Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:23:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  IS SATURDAY THE CHRISTIAN SABBATH?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IS SATURDAY THE CHRISTIAN SABBATH?  (Read 14680 times)
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2003, 08:14:53 PM »

IS SATURDAY THE CHRISTIAN SABBATH?

We know that Saturday was the Jewish Sabbath, being the last day of the week; but is it the Christian Sabbath? Some believe that the Emperor Constantine changed the sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, but that God’s command is still to keep Saturday. Others believe that Christ changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday; therefore we should observe Sunday. Neither of these suppositions is correct. God never changed the sabbath from Saturday to another day. Neither did He give a sabbath day to the Body of Christ to keep. When professing Christians either continued, or began keeping, sabbath days, it was an indication to Paul that they had never under-stood the grace of God and that his labour had been in vain upon them. Listen to his words:

"Ye observe days,—I am afraid for you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain." (Gal. 4:10-11).

"Let no man judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ." (Col. 2:16-17.)

A few years before Paul wrote these words, he could have been lawfully stoned to death for such teaching; for according to the law of Moses, a man was to be judged for these very things. But Christ had died and had become the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth (Rom. 10:4). Some try to argue that Christ became the end only of the ceremonial law, but that the sabbath along with the other nine commandments is still in effect. This is refuted by the Bible in several ways. First, the Apostle classes "sabbath keeping" with the other ceremonies which were shadows of good things to come, and emphatically denounces the keeping of the legal sabbath. Secondly, although some contend that the sabbath was given to Adam 2500 years before Moses and was therefore not a part of the law, the Bible makes it plain from Exodus 16:29; Ezekiel 20:12: and Nehemiah 9:10-12 that it was not given for man to keep until the law was given to Moses, and hence was one of those things written upon tables of stone which was "done away", "abolished" (II Corinthians 3:7-12). It is plainly stated in Exodus 31 that the sabbath was a sign between Jehovah and the children of Israel (verses 12 to 17). Thirdly, the teaching of Paul as to how the law was put aside is most conclusive. God put the law aside by causing it to judge us, condemn us, and put us to death in the person of a Substitute; so that we "are become dead to the law by the body of Christ," and "the law hath dominion over a man (only) as long as he liveth" (Rom. 7:1-4). It is because we died to the world of sin and of religious practices that we are no longer to be judged by such things (see Colossians 2:20; Galatians 2:20; etc.). The believer is dead, buried and risen with Christ. The sabbath was buried with Christ: Read Colossians 2:14

No one ever enjoyed the true sabbath rest by keeping of a day (Hebrews 4:4-11); for all who do such are working to keep the sabbath day; but it is necessary to cease from all our works, as God did, to have real rest. The sabbath days were a shadow of Christ. He has done all the work, so that we now find our rest in Him. He is our Sabbath. We can now come unto Him and rest. He died under the Law and was in the grave on the sabbath. He arose the Head of a new creation on the first day of the week, and it is for that reason that we, as members of that new creation, meet upon that day to preach the Word. (Acts 20:6, 7; I Corinthians 16:2; etc.).

by Charles F. Baker

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 02:49:43 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Ambassador4Christ,

AMEN! Brother.

We rest, safe and secure, in the Hands of CHRIST, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are also indwelt by the HOLY SPIRIT 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all because of GOD'S MATCHLESS GRACE, THE GIFT OF HIS SON, AND OUR ACCEPTANCE OF HIM AS OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR.

Thanks be unto God for HIS UNSPEAKABLE GIFT!

In Christ.

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 08:11:52 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Ambassador4Christ,

AMEN! Brother.

We rest, safe and secure, in the Hands of CHRIST, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are also indwelt by the HOLY SPIRIT 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all because of GOD'S MATCHLESS GRACE, THE GIFT OF HIS SON, AND OUR ACCEPTANCE OF HIM AS OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR.

Thanks be unto God for HIS UNSPEAKABLE GIFT!

In Christ.

Amen Brother

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 03:30:18 PM »

Once again using scriptures out of context to teach the people we need not keep GODS SABBATH DAY.Shame be on ya!

GALATIANS 4 [6] And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying,
Abba, Father.[7] Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
[8] Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.[9] But now, after
that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?[10] Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.

LEV.19 [2] Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy. [3] Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and keep my sabbaths: I am the LORD your God. [26] Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, nor observe times.

Well look at this in LEV.19 in the same passage the WORD says keep my sabbaths and also you will not observe times.
Got about 5 or 6 passages on what observing times means. But i reckon ya dont really care.

DEUT.18  [10] There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,[11] Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.[12] For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.[13] Thou shalt
be perfect with the LORD thy God.[14] For these nations, which thou shalt possess, hearkened unto observers of times, and unto diviners: but as for thee, the LORD thy God hath not suffered thee so to do.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2003, 04:43:24 PM »

Wreck N Sow You are wrongly dividing the Word of Truth

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:1:15)

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Raphu

Sojourner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2003, 05:56:13 PM »

There is only one eternal dwelling place where time is no more and days are not counted, nor weeks or months - IN CHRIST!

"For in Him ALL the fullness of the Godhead dwells bodily, 10 and in Him you are made full, who is the head of ALL principality and power; (Col.2:9,10)

Hosea 11:10  They shall walk after the LORD: he shall roar like a lion: when he shall roar, then the children shall tremble from the west.
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2003, 11:54:53 PM »

Hi Ammbassador
You Wrote

Ya know im not.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2003, 11:56:03 PM by Wreck N Sow » Logged
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2003, 12:30:53 AM »

Its all gonna come down to whats written. And whats written is whats written. Ya wont get away with nothin. Dont know if this is true but i did here it. WC Fields was readin the bible when somebody walked into his room. He quickly said, ah yes, im looking for loopholes. Well,there are none.If ya dont get to the Kingdom, you will be judged by your works at the end of the 1000 yr period of rest. Its pretty scary old buddy.If i was judged by my works, i dont think i would make it. But, maybe who knows.Ill leave that to my Lord.Its really not all that difficult to reach the kingdom. Just walk in the spirit of the law. Not only the letter. Simply get mad at no one. Think no evil in your heart against anyone.Easy to say isnt it. Boy, is it hard to do. What is the reward. SO GREAT. Yet, the flesh, if it has power over another flesh, whether its phyisical or mental will try to over power. Its a shame. So easy to enter the Kingdom, yet almost impossible. Do things concerning the flesh; gluteny,drunkeness, lust of the eyes make it hard to walk in the spirit. And if one of these things has power over your flesh, will it keep you from the Kingdom. Does a little leaven ,leaven the whole bunch? I think it does. You have to walk in the spirit of GODS law to enter HIS wonderful Kingdom.If you were to ask me tonight, Hey Wreck n Sow if ya die by morning would you enter the Kingdom of God, i would have to say no way. I DO NOT DESERVE TO ENTER HIS KINGDOM!
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2003, 12:34:54 AM »

AINT THE GRACE OF GOD GREAT!!!!!   !!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2003, 06:58:11 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Wreck,

Here's a clue for you. Walking in the Spirit does not pertain to keeping the spirit of the law. Notice that "spirit of the law" is with a little "s". Walking in the SPIRIT is with a big "S". You rob yourself of joy and fellowship until you find out what this means.

Walking in the SPIRIT pertains to living in and through THE HOLY SPIRIT. This walk involves the joy of fellowship with our LORD AND SAVIOUR.

The Gospel of the Grace of God, THE GOOD NEWS, AND THE GIFT are all JESUS CHRIST, not the law.

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2003, 11:35:24 PM »

If you are not enjoying your Christianity more than you did when you were saved something is wrong! Are you trying to live under a yoke of bondage? Let us keep in mind what Paul was trying to teach the Galatians in chapter three! For he said in chapter two verse sixteen Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith of Jesus Christ even we have believed in Jesus Christ that we might be justified by faith of Christ and not by the works of the law: for bye the works of the law shall no flesh be justified

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2003, 04:04:23 AM »

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:1:15)

Right On!

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2003, 04:37:43 AM »

Hi Ammbassador
You Wrote

Ya know im not.

I agree with A4C

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2003, 04:40:54 AM »

AINT THE GRACE OF GOD GREAT!!!!!   !!

YES!!!! It Is, I Pray That Someday You Will Know His Grace and Know His Peace

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2003, 04:43:03 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Wreck,

Here's a clue for you. Walking in the Spirit does not pertain to keeping the spirit of the law. Notice that "spirit of the law" is with a little "s". Walking in the SPIRIT is with a big "S". You rob yourself of joy and fellowship until you find out what this means.

Walking in the SPIRIT pertains to living in and through THE HOLY SPIRIT. This walk involves the joy of fellowship with our LORD AND SAVIOUR.

The Gospel of the Grace of God, THE GOOD NEWS, AND THE GIFT are all JESUS CHRIST, not the law.

One More Amen Brother

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the