Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:26:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "The Passion" (Mel Gibson)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Passion" (Mel Gibson)  (Read 46029 times)
Reba
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2004, 07:24:48 PM »

Dale,

The place was extra quiet... i thought wow everyone is holding their breath!  At the end a quiet applause. Very little 'heading to the snack bar'.

I took my mom she is 80 she sat there saying "Thank You Jesus" over and over.   The sub titles are easy to read... the actors do such a good job they are not needed.

I have seen much more gore in other  movies.. What makes this seem so bloodly  is  who's blood it is...
Paul2
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2004, 10:54:12 PM »

Glad I found this forum...

I will be seeing it soon.  I was curious to what those of you who have seen it noticed was going on around you:  Did anyone have to leave the theater?  Did you hear people crying?  When it was over, was everyone stunned silent or were there shouts of praising God.  While waiting to enter the theater what did the outgoing crowd look like?  Waiting for the projector to start, was there a tension in the air.  My guess is there was and I'll discover these answers myself soon enough.We have all seen movies in a theater where you can tell it was "working" with an audience or not.  What can you report?  My father recently passed away and I'm anxious to reinforce my faith and see--visually--what Christ did for us so that my father and all of us believers can go Home some day.

--Dale

I wrote all about my experience in three long post found on page 11 of this thread. Start at the top of page 11 and look through the posts. I tried to tell of my experience from the moment I walked into the theater until I was outside. Read the Paul2 posts which start at the top of this thread on page 11. I've already answered your questions about the whole experience.

Paul2
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 10:57:59 PM by Paul2 » Logged

Paul2
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2004, 11:01:39 PM »

I saw the movie again tonight. The nice lady next to me kept handing me tissues, which were much welcomed. Its just as powerful the second time around. I'll be going at least 2 more times to bring (or drag) friends.

Paul2  

musicmaker18

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2004, 02:25:19 AM »

I have a question about the film.  I just saw it yesterday afternoon and the only word I can use to describe it is "Powerful".  It is one of the most powerful films I have ever seen in my 19 years of life.  My question is, in the film while Jesus is being whipped by the Romans, the devil walks by Jesus holding a baby.  The baby is not like a normal baby, it has hair on its back and arms and has the face of a middle aged man.  What does that mean??
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 02:26:58 AM by musicmaker18 » Logged
Paul2
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2004, 07:52:46 AM »

I have a question about the film.  I just saw it yesterday afternoon and the only word I can use to describe it is "Powerful".  It is one of the most powerful films I have ever seen in my 19 years of life.  My question is, in the film while Jesus is being whipped by the Romans, the devil walks by Jesus holding a baby.  The baby is not like a normal baby, it has hair on its back and arms and has the face of a middle aged man.  What does that mean??

According to Gibson himself, the Satan fiqyre was a female in the film. Gibson in an interview said there was a maggot inside "her."  The "baby" was a demon she was nourchuring. I didn't really care for that imagery. I didn't like the idea of child-like demons, personally but its not my film so theres nothing I can do. Thats the artistic liberty I would have left out.

I don't think it ruins the movie but I don't think it added anything either.

Paul2

tqpix

I'm a Christian!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2004, 05:22:32 PM »

I saw this film yesterday.  I cried at least two times.  This film is really wonderful; I will surely buy it on DVD when it comes out.

It would be wonderful to watch this movie again in the theaters on Good Friday if they're still playing it, or if they will bring it back during that special occasion.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 09:37:05 PM by tqpix » Logged
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2004, 07:16:24 PM »

One major big city commercial(non-religious) radio station here on it's various talk programs has been talking about it all this last week.

Rush Limbaugh, too, a good portion almost each day this week given to talking about it.

Surprisingly, yesterday, Friday, during the last fifteen minutes of Limbaugh, just out of the blue, the actor playing Jesus--James Caveasle(sp)--called in!

He described during filming, in So. Italy, the cold, being hit by lightening, etc.  Rush had him on for the remainder of the program.  

It was very interesting.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2004, 07:50:00 PM »

An article about the composer for the film "battling Satan":
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=37348

I saw the movie yesterday - you have all written my feelings already, so other than saying powerful and moving - I will ditto everyone else.  

I agree with you, Paul2 - in that it definitely had the Catholic Church's interests in heart - but hey - Mel Gibson is a Catholic - a protestant may have made it slightly different but it could not have been made more powerfully.

I had to sit in my truck for a while after I left the theater to "gather myself".  I noticed a guy directly across from me, who sat a couple of rows in front of me in the theater, sitting in his truck weeping.

I will say that those who do not know their scripture will miss a lot.  Christ stomping on the head of the serpent, for example, is straight from the book of Genesis.

I heard a radio talk show guy today - someone who has (evidently) never read a word of the Bible in his life – attacking the movie for having “gratuitous violence”.   He is probably one of those who thought “Saving Private Ryan” wasn’t violent enough.

I saw nothing in the movie that appeared anti-Semitic. Those claiming such are all wet.  The movie columnist from the LA times claimed the movie stereo-typed Jews as, among other things, having “bulbous noses” – I feel like sending him an email and telling him he is a liar.  But I won’t waste my time – he had his mind made up before he ever saw the movie.  In fact, in reading his “review” I am not convinced he did see the movie.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2004, 09:26:43 PM »

I saw this movie today. I cried. Me. I have never cried in any movie before, at least, not since Homeward Bound ten years ago, but I was a kid then. Now, as a teenager, I honestly did not think I would. I went into the theater expecting to see a bloody revision of what I'd pictured in my mind and seen varying movies and such of a million times before. I didn't think it would affect me at all. And when Jesus was on the cross, and the criminal next to him admitted that he deserved death, but Jesus didn't, I started to tear. Never thought it would happen.

It's been said again and again...Go see this movie.

One other thing -- the whole anti-semitism thing is ridiculous. Those who think that the movie actually promotes hatred of Jews probably cannot see the real message that the movie is trying to send.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2004, 09:29:12 PM »

Amen Sapph...

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Melis01

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2004, 11:07:35 PM »

I went to see this movie last night and I am still breathless. I went into that theater for 2 reasons...(1) as a movie fan and fan of Mel Gibson and (2) as a Christian believer. I came out with both truly reinforced.

As a believer, I found myself feeling so many emotions. Everytime Jesus was hit, whipped or scorned, I found myself questioning everything I have ever done. Every blow brought my imperfections and sins into focus, every pain He must have felt was a cleansing of my sins. And knowing that He could have just given in to the temptation and denied everything, He could have stopped it all and not have died for me. But just knowing that He was following God's orders to the fullest extent, no matter what the cost, reinforced my faith. Even knowing and believing the story my whole life, this brought it all into focus, made it all real for me.

This movie can be enjoyed by non-believers also. It is truly a masterpiece. The cinematography was wonderfully done. The actors and actresses were great also, I really felt that they were the real people. Jim Caviezel was astounding as Jesus. Mel Gibson is a genius director.

As far as the controversy regarding the alleged anti-semitism and gory violence, I did not see any of those complaints justified. True, it was very bloody and violent. But what He went through wasn't pretty. It wasn't as simple as a bullet, or a bomb. Crucifixions were notourious as being one of the worst ways you could die. They weren't meant to just kill, they were meant to break a person down through torture and pain. Gibson wanted to convey that. And also, he wanted everyone to feel what He went through. That is why it was so visual. But I think Gibson did a good job of cutting away during an intense scene. He would show others in the crowd, or use flashbacks to give a relief.

And the anti-Semitism is unfounded also...there are good Jews portrayed in the film. Just like in life...no race or creed of people are bad. It's individuals. It was mainly the high-priests who felt threatened by Jesus. They let their power bring out the worst in themselves.

One more thing...I think that everyone should go see this film to judge it for themselves. Alot of people have judged this movie before even seeing it. I think the reason is mostly because of the subject matter. Alot of people don't want this story told to the masses through pop culture. But I think that everyone will get something out of it, whether they believe the story or not. Believers and Christians will have their faith strengthened, and non-believers might be able to understand why we are so passionate about our faith.

I encourage everyone to go, and take at least a friend or two.  It could change not only the way they view Christians, but it could change their life.
grace

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 29, 2004, 11:10:38 AM »

Paul2,

Wow. Thank-you.

Haven't seen it yet; hope to soon.

In His love,

-Grace
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 29, 2004, 05:20:03 PM »

As of this afternoon, box office receipts:

Weekend(Frid/Sat/Sun):  

$76 million.  (the next closest movie, 50 First Dates, for weekend, $13 million).

Cumulative total, so far, for Gibson's movie(five days):

$117.5 million.  (50 First Dates, 88 m., 18 days).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2004-02-28&p=.htm

Also, France so far refusing to distribute the film, when the film becomes available there next month; feared antiSemitism.  

Israel labelling France the most antiSemitic country in Europe.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-passion29.html

(above compiled from drudgereport.com)
Coyote

Aim High!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 01, 2004, 12:53:59 AM »

My wife and I went to see the movie today.

We both cried, it was intense and heartbreaking. After the movie was over we wlked out to our truck not saying a word, and had to cry some more. It was a cry much like when we first gave ourselves to each other before Christ. It was cleansing just as much as it was painful to witness such sacrifice.

If you haven't seen it, I strongly suggest you do.

Love,

Jim

Amazing Grace how sweet the sound
Corpus
« Reply #179 on: March 01, 2004, 11:16:51 AM »

I've heard it suggested that the 'baby' being held by Satan is actually Satan protecting his own. It gives an understanding of how 'passionate' Satan is in holding on to death and sin, akin to a mother and child. It helps us understand the ferocity with which Satan was holding control of his domain.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the