Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:23:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "NO MORE TITHING"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "NO MORE TITHING"  (Read 21854 times)
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2003, 07:56:10 PM »

Actually, I very rarely give to a church. I give to specific foundations and people where I believe my money will do the most good. I do think as Jabez said, that our giving must come from where we're led to give.
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2003, 02:04:44 AM »

AMEN!  We have so many needy people in the world today.  And, many of them live quite close to us!  By allowing Father God to have control, we have no problem as to how to tithe.  
He promps, and we see the need and do the deed.
That's just my view for what it's worth.

Love...Tamara.
kev

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2003, 10:49:37 AM »

Hello everyone! I am new to the boards, but I have been struggling with this aspect of my Christian walk for a few weeks now. I have been giving 10% for a while now, but lately I question why I do it. I am not saying that we shouldn't give to the church. I fell like the church needs our offerings to support Gods church.
My question is why do we tithe 10%...and not say 5 or 15%?
It would seem like Jesus would have flat out told us in the NT to tithe 10% to support his kingdom. But I can't find a reference in the NT supporting the 10% tithe. In fact, it's hard to find verses relating to tithing money in general.

I feel like I do not give cheerfully right now, and wonder why I give 10% if God knows I do it begrudgingly(sp?).
But, I also feel like it is something I have done for so long and that God expects his people to sacrifice for him on this earth and that if I gave a little less, I would be giving my love to money and not my Father.

Any viewpoints would be welcomed! Everyone, have a blessed day!!
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2003, 10:33:26 PM »

Welcome Kev!

What I'd like to know about tithing is...when did it become a tithe of money?  It was always produce in the Old Testament!
Jesus stated "It is when you give of yourselves that you TRULY give".  
The churches to me seem to have become quite rich on the money tithe law.  But...when did Jesus tell us to tithe money?
We are under the Law of Grace now...

Love...Tamara.
kev

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2003, 09:45:12 AM »

Tamara,
  Thanks for your response. I agree with the money issue and the NT. It is REALLY a source of struggle for me right now.
I think I know the "logical" answer - which is too give from the heart and not from a "traditional OT" Law.

I don't really have a problem in thinking that the "church" is hoarding the money and getting rich off of it. The church I am in is a good one...so no worries there. Our pastor, who is great, does preach 10%. But I just continue to ask why?Huh
I wish Jesus would have just said give me my 10%!!!! Smiley Smiley

But my spirit...or atleast I think it is, is saying give to God
what you should give to him. I feel like I would be giving back
to myself so I can buy small material things instead of investing earnings into God's kingdom.

I am really at a crossroads as I just found out my bank account is negative and I wonder what I should do.
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2003, 12:51:50 PM »

Kev i feel ya,i dont know how many times ive looked at my bank statement and seen negaitive bal,its a terrible feeling.Lately it hasnt bothered me i just praise GOD and i feel great.As far as tithing the best thing i can think of to do is,pray ask for GOD to lay it upon your heart you will know.Just lift your hands and praise GOD in the mist of troubles!Remember GOD is for you!

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2003, 06:13:54 PM »

Hi Kev! Hi Jabez!

We are not commanded to give 10% of our earnings to any church.  We are asked to give what we can to help.  Jesus would never place us in such a situation as that is binding us to a religious law pharaseeical Law.
It was Jesus who set us FREE from these things.
We are under no other obligation to anyone to give 10% of our money.
We are asked to love one another.  So, are you sure the Lord has laid it on you heart?
We are not under O.T. law anymore.  We are under the Law of Grace.  Jesus stated "It is when you give OF YOURSELF that you truly give."
Hey guys!  Jesus died to set us free!  We have the 10 Commandments written on our hearts now, NOT on stone...and the 10% tithing is obsolete.
Give love...give money as you can afford it.  Jesus also stated "I would that you should have GOOD HEALTH"

Do you think he'd have you worrying about your bank balances?  He gave you your money to care for YOURSELVES and your family FIRST!  

Love...Tamara.

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2003, 07:13:35 PM »

Embarrassed I have a slightly different view on that - we're told to give our "firstfruits" to God, our "firstborn". When the Jews brought their offerings, it was the best of their harvest, the healthiest of their flocks, not table scraps and deformed lambs. I believe we are to trust that God will take care of us. We don't often see how much God can work in our lives until we give our best to Him, and trust that He will provide for our every need. (Not that we should go flinging our paycheck to every TV preacher that wants our money, of course.  Grin)

I certainly agree that Jesus doesn't ask us to give only money; our time and talents are also very important to Him. But money plays a vital role in our Christian life.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2003, 10:35:15 PM »

We are no longer under jewish law Willow.  They were asked to do many things.  And what happened?  Today, we are simply asked to act in Love.  We are under no commandment, not any obligation to pay one cent to any church.  If we see the need, we do the deed...in love.

Tamara.
kev

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2003, 11:27:39 AM »

Thanks tamara & willow.
I truly understand both viewpoints...please keep posting on this topic as I feel it is a very real issue in Christians'
lives. Have a GREAT day guys & gals!!!
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2003, 01:24:56 PM »

We are no longer under jewish law Willow.  They were asked to do many things.  And what happened?  Today, we are simply asked to act in Love.  We are under no commandment, not any obligation to pay one cent to any church.  If we see the need, we do the deed...in love.

Tamara.
Yes!  Grin When the early Christians gave to the church, they gave as they felt lead; some sold everything, some didn't. When Ananias and Saphira (sp?) were struck down, it was not simply because they didn't give all their profit to the church, but because they promised and didn't fulfill what they'd vowed.

P.S. Amen we aren't under Jewish law! (I've got a lot of bacon and rabbit in the freezer I wouldn't be able to eat, lol)

P.S.S. I still think we ought to give as we see a need. Not a specific percentage, not to a specific place, but to help our brethren.  Grin

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2003, 01:34:30 PM »

True!

kev

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2003, 02:51:52 PM »

It seems like most of you guys believe that the 10% allocation has been abolished by the NT. It seems fairly obvious to me, so why is this still preached so heavily?
I know some churches need the money, but not all do.
So why does the traditional Christians preach the 10% tithe
still exists? It makes me feel like I am not giving what I should
if I don't give a full 10%.

Thanks again to all, and look forward to more views.
Kev
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2003, 08:05:50 PM »

We are not under jewish law!

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2003, 08:12:33 AM »

We are not under jewish law!

You Got That Right Smiley

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the