. Ask them for their prayers and any suggestions to help you overcome this behavior. Make yourself accountable to them for quitting this behavior.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 03:35:59 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll
Date: Mar 24, 2006

Family Laboratory

Wouldn't it be great if everybody was required to take a class called "Relationships 101"? A class with both a lecture and a lab so that you could take notes and learn about various relationships, then head to a lab and put into practice all the knowledge you gleaned.

Well, obviously, life isn't quite that organzied. So, what we learn about relationships, we usually pick up as we go along, starting at a very young age. And, really, there is no greater "laboratory" in which to learn about relationships than your immediate family. God has designed the family to be a "training ground" so to speak for several things in life, including how to get along with people.

What Does God Say?

"And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else" (1 Thessalonians 5:14-15, NIV).

"Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them. Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged" (Colossians 3:18-21, NIV).

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others" (Philippians 2:3-4, NIV).

These verses outline principles for us to use in dealing with other people.

* Is there anything that stands out to you that makes you think, "I need a little work in that area"?
    * Humility is a difficult concept to teach kids. How would you define it for your own children?
    * Why do you think God outlined the roles for family members in the Colossians verses? How is your family doing in regard to those roles?
    * "Make sure that nobody pays back wrong." Again, this can be hard for kids to understand, especially with their siblings. How can you explain or model this concept to your children?

My Thoughts

* Think through the different relationships in your family. Which ones work well? Why?
    * Which relationships could use a little work? What principles from the verses above could you apply?
    * How can you model humility to your children? Kindness? An "others-centered" attitude?
    * If you have children, think about each child individually and evaluate your relationship with him or her. Not everything that "builds" a relationship with one child works well with the others.

My Part

Plan a family night with fun "relationship-building" activities. Play games, cook together (if you have kids, that will help you all work on patience), find ways to create interesting conversations that help everyone "connect" with each other. Life is busy. Setting aside specific time just for family is necessary in order to make sure those relationships are working well.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 05:46:33 AM »

Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Title: The Peaceful Home
Date: Mar 27, 2006
Topic(s): Relationships
Scripture: 1 Corinthians 6:19, Proverbs 21:9, Romans 12:18, 2 Corinthians 6:16, Proverbs 15:17

Violence in the home, even Christian homes, is a growing problem. By even conservative estimates, one million women a year suffer nonfatal violence in their home. An estimated 3.3 million children are exposed to abuse in their family every year.

This is not God's plan for the home. Instead, God's desire is that a home be filled with His love and peace. Consider the verses below to discern what God's Word has to say about strife in the home:

What Does God Say?

"Better is a dinner of herbs where love is,
Than a fatted calf with hatred" (Proverbs 15:17, NKJV).

* Rewrite this verse in your own words.

"Better to dwell in a corner of a housetop,
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman" (Proverbs 21:9, NKJV).

* Look up the word "contentious" in a dictionary, and write the definition below.
    * Are women the only ones who are contentious? Give an example.

My Thoughts

Scripture says, "Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible" (Romans 12:18, NLT). While complete harmony may not be a possibility, what can you do to promote peace in your home? How can you encourage others to be at peace with one another?

My Part

If physical violence is occurring in your home, you need to get to a place of safety immediately. Since your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19; 2 Corinthians 6:16), you cannot permit it to be abused. Whether separation is necessary or not, meet with your pastor or a trained professional in the next week to create a plan to restore harmony in your home.

Additional Scripture: 1 Corinthians 14:33, 2 Corinthians 13:11

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 07:13:41 AM »

"Practicing virtue isn't so much about changing the world around you; it's about changing your heart and mind into effective tools for Christ's glory."

AMEN!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 11:41:35 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Mar 28, 2006
Topic: Salvation

Join the Family

Did you know that God has a family? He does! God has a great big diverse family. And God's family is made up of all races; it's made up of all ethnic backgrounds; it's made up of all kinds of people. But the one thing these people have in common is that they have come to grips with their need for a Savior.

What Does God Say?

The Bible teaches us how to respond once we realize we need a Savior.

"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'" (John 14:6, NIV).

"Yet to all who received him [Jesus], to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God" (John 1:12-13, NIV).

? How many ways can you come to the Father?

? What does it take to become "children of God"?

My Thoughts

Have you come to the point in your life where you've trusted Jesus to forgive everything you've done wrong? If you've done that, welcome to the family. But if you haven't done that, there's no better time than right now to do it.

How do you do that? You might want to use the following prayer as a guide. Don't worry too much about the wording. God hears the prayer of your heart.

Dear God, I know that I have sinned. I confess my sin to You right now. Believing that Jesus' death on the cross pays the penalty for all my sin, I ask You to forgive my sins, send Jesus into my life and make me a part of Your forever family. Thank You for hearing my prayer, for loving me and making me a part of Your family. I commit my life from this point on to, as best I can, pleasing Jesus all the rest of my life.

My Part

What's next? Here are a few suggestions:

* Thank God for your new relationship with Him.
    * Share with someone about your new faith in Christ.

Go to our Web site for more information and resources about what to do as a new Christian.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 04:06:37 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Mar 29, 2006

Putting God First in the Family

There are a lot of things that will come up to interfere with your family's devotional time--especially when you first begin. The phone will ring, people will come to your door, a must-see television program will move to that time slot--everything will try to disrupt the time set aside for your family and your Lord.

Until you get a habit established, God's Word gives you a verse to cling to through all those attempted interruptions. Let's see what it is.

What Does God Say?

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you" (Matthew 6:33, NKJV).

* If we understand a kingdom to be the place where a king rules, how can we "seek first the kingdom of God" in our lives?
    * How do we seek God's righteousness?
    * How do we demonstrate that these are "first" in our lives?

My Thoughts

If someone important (a famous sports figure, movie star or politician) were coming to visit, how would you feel about the time he or she would be spending with you? What steps would you take to safeguard that time from interruptions?

My Part

Get together with your family to discuss the priority level that God would place on your devotional time together. Make a list of things that might compete with this time, and, as a family, come up with practical ways to deal with these interruptions.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2006, 12:33:10 AM »

Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Title: Family Time
Date: Mar 30, 2006
Topic(s): Christian Living/Situational
Scripture: Deuteronomy 4:9, Deuteronomy 6:6-7

School's out at 3:30…dance class starts at 4:15…drive through for dinner, then get to the soccer game by 6:00. The school concert starts at 7:00, homework (finally) begins at 8:30, then "instant message" quickly, brush teeth and get to bed by 10:00.

Does this kind of schedule strike a chord with you? Maybe even make you break out in a cold sweat because you can relate to it…or just make you tired looking at all the demands?

This is how many people live life--running from one thing to another, then sinking into bed, exhausted at the end of the day from all the chaos.

So, where does God fit into all of this?

What Does God Say?

Regardless of how high-tech and self-sufficient we've become, the truth remains the same: God expects us to teach our kids about Him.

"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them" (Deuteronomy 4:9, NIV).

"These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up" (Deuteronomy 6:6-7, NIV).

* How can you be sure you actually have something to teach your kids?
    * What are you to do first before you pass on what you know about God?
    * When are you supposed to teach your kids?
    * What can hinder you from teaching your children?

My Thoughts

Think about this past week. Has there been a situation with your children where you had a "teachable" moment? Teaching kids about God doesn't have to be contrived or forced. Enough stuff happens in the course of a week that allows you to naturally bring God into the conversations and problem-solving moments you have with your kids.

* How deliberate are you about teaching your kids about God and His Word?
    * What could you do differently to take advantage of "teachable moments"?
    * How can you develop an awareness for natural opportunities to teach kids biblical truths?

My Part

This week, keep a journal and write about the opportunities you have to teach your kids about God or the Bible throughout the course of your day. Keep track of those teachable moments. As you record them, look for further opportunities to talk to your children about God and His Word.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2006, 12:34:49 AM »

Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Title: Educating the Family
Date: Mar 31, 2006
Topic(s): Christian Living/Situational
Scripture: Psalm 78:5-7

Someone has said that the Christian faith is always only one generation away from extinction. Each generation has to be taught anew the truths of God's Word. And this begins in the family.

Look at what the Bible says about this responsibility and privilege.

What Does God Say?

"For he issued his decree to Jacob;
he gave his law to Israel.
He commanded our ancestors
to teach them to their children,
so the next generation might know them--
even the children not yet born--
that they in turn might teach their children.
So each generation can set its hope anew on God,
remembering his glorious miracles
and obeying his commands" (Psalm 78:5-7, NLT).

* According to these verses, is teaching your family about God an option or a requirement? How do you know that?
    * How does this affect future generations?
    * What are the three outcomes that take place when you are faithful to this task?

My Thoughts

How faithful are you in teaching your children about God's expectations and requirements? If you are the husband/father of the family, what can you do to become a better spiritual guide? If you are the wife, how can you encourage your husband to take up this responsibility? If you are a single parent, be willing to fill whatever role is needed to accomplish the task.

My Part

If you are not teaching your family God's Word, set a time to begin this week. Visit your local Christian bookstore for material that may help you accomplish this responsibility.

Additional Scripture: Proverbs 1:8; Exodus 12:26-27; Deuteronomy 31:9-13

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2006, 05:11:13 AM »

Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Title: Discipline in Love
Date: Apr 3, 2006
Topic(s): Discipline
Scripture: Proverbs 13:24, Hebrews 12:6-11

Becoming a parent is an incredible experience. Holding your baby for the first time brings a flood of emotions that make you think, I had no idea I could love somebody this much.

And loving that child, at first, is usually pretty easy. Babies are high-maintenance, yeah--but they don't get sassy when you tell them to do something, they don't disobey and they don't cop an attitude when you try to correct them.

That stuff all happens later--when they grow up and discover their independence--and their own will.

Loving your children eventually means more than giving them food and a bath every day. It means dealing with the tough stuff--the bad attitudes, the disobedience, the tendency to push the limits. It means correcting them when they're wrong so they learn what is right.

Loving your kids requires discipline.

What Does God Say?

"If you refuse to discipline your children, it proves you don't love them; if you love your children, you will be prompt to discipline them" (Proverbs 13:24, NLT).

"'For the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes those he accepts as his children.' As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children. Whoever heard of a child who was never disciplined?" (Hebrews 12:6-7, NLT).

"No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening--it is painful! But afterward there will be a quiet harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way" (Hebrews 12:11, NLT).

* Why would loving your kids prompt you to discipline them?
    * What does discipline accomplish?
    * What could happen if discipline is not part of loving your children?
    * What keeps parents from disciplining their children?
    * Why does God "discipline and punish" His children?

My Thoughts

If you're a parent, think about the last time you had to correct or discipline your child.

* What did you do? How did your child respond?
    * What do you want discipline to accomplish in your child's life?

Now, think about your relationship with God.

* What can you learn from the way God has disciplined you? How can God's correction or discipline in your life make you a better parent?
    * How have you changed as a result of God's discipline in your life?

My Part

If you're a parent, think about your children. What works for disciplining one child may not work for another. Write down what you think is "effective discipline" for each of your children. Time out? Taking away privileges? Spanking? Grounding? Each child will respond differently to each type of discipline. Your job as a parent is to be a "student" of your children, to figure out how to love them individually--which means disciplining them individually.

If you're not a parent, think about your relationship with your Heavenly Father. Is there an area in your life where God is correcting you? Write down what you're learning if you're dealing with discipline from God right now.

Additional Scripture: Proverbs 10:17, 12:1, 13:1, 22:15

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 12:06:06 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Apr 5, 2006
Topic: Christian Living/Situational

Wait for Control

When it comes to discipline in our home, one good rule of thumb is to always remember who is the parent (adult) and who is the child (immature, childish, just a kid) and to act accordingly. That means the parent is committed to keeping his head (his cool) and his emotions under control. That does not mean that you do not show your displeasure, but that it is directed toward the action and not toward the person of the child. How do you find the balance between discipline under control and punishment from an angry parent? The Bible gives us some guidance.

What Does God Say?

"Don't fail to correct your children. They won't die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death" (Proverbs 23:13-14, NLT).

"Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged" (Colossians 3:21, NIV).

"Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4, NIV).

* What are the main lessons in these verses?
    * What do they teach us about how to discipline?

My Thoughts

Summarize your understanding of what God expects of you, and what your children need in you to become a parent controlled not by emotions but by the Lord.

My Part

Pray now that God would enable you to be the parent He intends for you to be; and pray that God would enable your children to grow up knowing they are loved by God and by you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2006, 06:47:37 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll
Date: Apr 6, 2006
Topic: Discipline

Keeping Your Balance

If you've ever tried to walk a tightrope, you know how difficult it is to keep your balance. It's just about equally difficult to keep your balance when disciplining. Human nature tends to want to either go too easy or too harsh.

When the apostle Paul wrote his first letter to the Christians at Corinth, he rebuked them for failing to discipline one of their members who was living in an intimate relationship with his father's wife. The believers at Corinth took the rebuke to heart and dealt with the issue--but apparently too harshly. Paul then writes again to bring them back to a balanced position.

What Does God Say?

Paul writes: "I am not overstating it when I say that the man who caused all the trouble hurt your entire church more than he hurt me. He was punished enough when most of you were united in your judgment against him. Now it is time to forgive him and comfort him. Otherwise he may become so discouraged that he won't be able to recover. Now show him that you still love him" (2 Corinthians 2:5-8, NLT).

* What is the purpose of the discipline exercised by the local church?
    * How is the church to respond to those who turn from their sin?
    * If handled incorrectly, what might happen to the one being disciplined?

My Thoughts

When you discipline in your family, to which extreme are you most prone? What are the dangers associated with your approach to discipline?

My Part

Set down with your spouse this week and determine a balanced discipline response for the most common problems in your home. Also discuss how you can demonstrate forgiveness and comfort when the discipline has done its job.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2006, 06:49:09 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll
Date: Apr 7, 2006

A Dual Approach

For many years I owned the type of lawnmower that you had to mix the oil and gas together before it would run right. A family also runs best when physical discipline is accompanied with spoken words of explanation, rebuke and even love.

The Bible calls this the "rod and reproof" approach. The word "reproof" can mean to "reason" or even "defend." Let's see how this works out in practical application according to God's Word.

What Does God Say?

"The rod and reproof give wisdom,
But a child who gets his own way brings shame to his mother" (Proverbs 29:15, ).

* What happens when we use the "dual" approach? How would you define this result?
    * What happens when this approach is not taken?

Why do you think that "mother" is specified here rather than "father" or both parents?

My Thoughts

Some parents take the "rod" only approach. What do you think the results would be from the child's perspective? Others want to resort to "reason" alone. Why might this not work the best?

My Part

As you are required to discipline this week, make it a point to explain to your child why discipline is needed. After discipline has been administered, give the child love. Work out a plan with your child to avoid this situation so that future discipline will not be needed.

Additional Scripture: Proverbs 10:13, 13:24

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2006, 04:12:33 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Apr 10, 2006

Discipline with Grace

Let's face it, we need discipline in our lives and with our children because there's a problem: the problem is our sin nature, our natural pride, willful selfishness and disobedience. God disciplines us so we can become more holy and righteous like Him. He also gives us grace because He is love, and He knows the extent of our sin. Grace is a necessary part of discipline. It's not an "either/or" but a "both/and" for us and for our children.

What Does God Say?

To begin with, discipline is rooted in love. Proverbs 3:11-12 offers these instructions: "My child, don't ignore it when the LORD disciplines you, and don't be discouraged when he corrects you. For the LORD corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights" (NLT).

God corrects us out of love, and because of His love, He offered us the greatest grace in Jesus Christ who rescued us from eternal punishment (see Romans 5:8-11). Discipline isn't all about punishment; it includes instruction and correction. It reinforces what is right and reminds us of what's wrong.

Combined with grace, discipline helps us correct our mistakes and enjoy a second chance (or a third, a seventh or a 71st chance); we don't get thrown out of the family for our mistakes. Yet in grace, a child may need to be disciplined for today's actions so they learn the lesson and avoid worse punishment later. Proverbs 23:13-18 reminds us that discipline now will have its own rewards later.

My Thoughts

Describe a time in your life when you were disciplined.

* Was grace a part of the process?
    * If so, what was it like to be shown grace?
    * If you weren't shown grace at that time, do you think it would have helped?

Now describe a situation in your family where discipline was required.

* Was grace offered as well?
    * Would the outcome have changed if grace had followed up the discipline?

My Part

Go back and read Romans 5:1-11. List a few of the things that God has done for you because of His grace. Then ask God to help you to make it part of your life to demonstrate His grace to others.

This week, memorize Proverbs 23:15-18 with your children to help them understand the importance of discipline and why it's to their advantage.

Additional Scripture: Romans 5:8-11; Proverbs 22:15

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2006, 04:13:57 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Apr 11, 2006

Grace in Discipline

Correcting and disciplining your children can be a challenge. You want them to learn right from wrong--and that there are consequences to bad choices. But the fact is, they're kids. They're in the process of growing and maturing, and mistakes are inevitable. So, finding the fine line between correcting them and granting them grace can be tricky.

Think about how you want others--or God--to deal with you. Sometimes you need grace--you need someone to just "cut you some slack" at a point where correction or rebuke would just discourage you.

Your kids are the same. Sometimes they do need strict discipline; other times they may need you to extend them some grace.

Grace in discipline is essential.

What Does God Say?

"A youngster's heart is filled with foolishness, but discipline will drive it away" (Proverbs 22:15, NLT).

"For these commands and this teaching are a lamp to light the way ahead of you. The correction of discipline is the way to life" (Proverbs 6:23, NLT).

"Fathers, don't aggravate your children. If you do, they will become discouraged and quit trying" (Colossians 3:21, NLT).

"And now a word to you fathers. Don't make your children angry by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction approved by the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4, NLT).

* Why is discipline important in a child's life? Why is grace necessary as well?
    * What might parents do that would aggravate their child? That would discourage him?
    * How is the "correction of discipline" the way to life?

My Thoughts

* What would it look like for you to have grace in discipline?
    * Do you tend to be too hard on your kids--or too soft?
    * What could you do to find a balance between showing your kids grace and correcting them when they need it?
    * Define grace. Now think about this: How does grace show up in your relationship with your children? How do you model grace for them?

My Part

Parents, make a date with each of your kids over the course of the next few weeks. Use that time to show them grace. Maybe there are issues of correction you need to deal with as well--but don't make them the focus of your time together. Deal with correction, then move on. Build them up, make them know you're proud of who they are and who they're becoming. Talk to them about how God's gifted them, what their strengths are, what they're good at. And let them know you love them no matter what, unconditionally--just as God loves you.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 130 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the