Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christ as a Woman, God as Female
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christ as a Woman, God as Female  (Read 6501 times)
SelahJoy

Pray and praise about everything.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2005, 06:23:49 PM »

I believe that someone can believe Jesus is a women as still get into Heaven.

What?  Don't you think that if we started believing 1+1=5, pretty soon our checkbook would be imbalanced?

On Spiritual matters, I say we best not speak acceptance to believe myths (or anything not expressed within the Bible) because if we do, pretty soon those children of God we spoke to may stumble into "insufficiency."

...many languages use "he" as a generic pronoun, interchangable with "it." ...we have no further proof then the pronouns used to find out what the Holy Spirit is.

Tibby, maybe we won't get "proof," but what about this?  

The scriptures were written by numerous authors from many cultures over a thousand or so years (Okay, so I'm not a detailed person. I can't remember all those numbers!)

But anyway, there are many variables involved, i.e. the unique use of languages found within the cultures represented by Biblical authors, the different geographic locations of the authors, and the century each wrote his portion.   What if we consider the differences in the use of pronouns caused by these variables?   There must be linguists/historians who know these differences, if in fact, there were differences.

Also, there are contemporary speakers and writers of the Greek language.  How do they use pronouns in literature and verbal language?  Since the Hebrew language is "extinct," hopefully there are linguists who still study that language.

Aside from reading all the scriptures, I am curious to look at contextual factors before adopting a Biblical concept.  For now, I choose to relate to the Holy Spirit as "He."  He is the expressed Power of the Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  For now, I believe we need to fervently pray for people who believe God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit are female, if for no other reason, to agree with the Lord that these people do not slip further into other dangerous myths that tickle their ears.  I'm not saying they are lost because only God knows who is and who isn't.  And everytime I pray for someone else to have revelation, I ask for myself too, because your point is well received--none of us have all the truth.

Got any info that might help shed light on the changing (or not) use of pronouns within Greek/Hebrew languages?

Thanks,  selahjoy*
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2005, 07:09:12 PM »

What?  Don't you think that if we started believing 1+1=5, pretty soon our checkbook would be imbalanced?

On Spiritual matters, I say we best not speak acceptance to believe myths (or anything not expressed within the Bible) because if we do, pretty soon those children of God we spoke to may stumble into "insufficiency."

You can wrong and still go to Heaven. There are people who believe communion is the actually body and blood of Christ, and others say it is just a symbol, and still others say it is more then a symbols, but still not the actually blood and body. Who is right? We can’t all be right, and yet we all say the Bible is clear on the subject. Does that mean that only the third of the people who believe correctly are going to Heaven? No, of course not. You can be wrong and still go to Heaven. You may be a little embarrassed when you get there, but it will not keep you out of Heaven.

Tibby, maybe we won't get "proof," but what about this?  

The scriptures were written by numerous authors from many cultures over a thousand or so years (Okay, so I'm not a detailed person. I can't remember all those numbers!)

But anyway, there are many variables involved, i.e. the unique use of languages found within the cultures represented by Biblical authors, the different geographic locations of the authors, and the century each wrote his portion.   What if we consider the differences in the use of pronouns caused by these variables?   There must be linguists/historians who know these differences, if in fact, there were differences.

Also, there are contemporary speakers and writers of the Greek language.  How do they use pronouns in literature and verbal language?  Since the Hebrew language is "extinct," hopefully there are linguists who still study that language.

Aside from reading all the scriptures, I am curious to look at contextual factors before adopting a Biblical concept.  For now, I choose to relate to the Holy Spirit as "He."  He is the expressed Power of the Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  For now, I believe we need to fervently pray for people who believe God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit are female, if for no other reason, to agree with the Lord that these people do not slip further into other dangerous myths that tickle their ears.  I'm not saying they are lost because only God knows who is and who isn't.  And everytime I pray for someone else to have revelation, I ask for myself too, because your point is well received--none of us have all the truth.

Got any info that might help shed light on the changing (or not) use of pronouns within Greek/Hebrew languages?

No, I don't, as I said the first time I posted this. It is just a theory, a thought, based on my knowledge of other languages. I'll ask the next Greek scholer I know. Grin

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
SelahJoy

Pray and praise about everything.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2005, 10:14:20 PM »

Tibby,  I'm sitting on the edge of my chair to hear that you've met your next historical expert! Cheesy

selahjoy*
LedByTheLamb

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2005, 11:57:32 AM »

Makes me sick to my stomach...what perversion...its an outrage
mi_shell

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2005, 01:00:23 PM »

i wonder how God must have felt when he read their thoughts when 'they think' God was woman...
it is really sickening.
shoneen

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2005, 11:43:20 PM »

Oddly enough, I always thought of the Holy Spirit as having feminine attritbutes. .  

The earliest known book of Christian hymns is the "Odes of Solomon", thought to have been written before 100 AD by Jewish-Christians. This is from Ode 36:

(Odist speaks)
1. I rested on the Spirit of the Lord,
And She lifted me up to heaven;
2. And caused me to stand on my feet in the Lord's high place,
Before His perfection and glory,
Where I continued glorifying (Him) by the composition of His Odes.

(Christ Speaks)
3. (The Spirit) brought me forth before the Lord's face.
And because I was the Son of Man,
I was named the Light, the Son of God;
4. Because I was the most glorified among the glorious ones,
And the greatest among the great ones.
5. For according to the greatness of the Most High, so She made me;
And according to His newness He renewed me.
6. And He anointed me with His perfection;
And I became one of those who are near Him.
7. And my mouth was opened like a cloud of dew,
And my heart gushed forth (like) a gusher of righteousness.
8. And my approach was in peace,
And I was established in the Spirit of Providence.

The Old testament word for spirit is 'ruach', meaning wind, breath, inspiration,and the OT Hebrew noun is always feminine. In the "Odes of Solomon'; the oldest surviving Christian hymnal, the Holy Spirit is female. The original tongue of the Hebrew or Aramaic would translate 'Holy Spirit' as female. Also, Greek would translate 'Holy Spirit' as either female or more likely 'neuter in reference to the subject' and it only became 'He' in Latin and English bibles.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the