Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:29:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Television (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Dragon Ball?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dragon Ball?  (Read 1973 times)
Supercryptid

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2006, 12:41:22 AM »

Before I go any further, I'll explain what Dragon Ball is to those who haven't heard of it: Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT are related cartoon shows where various characters, alien and otherwise, use powers that are based on "ki" or "chi", which is the supposed "life force" of a person. The heroes train physically in order to increase the power of their chi, so that they can be strong enough to defeat the villains, which also use chi. That's a greatly simplified view of it.

NOW FOR THE ISSUE AT STAKE:

Alright, I've gotten myself into a bit of a conundrum. You see, I've been a fan of the Dragon Ball series for quite some time now, but I'm beginning to question whether or not it is appropriate for me to be exposed to it. My main concern is the "chi" that is in it. Chi is an element in Buddhism, a non-Christian religion. The chi in Dragon Ball is similar in some ways and different in other ways, to the Buddhist chi. The chi in Dragon Ball is treated as if it were simple, normal energy that exists in a person's body. It's treated as if it were just a "super power", like Superman has, and has no blatant spiritual aspect. The chi can be raised to levels high enough to destroy planets, and the ki is usually visible as glowing balls or beams. In Buddhism, chi is taken to have a much deeper, spiritual aspect, and is much more limited than Dragon Ball chi in power and appearance. Despite these differences, the chi in Dragon Ball is still based on the Buddhist version of chi.

I've tried to justify it by saying that Dragon Ball chi isn't a realistic portrayal of what chi is supposed to be, and therefore is not pagan. That justification still seems lacking to me though. Also, Dragon Ball features reincarnation, another Buddhism attribute, as well as dragons (you could tell that from the title) that grant wishes like genies. I've read statements made by many Christians who were also fans of Dragon Ball, who said that it is ficitional and is therefore okay. That still doesn't sound quite right.

Now, I've purchased a lot of Dragon Ball merchandise, so I've spent quite a bit of money on this series. Therefore, I want to be certain that I should give it up before I start getting rid of the merchandise.

Comments?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 01:30:50 AM »

The things that a person sees and hears does have an effect on their inward being. Our eyes and ears are the portals of all that enter into us. If we are to keep ourselves clean within then we need to insure all that we see and hear are Godly things not the sinful things of the world.

Mat 23:25  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
Mat 23:26  Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 09:30:03 PM »

Supercryptid this is the way of this world. To get you to look and focus on other things, besides God. That is one of the reasons, I don't really watch TV. Getting involved in these type of programs, can lead you astray, my brother/sister. That is what satan wants, from Christians.

I will be praying for you, that you can rid yourself of these type of programs.

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 09:31:45 PM by DreamWeaver » Logged

Supercryptid

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 09:31:28 PM »

Alright, I'm probably going to stop getting involved in it. So what do I do with the Dragon Ball merchandise? Store it away in the attic? Sell it? Burn it?
angelmom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 09:51:30 PM »

I have a question!
My son love dragon ball Z, Pokemon and Yu-GI
He has like over 800 Yu-Gi tradeing cards.

I have never given a thought to this being a bad thing! Am I wrong. Form what I have read here, looks like I am!?

angelmom
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 10:02:49 PM »

Alright, I'm probably going to stop getting involved in it. So what do I do with the Dragon Ball merchandise? Store it away in the attic? Sell it? Burn it?

You need to figure out what God tells your heart to do with them. That is the best that I can tell you.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 10:14:05 PM »

I have a question!
My son love dragon ball Z, Pokemon and Yu-GI
He has like over 800 Yu-Gi tradeing cards.

I have never given a thought to this being a bad thing! Am I wrong. Form what I have read here, looks like I am!?

angelmom

A child's mind is very pliable. What ever we feed that mind will have an influence on the way that mind will think and work. If it is fed the things of the world, then it will be concerned with the things of the world. If it is fed with things that edify it in the Lord then that mind will be concerned with the things of the Lord and will grow in the Lord.

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 03:08:40 PM »

Dragon Ball is stupid. If you want real anime, watch Evangelion. That'll change your life.

Seriously.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the