Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:14:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Using Christ's Name to Mislead?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using Christ's Name to Mislead?  (Read 4140 times)
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2005, 01:46:17 PM »

I stumbled on this “Progressive Christian” site.  Their name - Christian Alliance certainly sounds nice.
In my opinion, they wrongly invoke Christ's name in an attempt to justify sins of baby killing and sodomy.  I'd like the board's take on it...

You may want to take a “chill pill” (say a prayer) before exploring the site; I don’t want anyone with high blood pressure blowing a gasket…

Of course – I’m also aware there are people here at CU who may actually agree with the “progressive Christian” ideology.  

http://www.christianalliance.org

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 02:22:14 PM »

!!!!!!!!!!ARRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hilary must be behind it.

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 02:44:52 PM »

Well it didn't raise my blood pressure .... but maybe thats because I took a double dose of blood pressure medication. Cheesy Cheesy

Seriously (and this is a very serious subject) I found lies all throughout the web site. Some of it is just misguided people but there were also outright bold lies.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 03:15:10 PM »

I couldn't help myself - I posted to their message board a warning about twisting scripture to encourage sinful lifestyles, and how leading others down the path to hell might not be the best idea...

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 03:30:11 PM »

OK guys, someone is going to hit me on the head but here goes.

I believe homosexuality is a sin as most all of us here on CU believe but...............................yep, but sin is sin.  Do other sinners have a finger pointed at them the way homosexuals do?  That answer is no, they don't.  Adultery used to be a punishable crime in the U.S.  Now, fornication and adultery have shoulders shrugged at them.  It's almost a given that people fornicate and married people cheat on a spouse.  This is a very confusing world and a wicked one in my estimation.  

Reference the eroding of family values.................let's just suppose that laws are passed allowing legal civil unions.  Do we think that more people will "come out" and "get married"?  What would the long term implications be?  This brings to mind what the Apostle Paul said about all things being lawful but not all things are expedient.  It's sort of the practicality of it versus morality of it.  If we are to love the sinner but hate the sin, then why aren't we talking about all sin the way we talk about homosexuality.  We don't, simply because other sinners aren't wearing a banner to proclaim their sin.

Regardless, I still believe that it's a sin but I do not know how to help these people.  Some say it can be reversed and some say it can't be.  What I don't understand is why they can't lead a celibate life.  It's not unheard of, you know.

Do eunuchs fit in with the above at all?  I don't know the answer to this question that's why I asked for an opinion.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of everything evil that's going on in this world.  I would hope that Jesus is too, and that He's coming back real soon.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 03:41:32 PM »

I couldn't help myself - I posted to their message board a warning about twisting scripture to encourage sinful lifestyles, and how leading others down the path to hell might not be the best idea...

JN, that was just the point they were making.  They don't think they're twisting scripture.  They think we are.  All of this brings to mind what Jesus said about others who were preaching or casting out in His name.  Didn't He say to leave them alone because He had other sheep who were not "of this flock".  I'm not sure I'm taking out of context what Jesus meant when He said this.  I'm sure someone else will think so, though.

I'm really afraid of being too self presumptous.  I believe in standing firm on the Word of God but the problem arises in the interpretation of that Word.  Each denomination thinks they have the correct one.  Somebody is very definitely wrong.

JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 03:44:25 PM »

You are right, cris - sin is sin is sin is sin.  I sin, you sin, we all sin.  

Forgive me for focusing on homosexuals and abortionists in my original post – I should not have singled out particular transgressions.  

Jesus teaches us not to condone sin.  We must do our best.  My point should have stressed that twisting scripture to justify sin is just plain wrong.  

Jesus’ miracle of turning water to wine does not justify being a drunkard.  For someone to use that scripture to justify drunkenness is a purposeful act of leading people into sin rather than out of sin.

I pray right along with you for His speedy return!

JPD
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 03:49:08 PM »

The Word is not 'progressive'.  "Progressive" is the root of change. The Word never changes.

JPD
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 03:53:37 PM »

You are right, cris - sin is sin is sin is sin.  I sin, you sin, we all sin.  

Forgive me for focusing on homosexuals and abortionists in my original post – I should not have singled out particular transgressions.  

Jesus teaches us not to condone sin.  We must do our best.  My point should have stressed that twisting scripture to justify sin is just plain wrong.  

Jesus’ miracle of turning water to wine does not justify being a drunkard.  For someone to use that scripture to justify drunkenness is a purposeful act of leading people into sin rather than out of sin.

I pray right along with you for His speedy return!

No, my point is that we are ALL picking out certain sins and pouncing upon them.  There needs be a blending of us and the site you posted, but that is just my opinion.  Christianity is being split in more ways than I care to count.  We're supposed to be working together and we're not.  I count myself in on this and again, I don't know what to do about it.  There's ONE HEAD and a fragmented body.  This is just awful.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 04:00:22 PM »

The Word is not 'progressive'.  "Progressive" is the root of change. The Word never changes.

Of course the Word never changes but the interpretation of His Word does.  Look at all the different denominations.  We have them because of a difference of opinion on what "The Word" means.

JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 04:12:32 PM »

I'm sure glad I started this thread under [DEBATE].   Grin

I'm not so sure The Body of Christ is all that splintered.  I think that to a mind as shallow as mine it certainly seems splintered - but LOVE will prevail.

Heaven is a big place.  Smiley

Unfortuantely - so is hell. Cry

JPD
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 05:40:01 PM »

I'm not so sure The Body of Christ is all that splintered.  I think that to a mind as shallow as mine it certainly seems splintered - but LOVE will prevail.

I'll agree with you....the Body of Christ is not splintered....but man's attempts at religion are.  It's really amazing (from some points of view) how two (or more) REAL Christians can get along, even in disagreement, simply because they recognize in each other the presence of the Holy Spirit....a witness, as it were.

There are plenty of people out there who claim Christ, or claim the name or title of Christian, when in fact they are selectively choosing what to believe, or what not to believe based on their own desires.

2Ti 4:3
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; (4) And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables

which is just saying they'll follow whatever tickles their fancy, or cranks their motor, or..............

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 06:56:38 PM »

30,000 denominations and Christianity is not fragmented, huh?

OK

JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 08:53:59 PM »

OK
OK?
OK!
 Grin

I absolutely LOVE it when we all agree with me!!!

JudgeNot heading for the hills, incognito...

JPD
TEXASGRANDMA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2005, 10:14:01 PM »

I have issues with the Mormons who give away Bibles but do not believe that Jesus is God's son.  They talk about Jesus on T.V. and mislead people in believing that they are a Bible believing Church.

hugs and prayers,
Betty
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the