Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:02:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 354861 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4155 on: March 10, 2018, 04:44:03 PM »

http://www.gracegems.org/19/literature.htm

The Guest!

(Author unknown)

A few months before I was born, my dad met a stranger who was new to our small town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer, and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly accepted and was around to welcome me into the world a few months later.

As I grew up, I never questioned his place in our family. Mom taught me to love the Word of God. Dad taught me to obey it. But the stranger was our storyteller--he could weave the most fascinating tales. Adventures, mysteries and comedies were daily conversations. He could hold our whole family spellbound for hours each evening.

He was like a friend to the whole family. He took Dad and me to our first major league baseball game. He was always encouraging us to see the movies, and he even made arrangements to introduce us to several movie stars.

The stranger was an incessant talker. Dad didn't seem to mind, but sometimes Mom would quietly get up--while the rest of us were enthralled with one of his stories of faraway places--and go to her room and read her Bible and pray. I wonder now if she ever prayed that the stranger would leave. My Dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions. But this stranger never felt an obligation to honor them.

Profanity was not allowed in our house--not from us, our friends, or adults. Our longtime visitor, however, used four-letter words that burned my ears and made Dad squirm. To my knowledge, the stranger was never confronted.

Dad didn't permit alcohol in his home. But the stranger enlightened us to other ways of life. He often offered us beer and other alcoholic beverages. He made cigarettes look appealing, cigars manly, and pipes distinguished.

He talked freely about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing. I know now that my early concepts of the man/woman relationship were influenced by the stranger.

I believe it was only by the grace of God that the stranger did not influence us even more. Time after time he opposed my parents' values. Yet he was seldom rebuked and never asked to leave.

More than thirty years have passed since the stranger moved in with the young family. He is not nearly so intriguing to my Dad now, as he was in those early years. But if I were to walk into my parents' home today, I would still see him sitting over in a corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk, and watch him draw his pictures. His name? We always called him TV.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: March 11, 2018, 04:43:17 PM »

If my pocket was full of stones!

(Letters of John Newton)

"Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do You say?" John 8:4-5

If my pocket was full of stones, I have no right to throw one at the greatest sinner upon earth. I have either done as bad, or worse than he--or I certainly would have done so, if the Lord had left me to myself--for I am made of just the same materials. If there is any difference between myself and the greatest wretch--it is wholly of sovereign grace!

"But by the grace of God I am what I am!" 1 Corinthians 15:10

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: March 12, 2018, 04:45:54 PM »

A chequered life

(Letters of John Newton)

This life that we live in the flesh, is a chequered life.

The grain requires both rain and sunshine to bring it to maturity; but either of them without the other, would destroy the crop.

Thus, if we had only the sun of prosperity--the plant of grace would be burnt up.
If we only had the rain of affliction--the plant of grace would be overwhelmed and drowned.

The Lord, who knows exactly what we are, and where we are--adjusts these different means, in season and measure, as He, in His wisdom, sees most for our advantage.

Were health at all times and in all respects best for those who fear Him--then they would not feel a moment's illness!

We pass through so many changes, that when it rains--we may always hope for fair weather.
And when the sky is bright and serene--we may expect rain before long.

He prescribes all our afflictions--in number, weight, and measure, and season, exactly according to what our case requires!

What a mercy to know that all our concerns are in the hands of Him who so loved us, as to wash us from our sins in His own blood.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: March 13, 2018, 03:10:53 PM »

Poor little boy!

(Letters of John Newton)

My Dear Sir,
Poor little boy! It is mercy indeed that he recovered from such a formidable injury. The Lord wounded--and the Lord healed.

I ascribe, what the world calls accident--to Him. I believe that without His permission, and for wise and good ends--a child can no more pull a bowl of boiling water on itself, than it could pull the moon out of its orbit!

And why does He permit such things? One or two reasons is sufficient for us. God allows trials to remind us of the uncertainty of life and all creature-comforts; to make us afraid of cleaving too closely to pretty toys, which are so precarious, that often while we look at them they vanish; and to lead us to a more entire dependence upon Himself--that we might never judge ourselves or our concerns safe from outward appearances only; but that the Lord is our keeper, and were not His eye upon us, a thousand dangers and painful changes, which we can neither foresee nor prevent, are lurking about us at every step, ready to break in upon us every hour.

"God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in His holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:10-11

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: March 14, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »

Why are we so apt to be captivated with the gewgaws of the world?

(Letters of John Newton)

The holiness of a saved sinner consists chiefly of low thoughts of self--and high thoughts of the Savior. These will always be in proportion.

The lower we appear to ourselves--the more highly we shall esteem Him.
The more we are enthralled with His glory--the more we shall sink in our own eyes.

Could you find the man who has most of these properties--you would find the most holy man upon earth. And as we advance in these--we shall, in the same degree, attain to everything else that properly belongs to holiness.

Why are we liable to anger, pride, selfishness, and other evil tempers?
Because we think too highly of ourselves, and suppose that we are not treated as we deserve to be.

Why are we so apt to be captivated with the gewgaws of the world?
Because we are so faintly impressed with a real sense of the excellence of Jesus.

We say indeed that His loving-kindness is better than life, but if we really and fully thought so--then hard things would be easy, and bitter things would be sweet, and there would be no room for impatience or discontent in our hearts.

But alas! all within us, and all around us--is defective and polluted!

"Hold me up--and I shall be safe!" Psalm 119:117

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: March 15, 2018, 01:21:26 PM »

If I was qualified to search out the best Christian in the kingdom

(Letters of John Newton)

"This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at My Word." Isaiah 66:2

Indeed, I believe that the most lively graces, and the most solid comfort--are known among the Lord's poor and unlearned people. Every outward advantage has a tendency to nourish the pride of the human heart--and requires a proportionate knowledge of the deceitful self and the evil of sin to counter-balance them.

It is no less difficult to have great abilities, than great riches--without trusting in them. 1 Timothy 6:17

If I was qualified to search out the best Christian in the kingdom--I would not expect to find him either in a seminary or in a pulpit. I would give the palm to that person who had the lowest thoughts of himself, and the most admiring and loving thoughts of the Savior. And perhaps this person would be some bed-ridden old man or woman--or a pauper in a parish workhouse.

The Lord's regard to us, is not to be measured by our theological knowledge--but rather by the simplicity of our dependence, and the uniform tenor of our obedience to His will.

"Humble yourselves before the Lord--and He will lift you up." James 4:10

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: March 16, 2018, 03:33:35 PM »

The Lord's people, instead of amusing themselves with politics

(Letters of John Newton)

The times are gloomy--but the Lord reigns! To Him I would refer everything in public or in private life. There is political discontent in some hearts, and in some places. But I ought to be discontented with myself--that I am not filled with wonder and praise, that things are so much better with us than we deserve!

The Lord's people, instead of amusing themselves with politics, may be stirred up to serve their country by prayer. If they sigh and mourn for the abominations in the midst of us, and stand in the breach to avert deserved judgments--then our peace and liberty may be yet prolonged. I rely more upon the prayers of God's people, than upon all our fleets and armies!

It is well both for ministers and private Christians to have as little to do with politics as possible. Politics is a pit that will swallow up the life and spirit, if not the very form of the religion of many professors. The Lord reigns, and every issue will be directed by infinite wisdom and goodness, without our interference. And can we wish them under better management?

From poison and politics--good Lord deliver me! A heart swallowed up in politics is as hurtful to the life of God in the soul--as poison is to the bodily frame!

"Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns!" Revelation 19:6

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: March 17, 2018, 03:48:09 PM »

We must trace His bloody footsteps!

(Letters of John Newton)

"Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows." John 16:33

"To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you--leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps." 1 Peter 2:21

The Christian life is a warfare--and you must not expect an exemption from the battle.

The Captain of our salvation trod a thorny path Himself--and we must trace His bloody footsteps, and not think to walk to Heaven upon a soft carpet. If we could--then what need would we have of shoes of iron and brass?

Those who are now reaping in joy--sowed in tears when they were here. And why should not we? The way to Heaven is through many trials and sorrows. If we did not meet with such things--we might justly suspect that we had mistaken the road!

"For the Lord disciplines the one He loves--and chastises every son whom He receives." Hebrews 12:6

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: March 20, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »

The sum of my complaints amounts to this!

(Letters of John Newton)

"Oh, what a wretched man I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?" Romans 7:24

I see much daily cause for humiliation--whether I look backward or inward. The sum of my complaints amounts to this--that I am a sick sinner, diseased in every part. I am burdened with a body of sin and death.

But I have a little book, which I am enabled to believe is the sure Word of God. The doctrines and promises I meet with in it, which we call the gospel, exactly suit my needs--and the temper and conduct it is designed to form, agrees with my leading desires.

I was once far otherwise minded, and would doubtless have remained so--had not almighty power and sovereign mercy softened my heart. I would therefore praise Him for what he has done, and wait upon Him to do more, for I can do nothing for myself. In the mean time, instead of complaining--I would try to be thankful.

If He has begun a good work, I dare not indulge a doubt of His carrying it on to completion. If He who is the infallible Physician has undertaken my case--I shall not die but live, and declare the works of the Lord!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: March 20, 2018, 05:24:28 PM »

The Bible!

(Henry Law, "Beacons of the Bible" 1869)

The Bible is the richest treasure of the world!

Without it, the palace is a dark blank.
With it, the poor cottage sparkles with celestial light.

It is the transcript of God's heart.

It tells what human reason is too weak to find.

It is pure truth without one shadow of error.

It gives knowledge on all things needful for time and for eternity.

It is a safe guide through life's entangled path.

It is a compass . . .
  through shoals and rocks;
  amid winds and waves;
  to Heaven's eternal rest!

The sage is ignorant without it.

The peasant learns from it salvation's road.

It is a solace for every hour.

It is a companion always ready to converse.

It cheers when other comforts fail.

It is arrayed in every charm for the intellect.

It never wearies.

It is always fresh.

Its oldest truths cannot grow old.

Its readers become more wise--and more holy.

Other books may puzzle and corrupt.
The Bible is from Heaven, and leads to Heaven.
It enters the heart with purifying grace.

The more you search the Bible--the more your minds will wonder, and your hearts will love.

Read it as literally true. Then no human philosophy will beguile you.

Ponder its characters. You will find on them the intrinsic stamp of truth.

"The Bible is . . .
  an armory of heavenly weapons,
  a pharmacy of infallible medicines,
  a mine of exhaustless wealth,
  a guidebook for every road,
  a chart for every sea,
  a medicine for every malady,
  and a balm for every wound!
Rob us of our Bible, and our sky has lost its sun!" (Thomas Guthrie)

"Oh, how I love Your Law! I meditate on it all day long!" Psalm 119:97

"Your Words were found, and I ate them--and Your Word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart!" Jeremiah 15:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: March 21, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »

It is the vile monster!

(Henry Law, "Family Prayers")

God Almighty, holy Father,
We beseech You to deepen in our hearts--the abhorrence of all evil.

May we hate sin with perfect hatred. It is the vile monster which . . .
  defies Your power,
  casts off Your yoke,
  treads down Your lovely law,
  defiles our nature,
  spreads misery throughout this earth,
  brought death into the world, and
  nailed the spotless Lamb of God to the accursed tree!

Teach us to look to Jesus on the cross--and so to estimate our sin's loathsome guilt in Your sight.

There could be no pardon of our sin--but through Your dear Son's death!

No cleansing could wash out our sin's filth--but Jesus' precious blood!

No atonement could expiate the evil of our sin--but the shame, the agony, the bruises of the incarnate God!

We see the boundless price--may we read therein our boundless guilt!

In the infinite payment--show us our infinite debt!

Thus may we . . .
  discern the deadly viper in its real malignity,
  and tear it with holy indignation from our hearts,
  and resolutely turn from its every snare,
  and refuse to hold polluting dalliance with it!

"Oh! What a wretched man I am!" Romans 7:24

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: March 22, 2018, 05:44:06 PM »

This is just the difference between the Christian and the worldling

(Charles Spurgeon)

"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave
 and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." Job 1:21

"It was good for me to be afflicted--so that I might learn Your decrees." Psalm 119:71

This is just the difference between the Christian and the worldling:
  The worldling blesses God while He gives him plenty,
  but the Christian blesses Him when He smites him!

He believes God to be too wise to err--and too good to be unkind.

He trusts God's heart--where he cannot trace God's hand.

He looks up to Him in the darkest hour--and believes that all is well.

"We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who
 love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: March 24, 2018, 02:29:19 AM »

People never reject the Bible because they cannot understand it

(J.C. Ryle, "Thoughts For Young Men")

"This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed!" John 3:19-20

Be very sure of this--people never reject the Bible because they cannot understand it.

They understand it only too well! They understand that it condemns their own behavior. They understand that it witnesses against their own sins, and summons them to judgment! They try to believe it is false and useless--because they don't like to believe it is true.

An evil lifestyle must always raise an objection to this holy book.

Men question the truth of Christianity--because they hate the practice of it!

"For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie, and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness." 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: March 25, 2018, 03:49:21 PM »

The blessed man!

(James Smith, "Comfort for Christians!")

"Blessed is the man You chasten, O Lord--the man You teach from Your law!" Psalm 94:12

The chastenings of the Lord often appear severe--but they are merciful. They . . .
  correct our follies,
  subdue our proud wills, and
  soften and humble our hard hearts before Him.

When God chastens--He teaches. The lessons are found in His Word--but we never learn many of them, until we go through the furnace of affliction! We often learn more truth from one short, sharp affliction--than we do from many books and sermons!

In affliction, God teaches us . . .
  our own emptiness and vanity,
  our dependence on Himself, and
  the insufficiency of all our earthly things!

In affliction, God . . .
  endears the Lord Jesus and His great salvation to us;
  shows us the value of the provision of grace;
  makes our consciences tender and honest;
  qualifies us for usefulness on earth; and
  fits us for the enjoyment of Himself in Heaven.

We need chastening. If we do not receive it--we become . . .
  carnal and worldly,
  light and trifling,
  unsavory and useless in both the world and the church!

It is a blessed thing to be chastened of the Lord, especially when the rod teaches us such important and invaluable lessons! Chastened Christians are generally the most useful and attractive Christians.

"Heed the rod--and the One who appointed it!" Micah 6:9
Chastened Christian! Seek grace . . .
  to bear the rod,
  to bless the rod, and
  to kiss the hand that holds the rod!

"Blessed is the man whom God corrects--so do not despise the chastening of the Almighty!" Job 5:17

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: March 25, 2018, 03:50:49 PM »

The best man!

(Charles Spurgeon)

It seems to me that the best and most tender duty that Christians do for their Lord Jesus, is that which is touched with the bloodmark--which bears the stamp of the cross.

The best preaching is, "We preach Christ crucified!"

The best living is, "We are crucified with Christ!"

The best man, is a crucified man!

The more we live beholding our Lord's unutterable griefs, and understanding how He has fully put away our sin--the more holiness we shall produce.

The more we dwell where the cries of Calvary can be heard--where we can view Heaven, and earth, and Hell, all moved by His wondrous suffering--the nobler will our lives become.

Nothing puts life into men, like a dying Savior!

Come, let us slay sin--for Christ was slain.

Come, let us bury all our pride--for Christ was buried.

Come, let us rise to newness of life--for Christ has risen.

Let us be united with our crucified Lord in His one great objective. Let us live and die with Him--and then every action of our lives will be very beautiful.

Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the