Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:14:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286800 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Television (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Old TV Shows Remembered
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Old TV Shows Remembered  (Read 50143 times)
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2005, 11:58:02 AM »

Duz soap powder      “Duz Does Everything”
Rinso soap powder    "This new kind of soap dissolves instantly!"
Fels Naptha soap powder   Good for poison ivy treatment also
20 Mule Team Borax      Death Valley Days with Ronald Reagan  
Ivory soap           And it floats (the idea was stolen by Swan)
Lux soap              Loveliness Of Soft Skin
Swan soap           It floats
Sweetheart soap   (You got me on this one, I don't remember any ads for it)

OK guys, I got bored easily and made fun of the ads.

How about:

Buster Brown ads
Vegemite
Burma Shave
"Dad Is The Captain, Give Him _________"

Nehi sodas also made other flavors such as orange and peach but the grape was the one that tasted the best. Grape Nehi with a Moon Pie!

I would love to live in the 1700 - 1800 also, but I know I don't appreciate just how hard daily life was for those folks. Up before sunrise every day, sick or healthy to tend to the farm. Chopping wood by hand for the winter. Clearing fields of trees and brush with a beast of burden so you can grow crops etc.

That sounds like my childhood and I'm not that old!

Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy

Very good PR.

Sweetheart soap was oval in shape and originally a white color.  Both sides around the outside edges were embossed with little leaves or flowers or something.  The center was imprinted with the name, SWEETHEART SOAP.  My grandmother used it until they changed the formula and color to pink.  She didn't like it after that.  She also used SWAN but thought it a harsh soap.  Remember, there wasn't any such thing as a "detergent" in those days.  Detergents only came on the scene when synthetic fibers came into use.  They used to to tell us to use soap for natural fibers, and detergents for synthetics.  There are so many 100% cotton items in use today and ya never hear them advising to use soap.  Wonder why?  Cause one can't buy SOAP powder anymore.  Everything is a detergent.

Vegemite?  I thought that was something only Lucy Arnez used? Grin

I remember Burma Shave

I don't remember, Dad is the captain, give him________

I do remember Buster Brown....I wore their shoes and socks Grin.

Aah, Nehi Sodas...........I liked their colas.  I think orange was a favorite flavor along with the "red" cream soda.  Those were the days when they used cane sugar and not the high fructose corn syrup of today.......

Moon Pie?  Ya got me on that one.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2005, 12:07:26 PM »

OK, since it's been a time to reminisce here, who remembers some of the TV commercials for various products?

Not fair!! Men don't pay attention to commercials! Cheesy

So ya think I'm a woman, eh? Grin

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2005, 12:18:30 PM »

Grin  You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.

OK - it's time for a quiz:

What was it that melts in your mouth, not your hands?

What was it that twins were always used to make ads?

What is Nehi?

Nehi is a brand name of soda's, like pepsi or coca cola.

Twins ads---------------doublemint chewing gum.

Melts in your mouth, not hands---------M&M's, of course.

Yes, the pepsodent commercial, how did I forget that one?  Remember when pepsodent also had a tooth powder?  One would sprinkle it in their hand, wet the toothbrush, dip it in the powder, and brush.  

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2005, 12:41:37 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I many times think that I would have been much happier in the time frame of 1700s-1800s.

Bronzesnake, you got me on a couple, but I do remember the radio shows that Pastor Roger mentioned and others.

Chris, yes I've heard the kids talk about the "olden days" we lived in, and I remember being very interested in hearing my parents and grandparents talk about their days. I think those "olden days" where much better in many ways, especially in morals and values. I don't think that I would miss the technology much except in health care.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ya, I agree. As much joy that old TV has brought me, it has gotten to the point where everytime I switch it on I see filth or a huge explosion caused by a guy flicking a ciggerette into a pool of gas! Roll Eyes Most of us know a ciggerette won't ignite a a pool of gas, but it happens all the time on TV. Violence and sex has become mainstream. How sad.

I would love to live in the 1700 - 1800 also, but I know I don't appreciate just how hard daily life was for those folks. Up before sunrise every day, sick or healthy to tend to the farm. Chopping wood by hand for the winter. Clearing fields of trees and brush with a beast of burden so you can grow crops etc.

In 1950 a fellow of about 80 years of age was interviewed.  He was asked if he would want to go back to the 1800's as those days were the good ole days.  His reaction was that he liked everything about 1950.  He lived in the 1800's and would never want to go back.  He said people don't have any idea what they're talking about when they say they would want to go back to even the late 1800's.

I wonder what that man would say if he were still alive today?

It's still nice to go down memory lane once in awhile though, and nice to fantasize about what life might have been a century or two ago.  

I remember watching a "Twilight Zone" movie.  A fellow kept getting on a train in NY but would find himself on a century ago train with the conductor saying, "Willowby, next stop, Willowby." When he looked out of the train's window, he saw people strolling along (the day's B4 automobiles) and music coming from the town's gazebo.  He finally decided to get off the train after about the 4th time, and enter those "good ole days."  Anyone see that one?

Bronzesnake
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2005, 12:56:36 PM »

Two - Two - Two mints in one! Certs. Cheesy

Bronzesnake
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2005, 01:00:46 PM »

Choo-choo Charlie was an engineer. Driving trains was his game we hear. He had an engine and it sure was fun, he used Good 'n' Plenty candy to make his train run.
Charlie says, "love my Good 'n' Plaenty"
Charlie says, "really rings my bell"
Charlie says, "love my Good 'n' Plenty, I don't know any other candy that I love so well"!!  Cheesy
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2005, 01:07:50 PM »

M&Ms
Double Mint Gum
Grape soda

"RICE-a-roni, the San Francisco Treat!"

"Take Sominex tonight and sleep - safe and restful sleep, sleep, sleep"

Benson & Hedges 101: ("A millimeter longer") there was the guy smoking his 'last' cigarette in front of the firing squad - but it was "a millimeter longer" so the squad was falling asleep waiting for him to finish the cigarette...

Oh yeah, rice-a-roni and sominex---------nice little jingles.

How about Maxwell House Coffee.......good to the last drop.
(Maxwell sponsored, "I Remember Mama") 8:00PM on Friday nights.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2005, 01:10:20 PM »

Vegemites were nasty tasting vitamins for kids.

Dad is the captain, give him "Old Spice" a 1950s ad.

Moon Pie is still made in some areas. It is a cookie sandwich with cream filling and covered in chocolate.

Red Cream Nehi was my favorite.  Grin Grin

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2005, 01:15:16 PM »

Choo-choo Charlie was an engineer. Driving trains was his game we hear. He had an engine and it sure was fun, he used Good 'n' Plenty candy to make his train run.
Charlie says, "love my Good 'n' Plaenty"
Charlie says, "really rings my bell"
Charlie says, "love my Good 'n' Plenty, I don't know any other candy that I love so well"!!  Cheesy

Oh yes, I remember that one........good 'n' plenty, good 'n' plenty, good 'n' plenty as the engine chugged on. Smiley

Hey, I propose that we dub one weekend a month as nostalgia weekend..............just kidding.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2005, 01:24:57 PM »

Moon Pie is still made in some areas. It is a cookie sandwich with cream filling and covered in chocolate.

Yeah, I liked that red stuff, too.  Is Nehi still in business?  Just off the cuff, do you know?

Moon Pie........I vaguely remember........it wasn't a National Bisquit Co. product, was it (NBC)?

Vegemites, I'm vaguely remembering now.  I was made to take "cod liver oil".  I'm sure I took a multi vitamin but I don't recall the name.  I just remember taking those little brown pearl like soft caps of cod liver oil.........oh, the smell! Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2005, 01:39:12 PM »

Yeah, I liked that red stuff, too.  Is Nehi still in business?  Just off the cuff, do you know?

Moon Pie........I vaguely remember........it wasn't a National Bisquit Co. product, was it (NBC)?

Vegemites, I'm vaguely remembering now.  I was made to take "cod liver oil".  I'm sure I took a multi vitamin but I don't recall the name.  I just remember taking those little brown pearl like soft caps of cod liver oil.........oh, the smell! Grin

Nehi belonged to Royal Crown for many years but is now produced by Cadbury-Schweppes Co. It is hard to find in stores at least in my area.

Moon Pies were produced out of a bakery factory somewhere in Tenn. The cookie portion is a graham cracker like cookie. There are festivals in the south based on RC Cola and Moon Pies.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2005, 03:52:30 PM »

Nehi belonged to Royal Crown for many years but is now produced by Cadbury-Schweppes Co. It is hard to find in stores at least in my area.

Moon Pies were produced out of a bakery factory somewhere in Tenn. The cookie portion is a graham cracker like cookie. There are festivals in the south based on RC Cola and Moon Pies.

Thank you PR.  I knew there was another name associated with Nehi but I couldn't think of what it was.........Royal Crown.  I remember those Nehi glass bottles.......thin and tall.

I'm still trying to place the Moon Pies, though.

Does anyone remember the milk man?  He delivered milk to your front door step in clear glass bottles with the cream at the top.  Later on, when they discovered that light penetrating clear glass bottles destroyed the Vitamin D, they changed to amber colored bottles.  Guess they don't care anymore as milk comes in opaque plastic gallon bottles.  Personally, I never would buy it that way for two reasons, the plastic leaches into the milk creating xeno estrogens, and the Vit. D is destroyed sitting under supermarket lights.  I buy the organic in the waxed paper cartons.  I feel a bit safer that way.

There was the egg man and the bread man in those days, too.

Hey.......knock, knock.  Do you all remember going to your friend's house wanting someone to play baseball, ride bikes together or, just hang out?

Do you remember when it was ordinary to sit down at the dinner table together, EVERY night?  

Do you all remember stay at home mom's?  What other kind were there?

Unbelievable change in the last 50 or so years.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2005, 04:45:26 PM »

Does anyone remember the milk man?

Yep, he wore bibed overalls and walked from the barn to the house. I called him Grandpa.  Grin

The egg man and bread man wore a dress in my home and I called her Mom.

Do you all remember going to your friend's house wanting someone to play baseball, ride bikes together or, just hang out?

Do you remember when it was ordinary to sit down at the dinner table together, EVERY night?

Do you all remember stay at home mom's?  What other kind were there?

Unbelievable change in the last 50 or so years.

Those are a few of things that haven't changed in my house. A number of kids always comes over to ask my son to play basketball or baseball or just hang out in the front yard.

My wife was/is a stay at home Mom. We used to sit at the table every night for dinner until we moved into this apartment where there is no room for a table!  Sad

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2005, 05:26:54 PM »

Grin  What a hoot of a thread!

"A little dab 'ill do ya."
Brillcream

"See the USA in your Chevrolet."
Dinah Shore

"Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is."
Alka Seltzer

"Ask Mikey, he'll eat it."
Life Cereal

Bronzesnake
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2005, 08:45:05 PM »

Does anyone remember the milk man?  He delivered milk to your front door step in clear glass bottles with the cream at the top.

Ya, how about the knife and scissor sharpener man?
We had a little old Italian man come around once a week with his sharpening wheel cart and a bell.

Anybody else use Greasy Kids Stuff? My brother and I used that on our Elvis hair styles and my sisters used Dipity-Do, which amazed me when I was a youngin because of the cool green color! Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the