Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:33:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Critical Update for Windows Media Player Script Commands
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Critical Update for Windows Media Player Script Commands  (Read 14810 times)
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2005, 10:27:09 PM »

HELP!

Does anyone know why my computer keeps downloading this critical update-----------------5 times now, and W.U. says once it's downloaded it cannot be removed.  How do I stop it from downloading and installing?  When I go to W.U., it's still there saying I need to download and install.  To top it off, the Media Player has never worked, either.  Example, if a web page says I can see a video presentation, I follow the directions.  It buffers and then stops-----------no video!  I'm running IE6, Windows Millinium.  Don't tell me to switch to XP, OK!

Any help would be appreciated.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 10:34:09 PM »

Check out the following site to see if it has your answer.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5bLN%5d;828026

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 10:52:20 PM »

Check out the following site to see if it has your answer.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5bLN%5d;828026

Thanks, but I've been there.  There was an article about drivers doing this, but nothing about this critical update doing it.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 11:33:59 PM »

It sounds as if your media player or I.E may be corrupt. What version media player are you using? If it is an older version you might try downloading and installing a newer version. If it is the I.E. you might want to try using Firefox. It has a lot fewer problems than I.E.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 11:51:11 PM »

It sounds as if your media player or I.E may be corrupt. What version media player are you using? If it is an older version you might try downloading and installing a newer version. If it is the I.E. you might want to try using Firefox. It has a lot fewer problems than I.E.

Quite awhile back I switched over to Firefox, I think......Mozilla too, I think, but didn't like either, so went back to IE.  All of these problems started when I updated to WMP9 on Oct. 2nd.  I installed that, plus Media 9 Codec package...........all downhill from there.  I just shut down my automatic update so it wouldn't keep updating, but I have 5 of the Script Commands installed now.  Something strange going on for sure.  Unsavvy me says............how do I UNCORRUPT that which might be corrupted? Grin Grin  I knew I shouldn't have asked that!!!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 12:04:56 AM »

I knew I shouldn't have asked that!!!
Cheesy Cheesy

There are several ways. The most severe of which is reformatting your disk drive and reloading everything. Some easier ways to try are some tune up programs. Norton utilities is one, I use Registry Mechanic but there are some similar ones that are freeware that do a good job of fixing minor problems. Another way would be to do a System Restore to a time frame prior to when you first started having the problem. Personally I would try the System Restore first.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 12:22:26 AM »

I knew I shouldn't have asked that!!!
Cheesy Cheesy

There are several ways. The most severe of which is reformatting your disk drive and reloading everything. Some easier ways to try are some tune up programs. Norton utilities is one, I use Registry Mechanic but there are some similar ones that are freeware that do a good job of fixing minor problems. Another way would be to do a System Restore to a time frame prior to when you first started having the problem. Personally I would try the System Restore first.

OK...........first things first.  I use CCleaner (free).  It's the same one BEP uses.  He told me about it a while back.  I use it a couple of times a day...........it's very quick and has found some problems.  They're all fixed, so I guess that leaves Norton (which I don't have) and System Restore.  

I have to give up the computer room for the night, so am going to say good night.

I've never done a system restore.  Wanna give me some pointers?

I'll be back on tomorrow, I hope!  Good night for now and thanks.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 12:40:41 AM »

As a ME user i know this one. Click on start, go to system tools, click on system restore.
A menu will come up, and ask you when to restore to. If I do this, I go back to the first week, I kept. Yes, I loose a few programs, but it is worth it. I hope you downloaded, one file, you needed before installing media player 9. If you didn't, you will not be able to restore your system.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 12:42:26 AM »

To Run System Restore program click on

“Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore”, and you will get a menu. On this menu select “Restore my computer to earlier time” and click next. This step to choose a restore point in the process presents the user with a calendar interface to help select the desired restore point. Days in which restore points were created are presented in bold. Select Date and hit next. You will get a warning, click “OK” and then hit “NEXT”.

The progress indicator completes and the computer is restarted with the new configuration.  There is no cancel button to interrupt the process at this stage. If the computer loses power or is restarted, the restore will be reverted when Windows starts next – that is, the system will be set back to the state from just before the restore attempt was made.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 01:19:14 AM »

Hello Sister Chris,

Here's a few thoughts:

First, on installation of new programs, have you ever noticed how many of them say to turn off other running programs first to avoid conflicts? I do manual Windows updates for that very reason, and I do try to turn off as many other running programs as possible.

Second, you probably already know which program is causing the problems. If the system restore doesn't work, go to the add/remove programs, remove, Windows media player, run CCleaner, reboot, and install Windows media player again. It sounds like something got corrupted in the Windows update, and that's fairly common for a lot of people. As a result, many people have automatic updates turned off.

Third, the automatic update could have corrupted your Windows installer. The repeated looping of trying to install the same program just might be evidence of that. So, get the latest version of Windows installer, install it, and reboot.

These are just a few more ideas. I hope that one of them helps.

Final note:  DO NOT send Bill Gates a Christmas card this year!  Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

Titus 3:4-7 NASB  But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 01:23:51 AM »

Final note:  DO NOT send Bill Gates a Christmas card this year!

Grin Grin Grin

Or any other year.

Grin Grin Grin

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 01:48:55 AM »

Final note:  DO NOT send Bill Gates a Christmas card this year!

Grin Grin Grin

Or any other year.

Grin Grin Grin

AMEN!

Grin Grin Grin

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 01:12:46 PM »

As a ME user i know this one. Click on start, go to system tools, click on system restore.
A menu will come up, and ask you when to restore to. If I do this, I go back to the first week, I kept. Yes, I loose a few programs, but it is worth it. I hope you downloaded, one file, you needed before installing media player 9. If you didn't, you will not be able to restore your system.

#1.............DreamWeaver.............you are in my prayers.  I didn't forget about you.  I will continue to pray that the reinsertion of the rod is successful.

You, DW, are the only other person I know who uses Millinium.  A very long time ago people told me to switch because Mil. wasn't very good.  I switched to XP Pro and did not like it at all.  Went back to Millinium.  I'm really wondering why most people don't like Millinium.  I guess I'm asking you why you like it?

You said you hoped I downloaded one file before installing MP9.  I'm not sure what you mean.  Here's what I installed, and when I installed it, in the following order:  (see NOTE below)

Thursday, August 11, 2005  (automatic update)
Cumulative Security Update for IE6 Service Pack 1

Sunday, October 2, 2005  (Web site)
Windows Media 9 Series Codec Install Package

Sunday, October 2, 2005  (Web site)
Windows Media Player 9 Series

Tuesday, October 4, 2005  (Web site)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 Series

Tuesday, October 4, 2005  (Web site)
Critical Update for Windows Media Player Script Commands

Tuesday, October 4, 2005  (automatic update)
Critical Update for Windows Media Player Script Commands (this installed itself automatically after I had already manually installed it)

Friday, October 7, 2005 (Web site)  (The icon appeared on my tool bar to update.  I didn't realize I was installing the Critical Update for Windows Media Player Script Commands for the 3rd time) duh!!! Grin

Saturday, October 8, 2005  (automatic update)
Same as above............4th installation

Monday, October 10, 2005  (automatic update)
Same as above.............5th time.

I turned off automatic updating  (finally, a light turned on in this old brain  Grin)

NOTE:  On September 24th or 25th I visited the ShieldsUp site and had them test my computer.  Mostly everything was OK, with the exception of port 1027 being open.  I was told not to worry about it (by someone else) because I'm on dial-up.  I would still like to close it but don't know how.  Do you know how to do this?

Read on to my posts to PR and BEP.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 01:32:21 PM »

PR,

Read my above post to DW and my following post to BEP, okay.

I successfully restored my computer to October 1, 2005.  After doing so, I updated AVG, AdAware, and defragged.  I returned to Windows Update.  Everything looked good.  Seemed to be back to before I downloaded and installed the updates.  I went to "Installation History".  Here's what it said:  If you subsequently restored (ah, what a peaceful word Smiley) your computer, or reinstalled or uninstalled programs, some items listed here MIGHT (a key word) no longer be installed on your computer.  ALL of the previous installs are listed, even though the computer was successfully restored.  Windows DID say that once the "Script Commands" were installed, (at installation time), they could not be removed.  Does this mean they (all 5 of the same ones) are still there, taking up storage room on my computer, even though the system was restored?  Does it matter?  

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 01:54:42 PM »

Hello Sister Chris,

Here's a few thoughts:

First, on installation of new programs, have you ever noticed how many of them say to turn off other running programs first to avoid conflicts? I do manual Windows updates for that very reason, and I do try to turn off as many other running programs as possible.

Second, you probably already know which program is causing the problems. If the system restore doesn't work, go to the add/remove programs, remove, Windows media player, run CCleaner, reboot, and install Windows media player again. It sounds like something got corrupted in the Windows update, and that's fairly common for a lot of people. As a result, many people have automatic updates turned off.

Third, the automatic update could have corrupted your Windows installer. The repeated looping of trying to install the same program just might be evidence of that. So, get the latest version of Windows installer, install it, and reboot.

These are just a few more ideas. I hope that one of them helps.

Final note:  DO NOT send Bill Gates a Christmas card this year!  Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

Titus 3:4-7 NASB  But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Sister BEP, ( Grin)

Yes to your first question.  Here's what I have at the bottom of my computer:  volume icon, mouse icon, AVG icon, modem on hold icon, printer icon, and my dial-up icon.  Are these OK to leave there when I install from Windows Update?  I never removed them in the past. They never seemed to hinder the downloads and installs.

The system restore apparently worked.  (Are you calling the installation of the "Script Commands" a program?  If so, then yes, that is the problematic program.

The repeated looping didn't TRY to install.  It DID.

What do you mean by "getting the latest version of Windows installer?"

PS...........BEP, DW, and PR..............Did you know that Bill Gates is Jewish?  Does this change anything in reference to sending him a Christmas card? Wink Grin Grin Lips Sealed

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the