Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:04:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356172 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4455 on: February 04, 2019, 05:27:12 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

Challenging gems from Tozer!

Among the plastic saints of our times--Jesus has to do all the dying.
All we want is to hear another sermon about His dying!

~  ~  ~  ~

It is no longer either dangerous or costly to be a Christian!

~  ~  ~  ~

Some Christians have taken all the justice, judgment and hatred of sin out of the nature of God--and have nothing left but a soft god.

~  ~  ~  ~

Let us start reading our Bibles with the thought that God means exactly what He says!

~  ~  ~  ~

The most godly Christian is the one who knows himself best.
No one who knows himself, will believe that he deserves anything better than Hell.

~  ~  ~  ~

Anyone who wishes to check on his true spiritual condition may do so, by noting what his voluntary thoughts have been over the last hours or days.

~  ~  ~  ~

We have learned to live with unholiness in our churches, and have come to look upon it as the natural and expected thing.

~  ~  ~  ~

I would rather stand alone and have everybody as my enemy--than to go along with the crowd to Hell!

~  ~  ~  ~

Everywhere among professors we find people who are Bible-taught, but not Spirit-taught.
They grasp the truth with the mind, not the heart.

~  ~  ~  ~

Many professing Christians are caught up with the toys of contemporary society.
They may be going to Hell, but it is going to be a comfortable ride for them.

~  ~  ~  ~

Christians don't tell lies--they just go to church and sing them!

~  ~  ~  ~

Saving faith is irrevocable, total commitment to the Lord Jesus Christ Himself!

~  ~  ~  ~

Most Christians would be better pleased, if the Lord did not inquire into their personal affairs too closely. They want Him to save them, keep them happy and take them to Heaven at last--but not to be too inquisitive about their desires or daily conduct.

~  ~  ~  ~

The church has failed, by living too much like the world!

~  ~  ~  ~

The difficulty we modern Christians face, is not misunderstanding the Bible--but persuading our worldly hearts to accept its plain instructions!

~  ~  ~  ~

We must do something about the cross, and only one of two things we can do--flee it or die upon it.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: February 06, 2019, 05:58:37 PM »

'Tom Thumbs' in grace!

(Charles Spurgeon, "Flowers from a Puritan's Garden" 1883)

"Though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's Word all over again. You need milk, not solid food!" Hebrews 5:12

"An infant, if he should continue an infant always, would be a monster!"

However pleased the parents had been with the little one when it was a babe, they would soon be deeply distressed if year after year it still remained a tiny thing. Indeed, they would consider it a great calamity to be the parents of a dwarf.

What, then, shall we say of those professors who never grow? They are no more holy after fifty years! They are infants at sixty years of age!

I have in my house, pictures of my twin sons, taken on their birthdays for twenty-one years. They begin in the cradle, and end as full-grown young men.

But, alas, I have spiritual children whom I wheeled about in the stroller twenty years ago--and they are babies still, needing as much care as ever, and are not able to walk alone! Ah me, that so many who ought to be warriors, are weaklings; that those who should be men of six feet tall, are so stunted as to be mere 'Tom Thumbs' in grace!

O for grace to grow in grace, and especially in the knowledge of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. God save us from a life which does not grow, and from a growth which is not healthy!

"For this very reason, make every effort to add . . .
  to your faith, goodness;
  and to goodness, knowledge;
  and to knowledge, self-control;
  and to self-control, perseverance;
  and to perseverance, godliness." 2 Peter 1:5-6

"Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation!" 1 Peter 2:2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: February 07, 2019, 12:47:56 PM »

Look up!

(James Smith, "A New Year's Motto" 1865)

"Look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near!" Luke 21:28

We are entering upon a new year, we shall have . . .
  new toils,
  new trials,
  new temptations,
  new troubles.

In whatever state, in whatever place, into whatever condition we may be brought this year--let us seek grace to follow our Lord's loving advice, and "look up!"

Do not look back--as Lot's wife did.

Do not look within--as too many do.

Do not look around--as David did.

But "look up!" Look up to God--He is your Father, your Friend, your Savior. He can help you. He will help you. He says, "Look unto Me, and be delivered--for I am God!"

Look up for light to guide you--and He will direct your path.

Look up for grace to sanctify you--and the grace of Jesus will be found sufficient for you.

Look up for strength to enable you to do and suffer God's will--and His strength will be made perfect in your weakness.

Look up for comfort to cheer you--and as one whom his mother comforts, so will the Lord comfort you.

Look up for courage to embolden you--and the Lord will give courage to the faint; and to those who have no might--He will increase strength.

Look up for endurance to keep you--and the God who preserves you will enable you quietly to bear the heaviest burden, and silently to endure the most painful affliction.

Look up for providence to supply you--and the jar of flour will not be used up, and the jug of oil will not run dry; but God shall supply all your needs, according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

Look up in faith--exercising confidence in the Word of a faithful God.

Look up in prayer--asking for what God has graciously promised.

Look up in hope--expecting what you ask in the name of Jesus.

Look up with adoration--and adore the sovereignty, righteousness, and wisdom of God.

Look up constantly--let nothing daunt or discourage you! Rather say, "Our eyes are on the Lord our God--until He shows us mercy."

Look up--for this will keep . . .
  your head from swimming,
  your heart from sinking,
  your knees from trembling,
  your feet from slipping, and
  your hands from hanging down!

It is impossible to say what will happen to us, or what will be required of us this year--but "Look up!" This direction, if properly attended to, will . . .
  procure for us all that we need,
  secure us against all that we dread, and
  make us more than a match for all our foes and fears!

Fellow-Christian, are you fearful? "Look up" and hear Jesus saying to you, "Do not be afraid--I Myself will help you!"

Are you discouraged? "Look up"--and your youth shall be renewed like the eagle's, and fresh light, comfort, and courage shall be given to you!

Are you desponding? "Look up" for Jesus never breaks the bruised reed, nor quenches the smoking flax.

Do not look too much at your sin--but look at the infinitely meritorious blood of God's dear Son!

Do not look too much at self--but look at Jesus, who ever lives to make intercession for you in Heaven.

Are you stripped of your comforts, your props, and your goods? Then look up! He who stripped you--loves you! He will be more than all of these to you! He will . . .
  bind up your broken heart,
  calm your discouraged spirit,
  cheer your drooping mind, and
  fill you with His own peace and happiness.

Look up . . .
  for all that you need;
  from all that you fear;
  through all that would obstruct your way.

Look up every day, saying with David, "In the morning, O Lord, You hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before You, and will look up!" Psalm 5:3

Look up in every trial, saying "I will lift up my eyes unto the hills, from whence comes my help! My help comes from the Lord, who made Heaven and earth!"

Do not look at your sin--it will discourage you!

Do not look at your self--it will distress you!

Do not look at Satan--he will bewilder you!

Do not look to men--they will deceive, or disappoint you!

Do not look at your trials--they will deject you!

"Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us--looking unto Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith!" Hebrews 12:1-2

Look only, look always, look intently--to Jesus!

Run looking, work looking, fight looking, suffer looking, live looking, and die looking--to Jesus, who is at God's right hand in glory!

Oh, look, look, look to Jesus!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: February 08, 2019, 04:46:44 PM »

An almighty Watcher, a sleepless Guardian, a faithful Friend!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"You shall not be afraid of the terror by night!" Psalm 91:5

What is this terror? It might be the cry of fire, or the noise of thieves, or the shriek of sudden death!

We live in the world of death and sorrow. This should not alarm us, for be the terror what it may--the promise is that the believer shall not be afraid.

Why should he? God our Father is here--and will be here all through the lonely hours. He is an almighty Watcher, a sleepless Guardian, a faithful Friend!

Nothing can happen without His direction, for even Hell itself is under His omnipotent control. Darkness is not dark to Him. He has promised to be a wall of fire around His people--and who can break through such a barrier?

Worldlings might well be afraid, for they have . . .
  an angry God above them,
  a guilty conscience within them,
  and a yawning Hell beneath them!

But we who rest in Jesus are saved from all these, through His rich mercy.

"Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you.
 I have called you by name; you are Mine!
 When you go through deep waters, I will be with you.
 When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.
 When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up.
 For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior!" Isaiah 43:1-3

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: February 09, 2019, 04:34:24 PM »

But for this one day of life, which is already half over!

(Charles Spurgeon, "Flowers from a Puritan's Garden" 1883)

"If a man might own a humble cottage for a hundred years--he would prize it much more than the possession of a palace for a day!"

Of course he would! This is what adds so much preciousness to the joys of Heaven--for they are eternal! The fleeting pleasures of this world, however bright they seem--are but for this one day of life, which is already half over! If they were all they profess to be, and a thousand times more--they would not be worthy to be mentioned in comparison with "eternal pleasures" at God's right hand!

O You who fill eternity, impress me with the solemn import of Your Word, and let me feel that all time's fleeting cares and caresses are as dreams; while the things of eternity alone have substance in them. "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal!" 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

"And so we will be with the Lord forever!" 1 Thessalonians 4:17

"And they will reign for ever and ever!" Revelation 22:5

"I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far!" Philippians 1:23

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: February 10, 2019, 04:04:13 PM »

The ten-cent-store Jesus!

(A.W. Tozer)

"His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In His right hand He held seven stars, and out of His mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance!" Revelation 1:14-16

Unfortunately, the ten-cent-store Jesus being preached now by many--is not the Jesus that will come to judge the world.

This harmless, plastic, painted Jesus who has no spine, nor justice, nor wrath--but is a soft and pliant friend to everybody;  if He is the only Christ, then we might as well close our Bibles, bar our doors and make a bakery or garage out of our church buildings!

The popular Christ being preached today--is not the Christ of the Bible, nor the Christ who will be our final Judge.

Jesus Christ our Lord, the Judge with the flaming eyes--is the one with whom we must deal. We cannot escape it.

"Then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty, and every slave and every free man hid in caves and among the rocks of the mountains. They called to the mountains and the rocks: Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! For the great day of their wrath has come, and who can stand?" Revelation 6:15-17

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: February 11, 2019, 04:52:01 PM »

We need the teaching of the Great Expositor!

("Every Day!" Author unknown, 1872)

"Lead me in Your truth--and teach me!" Psalm 25:5

What a mercy it is, in the midst of prevailing errors, to possess the truth of God--the sure word of His testimony--the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make us wise unto salvation through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. May we read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest the truth--that we may find it profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and instruction in righteousness.

Too frequently the Word of God is read with little profit, because it is read with little prayer. We need Divine illumination! We need the teaching of the Great Expositor, in order rightly to understand the Word of God, and to receive it in the love of it.

May the prayer of the psalmist be my prayer: "Lead me in Your truth--and teach me!"

Lead me into the knowledge and experience of it--let it dwell in my heart, and influence my life.

Lead me into the enjoyment of it--may I find Your Word, and eat it; may it be sweet to my taste, yes, sweeter than honey--than honey from the comb.

And lead me into the practice of it--may my ways be directed to keep Your statutes, and may I be a living epistle, read and known by all men.

May Your Word come to me with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction!

"When He, the Spirit of truth, comes--He will guide you into all truth." John 16:13

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: February 12, 2019, 02:17:26 PM »

This is the knife which cut the throat of your dear child!

(Jeremiah Burroughs)

If I do indeed believe that my sin has cost the blood of Christ--then certainly my sin is a dreadful evil.

Oh, let me never have to do with such sin as was the cause of such sufferings to my Savior--which shed His precious blood.

If you saw the knife that had cut the throat of your dearest child, would not your heart rise against that knife?

Suppose you come to dine, and there is a knife laid by your plate, and it was told to you that this is the knife which cut the throat of your dear child--could use that knife to eat your dinner?

Oh with what detestation would you fling away such a knife!

And with the like detestation it is required that you should renounce sin--for your sin was the cause of the death of Christ!

So when a temptation comes to sin--you must think, "This is the knife . . .
  which cut the throat of Christ,
  which pierced His side,
  which was the cause of all His sufferings,
  which made Christ to be a curse!"

Now you will look upon your sin as a cursed thing, which made Christ to be a curse!

"A bleeding Savior I have viewed,
 And now, I hate my sin!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: February 15, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »

The great cement of society!

(Samuel Miller, "The Guilt, Folly, and Sources of Suicide" 1805)

Wedded love is the source of rich and extensive benefits to mankind. Constituted by our all-wise Creator as the great cement of society, it sheds numberless blessings on our sinful world. It lays the foundation of domestic union, peace, and happiness. It creates the tenderest relations. It gives rise to the purest affections, and binds those who partake of its comforts by the strongest and most interesting ties. It elevates the character of the individual, by nourishing some of the noblest virtues. It extends at once our enjoyments and our usefulness, by multiplying our interests, our cares, and our hopes. Marriage does more to soften the heart, to cultivate social affection, to promote humanity, sympathy, and kindness, and to unite and harmonize society--than a volume would be sufficient to display.

But that passion which, when held in subjection to the law of God, is productive of such blessed effects--is no sooner given up to the depraved and capricious will of man, than it pours on society evils countless in number, and immeasurable in extent. However lightly the indulgence of sexual immorality may be regarded by the worldly and the licentious--there is scarcely any species of sin which more certainly and unavoidably gives rise to an enormous mass of depravity and misery. Sexual immorality . . .
  corrupts the whole moral character;
  pollutes the imagination;
  hardens the heart;
  nourishes selfishness, falsehood, baseness, and the tyranny of flesh;
  perpetuates disease;
  destroys the peace of families;
  vitiates and convulses the social system;
  degrades the reputation;
  bankrupts the finances of its votaries;
  entails infamy and misery on posterity;
  and brings multitudes to untimely graves.

By the indulgence of sexual immorality, who can tell . . .
  how many marital relationships have been violated;
  how many fair prospects have been blasted;
  how many promising and endearing hopes have been withered;
  how many consciences have been wrecked;
  how many bosoms, once the seats of virtue and peace--have been converted into the residence of shame, remorse, and despair!
Great Searcher of hearts--You alone know!

These mischiefs fall with peculiar weight on the tender gender. It is true, the vile seducer himself is often brought into disgrace and suffering by his sin, and sometimes sunk into the deepest infamy and woe. But this is more frequently the portion of her who criminally yields to his seductive arts.

Could we trace the sorry history of those wretched females who become the prey of ungoverned passion, what a series of melancholy pictures would be presented to our view! We would behold some anticipating the approach of disgrace and, in the tumult of grief and despondency, destroying their own lives by self-murder. We would see others passing through successive scenes of prostitution, disease, poverty, abandonment, and complicated misery--to an end more degrading and more dreadful than language can describe! We would contemplate a third class living only to deceive and corrupt the innocent, and dragging many an unsuspecting victim into the same gulf of vice and eternal perdition!

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God!" 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

"Flee from sexual immorality!" 1 Corinthians 6:18

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: February 16, 2019, 04:18:18 PM »

Christianity is just the jolliest thing imaginable!

(A.W. Tozer)

Professing Christians think of the world not as a battleground, but as a playground!
We are not here to fight--we are here to frolic!
We are not in a foreign land--we are at home.
We try to rid ourselves of our inhibitions and our frustrations, and live this life to the full.

This, we believe, is a fair summary of the religious philosophy of modern professors, openly professed by millions, and tacitly held by many more millions who live out that philosophy without having given it verbal expression.

The idea that this world is a playground instead of a battleground, has now been accepted in practice by the vast majority of professing Christians. They might hedge around the question if they were asked bluntly to declare their position, but their conduct gives them away. They are facing both ways, enjoying Christ and the world, gleefully telling everyone that accepting Jesus does not require them to give up their fun--Christianity is just the jolliest thing imaginable!

The "worship" growing out of such a view of life, is as far off center as the view itself--a sort of sanctified nightclub without the champagne and the dressed-up drunks.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: February 17, 2019, 03:53:54 PM »

Dust you are and to dust you will return!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return." Genesis 3:19

"All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return!" Ecclesiastes 3:20

Augustine used to say he did not know whether to call it a dying life--or a living death. I leave the choice between those two expressions to you.

This is certainly a dying life--its march is marked by graves.

Nothing but a continuous miracle keeps any one of us from the sepulcher!

Were omnipotence to stay its power but for a moment--we would return to our native dust.

It is a dying life--and it is equally true that it is a living death.
We are always dying.
Every beating pulse we count, leaves but the number less.
The more years we count in our life--the fewer remain.

Are you afraid of dying? Oh! never be afraid of that--be afraid of living.
Living is the only thing which can do any harm--dying can never hurt a Christian.

Christian! You are nearer your eternal home than you thought you were--and every moment you are getting nearer still!

Oh, it would be indeed horrible if we could not die!
Who wants to be chained to this poor life for centuries?

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."

"I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: February 18, 2019, 05:23:54 PM »

I have this against you!

(Archibald Alexander, "Returning to Our First Love")

"Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love." Revelation 2:4

Declensions in vital piety are owing to a variety of causes, internal and external.
The whole, however, may be attributed to . . .
  the temptations of Satan,
  the allurements of the world, and
  the inbred corruptions of the heart.

Such declensions are very commonly produced by too much interaction with a careless, money-loving, pleasure-seeking world. Vital religion is a delicate plant, and being surrounded by many unfavorable circumstances, is liable to receive injury from contact with a polluted world. Worldly company and too much occupation in secular affairs, are almost sure to deaden our pious affections and to disqualify us for spiritual exercises.

He who is clothed in white and clean garments, will find it difficult to avoid contracting spots which deform and defile his robes, when he is obliged to live in a filthy house.

It is hard to pursue the world just as far as duty calls--and then to stop. When the efforts to acquire money or property are successful, a pleasure is naturally experienced in the acquisition of such things. After a while, an undue love of the world is apt to be generated insensibly--and the evil creeps in insidiously.

But the undue love of the world, whether of its riches, its honors, or its pleasures--will soon injuriously influence the love of the soul to its Savior. The thoughts are too much drawn off from the contemplation of divine things, and the relish for spiritual duties and enjoyments is insensibly diminished. The duties of the prayer closet are no longer anticipated with delight; and the hours consecrated to private devotion, which used to be the most pleasant in the whole day, do not now afford the same comfort as formerly. The lack of enjoyment in pious duties, the wandering thoughts in the midst of them, and the lack of lively feeling--naturally tend to produce a backwardness to engage in them; so that were not the person forced, as it were, by conscience to enter his closet, he would often omit the duty altogether.

The most common means of restoring backsliders, is God's rod of affliction. The reason why God scourges every son who He receives, is that all have faults and imperfections, which a kind Father aims to correct by the use of the rod.

By affliction, the vanity of the world is seen--and the infatuation produced by the love of the world is broken. The backslider is filled with sorrow for having departed from the fountain of living water, and is driven to seek refuge and comfort in the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: February 19, 2019, 04:44:29 PM »

There are so many lean Christians who devour hundreds of sermons!

(Edmund Calamy, 1600–1666)

"His delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law he meditates day and night." Psalm 1:2

"I meditate on Your precepts and consider Your ways." Psalm 119:15

It is not merely hearing a sermon that does you good, but meditating on what you hear. So when you hear a sermon, if you do not meditate and ponder upon what you hear, you will never get any good.

There are so many lean Christians who devour hundreds of sermons--and are never any better, never any fatter in grace. They never meditate, ponder and consider what they hear--that is the reason why they are so lean in grace.

Pray unto God to enlighten your understandings, to quicken your devotion, to warm your affections--that by meditation on holy things . . .
  you may be made more holy,
  you may have your lusts more mortified,
  you may have your graces more increased,
  you may better behold the vanity of the world,
  you may lifted up to Heaven and eternal realities.

"Meditate upon these things." 1 Timothy 4:15

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: February 21, 2019, 04:53:34 PM »

Sin is . . .

("The Lamb of God!" James Hamilton, 1814-1867)

"Is not your wickedness great? Are not your sins endless?" Job 22:5

Man is made up of divers lusts and passions! Pride, ambition, envy, vanity, resentment, anger, covetousness, immorality, cruelty--these and many evil appetites and emotions besides, flow through all his nature in fierce and malignant currents, and are his very being's poisoned blood and fevered pulse! They break out . . .
  in oaths and curses,
  in fightings and violence,
  in debauchery and orgy;
  in spoken falsehood and acted lies,
  in words of lewdness and deeds of shame!

Sin is . . .
  earth's great burden,
  humanity's deforming blot,
  the enemy of God,
  the transgressor of His law,
  the great soul-poison and heart-plague,
  the only thing which really defiles man,
  pollution, misery, guilt,
  incipient Hell,
  the only thing to which we can give, in its fullest sense, the emphatic name of evil.

Jesus could not look on sin without abhorrence. The sight of that cursed thing which had insulted His heavenly Father and filled a happy world with woe and horror, kindled His zeal and revenge; and while the Lamb's gentleness encouraged the sinner, the Lion's fury still flashed upon the sin.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord!" Romans 6:23

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: February 21, 2019, 04:55:13 PM »

The greatness of the sin of gluttony!

(Richard Baxter, "Directions against Gluttony")

1. Gluttony is a sin exceedingly contrary to the love of God--it is idolatry!
What an odious, swinish, damning sin it is--for a man's heart to be set upon his belly!

2. Gluttony is self-murder! Though it does not kill suddenly--it kills surely!

3. Gluttony is a deadly enemy to the mind, and to all the noble employments of reason.

4. Gluttony dulls the body as well as the mind. It makes men heavy, and drowsy and slothful.

5. Gluttony is the immediate effect of a carnal mind, and of the damnable sin of flesh-pleasing.

6. Gluttony is the breeder and feeder of all other lusts.

7. Gluttony is a base and beastly kind of sin.

8. Gluttony is a wasteful consumer and devourer of the creatures of God.

9. Gluttony is a most unthankful sin--it takes God's mercies, and spews them as it were in His face!

10. Gluttony is a sin which turns your own mercies, and wealth, and food--into your snare and deadly ruin. You please your throat--and poison your soul!

11. Gluttony is a thief that robs you of your estates, and devours that which is given you for better uses, and for which you must give account to God.

12. Gluttony is a sin so much the greater--by how much the more delight you have in the committing of it. The sweetest, most voluntary and beloved sin--is the greatest sin. Few sins are more pleasant and beloved than gluttony.

13. Gluttony is the greater sin, because it is so frequently committed. Men live in it as their daily practice and delight. They live for it, and make it the end of other sins. Being turned into beasts--they live like beasts continually!

Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the