Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:03:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "The Passion" (Mel Gibson)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Passion" (Mel Gibson)  (Read 46168 times)
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2003, 12:59:15 AM »

Saved, do you think we have any real way of knowing?

To be honest, I've never imagined him any other way.

AND, in Revelation, the impression there is the white hair is long and wavy(tho I'm not sure it actually says that).

I think he was referring to jesus having his bread plucked out. I guess he saw some pic's of jesus on the cross with all his hair. Just a guess, ofcourse, and he will no doubt say I'm wrong just because. Grin lol

There were several pics of him both on and off the cross.  His looks like the good ole catholic "european" Jesus.  I don't recall anything in Rev denoting length though I bet you're just use to the European Jesus pictures.  There's no reason to believe he had long hair.  This was a cutom only people taking the nazaritic vow would do and even so the "tied" up their hair in 7 braids like Sampson.  Jesus could never have taken that vow seeing as they can't drink "anything" of the vine and we know Jesus did.

I have no idea what you are talking about with  Jesus having his "bread" plucked out.  What on earth are you talking about?

I won't say your wrong just because, and especially not if I don't know what you're talking about.

Knox

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2003, 09:47:42 PM »

Just as a point of interest, Mel Gibson is not a Roman Catholic. He is what is called a "Traditionalist Catholic". This a confusing name for a group of dissidents that reject the changes made by Vatican II. They have broken away from the RCC and I don't think they recognize the Pope as their spiritual leader. Some people believe that they are a cult.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2003, 02:53:38 PM »

Just as a point of interest, Mel Gibson is not a Roman Catholic. He is what is called a "Traditionalist Catholic". This a confusing name for a group of dissidents that reject the changes made by Vatican II. They have broken away from the RCC and I don't think they recognize the Pope as their spiritual leader. Some people believe that they are a cult.

Thanks that is interesting, I have not heard of "Traditionalist Catholic"

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2003, 04:27:13 AM »

Do you have anymore on this subject?

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
OldTimer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2003, 04:52:56 PM »

For info on CTM try this:
http://www.latinmass-ctm.org/about/about.htm
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2003, 10:26:11 AM »

Thanks OldTimer

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2003, 06:33:52 PM »

Yeah, They are one of the only groups that isn’t in communion with the Pope. Go figure.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2003, 05:53:08 AM »

Thank you, thats some good info

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2003, 02:50:02 PM »

Dave Bruce of Hollywoodjesus.com writes:
"Our message board for Mel Gibson's THE PASSION is being overloaded by pre-Christians. I can not get to them all. The board is running 75% pre-Christian, with very few solid Christians responding to those who are anti-Jesus. I have never seen anything like this!   Passion page: http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/passion.htm  
  Board: http://forums.gospelcom.net/view/hollywoodjesus/passion  
Please post responses and get others to post. Needs 'Jesus makes a difference in my life' personal responses. Goal: off-the-board dialogue with pre-Christians. Pass this need on too. It is going to be one of the most culturally-explosive films ever released!"

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

OldTimer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2003, 04:51:30 PM »

I am actually sorry to see that this picture has been made. I have yet to see Jesus portrayed in a movie that I would consider a reasonable representation of what he may have looked like. The Bible gives us little description of His appearance and I think that is how we should leave it.

Isa 53:2   gives us the closet, “…he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. “

Paul says in 1Co 11:14  “Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? “

And what movie have you seen that shows Jesus with short hair?
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2003, 06:54:02 PM »

Short and long are relative. In this day, a crew cut is short, but in those times, mans hair was considered long when it was getting close to his butt. They wouldn’t dream of getting what we would consider short, because of all the Pagan Priests who shaved there heads. The Romans where clean cut and clean shaven, but you have to keep in mind it was different times back them, Barbers where expensive, and who had the time to sit there and let your buddy’s saw you hair with his knife all day?

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2003, 07:42:24 AM »

Short and long are relative. In this day, a crew cut is short, but in those times, mans hair was considered long when it was getting close to his butt. They wouldn’t dream of getting what we would consider short, because of all the Pagan Priests who shaved there heads. The Romans where clean cut and clean shaven, but you have to keep in mind it was different times back them, Barbers where expensive, and who had the time to sit there and let your buddy’s saw you hair with his knife all day?

Where did you come up with that hogwash?  Long was not down to anyone's butt and people have cut their hair for quite some time.  I sharp knife (very common thoughout history) would cut your hair like nothing.  There would be no sawing of hair.  The Romans greeks and many other cultures had short hair as close as a "crew cut".  Have ye never seen a greek statue.  They NEVER have long hair it doesn't even cover their ears.  If nature itself teaches you that longhair is a shame why do so many people think it's ok.  I don't get it.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2003, 06:17:52 PM »

Where did you come up with that hogwash?  Long was not down to anyone's butt and people have cut their hair for quite some time.  I sharp knife (very common thoughout history) would cut your hair like nothing.  There would be no sawing of hair.  The Romans greeks and many other cultures had short hair as close as a "crew cut".  Have ye never seen a greek statue.  They NEVER have long hair it doesn't even cover their ears.

Yeah, Jason, Romans did traditional cut their hair short. What’s your point? Roman’s also had no facial hair. Roman also held drunken orgies. Was Jesus clean shaven? No. Was Jesus as sexual deviant? No. Jesus was a Jew, not a Roman. Do YOU look at those Roman statues? Do they look in anyway, shape, or form like an Jew to you? Do they have facial hair?

If nature itself teaches you that longhair is a shame why do so many people think it's ok.  I don't get it.

right...

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2003, 01:42:39 AM »

Yes some romans look like some Jews I have seen.  You made the claim that having short hair wasn't "short" like we think of it.  You implied that the Jews not only had no idea what short hair was but that they were incapable of it.  There is no proof for your claim that Jews think you have to have hair down to your butt in order for it to be long.  I have seen many Jews and talked to them.  I have yet to hear that "long hair" is ok.

So tell me where did you come up with your hog wash.  I also mentioned the Greeks who were around way before the romans.

Would you care to clarify what you mean with "right..." as your answer to my scripture?  The bible states that nature itself teaches you that long hair is a shame.  Why then do you and others think it's ok?

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2003, 01:15:40 PM »

Yes some romans look like some Jews I have seen.  You made the claim that having short hair wasn't "short" like we think of it.  You implied that the Jews not only had no idea what short hair was but that they were incapable of it.  There is no proof for your claim that Jews think you have to have hair down to your butt in order for it to be long.  I have seen many Jews and talked to them.  I have yet to hear that "long hair" is ok.

That is all assuming culture then and culture now are the same, they are not. What is acceptable then and now is different. Things have changed in 2000 years. Things have changed in 20 years. Yeah, you have talked to Jews. You have talked to Jews NOW, not Jews back then. Hair styles change, why is that so hard to grasp?

So tell me where did you come up with your hog wash.  I also mentioned the Greeks who were around way before the romans.

Right, I took world history in High School, too.

Would you care to clarify what you mean with "right..." as your answer to my scripture?  The bible states that nature itself teaches you that long hair is a shame.  Why then do you and others think it's ok?

I was agreeing with you, what is there to clarify? The bible says this. Who said I disagree? Long hair is shameful to a man. No one is disagreeing. We are not talking about whether or not men should have long hair, we are discussion whether or not Jesus had the shoulder length hair that today's popular culture has given him.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the