Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:18:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 355895 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3780 on: January 26, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »

http://www.gracegems.org/19/literature.htm

Nothing worse can happen to a Church!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world--but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2

Someone was asking, the other day, how it was that the church, nowadays, was not so separate from the world as it used to be. One who heard the question suggested that, possibly, the world had grown better; but another more truly said that, probably, the church had grown worse.

There are some, in these apostate days, who think that the church cannot do better than to come down to the world to learn her ways, follow her maxims, and acquire her "culture." In fact, the notion is that the world is to be conquered by our conformity to it. This is as contrary to Scripture as the light is to the darkness!

Brethren, beloved in the Lord, you may depend upon it that nothing worse can happen to a Church, than to be conformed unto this world! Write "Ichabod!" upon her walls, then--for the sentence of destruction has gone out against her.

It will be an ill day for the church and the world when the proposed amalgamation shall be complete, and the sons of God and the daughters of men shall be as one--then shall another deluge of wrath be ushered in!

"Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you. I will be a Father to you, and you will be My sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty." 2 Corinthians 6:17-18

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: January 28, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »

Hands up, everyone who has a Bible!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"His delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law he meditates day and night!" Psalm 1:2

If I were to say, "Hands up, everyone who has a Bible!"--everybody's hands here would go up, as I suppose that nobody here is without a Bible.

But if I were to ask, "How many here, as a habit and a delight, meditate upon the Scriptures?"--I wonder how many hands would be raised? Well, I will not ask you that question, but let everybody ask it for himself and judge himself concerning it in the sight of God.

Lord, give us a Bible reading, Bible loving people!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: February 02, 2017, 02:00:41 AM »

Oh, what a glorious truth is this!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"You are altogether beautiful, my love--there is no flaw in you!" Song of Songs 4:7

Although a poor tried child of God may feel the force of his inbred sin and have to continually struggle with it--and though he may, from day to day, be conscious of his many imperfections--yet before those eyes which see everything, there is no flaw to be seen upon the believer in Christ. I mean no flaw in this respect--that he can never be condemned or punished for his sin. His sin is finally and fully and forever pardoned!

Oh, what a glorious truth is this!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: February 02, 2017, 02:01:42 AM »

With lowly reverence at the foot of the Cross

(Charles Spurgeon)

With lowly reverence at the foot of the Cross, bow down your soul and say, "My Lord, there is no difference between me and the greatest reprobate--but what Your grace has made! There is no difference between me and lost souls in Hell--except what Your infinite compassion has been pleased to make!"

"By the grace of God I am what I am!" 1 Corinthians 15:10

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: February 02, 2017, 02:02:50 AM »

A comfortable nest for us!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"I thought: Surely I shall die in my nest!" Job 29:18

God has never meant this world to be a comfortable nest for us. If we try to make it such for ourselves--He will plant thorns in it so that we may be compelled to mount and find our soul's true home somewhere else, in a higher and nobler sphere than this poor world can give!

"Arise and depart, for this is not your rest; because it is polluted!" Micah 2:10

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: February 02, 2017, 02:04:00 AM »

How cheerfully would they pass along the 'journey of life'

(James Smith, "Fellowship with God" 1849)

"Cast all your care on Him--because He cares about you!" 1 Peter 5:7

"You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in Your bottle. You have recorded each one in Your book." Psalm 56:8

Jehovah is deeply interested in the welfare of all His people! He has  . . .
  formed them for Himself,
  redeemed them by the blood of Immanuel, and
  new created them by the energy of the Comforter!

He is interested . . .
  in all their needs,
  in all their troubles,
  in all their trials,
  in all their persecutions,
  in all their temptations,
  in all their afflictions
  and in their death!

Yes, there is nothing belonging to a believer, but what Jehovah is concerned about:
  from their tiny trifles of today--to their ponderous concerns of eternity;
  from their feeble flutterings of anxiousness--to the redemption of their immortal soul!
All and everything that concerns them--their heavenly Father is interested in, and concerned about!

O if the Lord's family did but believe this, that the minutest thing that belongs to them, the least circumstance of their lives, and everything connected with that circumstance, is a matter of concern to Jehovah--how happy would they live, how cheerfully would they pass along the 'journey of life' and commit all to the keeping of their God!

The believer brings to the Lord his sins, trials, griefs, and woes--and the Lord bestows His pardon, riches, relief, and consolation!

Christian, what a thought is this!

"Cast your cares on the Lord--and He will sustain you!" Psalm 55:22

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: February 02, 2017, 02:05:12 AM »

Rich to all eternity!

(Charles Spurgeon)

No matter how great your wealth, if you have not Christ--you are miserably poor! "The rich man also died and was buried. In Hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him: Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire!" Luke 16:22-24

No matter how great your poverty, if you have Christ--you are rich to all eternity! "We have a priceless inheritance--an inheritance that is kept in Heaven for you, pure and undefiled, beyond the reach of change and decay!" 1 Peter 1:4

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: February 04, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »

Lord, let me be a pure stream

(Thomas Sherman, "Divine Breathings; Or, a Pious Soul Thirsting after Christ")

Jordan, that famous river, no doubt runs through many a pleasant meadow, by many a shady grove and flowery bank; and yet at last empties itself into the Dead Sea.

So it is with a wicked man! Here on earth he walks through meadows of worldly pleasures, and rests under the shades of earthly comforts, and sports and wallows among the flowers of worldly delights--but at last runs himself down into the Dead Sea of Hell. And not only so--but . . .
  his earthly delights will fade,
  his beauty shall be turned into horror,
  his honor shall be turned into shame,
  his lusts shall be turned into tormentors, and
  his pleasures shall be turned into bitterness!

Lord, let me be a pure stream, that I may terminate in Heaven! I care not what difficult channels I pass through here on earth--if in Heaven I may exchange my weakness and corruption, for perfection and glory!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: February 04, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »

God-pardoned, God-reconciled, Sin-delivered, God-arrayed, Heaven-entitled souls!

(Archibald Brown, "What Christ Has Done for Me!" 1872)

"Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will declare what He has done for my soul!" Psalm 66:16

No one word can fully express all that God has done for my soul, though in general it may be described as saved. Saved! Ah, that is a grand word worthy of being written in letters of gold! A saved soul includes many things--I can only mention them:

1. A saved soul is a God-pardoned soul. All its sins are forgiven, and its iniquities are drowned in that deluge of pardoning love that rises high above the topmost peaks of all its mountain sins!

2. A saved soul is a God-reconciled soul. Once at enmity--God and the sinner are now at peace. All differences are at an end. The prodigal sinner has been embraced and kissed by the father. The rebel has thrown down his weapons, and bent his knee to the Monarch--and the Monarch has raised him up, and with a smile of love, has put him among His children. If I may so express it, God and the sinner have met and shaken hands beneath the shadow of the cross. They are at at-one-ment there.

3. A saved soul is also a sin-delivered soul. This is something more than pardon, or reconciliation. It is a higher blessing. Pardon remits the punishment of sin--but leaves the guilt of sin. But justification acquits the person of every charge. Believer, your sins are not merely forgiven--but they are done away with, put out of sight, removed from you as far as the remotest east is from the extreme west! In the eye of God, you are as guiltless as His spotless Son! "You are altogether beautiful, My love; there is no flaw in you!" Song of Songs 4:7

4. A saved soul is also a God-arrayed soul. This is higher still. The former blessing was a negation of guilt--this is a possession of righteousness. A righteousness, mark you, that is not capable of improvement--but a righteousness that is superlative in its quality--it is the righteousness of God Himself! A saved soul, even to the omniscient eye of Deity, is not only without spot or wrinkle or any such thing--but it is altogether lovely and glorious, robed in the splendor of "Jehovah Tsidkenu"--"The Lord our Righteousness!"

5. A saved soul is a Heaven-entitled soul. This crowns all. Not merely am I delivered from Hell--but in my hand is placed a title-deed to eternal glory! This is no fiction or flight of imagination--but a blessed fact. Possessed by every saint, is a title to Heaven that God Himself will declare to be valid to all eternity.

Now believer, if all these things are included in what God has done for our souls, then did I not say rightly that many words were necessary to describe the work? Let us then, as God-pardoned, God-reconciled, Sin-delivered, God-arrayed, Heaven-entitled souls--call on all, far and near, to come and listen to our joyous tale.

God looks upon His redeemed people as the masterpieces of His love and power, and He will before assembled worlds exhibit us as the grandest trophies Heaven contains!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: February 08, 2017, 05:43:26 PM »

With perfect wisdom, at the right time, in the right way!

(J.C. Ryle)

"He has done all things well!" Mark 7:37

The truth of these words is full of deep and unspeakable comfort, and ought to be daily remembered by all true Christians.

Let us remember it as we look back over the days past of our lives, from the hour of our conversion. In the first bringing us out of darkness into marvelous light--in humbling us and teaching us our weakness, guilt, and folly--in stripping us of our idols, and choosing all our portions--in placing us where we are, and giving us what we have--how well everything has been done! How great is the mercy that we have not had our own way! "He has done all things well!"

Let us remember it as we look forward to the days yet to come. We know not what they may be--bright or dark, many or few. But we know that we are in the hands of Him who does all things well. He will not err in any of His dealings with us. He will take away and give--He will afflict and bereave--He will move and He will settle--with perfect wisdom, at the right time, in the right way! The great Shepherd of the sheep makes no mistakes! He leads every lamb of His flock by the right way to the city of habitation. "He has done all things well!"

We shall never see the full beauty of these words until the resurrection morning. We shall then look back over our lives, and know the meaning of everything that happened from first to last. We shall remember all the way by which we were led, and confess that all was "well done." The why and the wherefore, the causes and the reasons of everything which now perplexes us--will then be as clear and plain as the sun at noon-day. We shall wonder at our own past blindness, and marvel that we could ever have doubted our Lord's love. Truly, "He has done all things well!"

"Now we see through a glass darkly, but then face to face. Now we know in part, but then shall we know even as we are known." 1 Corinthians 13:12

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: February 08, 2017, 05:44:38 PM »

He has a perfect knowledge of all His subjects!

(William Dyer, "Christ's Famous Titles")

Oh, brethren, earthly kings and princes do not know all their subjects; nay, they know very few. Alas! they do not know a quarter of them! They are not acquainted with all the troubles, and needs, and miseries that their poor subjects lie under.

The Lord Jesus infinitely excels all other kings--in that He has a perfect knowledge of all His subjects! He knows them all by name. He knows . . .
  all their thoughts,
  all their needs,
  all their ways,
  all their conditions.

So say I to you, brethren, Your King knows . . .
  all your necessities,
  all your sufferings,
  all your troubles,
  all your fears!

Yes, and "My God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus!" Philippians 4:19. Oh, this is a sweet Scripture!

Oh, poor souls, Christ knows everything about you! This is our great happiness, that we have a King who knows us so well. Oh, here is the excellency of our King!

~  ~  ~  ~

(Charles Spurgeon)

The Lord thinks as much of one of His people--as if there were nobody else for Him to think upon!

Poor needy one, the Lord thinks upon you as intensely as if you were the only being now existing!

The Lord has such an infinite capacity, that each one of us may be the center of God's thoughts--and yet He will not be forgetting any other beloved one!

The Lord's tenderness and His care for His people, baffle all our thoughts and expectations!

"Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you!" 1 Peter 5:7

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: February 08, 2017, 05:45:43 PM »

What answer can you give to these very important questions?

(James Smith's autobiography, "Marvelous Mercy!" 1862)

On the last day of this year, I wrote in my diary as follows:
"Through the richest mercy, I am now brought to the close of another year, let me therefore ask you, my soul--What are your improvements this past year?

Is Christ more precious?

Do His work, righteousness, and blood, appear inestimable?

Do you see more of His suitability, and feel a stronger attachment to Him?

Is His glory dearer to you, and His honor more precious in your sight?

Do you feel more devoted to Him, and find greater pleasure in His service?

Do you lie lower at the foot of the cross, and is Jesus more lovely in your eyes?

Are you more humbled before God under a sight and sense of your sinfulness?

Is your temper, disposition, and will--more subdued by grace?

Does grace reign, and sway its scepter over all your powers?

Is sin more hateful, death less fearful, and Heaven more desirable?

Is the Bible more prized, and are you better acquainted with its contents, living under the influence of its holy precepts?

Is holiness and entire devotedness to God more sought after?

Are you seeking to live nearer to Jesus, to trust more unreservedly to Him, and to leave all your concerns in His hands?

Are you more earnest in your desires to be made useful to His flock and family?

Are you more prayerful, more given to meditation?

Is it your one grand desire and aim, to crown Jesus Lord of all?

Speak, my soul--what answer can you give to these very important questions? Speak as in the sight of God, as though you were placed before the tribunal of the Most High God! Let the Holy Spirit, who searches all things, be your witness that you speak the truth, and nothing but the truth!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: February 08, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »

If Christ has our love--then He has our ALL!

(Thomas Doolittle, "Love to Christ Necessary to Escape the Curse at His Coming!" 1693)

"If any man does not love the Lord Jesus Christ--he shall be accursed!" 1 Corinthians 16:22

If Christ has our love--then He has our ALL! Christ never has our all from us--until He has our love. Love withholds nothing from Christ, when it is sincerely set upon Him.
Then He shall have our time,
and He shall have our service,
and He shall have the use of all our abilities, and gifts, and graces!
Yes, then He shall have our estates and our very lives--when He calls for them.

As when God loves any of us--He will withhold nothing from us that is good for us; no, not even His own only begotten Son! Romans 8:32

And when Christ loves us, then He gives all unto us:
  His merits to justify us,
  His Spirit to sanctify us,
  His grace to adorn us,
  His glory to crown us!

Just so, when any of us love Christ sincerely, we lay all down at His feet, and give up all to be at His command and service! "And they did not love their lives unto the death!" Revelation 12:11

Love gives the character to a man, according as the object is, which he superlatively loves.
As is the love--such is the man. As is the love--such might you boldly call the man.

If he is a lover of honor--then he is an ambitious man.

If he is a lover of pleasure--then he is a voluptuous man.

If he chiefly loves the world--then he is he is a covetous man.

If he loves holiness--then he is he is a pious man.

If he loves the things above--then he is a heavenly-minded man.

If he loves Christ with a predominant love--then he is a Christian man!

"The upright love You!" Song of Songs 1:4

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: February 12, 2017, 04:51:48 PM »

WHY?

(Horatius Bonar)

"Do not love the world or anything in the world." 1 John 2:15

WHY?

1. Because the gain of it, is the loss of the soul--Matthew 16:25-26.

2. Because its friendship is enmity to God--James 4:4.

3. Because it did not know Christ--John 1:10; 17:25.

4. Because it hates Christ--John 7:7; 15:18.

5. Because the Holy Spirit has forbidden us--1 John 2:15.

6. Because Christ did not pray for it--John 17:9.

7. Because Christ's people do not belong to it--John 17:16.

8. Because its Prince is Satan--John 13:31; 16:11.

9. Because Christ's kingdom is not of it--John 18:36.

10. Because its wisdom is foolishness--1 Corinthians 1:20.

11. Because Christ does not belong to it--John 8:23.

12. Because it is condemned--1 Corinthians 11:32.

13. Because it is passing away--1 Corinthians 7:31.

14. Because it slew Christ--James 5:6; Matthew 21:39.

15. Because it is crucified to us--Galatians 6:14.

16. Because we are crucified to it--Galatians 6:14.

17. Because it is the seat of wickedness--2 Peter 1:4; 1 John 5:19.

18. Because its god is the evil one--2 Corinthians 4:4.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: February 12, 2017, 04:52:51 PM »

Short pithy gems from Charles Spurgeon!

~ ~ ~ ~

It is better to preach five words of God's Word--than five million words of man's wisdom!

~ ~ ~ ~

To be almost saved--is to be altogether lost! There are many in Hell who once were almost saved--but who are now altogether damned! Think of that, you who are not far from the Kingdom. It is being in the Kingdom that saves the soul--not being near the Kingdom.

~ ~ ~ ~

The world does not read the Bible--the world reads Christians!

~ ~ ~ ~

A golden coffin will be a poor compensation for a damned soul!

~ ~ ~ ~

If you have lived like the wicked--then you will die like the wicked, and be damned like the wicked!

Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the