Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:40:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356196 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: February 22, 2015, 06:16:31 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

Religious entertainment!

(A.W. Tozer)

"For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth, and turn aside to myths!" 2 Timothy 4:3-4

The great god 'Entertainment' amuses his devotees mainly by telling them stories. The love of stories, which is characteristic of childhood, has taken fast hold of the minds of the retarded saints of our day, so much so that many manage to make a comfortable living by spinning yarns and serving them up in various disguises to church people. What is natural and beautiful in a child, may be shocking when it persists into adulthood, and more so when it appears in the sanctuary and seeks to pass for true religion!

So today we have the astonishing spectacle of millions of dollars being poured into the unholy job of providing earthly entertainment for the so-called people of God. Religious entertainment is in many places rapidly crowding out the serious things of God. Many churches these days have become little more than poor theaters, where fifth-rate "producers" peddle their shoddy wares with the approval of evangelical leaders who can even quote a holy text in defense of their delinquency. And hardly a man dares raise his voice against it!

"Once you have lost the division between the world and the Church--the Church ceases to be truly Christian!" (Martyn Lloyd-Jones)

"Pleasure, so called, is the murderer of serious thought. This is the age of excessive amusement. Everybody craves for it, like a babe for its rattle!" (Charles Spurgeon)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: February 24, 2015, 06:17:51 PM »

Some thoughts on idolatry!

"These men have set up their idols in their hearts!" Ezekiel 14:3

"Their heart went after their idols!" Ezekiel 20:16

"We are all born idolaters!" Thomas Watson

"Every one of us is, from his mother's womb, expert in inventing idols. Man's nature, so to speak, is a perpetual idol factory!" John Calvin

"An idol of the mind is as offensive to God as an idol of the hand." A.W. Tozer

"O wretched idol, Myself!" Samuel Rutherford

"This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Repent! Turn from your idols and renounce all your detestable practices!" Ezekiel 14:6

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: February 25, 2015, 07:29:10 PM »

Half bewildered by the thought!

(Archibald Brown, "This God Our God!")

There are two passages in the Scripture which ought never to be separated.

One is, "The Lord's portion is His people." Deuteronomy 32:9

And the other passage is this, "The Lord is my portion, says my soul." Lamentations 3:24

God and my soul possess each other.
God finds His portion in His people--and His people find their portion in God.

God is the portion of His people forever!
This God is mine, in all His glorious perfection.
His heart is mine, for He loves me.
His ear is mine, for I may pour into it all my tales of sorrow and all my songs of joy.
His eyes are mine, for they watch me from morning until night.
His hand is mine, for it is stretched out to uphold me.

Oh, He is a God of infinite glory. Abased in the very dust, and half bewildered by the thought, I yet dare to look up, and say, "This God is my God forever and ever. He will be my guide even unto death!" Psalm 48:14

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: February 26, 2015, 05:05:29 PM »

A bowl which will soon be broken!

(Thomas Watson, "The Lord's Prayer")

"What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes away!" James 4:14

Time passes on apace! Our time is very short and uncertain. It will not be long, "before the silver cord of life snaps and the golden bowl is broken." The skull wherein the brains are enclosed, is a bowl which will soon be broken!

Our soul is in the body, as the bird in the shell, which soon breaks--and the bird flies out. The shell of the body is soon broken--and the soul flies into eternity! We know not whether we shall live another day. Before we hear another sermon-bell ring, our death-bell may ring. Our life runs as a swift stream--into the ocean of eternity!

Brethren, if our time is so short and transient--if the candle of life is so soon consumed, or perhaps blown out by an unexpectant death--how should we use all our strength, that we may obtain the kingdom of glory! If time is so short, why do we waste it on trivial things--and neglect the "one thing needful"? A man who has a great work to be done, and but one day for doing it, needs to work hard. We have a great work to do, we are striving for an eternal glorious kingdom, and alas! we are not certain of one day to work in!

"So teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom!" Psalm 90:12

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: February 27, 2015, 06:26:24 PM »

Smaller virtues and lesser vices

(Hannah More, "Practical Piety")

"Hate everything that is evil, and hold tight to everything that is good." Romans 12:9

It is important for the Christian . . .
  to practice the smaller virtues,
  to avoid scrupulously the lesser vices,
  and to bear patiently with minor trials.

Smaller virtues and lesser vices make up a large part of human life, and fix and determine our moral character.

The smaller virtues are the threads and filaments which gently but firmly tie the Christian graces together. The acquisition of even the smallest virtue, is actually a conquest over the opposite vice, and doubles our moral strength.

Faults which we are accustomed to consider as small, are apt to be repeated without reservation. The habit of committing them is strengthened by the repetition. Frequency renders us at first indifferent, and then insensible.

The hopelessness attending a long-indulged habit generates carelessness, until the power of resistance is first weakened, then destroyed.

The Christian knows of no small faults. He considers sins, whatever their magnitude, as an offense against his Maker. Nothing that offends God can be insignificant.

Nothing can be trifling that makes a bad habit fasten itself to us!

Do small faults, continually repeated, always retain their original weakness?

Is a bad temper which is never repressed, not worse after years of indulgence, than when we first gave the reins to it?

Does the habit of exaggeration never lead to falsehood, or never move into deceit?

Before we determine that our small faults are innocent, we must try to prove that they shall never outgrow their initial dimensions. We must make certain that the infant shall never become a giant!

"Hate everything that is evil, and hold tight to everything that is good." Romans 12:9

Sow a thought--and you will reap an act;
    sow an act--and you will reap a habit;
    sow a habit--and you will reap a character;
    sow character--and you will reap a destiny!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: March 01, 2015, 01:13:05 AM »

Life is wasted by driblets

(Charles Spurgeon)

"A little extra sleep, a little more slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest--and poverty will come on you like a bandit, and scarcity like an armed man!" Proverbs 24:33, 34

The worst of sluggards only ask for a little slumber; they would be indignant if they were accused of thorough idleness. A little folding of the hands to rest is all they crave, and they have a crowd of reasons to show that this indulgence is a very proper one. Yet by these littles--the day ebbs out, and the time for labor is all gone, and the field is grown over with thorns!

It is by little procrastinations--that men squander their opportunities. They have no intention to delay for years--a few months will bring the more convenient season. Tomorrow they will attend to serious things; but the present hour is so occupied and altogether so unsuitable, that they beg to be excused.

Like sands through an hour-glass, time passes. Life is wasted by driblets, and seasons of opportunity are lost by little slumbers. Oh, to be wise, to catch the flying hour--to use the moments on the wing! May the Lord teach us this sacred wisdom!

"So teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom!" Psalm 90:12

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: March 01, 2015, 04:20:21 PM »

All things have become new!

(Thomas Reade)

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

Our perceptions will be new. A divine light will break in upon our minds. The darkness of error, which obscured the truth from our view, will be dissipated.

Our principles will be new. We shall act from pure, holy, unselfish motives. Faith working by love will be the grand moving principle. Self will no longer be the pivot on which we turn--but Jesus will be our all in all.

Our practice will be new. We shall live no longer according to the sinful customs of the world, or the powerful solicitations of the flesh--but according to the holy precepts of the everlasting Gospel. We shall delight in the law of God after the inward man. It will be our food and drink to do the will of our Father.

Our plans will be new. We shall dedicate ourselves, and all we have and are, to the service of that divine Savior who loved us, and gave Himself for us. We shall not be daily occupied in forming plans for worldly pleasure, or projecting schemes for the acquisition of worldly profit; but in devising means for carrying on the cause of truth, and for spreading the knowledge of a crucified Redeemer throughout the earth.

Our prospects will be new. The darkness being past, and the true light now shining--we shall see the distant radiance of the heavenly Zion, and behold, with the telescopic eye of faith, the land which is very far off.

Our privileges will be new.
God will be our reconciled Father.
Jesus will be our Savior and friend.
The Holy Spirit will be our sanctifier and comforter.
And Heaven will be our eternal home!

Our portion will be new. All those exceeding great and precious promises, will be ours. We shall be heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ! We shall be the citizens of the New Jerusalem, and inherit that kingdom that is incorruptible and undefiled, prepared for all the new creatures in Christ Jesus, before the foundation of the world.

To sum up all this blessedness, we shall experience in this world a progression in holiness--and in the world to come, a perpetuity of bliss!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: March 02, 2015, 11:12:47 PM »

An ever-present help in times of trouble!

(Thomas Brooks, "A Word in Season to Suffering Saints")

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior!" Isaiah 43:1-3

This divine presence is the greatest good in the world. The people of the Lord should be very thankful for His presence with them in their greatest troubles and deepest distresses. O Sirs! this divine presence is . . .
  a great mercy,
  a special mercy,
  a distinguishing mercy,
  a big-bellied mercy--which has many mercies in its womb!

It is a mercy-greatening mercy; it greatens all the mercies we enjoy.

It is a mercy-sweetening mercy; it sweetens health, strength, riches, honors, trade, relations, etc.

This divine presence is a soul-mercy, a mercy . . .
  which reaches the soul,
  which cheers the soul,
  which lifts up the soul,
  which quiets the soul,
  which satisfies the soul, and
  which will go to Heaven with the soul.

Will you not be thankful for such a mercy?

Will you be thankful for temporal mercies--and will you not be thankful for spiritual mercies? To enjoy the presence of God when we most need it, is a mercy which deserves perpetual praises. It is the greatest mercy in this world, to enjoy the gracious presence of God in our great troubles and desperate dangers. Therefore be much in blessing God, and in admiring God--for His presence with you in a dark and trying day.

"I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you." Joshua 1:5

"The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress!" Psalm 46:7

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble." Psalm 46:1

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: March 03, 2015, 06:11:01 PM »

The transcendent excellency divine wisdom

(James Smith, "Food for Hungry Souls")

"For wisdom is more profitable than silver, and her wages are better than gold.
 Wisdom is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her.
 She offers you long life in her right hand, and riches and honor in her left.
 She will guide you down delightful paths; all her ways are satisfying.
 Wisdom is a tree of life to those who embrace her; happy are those who hold her tightly!"
Proverbs 3:14-18

See the transcendent excellency divine wisdom.

Men desire health--but bodily health is only for a time.
Divine wisdom gives perpetual health, both of body and soul.

Men desire wealth--but riches are not forever.
Divine wisdom gives unsearchable riches--enduring riches!

Men desire life--but human life is brief.
Divine wisdom gives everlasting life, and life in perfection and interminable blessedness.

Men desire honor--but earthly honor is fading.
Divine wisdom confers the highest honors, associating us in the nearest relation with God, who is the source of all real honor.

Men desire pleasure--but what does earthly pleasure amount to?
Divine wisdom leads . . .
  to rivers of pleasure,
  to oceans of joy,
  to fountains of purest delight!

Men desire fame--but fame among sinners, is but a puff of noisy breath.
Divine wisdom makes us famous, if not on earth--in Heaven; if not in time--in eternity!

If therefore we would possess health and wealth;
if we would live forever, and live forever in honor;
if we would enjoy endless pleasure, and shine among God's worthies
--then we must get wisdom! It is transcendently excellent, for all the world would not purchase it--though God freely gives it! Nor would the possession of the whole world make up for the loss of it--if we neglect and despise it. Nor would a world, or ten thousand worlds, make a man half so happy!

"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom!" Proverbs 4:7

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: March 04, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »

God's love-letter!

(Thomas Brooks, "The Crown and Glory of Christianity,
 or, HOLINESS, the Only Way to Happiness", 1662)

The Scripture is God's love-letter to men.

Here the lamb may wade--and here the elephant may swim!

The blessed Scriptures are of infinite worth and value!
Here you may find . . .
  a remedy for every disease,
  a balm for every wound,
  a plaster for every sore,
  milk for babes,
  meat for strong men,
  comfort for the afflicted,
  support for the tempted,
  solace for the distressed,
  ease for the wearied,
  a staff to support the feeble,
  a sword to defend the weak.

The holy Scriptures are . . .
  the map of God's mercy--and man's misery,
  the touchstone of truth,
  the shop of remedies against all maladies,
  the hammer of vices,
  the treasury of virtues,
  the exposer of all sensual and worldly vanities,
  the balance of equity,
  the most perfect rule of all justice and honesty.

Ah, friends, no book befits your hands like the Bible!

The Bible is the best preacher.
This book, this preacher will preach to you . . .
  in your shops,
  in your chambers,
  in your closets,
  yes, in your own bosoms!
This book will preach to you at home and abroad;
it will preach to you in all companies; and it will
preach to you in all conditions.

By this book you must live.
By this book you must die.
By this book you shall be judged in the great day!
By this book you shall be saved--or by this book you shall be damned!

Oh, therefore . . .
  love this book above all other books,
  prize this book above all other books,
  read this book before all other books,
  study this book more than all other books!
For he who reads much--and understands nothing,
is like him who hunts much--and catches nothing!

"Oh, how I love Your law! I meditate on it all day long!" Psalm 119:97

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: March 05, 2015, 06:00:22 PM »

This incomparable book!

(Thomas Brooks, "Apples of Gold" 1660)

"Oh, how I love Your law! I meditate on it all day long!" Psalm 119:97

The whole of Scripture is but one entire love letter, dispatched from the Lord Christ, to His beloved spouse!

Oh! the mysteries, the excellencies, the glories which are in this incomparable book! There are none so useful, none so needful, none so delightful, none so necessary to make you happy and to keep you happy--as this!

Ah! the Word of the Lord is . . .
  a light to guide you,
  a counselor to counsel you,
  a comforter to comfort you,
  a staff to support you,
  a sword to defend you,
  a physician to cure you!

The Word is . . .
  a mine to enrich you,
  a robe to clothe you,
  a crown to crown you.
  bread to strengthen you,
  wine to cheer you,
  a honeycomb to feast you,
  music to delight you,
  a paradise to entertain you!

Oh! therefore, before all and above all:
  search the Scripture,
  study the Scripture,
  meditate on the Scripture,
  delight in the Scripture,
  treasure up the Scripture!

There is . . .
  no wisdom like Scripture wisdom,
  no knowledge like Scripture knowledge,
  no experience like Scripture experience,
  no comforts like Scripture comforts,
  no delights like Scripture delights,
  no convictions like Scripture convictions,
  no conversion like Scripture conversion!

I exhort you to a speedy, serious, diligent,
and constant study of the Scripture.
Ah! you do not know how soon . . .
  your blind minds may be enlightened,
  your hard hearts may be softened,
  your proud spirits may be humbled,
  your sinful natures may be changed,
  your defiled consciences may be purged,
  your distempered affections may be regulated,
  and your poor souls may be saved . . .
    by searching into the Scriptures,
    by reading the Scripture, and
    by pondering upon the Scripture.

Ah! if you do not in good earnest,
give yourself up . . .
  to the reading,
  to the studying,
  to the pondering,
  to the believing,
  to the practicing,
  to the applying, and
  to the living up to the Scripture--
Satan will be too hard for you,
the world will be too hard for you,
your lusts will be too hard for you,
temptations will be too hard for you,
deceivers will be too hard for you,
and in the end you will be miserable!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: March 06, 2015, 06:22:56 PM »

This book!

(James Smith, "The Way of Salvation Set Forth")

The fountain of divine truth is the Lord Jesus Christ,
the repository of divine truth is the Holy Scriptures,
the proper abode of divine truth is the sinner's heart,
and the sacred revealer of truth is the Holy Spirit.

The Bible contains all necessary truth--and nothing but truth. It was written expressly for sinners, it is freely given to them by God, that they may learn the things which make for their everlasting peace and salvation. It was never designed to gratify the critic's pride, or please the carnal imagination; but it was intended . . .
  to inform the mind,
  to sanctify the heart,
  and to direct the feet.
When we take it up, we should remember that it is a precious gift of God to poor sinners, designed to benefit them, and glorify His holy name.

This book sets before us our true state before God, as sinners:
  cursed,
  loathsome,
  vile,
  unworthy,
  base,
  Heaven-daring,
  wrath-provoking,
  mercy-despising,
  Hell-deserving sinners.

It shows us that . . .
we have come short of the glory of God;
our hearts are depraved beyond description, and vile beyond expression;
the nature of Satan is not actually worse than ours;
instead of having anything to boast of, or pride ourselves in--all that we have and are, is calculated to fill us with shame, confusion, and self-abhorrence!

This book shows us plainly that salvation must be of grace--or not at all. It informs us that by faith in Jesus, we can rise from our dreadful state, and escape our fearful doom. It sets before us . . .
  the provision of divine mercy,
  the contrivance of infinite wisdom,
  and the promises of eternal love.

It exhibits a perfect Savior, suited to our miseries and woes.

It presents to us a salvation . . .
   all of grace,
   to be enjoyed by faith, and
   manifested by good works.
A salvation that . . .
reaches to our present state,
delivers us from all that we have reason to fear,
introduces us to all that we can consistently desire, and
gives us a right to all that God has promised, and that Jesus has procured.

In a word, this blessed Bible tells the poor sinner . . .
  what he is by nature,
  what he must be by grace, and
  then what he will be in glory.

It shows him . . .
nature's deservings,
mercy's way of escape, and
how God is glorified in his present salvation and future glory.

This book exhibits God's . . .
  gracious purposes,
  merciful promises,
  and wise precepts.

It sets forth . . .
the thoughts of God,
the secrets of eternity,
the designs of everlasting love,
the method of salvation,
the saint's privileges and glory,
the impenitent sinner's state, condition and awful doom!

This book  . . .
contains the mind of God;
reveals the way of salvation by Jesus Christ;
teaches the genuine evidences of real Christianity;
is a complete rule of life;
is the charter of the Christian's privileges;
is the casket that contains the jewels of God's promises;
is the light that illumines our path in this dark world; and
marks out as with a sunbeam, the blessed end of the righteous--and the miserable doom of the impenitent sinner. All who live and die without the salvation it makes known--will be cast into outer darkness, where there is eternal weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth!

There is a majesty in the Word of God which the believer sees, and an excellency, and glory which the Heaven-taught sinner discovers. He can no longer trifle with it, despise it, or pour contempt upon it. He views it as of . . .
  infinite importance,
  inconceivable value, and
  exact adapted to himself.
He feels a deep interest in its contents, and is concerned . . .
  to become acquainted with the blessings it reveals,
  to enjoy the privileges it sets forth, and
  escape the threatenings it holds out.

The true Christian . . .
  learns the doctrines with satisfaction,
  believes the promises with joy,
  accepts the invitations with gratitude,
  receives the cautions with fear,
  listens to the exhortations with pleasure,
  walks by the precepts with delight,
  reads it with reverence,
  searches it with diligence, and
  implores the promised teaching and guidance of the Holy Spirit to understand it.

Beware of slighting, despising, or neglecting the Bible.
Read it daily,
pray over it incessantly, and
meditate on what it reveals continually!

"His delight is in the law of the LORD, and on His law he meditates day and night!" Psalm 1:2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: March 07, 2015, 06:15:30 PM »

Our secrets sins!

(Thomas Brooks)

"You have set our iniquities before You, our secrets sins in the light of Your countenance!" Psalm 90:8

God is privy to your most secret sins! His eye is as much upon secret sins, as it is upon open sins. God has an eye upon our inmost evils. He sees all that is done in the dark.

As we are never out of the reach of God's hand,
so we are never from under the view of God's eye.

Oh! what dreadful atheism is bound up in that man's heart, who is more afraid of the eye of his father, his neighbor, his child--than he is of the eye and presence of the eternal God! Those who wallow in secret sins, act as if there were . . .
  no God to behold them,
  nor conscience to accuse them,
  nor judgment-day to arraign them,
  nor justice to condemn them,
  nor Hell to torment them!

All men's secret sins are printed in Heaven, and God will at last read them aloud in the ears of all the world! Though they may escape the eyes of men--yet they shall never escape the judgment of God!

"For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." Ecclesiastes 12:14

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account!" Hebrews 4:13

"Be sure your sin will find you out!" Numbers 32:23

"Cleanse me from secret faults!" Psalm 19:12

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: March 07, 2015, 06:17:28 PM »

Three matchless diadems are waiting for me!

(Alexander Smellie, "The Secret Place" 1907)

It is beyond astonishment, that three matchless diadems are waiting for me!

1. John tells me of the Crown of Life. Revelation 2:10
That is, life at its strongest, its purest, its best. Life buoyant, elastic, unwearied. The griefless life, the sinless life, the deathless life--the life which is life indeed.

The old victory-wreaths faded quickly:
  the roses entwined for the revelers,
  the laurel of the conquering soldier,
  the oak-leaves for the well-deserving citizen of his country,
  the myrtle-sprays which were the bride's adorning,
  the pine-shoots that garlanded the victor in the games.

But of the wreath which Christ has won for me, and which by and by He will place on my brow, I can say, "It will be mine through the ages of the ages!"

2. Peter predicts the Crown of Glory for me. 1 Peter 5:4
Perhaps the reference is to my own person. I shall be transfigured, as my Master was on the Holy Mount. I shall shine forth as the sun in the Kingdom of my Father. Obscured and hidden graces, crude and half-developed virtues--will leap to new effulgence and splendor!

Or perhaps the allusion is to the dominion with which I shall be invested. I shall sit on my Lord's throne. That old kinghood over the world, which my first parents threw wantonly away so long ago, will be restored to me; and I shall reign forever and ever. I can but dimly conceive this Crown of Glory; but the prospect of it should make my heart burn with joy!

3. Paul prefers to think of the Crown of Righteousness. 2 Timothy 4:8
It is not enough that there should be overflowing life. It is not enough that there should be festal gladness and wide-extending rule.
I desire the cessation of iniquity.
I crave the possession of all holiness.
Here on earth, even after precious Blood has redeemed me, and the divine Spirit has made me His temple, I stumble and fall. But there I shall be stainless and spotless. There the banner of the Golden Prince floats from the highest turret, and His sovereignty penetrates to the inmost citadel. It is all as unspotted, as the gates of pearl and the foundations of precious stones. The Crown of Righteousness is the climax and culmination of my hopes!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: March 09, 2015, 08:33:51 PM »

Names!

(William Dyer, "Christ's Famous Titles")

"I will write upon them the name of my God" Revelation 3:12

O there is a great difference between the names of the saints--and the names of the wicked!

The saints are called . . .
  godly, from God;
  Christians, from Christ;
  spiritual, from the Spirit;
  heavenly, from heaven, because their citizenship is there, because their Head is there, and they be heirs of heaven.

But the wicked are called . . .
  devilish, from the devils;
  the cursed, from the curses;
  worldlings, from the world;
  and sinners, from sin.

The ungodly are called . . .
  dogs,
  vipers,
  swine,
  thorns,
  ravening wolves!

But the saints are called . . .
  jewels,
  treasures,
  kings,
  doves,
  lilies,
  heirs of the kingdom of glory!

And hence it is, that some godly men have thought it a greater honor to be a member of Christ--than to be a king upon a throne! Indeed, sirs, a holy heart is better than a great estate!

Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the