Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:02:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356217 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: March 26, 2018, 04:43:57 PM »

http://www.gracegems.org/19/literature.htm

The temptation, and the opportunity

The following in an excerpt from the autobiography of James Smith:

I have just heard that an old friend, far advanced in life, has fallen into sin! May the Lord pardon and restore him.

In looking back, I wonder that I have not publicly fallen; for I have been powerfully tempted to other sins, equally as bad. I have regularly observed, that in my experience the Lord has not often allowed the temptation, and the opportunity--to meet! And when they have, fear has worked powerfully and kept me back.

"But as for me--my feet were almost gone! My steps had well near slipped!" Psalm 73:2

Ah, how frequently have I been almost gone! I can call to mind places and times, when I have been in the very mouth of danger, on the brink of a fearful fall--and yet the Lord has held me up! But for special keeping--where would I have been this morning? And what would I be? Blessed be God, though it was almost--it was not fully. This word, almost, has been sweet to my soul.

Almost Gone!--but altogether saved, through God's most free, and all-glorious grace!

But I would not merely be kept from open sin, I desire to be so deeply sanctified, that my soul may . . .
  hate, abhor, and detest sin in every form,
  tremble at its approach, and
  flee from the very appearance of evil--to Jesus!

I find that my nature is still corrupt, depraved, and polluted; and that . . .
  the blood of Jesus,
  the restraining power of the Holy Spirit,
  and the forgiving grace of God
--are as necessary as ever!

"Hold me up--and I shall be safe!" Psalm 119:117

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: March 27, 2018, 04:39:00 PM »

Abiding in Christ!

(Carl Heinrich von Bogatzky, "A Golden Treasury for the Children of God" 1718.)

"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine--so neither can you unless you abide in Me." John 15:4

To abide in Christ, who is our righteousness and strength--is the very life and power of Christianity. We are in this happy state, when . . .
  our thoughts are going out after Him,
  our hearts are cleaving to Him, and
  our minds are staying upon Him.
To abide in Him brings peace and joy, and strength to overcome sin and the world--which believers renounce the more readily, as they have found something better in Christ.

Abiding in Him, believers . . .
  look to Christ for all,
  go to Christ with all, and
  depend on Christ through all.
Thus they abide in Jesus--and Jesus abides in them.

May the Lord give me grace, likewise, immovably to abide in Him. Then I shall . . .
  conquer sin,
  overcome the world,
  and always triumph in Christ.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: March 28, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »

Where is my mamma?

(by D.L. Moody)

What makes Heaven attractive for us?

It won't be the pearly gates!

It won't be the streets paved with transparent gold!

These would not satisfy us! If these were all--we would not want to stay in Heaven forever.

I heard the other day, of a little girl whose mother was very sick. While she was sick, one of the neighbors took the child away to stay with her, until the mother would be well again. But instead of getting better--the mother died! They thought it best, that they should not tell the child nor take her home, until the funeral was all over.

So a while afterward, they brought the little girl home. First she went into the sitting-room to find her mother; then she went into the parlor; and then she went from one end of the house to the other--and could not find her mother. At last she said, "Where is my mamma?" And when they told her that her mamma had died, the little girl wanted to go back to the neighbor's house again. Home had lost its attractions to her--since her mother was no longer there!

Just so--it is not the streets of gold and the pearly gates that are going to make Heaven attractive. It is the being with Jesus, our beloved Redeemer!

"And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with Me--that you also may be where I am!" John 14:3

"I desire to depart and be with Christ--which is better by far!" Philippians 1:23

"And so we will be with the Lord forever!" 1 Thessalonians 4:17

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: March 29, 2018, 04:37:23 PM »

These forty years in the wilderness!

(Arthur Pink, "Last Things Last")

"You shall remember how the Lord your God has led you on the entire journey, these forty years in the wilderness--so that He might humble you and test you to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep His commands." Deuteronomy 8:2

This verse calls for a solemn review of our life--how far we have redeemed the time, or to what extent we have trifled it away.

We should be humbled at the recollection of how frequently we grumbled--because His way was not the one we desired. We should judge ourselves unsparingly--because we so often lagged behind, and sought to turn aside into forbidden bypaths. We should ponder the amazing grace of God in condescending to lead us across this trackless desert; and think, too, of His infinite forbearance in continuing to lead us--who are so ungrateful and contrary.

We should praise Him for having kept us in the Narrow Way--which we would have certainly forsaken, had we been left to follow the bent of our own evil lusts. And we also should return fervent thanks--that we are now a year's march nearer to our Heavenly Home.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: March 31, 2018, 05:25:45 PM »

We need internal illumination!

(Archibald Alexander, 1772-1851)

"When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth." (John 16:13)

A genuine Christian is not only taught out of the Word, but by the Holy Spirit. External teaching, however correct, is not sufficient. We need internal illumination by the Spirit. Not that this divine Instructor teaches anything different from the Word. No! He takes of the things of Christ and shows them unto us. He is the Spirit of truth, and will guide the disciples into all truth.

What are some of the lessons which the Spirit teaches?

1. The Spirit teaches us the worth of the soul.

2. The Spirit teaches us the value of time.

3. The Spirit teaches us to venerate the holy Scriptures as the infallible rule to guide our faith and practice.

4. The Spirit teaches us of our ruined and condemned state. He gives the soul a glimpse of indwelling sin--by which it is convinced of its total depravity. Oh, what a multitude of evils! What a fountain of impurity! What a mass of corruption! The heart is found to be deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked. There is found nothing in it truly good.

5. The Spirit teaches us to prize Christ above all. "To you who believe--He is precious." The disciple treasures Jesus as . . .
  his infallible Prophet,
  his sovereign King,
  his sin-atoning Priest.

6. The Spirit teaches us to roll all our burdens on the Lord, and to live outside of ourselves--by daily desiring vital supplies from Christ.

7. The Spirit teaches us the beauty of holiness.

8. The Spirit teaches us the reality and sweetness of communion with God. While many are contented to worship in the outward court--the Christian desires to penetrate into the holy of holies, where he can hear the words, and see the resplendent face of Immanuel.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: April 02, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »

Ever since you rose from your bed this morning--there has been an eye watching you!

(Francis Bourdillon, "The Odd Five Minutes" 1873)

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account!" Hebrews 4:13

Ever since you rose from your bed this morning--there has been an eye watching you! Wherever you have been and whatever you have been doing--that eye has seen you. It has gone with you to your work. It has seen you with your companions. It has been on you when you were alone.

It has seen not merely all that you have done, but why you did it. Your thoughts, your feelings, your motives, which even your nearest friend has not fully known--have all been open to that eye of which I speak. For it is an all-seeing eye--the eye of God!

"His eyes are on the ways of men--He sees their every step!" Job 34:21

"He knows the secrets of the heart!" Psalm 44:21

"You have set our iniquities before You--our secret sins in the light of your presence!" Psalm 90:8

Have you thought of Him whose eye has been upon you today?
Have you given so much as one thought to Him, since the day began?

You have need to pray, great need--for you are dependent upon God for everything. You are entirely in His hand!

If you went to your work this morning strong and well--it was only because God made you so and kept you so.

If you have had enough to eat today, if you are clothed comfortably and have a home to live in--it is only because God supplies your needs. You would have nothing--if God did not supply you. You live--only because He gives you life. He could take all your comforts from you--if it pleased Him. He could lay you on a bed of sickness this very day--He could in a moment, strike you dead!

Have you even spoken to Him today? Have you prayed to Him today?

"I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear Him!" Luke 12:5

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: April 02, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »

My aim and object!

(James Smith)

My object is to lead the mind . . .
  from self--to Jesus;
  from sin--to salvation;
  from the troubles of life--to the comforts of the gospel.

My aim is . . .
  to humble the sinner--and exalt the Savior;
  to strip the creature--and place the crown on the head of God's free grace!

I cannot ascribe too much to Jesus--or too little to man!

My object has always been to keep Christ constantly before the eye, and to enforce the precepts of the Divine Word on the Lord's people--by the consideration of what Christ is to them, and has done for them--so that the love of Christ may constrain them to every good word, and every good work.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: April 04, 2018, 05:09:38 PM »

We have the unspeakable consolation!

(James Buchanan, "Comfort in Affliction" 1837)

"He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all--how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things?" Romans 8:32

We have the unspeakable consolation of knowing that the same divine and compassionate Redeemer who suffered, and bled, and died on for us--has the entire management of our affairs; and that nothing can happen in the course of providence, which is not appointed by Him "Who loved us and gave Himself for us!"

In proportion to our persuasion of His love for us, should be our confidence in His government over us. And what proof of sincerity, or what pledge of love, can we desire--which is not given by His past dealings on our behalf? If He died for us on the cruel cross--then certainly He will now, when all things are put under His power, "make all things work together for our good!"

We may rest assured that the love which He manifested for us on earth, is but a pledge of the love which He still bears to us--and that He will neither forget nor forsake us, until He has accomplished the grand end of His mission, by our deliverance from all evil, and our joyful entrance into the glorious kingdom of Heaven!

Oh! how cheering to know, that amidst the joys of Heaven--Jesus has not forgotten any one of His "little flock" for whom He suffered in the garden and on the cross!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: April 04, 2018, 05:11:00 PM »

If God would take the covering off the mouth of Hell!

(Joseph Alleine, "Alarm to the Unconverted" 1671)

O unbeliever! Look down into the bottomless pit! Do you see how the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever? What do you think of those chains of darkness? Can you be content to burn forever? Do you see how the worm gnaws--how the fire rages? Do you see that great gulf of perdition? Will you take up your habitation there?

O lay your ear to the door of Hell! Do you hear the curses and blasphemies, the weepings and wailings? How they lament their follies, and curse their day! How do they roar and gnash their teeth! How deep their groans! How inconceivable their miseries!

O how fearful would the cry be--if God would take the covering off the mouth of Hell, and let the cry of the damned ascend in all its terror among men! And of their moans and miseries--this is the piercing, killing emphasis and theme: "Forever! forever!"

As God lives, you are but a few hours away from all this--unless you are converted! If there is anything that may be called madness and folly, and anything that may be counted absurd, brutish, and unreasonable, it is this--to go on in your unconverted state!

O sinners, see what a God you have to deal with. If you will but turn, "He will have compassion on you--He will subdue your iniquities, and cast all your sins into the depths of the sea!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: April 06, 2018, 04:40:34 PM »

Do you know that man?

(Archibald Brown)

"What man can live and not see death, or save himself from the power of the grave?" Psalm 89:48

How few men meditate on their own death! "All men think all men mortal, but themselves!"

I was talking with a friend only this afternoon about the continual procession of funerals that goes past my house on a Sunday afternoon; and as we were talking I could not help saying to myself, "I find it so difficult to realize that I may be looking on the very hearse which before long will carry me!"

Have you ever tried to look at your own death? It will do you no harm; so take up the Word of God, and read, "It is appointed for man to die once--and after that comes judgment!" Hebrews 9:27.

Do you see that man lying there on that bed? Do you hear how labored his breathing is? Do you see what big drops of sweat stand upon his brow? You take him by the hand, and he tries to speak to you--but he cannot. And there in the corner of the room you hear the suppressed sobbing of the wife as she folds her little child to her bosom. The dying man's breath gets heavier, and the doctor says, "There is nothing more that I can do."

Do you know that man? Why, it is yourself!

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." Ecclesiastes 7:2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: April 06, 2018, 04:41:48 PM »

This is not a world of chance--it is our Father's world!

(J.R. Miller)

"For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world, to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love He predestined us to be adopted as His sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will." Ephesians 1:4-5

"In Him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of Him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of His will." Ephesians 1:11

This is not a world of chance--it is our Father's world! Events do not happen without divine order and direction. There is a great divine plan running through the ages--which includes all things, and subordinates all forces and all experiences to itself. Our Scripture passages above are full of this great thought.

We will never fully understand these great truths, with their tremendous reach of meaning. We may say, however, at least, that they assure us of a divine plan for the elect--a divine love, a divine purpose of mercy, dating from the infinite past--and running through the eternal ages to come!

All of the elect are eternally secure in Christ the Redeemer!

"Who will bring a charge against God's elect? God is the one who justifies." Romans 8:33-34

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: April 07, 2018, 04:14:35 PM »

Often with his lips, and always by his life!

(George Everard, "An Ordination Sermon" 1883)

"Be an example to all believers in what you teach, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity." 1 Timothy 4:12

A faithful minister must preach often with his lips, and always by his life.

Preach a crucified Savior, out of crucified hearts!

~  ~  ~  ~

"We preach to people who must live forever . . .
    in Heaven--or Hell;
    with God--or devils;
    in an eternity of joy--or of torment!"
Thomas Doolittle

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: April 08, 2018, 05:23:59 PM »

Great in mercy!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"For as the heavens are high above the earth--so great is His mercy toward those who fear Him!" Psalm 103:11

His mercy is so great, that it forgives great sins to great sinners after great lengths of time--and then gives great favors and great privileges, and raises us up to great enjoyments in the great Heaven of the great God!

"The LORD is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and great in mercy!" Psalm 145:8

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: April 09, 2018, 05:17:35 PM »

The worst days I have ever had!

(Charles Spurgeon)

The Lord gets His best soldiers out of the highlands of affliction.

Great hearts can only be made by great troubles.

The spade of trouble digs the reservoir of comfort deeper, and makes more room for consolation.

The Lord's mercy often rides to the door of our heart, upon the black horse of affliction!

I bear my witness that the worst days I have ever had, have turned out to be my best days! And when God has seemed most unfriendly to me, He has then been most kind. If there is anything in this world for which I would bless Him more than for anything else, it is for pain and affliction. I am sure that in these things, the richest tenderest love has been manifested to me.

Our Father's wagons rumble most heavily, when they are bringing us the richest freight of the bullion of His grace.

Love letters from Heaven, are often sent in black-edged envelopes.

The cloud that is black with horror, is big with mercy. Fear not the storm, it brings healing in its wings!

When Jesus is with you in the vessel, the tempest only hastens the ship to its desired haven.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: April 10, 2018, 05:42:31 PM »

This is the greatest sight you will ever see!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"God made Him who had no sin, to be sin for us--so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God." 2 Corinthians 5:21

Jesus has borne the penalty of sin on behalf of His people.

Behold the wonder!

There He hangs upon the cross!

This is the greatest sight you will ever see!

Son of God and Son of Man--there He hangs, bearing unutterable pains, the just for the unjust, to bring us to God.

Oh, the glory of that sight!

The innocent One, punished!
The Holy One, condemned!
The ever-blessed One, made a curse!
The infinitely glorious One, put to a shameful sin-atoning death!

Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the