Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:57:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Is Tithing for New Covenant Believers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Tithing for New Covenant Believers?  (Read 14591 times)
MalkyEL

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2005, 10:56:02 AM »

I found this very thorough scriptural look at tithing - any thoughts?

http://www.seekgod.ca/tithing.htm

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 05:22:19 PM »

Though I don't give 10% of the money I get, I make up for it in other ways. Working in the church, helping pastor, helping other members of the church, ect., ect. I give what I can give, sometimes I am broke at the end of the month.  One thing though, God has always seen me through these times. So I don't worry about my finacial state, I allow God to oversee that for me.

Resting in the Lord's arms.
Bob

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 05:29:03 PM »

I am curious, Bob, if you read the articles  Wink

shalom, nana  Grin

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 05:49:30 PM »

I am curious, Bob, if you read the articles  Wink

shalom, nana  Grin
Yes I did, found it to be enlighting specially the first 5 books of the Bible, Moses Law. Then jumping to the New Testament. Though I don't think the catholic church is the new Levite priesthood.

But I loved when it said, if the Law of Moses is to be kept for tithing, then the rest of the Law must also be kept. We however live in the age of Grace.

The artical was a little confusing at times. I had to read it 3 times. I'm still not, understanding parts of it......... I will after I reread it a few more times.

Bob

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 06:09:30 PM »

Jesus did not do away with tithing as is evidenced in:

Mat 23:23  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Personally I do not always give to a church(organized institution) but I still give to the Lords work.  More frequently than not it is more than 10%. Nor do I believe that this giving always needs to be in cash money.

Mat 19:21  Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

2Co 9:6  But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
2Co 9:7  Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 06:44:19 PM »

Bob wrote:
Though I don't think the catholic church is the new Levite priesthood.

nana:
I don't think she stated it was either - it was probably a quote.

And I agree, it is not about a set amount, but giving from a cheerful heart as we are led by the Holy Spirit.  That can include your time, possessions, money, prayer, etc. - the sum total of all of your life as a living sacrifice.  We owe God a debt we cannot pay.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 08:16:29 PM »

I'm wondering how the following verses fit in to this tithing question.

Matt: 23:------2  The scribes and Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses;  3  therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things, and do not do them.

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 08:59:07 PM »

cris wrote:

Matt: 23:------2  The scribes and Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses;  3  therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things, and do not do them.

nana:
Until Jesus died, the OT Law was still valid  Wink

Mark 14:23 And taking the cup, giving thanks, He gave to them. And they all drank out of it.
24 And He said to them, This is My blood, that of the New Covenant, which is poured out concerning many.

shalom

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 09:14:07 PM »

cris wrote:

nana:

Mark 14:23 And taking the cup, giving thanks, He gave to them. And they all drank out of it.
24 And He said to them, This is My blood, that of the New Covenant, which is poured out concerning many.

shalom

Okay then, are you saying that at the moment of His death, they changed courses-------just like that, from obeying the law to the New Covenant of grace?  I think I must be missing a point somewhere.  Sorry.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 09:15:44 PM »

cris wrote:

nana:

shalom

Okay then, are you saying that at the moment of His death, they changed courses-------just like that, from obeying the law, to the New Covenant of grace?  I think I must be missing a point somewhere.  Sorry.

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 09:21:55 PM »

cris wrote:
Okay then, are you saying that at the moment of His death, they changed courses-------just like that, from obeying the law, to the New Covenant of grace?  I think I must be missing a point somewhere.  Sorry.

nana:
Wondering what point that might be.  When Jesus died, He said "It is Finished"

Col 2:13 ¶ And you, being dead in the deviations and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all the deviations,
14 blotting out the handwriting in the ordinances against us, which was contrary to us, even He has taken it out of the midst, nailing it to the cross;
15 having stripped the rulers and the authorities, He made a show of them in public, triumphing over them in it.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 09:35:09 PM »

cris wrote:

nana:
Wondering what point that might be.  When Jesus died, He said "It is Finished"

Col 2:13 ¶ And you, being dead in the deviations and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all the deviations,
14 blotting out the handwriting in the ordinances against us, which was contrary to us, even He has taken it out of the midst, nailing it to the cross;
15 having stripped the rulers and the authorities, He made a show of them in public, triumphing over them in it.

Jesus broke the OT law, so how was it valid until His death.

Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 09:50:26 PM »

No, Christ fulfilled the Law. I believe Scripture records that Christ came fulfilling the Law. Since He was the Law. Remember He said, that the Scripture bore witness of Him, and on numerous times, He said that Moses wrote about Him. Just a few thoughts. Let mek now if you want the particular Scriptures as I don't have my Bible right in front of me and can't quote them word for word. God Bless

Joshua

p.s. If Christ didn't fulfill the Law, and broke the OT Law, then we're still in our sins, and that owuld mean that Christ sinned...which is saying that God is sin, and that He is impure, which is contrary to Scripture...follow me. So NO Christ did not break OT Law. How could He break it when HE WAS THE LAW! lol. GB

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 09:53:27 PM »

cris wrote:
Jesus broke the OT law, so how was it valid until His death.

nana:
because God said it was Smiley

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Hbr 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah

Hbr 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than [that of] Abel.

Hbr 8:13 In that he saith, A new [covenant], he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old [is] ready to vanish away.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 10:30:26 PM »

No, Christ fulfilled the Law. I believe Scripture records that Christ came fulfilling the Law. Since He was the Law. Remember He said, that the Scripture bore witness of Him, and on numerous times, He said that Moses wrote about Him. Just a few thoughts. Let mek now if you want the particular Scriptures as I don't have my Bible right in front of me and can't quote them word for word. God Bless

Joshua

p.s. If Christ didn't fulfill the Law, and broke the OT Law, then we're still in our sins, and that owuld mean that Christ sinned...which is saying that God is sin, and that He is impure, which is contrary to Scripture...follow me. So NO Christ did not break OT Law. How could He break it when HE WAS THE LAW! lol. GB

I thought it was against the OT law to heal on the Sabbath.  Jesus healed on the Sabbath.  Or, maybe it was never against the law in the first place.  Maybe that's what man added to the law.  Didn't the Pharisees accuse Him of breaking the law or their interpretation of what the law was?

He (Jesus) did say He didn't come to abolish the law but to fulfill it.  

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the