Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:03:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286811 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Whats the point of christians gathering for potlucks and such? Honestly.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whats the point of christians gathering for potlucks and such? Honestly.  (Read 1334 times)
Ben

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2005, 05:17:11 PM »

The people of my church are gathering for a soups on event tonight. I rhought it was a good thing an oppotunity for believers to gather in a social event and maybe even bring some new people to share in food and share in time with the Lord's people. and possible see some of jesus in us.

When I asked one of our congregation members if he was coming. He responded by saying " Whats the point if it's just food I can do that at home" I said for the fellowship. He said " is it really" I didn't know how to respond to this. I always thought it was a good thing when Christians gathered.
I would appreciate comments and any scripture verses. I looked at Naves topical bible under fellowship but it really wasn't a lot of help.
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 05:50:28 PM »

I believe the strongest verse that i've found is is in Hebrews 10:24-26

"And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works. Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: an so much the more, as ye see the day approaching"

that to me says that we shouldn't pass up any opportunity to fellowship with fellow believers. However, I understand certain circumstances may present themselves that render someone unable to fellowship with fellow christians, however, the excuse, and i say excuse because it is one, "why do it when i can do it at home" makes me wonder a little bit...lol. As a child of God personally, I enjoy it when i'm around fellow christians. There is a sense of familiarity and God has a habit of doing things within groups of believers that he might not do otherwise. The journey we began when we were born again isn't one that we were meant to do by ourselves. That's why we should fellowship with other believers and minister to them as well as they minister to us. Don't take my word for it...but just a few thoughts. Have a great one.

Coram Deo,
Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 05:51:26 PM »

1Pe 4:8  And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
1Pe 4:9  Use hospitality one to another without grudging.

Act 2:42  And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

1Jo 1:6  If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1Jo 1:7  But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Act 2:46  And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

These are just a few of the verses that have to do with fellowship. Also read the book of Philippians.

Take note also that the Apostles always broke bread (also referred to as communion) in fellowship every where they went along with their preaching.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 06:03:25 PM »

i forgot to mention that potlucks are normally great food too...hee hee. As one who's going into the ministry, i've had the taste of potlucks and I love them...i'll be sure not to eat too much...hee hee. :-) Have a good one.

Coram Deo,
Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
M

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 06:11:08 PM »

Sounds like this guy might just be a loner type.  That is fine too.  Churches need to be inclusive of all types of personalities.  

Some people find that making conversation with others is just difficult or uncomfortable.   Many people like this find it easier to be busy working at an activity such as setting up tables and chairs, cleaning up after or maybe cooking.  

It is a good thing for Christians to gather together as the scriptures say.  Getting to know each other helps us to aid each other and know where to put people in ministries that best use their special and unique talents.  
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 08:56:46 PM »

Ben, though I myslf am basically a shut in. I do enjoy the company for my kind (Christians.)

Psalm 55:14 We had sweet fellowship together and used to walk to the house of God in company.

Acts 2:42 And they steadfastly persevered, devoting themselves constantly to the instruction and fellowship of the apostles, to the breaking of bread [including the Lord's Supper] and prayers.

1 Corinthians 10:16 The cup of blessing [of wine at the Lord's Supper] upon which we ask [God's] blessing, does it not mean [that in drinking it] we participate in and share a fellowship (a communion) in the blood of Christ (the Messiah)? The bread which we break, does it not mean [that in eating it] we participate in and share a fellowship (a communion) in the body of Christ?
Note: this verse means more to me, because I am a shut-in.

Ephesians 2:22 In Him [and in fellowship with one another] you yourselves also are being built up [into this structure] with the rest, to form a fixed abode (dwelling place) of God in (by, through) the Spirit.

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

TEXASGRANDMA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 02:18:48 AM »

It is so much more comfortable to share your heartaches with someone you have broken bread with.
betty

hugs and prayers,
Betty
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 04:21:02 PM »

Fellowship with other Christians is essential for spiritual growth.

Yes, I WAS the one who said that.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 05:21:55 PM »

It is so much more comfortable to share your heartaches with someone you have broken bread with.
betty

May I add to share with, not just the heartaches, but in all things good also.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 05:22:57 PM »

Wink Wink Wink Wink

Cheesy Cheesy

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 10:35:01 PM »

Exit stage right..... Wink

Sapphire,great to see you again. Cheesy

TalkerCat
Gold Member

ON FIRE FOR THE LORD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 11:15:50 PM »

I love the potlucks and social gatherings with my church family.  We even have Saturday Night Movies for families and children.  These events give us time to socialize and have candid conversation with the pastor, his wife and the elders.  

Blessings -

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 08:09:20 AM »

ROFL! The 8th wonder of the world!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 11:04:55 AM »

ROFL! The 8th wonder of the world!

Wink Grin Grin Grin

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 11:24:43 AM »

Ben, welcome to CU...
As for the pot lcuk dinners, there maybe a lot of things I might not eat, but I sure do love the fellowship.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the