Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286802 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356117 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: December 10, 2014, 07:51:12 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

The awful tragedy of Calvary!

("Heavenly Aspirations!" John MacDuff, 1818-1895)

"Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a slave, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to death--even death on a cross!" Philippians 2:6-8

Our Lord's earthly condition was one of extreme poverty. "The foxes had holes, and the birds of the air had nests, but the Son of man had nowhere to lay his head." Not merely did He assume our nature in its lowest form, but He endured opposition, indignities, and sufferings of every kind!
His cheeks were smitten,
His face was spat upon,
His temples were pierced with prickly thorns,
His back was ploughed with scourges,
His hands and feet were fixed with iron spikes to the accursed tree,
His burning thirst was tantalized with vinegar and gall,
His last prayers were turned to ridicule, and
His dying groans were converted into impious mockeries.
Men reviled Him,
Satan buffeted Him; and,
in His last extremity, even God forsook Him!
But He bore it all without a single murmur!

The awful tragedy of Calvary, in all its circumstances of woe, stands in dread prominence above all that the annals of time have ever recorded. Many strange events had taken place before now, but never was there such an event as this! "The sun stopped shining!" Luke 23:45

In the past, the sun shone upon heart-rending spectacles in abundance--but he veiled his face in mourning when the Prince of life expired!
On the disastrous flood,
on the burning cities of the plain,
on the sea-sunk legions of Egypt,
on the armies of Sennacherib prostrate beneath the angel's blast
--he looked down, as it were, with bright indifference. But when the atoning Substitute was suspended on the cross, to gaze at such a spectacle unappalled, was impossible!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: December 11, 2014, 07:00:41 PM »

Not our home!

(David Harsha, "Immanuel's Land")

"For this world is not our home; we are looking forward to our city in Heaven, which is yet to come!" Hebrews 13:14

We are strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

This present world is not our home. We are coming up from the wilderness with our faces Zionward; we are traveling to the Celestial City!

Our path is rough, but the Savior sustains us.

Our pilgrimage lies through a wilderness, but faith cheers us with a view of the glorious rest of the redeemed in our Father's house, in mansions of blessedness!

Let this consideration animate us amid the conflicts of life. In a little while we shall obtain a joyous entrance into the glorious rest above. The storms of life's ocean will soon carry us into the haven of peace, where there is no trouble.

The language of inspiration is, "Get up, go away! For this is not your resting place, because it is defiled, it is ruined beyond all remedy!"

Your Savior, pilgrim Christian, has prepared for you a nobler rest than this polluted world!

In His Father's house are many spacious mansions, where your happy spirit, after tasting the bitter cup of life's sorrow, shall rest in eternal blessedness!

"For this world is not our home; we are looking forward to our city in Heaven, which is yet to come!" Hebrews 13:14

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: December 12, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »

If Jehovah is your God!

(by James Smith)

"I will be their God--and they shall be My people!" Hebrews 8:10

So has Jehovah purposed, in reference to those whom He has eternally loved and chosen. All of our present and future blessedness is wrapped up in this holy and gracious purpose.

If Jehovah is your God--then all of His glorious attributes and perfections are engaged and employed for your eternal welfare!
  His mercy will supply all of your needs.
  His power will conquer all of your foes.
  His wisdom will direct all of your ways.
  His faithfulness will answer all of your prayers.
  His justice will maintain your cause.
  His infinite love and mercy will be displayed in all of His gracious dealings with you!

If Jehovah is your God--then . . .
  His promises are your heritage;
  His precepts are your rule;
  His doctrines are your present paradise;
  His Son is your Savior and King;
  His Spirit is your Sanctifier and Tutor; and
  He Himself is your everlasting portion! Psalm 119:57

If Jehovah is your God--then He will freely confer all really good things on you at present--and crown you at last with eternal glory! He will . . .
  receive you graciously,
  guide you continually,
  chasten you occasionally,
  and bless you indeed!

If Jehovah is your God--then all things are yours--things present and to come; life, death, the world, Heaven--all are yours!

If Jehovah is your God--then He will consider nothing too great to do for you--and nothing too glorious to give to you! All the treasures of time, and all the resources of eternity--will, if necessary, be employed for your spiritual and eternal benefit! You can lack nothing which is really for your good.

To have Jehovah for your God, is the highest blessedness and honor in the universe!

How blessed is the man--who has Jehovah as his God!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: December 13, 2014, 07:18:30 PM »

An easy hell

(Thomas Watson, "The Art of Divine Contentment")

"I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content--whether well-fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need." Philippians 4:11-12

Whatever affliction or trouble a child of God meets with--it is all the hell he shall ever have! Whatever eclipse may be upon his name or estate--it is but a little cloud which will soon be blown over--and then his hell is past!

Death begins a wicked man's hell.
Death ends a godly man's hell.

Think with yourself, "What is my affliction? It is but a temporary hell. Indeed, if all my hell is here on earth--it is but an easy hell. What is the cup of affliction--compared to the cup of damnation!"

Lazarus could not get a crumb; he was so diseased that the dogs took pity on him--and as if they had been his physicians, licked his sores. But this was an easy hell--the angels quickly fetched him out of it!

If all our hell is in this life--and in the midst of this hell, we have the love of God--then it is no more hell, but paradise! If all our hell is here on earth, we may see to the end of it; it is but skin-deep, it cannot touch the soul. It is a short-lived hell. After a dreary night of affliction, comes the bright morning of glory!

Since our lives are short--our trials cannot be long!

As our riches take wings and fly away--so do our sufferings!

Let us learn then, to be content, whatever our circumstances.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: December 13, 2014, 07:20:44 PM »

It takes a long and painful process to purge it out!

(James Smith, "The Love of Christ! The Fullness, Freeness, and Immutability of the Savior's Grace Displayed!")

"I have refined you, but not as silver is refined. Rather, I have refined you in the furnace of suffering!" Isaiah 48:10

The love of Jesus will not preserve His people from trials--but rather, assures them of trials! All whom He loves--He chastens! He has a furnace to purge our dross, and refine our souls. His Word and the Spirit reveal to us our defilement and impurity--and His grace and providence co-operate to remove them. "I am the Lord God who sanctifies you."

It is divine love which . . .
  prepares the furnace,
  kindles the flame,
  brings the Christian into it,
  superintends the whole process, and
  brings him out as gold, seven times purified!

"From all your filthiness and from all your idols, I will cleanse you!" He cleanses them in the laver of the Word by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit. But He also cleanses them by a variety of afflictive dispensations, through which He causes them to pass.

Our sin calls for trials--His love sends them!

Our nature repines at trials--but grace submits to them!

Our corruption is enraged at trials--but the Spirit sanctifies them to our good, and our Savior's glory.

He makes His people choice ones--in the "furnace of affliction!" He says, "I will put you into the fire--and will purge away your dross."

Believer, never repine at your trials, nor be over-anxious for their removal. They are appointed by Jesus as your Purifier--and are choice blessings in disguise!

Seek their sanctification,
wrestle with God that you may see His love in every stroke, and
look to Jesus that you may enjoy His presence when passing through the flame!

Nothing can hurt you--while Jesus is near you; and He is never nearer to you--than when you are in the furnace! For He sits right there as the Refiner . . .
  watching the process,
  regulating the heat, and
  waiting to effect a gracious deliverance--when the ends of His love are answered.

He is only preparing you for fresh manifestations of His glory--and fitting you for larger communications of His love.

In the furnace, you will lose nothing that is worth keeping--but you will obtain what is truly valuable!

The flesh and the soul need constant cleansings--for corruption is so deeply rooted in our nature, that it takes a long and painful process to purge it out! But in reference to the furnace, your Lord says, "The Lord did this to purge Israel's wickedness, to take away all her sin!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: December 15, 2014, 03:38:21 PM »

Are we Christians? Or are we worldlings?

(Horatius Bonar, "Self-Denial Christianity")

"Woe to those who are at ease in Zion!" Amos 6:1

What do we say to . . .
  our self-indulgence,
  our spiritual sloth,
  our love of ease,
  our avoidance of hardship,
  our luxury,
  our pampering of the body,
  our costly feasts,
  our silken couches,
  our brilliant furniture,
  our gay attire,
  our jeweled fingers,
  our idle mirth,
  our voluptuous music,
  our jovial tables, loaded with every variety of rich viands?

Are we Christians? Or are we worldlings?

Where is the self-denial of the New Testament days?

Where is the separation from a self-pleasing luxurious world?

Where is the cross, the true badge of discipleship, to be seen--except in useless religious ornaments for the body, or worse than useless decorations for the sanctuary?

"Woe to those who are at ease in Zion!" Is not this the description of multitudes who name the name of Christ? They may not be "living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry." But even where these are absent, there is 'high living'--luxury of the table or the wardrobe--in conformity to 'this present evil world.'

"At ease in Zion!" Yes! there is the shrinking . . .
  from hard service;
  from 'spending and being spent;'
  from toil and burden-bearing and conflict;
  from self-sacrifice and noble service;
for the Master's sake.

There is conformity to the world, instead of conformity to Christ!
There is a laying down, instead of a taking up of the cross.
Or there is a lining of the cross with velvet, lest it should gall our shoulders as we carry it!
Or there is an adorning of the cross, that it may suite the taste and the manners of our refined and intellectual age.

Anything but the bare, rugged and simple cross!

We think that we can make the strait gate wider, and the narrow way broader, so as to be able to walk more comfortably to the heavenly kingdom. We try to prove that 'modern enlightenment' has so refined 'the world and its pleasures', that we may safely drink the poisoned cup, and give ourselves up to the inebriation of the Siren song.

"At ease in Zion!" Even when the walls of our city are besieged, and the citadel is being stormed!

Instead of grasping our weapons, we lie down upon our couches!

Instead of the armor, we put on the silken robe!

We are cowards, when we should be brave!

We are faint-hearted, when we should be bold!

We are lukewarm, when we should be fervent!

We are cold, when we should be full of zeal!

We compromise and shuffle and make excuses, when we should lift up our voice like a trumpet! We pare down truth, or palliate error, or extenuate sin--in order to placate the world, or suit the spirit of the age, or 'unify' the Church.

Learn self-denying Christianity. Not the form or name, but the living thing. Let us renounce the lazy, luxurious, self-pleasing, fashionable religion of the present day!

A self-indulgent religion has nothing in common with the cross of the Lord Jesus Christ; or with that cross of ours which He has commanded us to take up and carry after Him--renouncing ease and denying self.

Our time,
our abilities,
our money,
our strength--
are all to be laid upon the altar.

"Woe to those who are at ease in Zion!" Amos 6:1

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: December 16, 2014, 01:49:35 PM »

Such poor, depraved, insignificant creatures!

(James Smith, "The Love of Christ! The Fullness, Freeness, and Immutability of the Savior's Grace Displayed!")

"I have loved you, My people, with an everlasting love! With unfailing love, I have drawn you to Myself!" Jeremiah 31:3

The love of Christ is unending; it is not a passion of His humanity--but a perfection of His divinity. He has always existed--and He has always loved His people. His people . . .
  always had a place in His thoughts,
  have ever been before His eye, and
  have always been loved by Him!

He has loved them ever since He knew them--and He knew them from eternity! His love ran through the boundless ages of eternity past--and fixed upon poor sinners who were to appear during the existence of time; and having fixed upon them--His love maintains its hold!

When He created the earth, spread abroad the Heavens, and gave His decree to the sea--His love was fixed upon His people! Their welfare, in connection with His Father's glory--was the object which He sought in all things.

Wonder, O heavens, and be astonished, O earth! That Jesus should have fixed His love upon such poor, depraved, insignificant creatures--and that from eternity past!

When we meditate upon eternity past--we can say in reference to the most distant periods, "My Savior loved me then! He loved me from all eternity!" Glorious truth! He always has loved me--and He always will love me! He loved me . . .
  before angels existed,
  before devils appeared,
  before sin was committed!

He loved me--when the Godhead dwelt all alone! O the depths! Surprising mystery! It seems almost too good to be true! But God has said it, and my soul shall rejoice in it and praise Him for it!

His love to me is as eternal as His nature--without beginning of days, or end of years. From His love, as from a mighty ocean, flows . . .
  all the acts of His power,
  all the displays of His benevolence,
  all the manifestations of His grace, and
  all the provisions of His gospel.

It is sweet to silently meditate upon the thought, of such a vile and insignificant creature as I am--that Jehovah-Jesus not only thought of me--but eternally loved me with all the strength of His Deity! He so loved me, as to be willing, when it became necessary--to take my nature, and to save me by His humiliation, sufferings, and death!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: December 17, 2014, 05:53:30 PM »

All is transparent and harmonious to His eye!

(Octavius Winslow, "My Times in God's Hand!")

We live in a world of mysteries! They . . .
  meet our eye,
  awaken our inquiry, and
  baffle our investigation at every step.

Nature is a vast arcade of mysteries.
Science is a mystery.
Truth is a mystery.
Religion is a mystery.
Our existence is a mystery.
The future of our being is a mystery.

And God, who alone can explain all mysteries, is the greatest mystery of all! How little do we understand of the inexplicable wonders of a wonder working God, "whose thoughts are a great deep," and "whose ways are past finding out."

But to God, nothing is mysterious.
In His purpose, nothing is unfixed.
In His forethought, nothing is unknown.
In His providence, nothing is contingent.

His glance pierces the future as vividly as it beholds the past. "He knows the end from the beginning."

All His doings are parts of a divine, eternal, and harmonious plan!

He may make ''darkness His secret place; His pavilion round about Him dark waters;" and to human vision, His dispensations may appear gloomy, discrepant, and confused. Yet He is "working all things after the counsel of His own will," and all is transparent and harmonious to His eye!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: December 19, 2014, 08:32:22 AM »

He beholds the idol in its natural deformity!

(Thomas Reade)

The converted sinner daily feeds upon Christ by faith--and daily derives strength from this gracious source of blessedness.

He feels his own weakness--and experiences the power of Jesus. He loathes himself--and truly loves his Savior, in whose righteousness he appears all lovely in the eyes of his heavenly Father.

As a pilgrim, he journeys onwards under the guidance of that Holy Spirit who dwells in him as in a temple, and who has promised to keep him by His mighty power through faith unto salvation.

The world fascinates no longer--the mask falls from its face, and he beholds the idol in its natural deformity! He sees . . .
  the emptiness of human applause;
  the madness of ambition;
  the deceitfulness of riches;
  the folly of extravagance.

Everything beneath the sun assumes its true character, while he views it through the medium of God's holy Word.

The converted sinner lives by faith; he longs for Heaven; he desires to be daily conformed to Jesus, and to glorify Him more, whether it be by life or death.

To him, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Such is the character of the converted sinner.

Oh, how precious, how divine, how rare a character!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: December 19, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »

God's love-letter!

(Thomas Brooks, "The Crown and Glory of Christianity,
 or, HOLINESS, the Only Way to Happiness", 1662)

The Scripture is God's love-letter to men.

Here the lamb may wade--and here the elephant may swim!

The blessed Scriptures are of infinite worth and value!
Here you may find . . .
  a remedy for every disease,
  balm for every wound,
  a plaster for every sore,
  milk for babes,
  meat for strong men,
  comfort for the afflicted,
  support for the tempted,
  solace for the distressed,
  ease for the wearied,
  a staff to support the feeble,
  a sword to defend the weak.

The holy Scriptures are . . .
  the map of God's mercy--and man's misery,
  the touchstone of truth,
  the shop of remedies against all maladies,
  the hammer of vices,
  the treasury of virtues,
  the exposer of all sensual and worldly vanities,
  the balance of equity,
  the most perfect rule of all justice and honesty.

Ah, friends, no book befits your hands like the Bible!

The Bible is the best preacher.
This book, this preacher will preach to you . . .
  in your shops,
  in your chambers,
  in your closets,
  yes, in your own bosoms!
This book will preach to you at home and abroad;
it will preach to you in all companies; and it will
preach to you in all conditions.

By this book you shall be saved--or
  by this book you shall be damned!
By this book you must live.
By this book you must die.
By this book you shall be judged in the great day!

Oh, therefore . . .
  love this book above all other books,
  prize this book above all other books,
  read this book before all other books,
  study this book more than all other books!
For he who reads much--and understands nothing,
is like him who hunts much--and catches nothing!

"Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long!" Psalm 119:97

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: December 20, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »

The work of the Holy Spirit

(James Smith, "Rills from the Rock of Ages", 1860)

I love to meditate on the work of the Holy Spirit, from whom we receive such great and invaluable blessings, and to whom we are so much indebted. To Him, I feel that I am indebted for every good thought, and for every good work. How wonderful His patience--that He should bear with me so long; and how wonderful His loving-kindness--that He should confer on me so much! O that I was more deeply sensible of my obligations!

It was the Holy Spirit who quickened me when I was dead in trespasses and sins . . .
  imparting a new life,
  infusing new thoughts, and
  producing new desires in my soul.

Having quickened me, He conquered me, subduing . . .
  the enmity of my heart,
  the obstinacy of my will,
  the worldliness of my affections,
and bringing every thought into subjection to the obedience of Christ.

Having quickened and conquered me, He comforted me, assuring me of a saving interest in . . .
  the love of God,
  the perfect work of Jesus,
  the precious promises of the Word, and
  the eternal rest which remains for the people of God.

Having quickened, conquered, and comforted me, He sanctified me by . . .
  separating me from the world, and
  setting me apart for my Redeemer's glory and praise.

As my Sanctifier, He became my Guide . . .
  leading me into the truth,
  conducting me out of the paths of danger,
  and directing me into the everlasting way.

Not only my guide, but He became my Guard . . .
  preserving me from danger,
  protecting me from foes, and
  becoming a wall of fire round about me.

Whenever I wander--He reproves me; when I willfully go astray--He corrects me, and makes me smart for my folly.

The work He began so long ago--He carries on; nor will He withdraw His hand from it, until it is perfected, and I am fully fitted for glory.

Reader, what do you experimentally know of the work of the Holy Spirit?
Has He quickened you?
Has He conquered you?
Does He comfort you?
Are you sanctified by His presence, power, and operation in your heart?
Does He . . .
  guide you by His counsel,
  guard you by His power, and
  correct you for your follies?

The work of the Spirit within us--is as necessary as the work of Jesus for us! For if the atonement of Christ entitles us to glory--it is the work of the Holy Spirit that prepares us to possess and enjoy it. We must be washed, justified, and sanctified, in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of God--or we cannot be saved!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: December 20, 2014, 06:24:15 PM »

He does as He pleases!

(Arthur Pink, "The Sovereignty of God")

"For the Lord Almighty has purposed--and who can thwart Him?
 His hand is stretched out--and who can turn it back?" Isaiah 14:27

To say that God is sovereign, is to declare that He is the Almighty, the Possessor of all power in Heaven and earth--so that none can . . .
  defeat His counsels,
  thwart His purpose,
  or resist His will.

Whatever takes place in time--is but the outworking of that which He has decreed in eternity.

The sovereignty of the God of Scripture, is . . .
  absolute,
  irresistible
  and infinite!

We insist that God does . . .
  as He pleases,
  only as He pleases,
  always as He pleases!

"But our God is in the heavens--He has done whatever He has pleased!" Psalm 115:3

"The Lord does whatever pleases Him, in the Heavens and on the earth, in the seas and all their depths!" Psalm 135:6

"All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as He pleases with the powers of Heaven and the peoples of the earth. No one can hold back His hand or say to Him: What have you done?" Daniel 4:35

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: December 23, 2014, 04:33:20 PM »

He is the infinite, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, gracious, just, holy, and unchangeable I AM!

(James Smith, "The Love of Christ!")

"Having loved His own who were in the world--He loved them unto the end!" John 13:1

The Lord Jesus Christ is God--possessed of all divine attributes, and entitled to all divine honors. He is one with the Father and the Holy Spirit--God over all, and blessed for evermore! He is naturally, essentially, perfectly, and eternally possessed of everything peculiar to Deity.

He owes His existence to none. He says, "I am Jehovah, and beside Me there is no Savior!" He is God--and there is no other. There is no other name given under Heaven, or among men, whereby we can be saved. He is the Rock of Ages. He is the infinite, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, gracious, just, holy, and unchangeable I AM!

Angels worship Him,
devils obey Him,
saints love Him, and
sinners will bow to Him!

He is the author of . . .
  Creation,
  Providence,
  Redemption,
  and Glorification!

He . . .
  produced all things by His power,
  formed them by His wisdom,
  supplies them by His bounty,
  rules them by His instruments, and
  employs them according to His sovereign will.

He is above all--in the glory of His nature.
He possesses all--by essential right.
He will judge all--according to His righteousness.

All things are dependent upon Him, and all rational beings are accountable to Him.

Nothing can escape His eye; none can escape out of His hand!

He is exalted above all, and remains King forever!

He is . . .
  the King of kings,
  the Lord of lords, and
  the only supreme Law-giver of the universe!

He is naturally, essentially, and eternally God:
  one with the Father,
  equal to the Father,
  and infinite as the Father.

Thus, the Scriptures reveal Him; as such, saints acknowledge Him, and join the angelic host in worshiping, praising, and adoring Him!

As such, He loves all His people--yes, He is love to them.

As such, they love Him--and trust their eternal interests into His hands!

No person can have right views of the love of Christ--who has not right views of the deity of Christ. His divinity gives lustre and glory--to His love. If He were not God--His love would be only a passion like ours, and would fluctuate and change. But being divine--His love is an infinite perfection, and remains immutably the same!

He loves His redeemed people with all the majesty of God--and with all the tenderness of man!

His love has the strength of God--and the gentleness of sinless man!

He is all-loving--and altogether lovely!

"Yes, He is altogether lovely! This is my Beloved, this is my Friend!" Song of Solomon 5:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: December 23, 2014, 04:36:33 PM »

Who could have thought!

"But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by men and despised by the people!" Psalm 22:6

How wondrously did Jesus display His love, when He . . .
  assumed our nature,
  took upon Him the form of a slave, and
  was found in appearance as a man!

What love--to stoop so low as to . . .
  be conceived in a virgin's womb,
  be brought forth in pain, and
  experience all the weakness and ignorance of infancy!

Yes, He was brought forth in poverty--a stable for His birth-place, and a feeding-trough for His bed! He passed by the palaces of the noble, and the mansions of the great--yes, even the comfortable cottages of the poor--and was born in circumstances of misery and degradation!

Who could have thought, if they had entered that stable and seen that infant nursing on His mother's bosom--that that infant was the mighty God, the everlasting Father, and the Prince of peace! That all the fullness of the Godhead dwelt in that little babe! That it was love--incomparable and inconceivable love, which brought Deity and humanity together in such a wonderful and indescribable union! This is the mystery of Godliness--the mystery of love! He left . . .
  the bright abodes of blessedness and glory,
  the songs of Cherubim and Seraphim,
  the bosom of His Father, and
  the infinite delights which He had eternally enjoyed--
to be a worm and not a man; to be scorned and despised by all!

What privations He suffered, even from the very beginning of His career on earth! What pain He endured--from His birth unto His death! He went sorrowing, sighing, and groaning--from the stable, to gloomy Calvary; where He . . .
  finished His work,
  proved His love,
  conquered His foes,
  delighted His Father, and
  merited everlasting honors and glories for His people!

Jesus was once a helpless infant, a feeble child; and yet, at the same moment--He was the Almighty, the self-sufficient God!

O mystery of mercy!

Here is love beyond measure and degree!

O my soul, admire and adore!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: December 27, 2014, 01:09:42 PM »

10 Questions to Ask at a Christmas Gathering
(Don Whitney)

Many of us struggle to make conversation at Christmas gatherings, whether church events, work-related parties, neighborhood drop-ins, or annual family occasions. Sometimes our difficulty lies in having to chat with people we rarely see or have never met.

At other times we simply don't know what to say to those with whom we feel little in common. Moreover, as Christians we want to take advantage of the special opportunities provided by the Christmas season to share our faith, but are often unsure how to begin.

Here's a list of questions designed not only to kindle a conversation in almost any Christmas situation, but also to take the dialog gradually to a deeper level. Use them in a private conversation or as a group exercise, with believers or unbelievers, with strangers or with family.

1.  What's the best thing that's happened to you since last Christmas?
    2.  When was your best Christmas ever? Why?
    3.  What's the most meaningful Christmas gift you've ever received?
    4.  What was the most appreciated Christmas gift you've ever given?
    5.  What was your favorite Christmas tradition as a child?
    6.  What is your favorite Christmas tradition now?
    7.  What do you do to try to keep Christ in Christmas?
    8.  Why do you think people started celebrating the birth of Jesus?
    9.  Do you think the birth of Jesus deserves such a worldwide celebration?
    10. Why do you think Jesus came to earth?

Of course, remember to pray before your Christmas gatherings.  Ask the Lord to grant you "divine appointments," to guide your conversations, and to open doors for the gospel. May He use you to bring glory to Christ this Christmas.

Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the