Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:15:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Jesus and his Word are the Answer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jesus and his Word are the Answer  (Read 4210 times)
Bronzesnake
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 04:52:33 PM »

Anyone can accuse people of anything Rick.
In a court of law, you would have to present evidence for such a claim.
Perhaps if you did this, and gave specific examples of Warren's scripture twisting, people might be more willing to listen to you.

Do you believe the warning at the end of revelation refers to any Christian outside of the Bible?
If so, you have seriously misunderstood the warning. It was given in order to keep His word -the Holy Bible - from being corrupted. The NWT is one example of a blatant infraction against the warning, there are other false bibles which people claim are the word of God - the Koran _ is another.

There are many fantastic Christian authors who have made it possible for many millions of people to gain a deeper understanding of the word of God. It's no different than a pastor or minister, for example, who tech people the meaning and messages of God's word.

I know there are also false teachings and misinterpratations to be found in books. Some intentionally change God's word in order to fit in with the specific cult they happen to be involved with, and yet, other's may have made honest mistakes.

There is also the reader to consider. Some people misunderstand the texts they are reading and come to false conclusions about the book and author.

You'll have to be very specific about your claims.

Take care my friend.
RichkCt

Jesus is ALIVE and Well

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 06:20:42 PM »

http://www.souldevice.org/crit_purpose_driven_church.html

Some examples here.

Bronzesnake
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 12:35:29 AM »

Nik picking my friend.
The person responsible for that critique comes across as petty and jealous.

The way you came across, I expected to see some real meat and bones problems, but all I see is nit picking.

Sorry, I can't go along on this one my friend, there's far more serious issues in relation to the Word of God than this.

Why not do battle against the real frauds such as the NWT?

kdr22

2 Corinthians 5:16-21

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 06:51:07 PM »

Hi All!

I was just reading through this thread and would like to share a couple of thoughts...

I am a lot more cautious about various books published under the Christian genre banner than I used to be. You see, as a recovered alcoholic/addict, early in my recovery I got caught up in the binding/loosening taught in the Neil T Anderson books The Bondage Breaker and Victory over the Darkness.

I was about half way through The Bondage Breaker when (I believe) the Spirit of Holiness led me to this page on the Internet: The Bondage Maker - Topical Index - Anderson, Neil T..

After reading the article, I was amazed at how easily I had been drawn in and caught up in the false teaching! That experience really opened my eyes. However, some lessons are soon forgotten and it wasn't long until I was promoting the 40-Days of Purpose curriculum to my then pastor. Not long afterwards, I was once again (I believe) led by the Spirit of Holiness to a web page that brought out some facts, much like the the one about the Neil T. Anderson books did.

When the Prayer of Jabez and the Wild at Heart books came out, I was sorely tempted to jump on the band wagon and gobble them up as well. But by then the lesson was beginning to sink in. So instead of running out and obtaining a copy of the books (when they came out), I prayed about them and waited on God. I am so glad I did!

I watched other people who highly touted these books - people whom I knew up close and personal - to see if their walk with God deepened and/or if their life changed at all. I was unable to notice any perceivable change in their life. They were the same after reading the books and participating in the small groups, as they were prior to doing so.

Again, I was led to some web sites that examined the respective author's teaching with Scripture, and again I was saddened by the truth of the distortions and heresy contained within the teachings of the respective books.

Please understand, I'm not saying that lives were not changed by people who read the books. I'm saying that I fear the false and/or misleading teachings contained within such popular books may being doing more harm than good. However, I know that God can and does use anything to His glory. So I do not concern myself with those who are caught up in the latest popular teaching to come out. Instead, I pray for guidance as concerns my walk with God in Christ, and praise Him for His many blessings.

I think sometimes, many of us who have placed our faith in Christ, spend an inordinate amount of time and energy trying to do things FOR God, thinking we are being good Christian Soldiers. I sincerely believe that God would much rather have us doing things WITH Him, rather than FOR Him.

I would encourage all if us who claim Christ as our Lord and Master to spend less time finding fault within the body of Christ and more time building up the body of Christ. I sincerely believe that is God's will for us. Don't you?

Read Ephesians 4 and pray about it. Okay?

Thank you for your time and prayerful consideration of my comments.

Karl

[Edited to update URL link]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 12:09:04 PM by kdr22 » Logged

Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
1 Peter 5:5 (RSV)
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 07:24:07 PM »

Hi All!

I was just reading through this thread and would like to share a couple of thoughts...

I am a lot more cautious about various books published under the Christian genre banner than I used to be. You see, as a recovered alcoholic/addict, early in my recovery I got caught up in the binding/loosening taught in the Neil T Anderson books The Bondage Breaker and Victory over the Darkness.

I was about half way through The Bondage Breaker when (I believe) the Spirit of Holiness led me to this page on the Internet: The Bondage Maker - http://www.equip.org/free/DA081.htm.

After reading the article, I was amazed at how easily I had been drawn in and caught up in the false teaching! That experience really opened my eyes. However, some lessons are soon forgotten and it wasn't long until I was promoting the 40-Days of Purpose curriculum to my then pastor. Not long afterwards, I was once again (I believe) led by the Spirit of Holiness to a web page that brought out some facts, much like the the one about the Neil T. Anderson books did.

When the Prayer of Jabez and the Wild at Heart books came out, I was sorely tempted to jump on the band wagon and gobble them up as well. But by then the lesson was beginning to sink in. So instead of running out and obtaining a copy of the books (when they came out), I prayed about them and waited on God. I am so glad I did!

I watched other people who highly touted these books - people whom I knew up close and personal - to see if their walk with God deepened and/or if their life changed at all. I was unable to notice any perceivable change in their life. They were the same after reading the books and participating in the small groups, as they were prior to doing so.

Again, I was led to some web sites that examined the respective author's teaching with Scripture, and again I was saddened by the truth of the distortions and heresy contained within the teachings of the respective books.

Please understand, I'm not saying that lives were not changed by people who read the books. I'm saying that I fear the false and/or misleading teachings contained within such popular books may being doing more harm than good. However, I know that God can and does use anything to His glory. So I do not concern myself with those who are caught up in the latest popular teaching to come out. Instead, I pray for guidance as concerns my walk with God in Christ, and praise Him for His many blessings.

I think sometimes, many of us who have placed our faith in Christ, spend an inordinate amount of time and energy trying to do things FOR God, thinking we are being good Christian Soldiers. I sincerely believe that God would much rather have us doing things WITH Him, rather than FOR Him.

I would encourage all if us who claim Christ as our Lord and Master to spend less time finding fault within the body of Christ and more time building up the body of Christ. I sincerely believe that is God's will for us. Don't you?

Karl

I just read Ephesians 4.

29 thru 32 popped out at me.

"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.  And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.  Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.  And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you."

IMO, this says it all.  If these Christian writers are not against God, then they are for God.  Didn't Jesus respond to His own disciples in this same way when they questioned what others were doing?

Grace and peace,
cris

Bronzesnake
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 08:10:01 PM »

Hi All!

I was about half way through The Bondage Breaker when (I believe) the Spirit of Holiness led me to this page on the Internet: The Bondage Maker - http://www.equip.org/free/DA081.htm.

Karl

I just read Ephesians 4.

"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.  And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.  Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.  And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you."

IMO, this says it all.  If these Christian writers are not against God, then they are for God.  Didn't Jesus respond to His own disciples in this same way when they questioned what others were doing?

Grace and peace,
cris

Well stated Cris.

By the way, I have sent you several PM's, I don't know if you have received any of them.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »

Bronze,

Any that you sent me, I replied back to you.  Did you receive my replies?  I can't remember exactly, but I asked you a few questions that you haven't answered.

Grace and peace,
cris

Bronzesnake
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2005, 08:50:41 PM »

Bronze,

Any that you sent me, I replied back to you.  Did you receive my replies?  I can't remember exactly, but I asked you a few questions that you haven't answered.

Grace and peace,
cris

I have replied to everything I received from you cris.

I think there's a problem with the PM system, and I believe it's being worked on.
I'll let you know as I find out.

In the meantime my web site has a "contact us" icon where you will be able to e-mail me directly to my site e-mail until this problem gets sorted out.

I know you have had problems viewing the site, and I did PM you a few suggestions.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 08:55:55 PM »

Bronze,

Grace and peace,
cris

I have replied to everything I received from you cris.

I think there's a problem with the PM system, and I believe it's being worked on.
I'll let you know as I find out.

In the meantime my web site has a "contact us" icon where you will be able to e-mail me directly to my site e-mail until this problem gets sorted out.

I know you have had problems viewing the site, and I did PM you a few suggestions.

I was just over there (your site) when you and PR left.  I was able to view by clicking on the double arrows but it didn't help with the page still being too wide for my screen.

I've received no IM's from you.  In fact, I'll go back and see what the date of the last IM was that I received.

Grace and peace,
cris

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2005, 09:01:11 PM »

Bronze,

Last IM I received was on June 7th and it was from you.  I just sent myself an IM and had no trouble receiving it. Grin  It looks as if the trouble is on your side.

Grace and peace,
cris

Reba
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005, 11:33:06 PM »

Hi All!

Karl

Nicely said on a touchy subject.  

Bronzesnake
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2005, 03:57:03 AM »

Look, God created us with a brain right?
We don't have to fear these books. We can look at them and see if they are Christian, or perhaps they are of a cult nature.

This book is just fine unless you are nit picking.
Remember also, that we are up against an enemy that hates anything which leads us to live Godly lives, or helps us to fight sin in our lives. He will attack books like this, even through Christians. If a seemingly faithful Christian makes critical remarks against a book such as this one, others may tend to judge the book without even reading it, because we tend to trust our Christian brothers and sisters. I wonder how many of the critics have honestly, actually read the book.

The trouble is that sometimes it's an unlearned, or even an unbalanced Christian who starts such rumours, and it gets passed along through a long line of faithful, balanced Christians, and the damage is done.

Read the book; look at the points that are criticized in that web site. There's nothing of any substance there. If you are happy to take someone else’s word for it, then you do it at your own peril, because what I see happening here is an unwarranted attack on a Christian book. It's akin to ruining a person's reputation through gossip.
kdr22

2 Corinthians 5:16-21

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2005, 12:38:01 PM »

Nicely said on a touchy subject.

All glory to God.
 Smiley

Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
1 Peter 5:5 (RSV)
RichkCt

Jesus is ALIVE and Well

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2005, 03:51:18 PM »

Hi All!

Karl

I just read Ephesians 4.

Grace and peace,
cris

What amazes me is that even when presented with truth right from the Bible and then put alongside the lies, to compare. There are still some Christians that will defend the heretic, fanscinating!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the