Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:16:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Donations for Tsunami victims
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Donations for Tsunami victims  (Read 3614 times)
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2004, 02:10:09 PM »

Apart from our own churches, any suggestions on who donations should be given to for these who are suffering so terribly at this time?  (preferably a christ led org)

Which organizations have the best chance of getting aid quicky and directly to those who need it?

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 02:18:07 PM »

Apart from our own churches, any suggestions on who donations should be given to for these who are suffering so terribly at this time?  (preferably a christ led org)

Which organizations have the best chance of getting aid quicky and directly to those who need it?

Grace and Peace!
The Red Cross, I know my church has raised over 500.00 dollars so far. Tomorrow that money, plus what is raised today will go to the The Red Cross. They can get it there quicker then most. When the money goes in, you have to request it goes to the Earthquake/Tsunami victims.

Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 03:33:43 PM »

On the bottom right of my website (John 812) there is an ad for Medical Ambassadors. They are putting together a team to go over for provision of services on a longer term basis than most of the "emergency" providers will give. They plan on being there for a long time. If you click on their ad, it will take you to their site. Might consider them.

CORRECTION:
The ad for Medical Ambassadors is on the Master's Table site. The address is:
http://www.medicalmissionaries.org/mm/index.html
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 05:56:10 PM by Evangelist » Logged

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 04:06:38 PM »

OPERATION BLESSING------1-800-730-2537

Operation Blessing is a part of Pat Robertson's CBN.  You can go to that website at www.cbn.com and read about what they're doing.  Operation Blessing is there helping.  I think P. Robertson already has staffed OP offices in place over there.  Anyway you can read about it on his website.  I've always trusted donations get where they're supposed to go.

cris

Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask You to send Your Holy Spirit to comfort all those who grieve.  We ask for protection for all those who are volunteering.  We ask that the light of Your son Jesus Christ would shine more brightly than ever.  We ask You Lord God to manifest Yourself in a way in which people would know that You're real, especially the unsaved.  Father, we pray that many would see that light and turn their lives over to Jesus Christ.  Some of us are halfway around the earth and cannot physically be there to help.  Show us, Father, what You would have us do.  Quicken each and every one of us.  We thank You Father that You have heard our prayer.  We thank You for Your grace and protection.  Father, we ask that You would send Your angels to minister to and for all those in the disaster area.  We just pray that through this disaster, many will testify for Your glory.  We thank You that You've heard and answered our prayer Father God.  Amen and Amen

Patzt

I'm a blood bought child of God!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 12:36:15 AM »

GFA Responds to Deadly Tsunami

CARROLLTON, Texas, Dec. 27, 2004 - Gospel for Asia workers are rushing food, clothing, medical supplies-and the love of God-to millions of Asians still in deep shock from a disaster spawned by the most powerful earthquake in 40 years.

GFA President K.P. Yohannan, who returned from India the day after the powerful tsunami hurled devastating walls of water from Thailand to Africa, said GFA workers are already ministering among the estimated three million survivors huddled in massive refugee camps in India.  Others are serving in Sri Lanka and other hard-hit countries.

In Sri Lanka, where 12,000 deaths have been reported, 17 villages in the rebel-controlled north of the island have been especially hard hit, and an entire train with 1,000 people on board was washed away along a coastal rail line.

Amid the death and destruction, however, Brother K.P. reported this morning on how God's hand protected one Believer's Church congregation.

"In one of our churches in Sri Lanka, our believers were spared even though their entire village was washed away," Brother K.P. explained. "At the time the wave hit, they were all in church, and their church building is located up in the mountains."

But Christians have suffered alongside their countrymen throughout South Asia's devastated coastal regions. One pastor in Sri Lanka, Brother Logidasan, lost his wife, son, and mother when the waves crashed in on them.  The leader of GFA work in Sri Lanka, Lal Vanderwall, has called for prayer for the pastor and his coworkers as they try to minister to others in the midst of their own grief.

In India, the confirmed death toll has hit 11,000, but thousands more are still listed as missing. It may be weeks before a final number is known, as thousands of men, women, and children were swept out to sea as the killer waves retreated. Some were out for a Sunday morning stroll on the beach when the tsunami hit. More than 5,000 fishermen are missing, their small boats swamped and crushed by the awesome power of the rushing water.

Hundreds and perhaps thousands lost their lives in the Indian coastal states of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, and Kerala, where GFA has its Asian headquarters. Most of the victims knew nothing of the earthquake or the tsunami until the huge waves began rising up from the ocean in front of them. Most South Asian countries lack warning systems to alert the people to such imminent dangers.

As of this morning, reports were still coming in from GFA offices across Asia.

In the Andaman Islands a reported 6,000 people have been killed. In another miracle, however, all 26 GFA missionaries serving on the low-lying island chain are reported safe.

"We thank God for these miracles," Brother K.P. said, "and pray that He will use these believers to share His love and compassion with the millions who are suffering so terribly."

In the wake of this disaster, GFA's 1.5 million-member Believers Church in India is rallying support and deploying its leadership and members to minister to those suffering so horribly-both physically and spiritually.

"In times like these, we know that God opens the hearts of those who suffer, and we pray that as our workers demonstrate God's love to them, many of them will come to know for the first time that real security comes only through Him," Brother K.P. said. "We ask that our brothers and sisters in
the West take the time today to pray for these millions of victims, that they will feel God's presence and grace in a special way.  And please pray for our workers, that they will be given strength to serve in these horribly difficult circumstances."

"This is the most widespread disaster to hit Asia in decades," added Brother K.P., "and it is our prayer that in the face of such massive suffering, with your help we can become a shining beacon of God's love and
compassion."

To help GFA bring help and hope to the tsunami victims, please go to http://www.gfa.org/donate?DESIG=2520&motiv=WA4C-G1ER And to help you pray for these suffering men, women, and children, we will be posting updates and photos from the disaster areas as they become available at http://www.gfa.org/urgent?motiv=WA4C-G1ER

::: About Gospel for Asia: http://www.gfa.org/aboutgfa

::: Sign-up Information
 If you received this email as a forward and would like to sign up, please
visit our website at http://www.gfa.org/emailupdate and join over 157,000
Christians around the world who receive GFA's email update!

Gospel for Asia
 1800 Golden Trail Ct.
 Carrollton TX 75010
 800-WIN-ASIA
[/color]

Patzt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 12:37:46 AM »

5 million now are refugees
Help Bring God's Love to Tsunami Victims

Dear Caring Friend,

In a few days I will be going to India to assess the terrible situation that has developed as a result of the tsunami disaster. But before I leave, I want to let you know that even as the death toll continues to rise, our Gospel for Asia workers and volunteers are selflessly working long hours to minister among the five million survivors whose lives have been totally shattered.

According to most news reports, the death count from the killer waves has passed 26,000. One third are said to be children. And most experts say the death count will continue to rise.

A UN spokesman said the relief effort would be the costliest in history, with losses running in the billions of dollars.

In response to this tragedy, our GFA leaders in India have announced an Emergency Fund to provide victims with clean water, food, clothing, and critical medicines. GFA is also planning two additional phases that will help provide housing, spiritual counseling, and other needs during the next year.

To be effective, however, this fund needs your help. A gift of only $100 will provide the vital aid that a family of four needs to survive during this critical recovery period, and there are many families in dire situations.

We learned last night that my home state of Kerala was harder hit than we thought. Our leaders there told me that bodies continue to wash up on shore, and there are reports coming in that some of our churches were destroyed. Believers have also lost their homes and possessions, and many have lost family members and friends.

But despite their own suffering, our workers are rushing much-needed aid-and the love of God-to millions of Asians still in deep shock from a disaster spawned by the most powerful earthquake in 40 years.

The news reports are indeed terrible. In Sri Lanka, the death toll has topped 18,000. More than 1,000 people perished when their train was washed away along a coastal rail line.

In one of our churches in Sri Lanka, the believers were spared even though their entire village was washed away. At the time the wave hit, they were all in church, and their church building is located up in the mountains.

But our believers have suffered alongside their neighbors throughout the region. A pastor in Sri Lanka, Brother Logidasan, lost his wife, son, and mother when the waves crashed in on them. My friend Lal Vanderwall, the leader of GFA work in Sri Lanka, has called for prayer for the pastor and his coworkers as they try to minister to others in the midst of their own grief.

In India, the death toll has hit 7,000-many say it is higher-and thousands more are still listed as missing. It may be weeks before we know the final number. Thousands of people were swept out to sea as the killer waves retreated. It is sad to consider that some of them were just out taking a Sunday morning stroll on the beach when the tsunami hit. More than 5,000 fishermen are missing, their small boats swamped and crushed by the awesome power of the rushing water.

We thank God for these miracles and pray that He will use these believers to share His love and compassion with the millions who are suffering so terribly.

We know that in times like these, God opens the hearts of those who suffer, and we pray that as our workers demonstrate God's love to them, many will come to know for the first time that real security comes only through Him.

We ask that our brothers and sisters in the West take the time today to pray for these millions of victims, that they will feel God's presence and grace in a special way. And please pray for our workers, that they will be given strength to serve in these horribly difficult circumstances.

This is the most widespread disaster to hit Asia in more than 100 years. It is our prayer that with your help we can become a shining beacon of God's love and compassion in the face of such massive suffering.

I pray that you will help GFA bring aid and hope to these hurting men, women, and children by making a generous gift online today. Your gift of $100 will bring immediate, life-sustaining aid to a family-and will let them know that God loves them. Please give as He leads.

May God bless you for your compassion.

K.P. Yohannan
Founder & President

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 05:08:52 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I give thanks that so many Christians are praying for survivors of this horrible disaster. They will need our prayers and support for a long time.

I don't have a web site for them, but I know of another large group of doctors called "Doctors Without Borders" who are already there and still responding. I would think that the Red Cross already has the transport structure to move large amounts of desperately needed supplies, including medical supplies. If I heard correctly, the American Red Cross received over 9 million dollars within minutes of hearing the news. The International Red Cross does have ships, planes, and trucks, and I would hope that commercial carriers will donate additional transportation. Many of the areas that need help the worst are very poor and without proper roads. We need to pray that a proper number of trucks that can travel rough terrain will be provided.

I know that some of the first television footage indicated fancy resorts being hit, but everything around those resorts were homes for very poor and massive numbers of people. I know that the American Red Cross has many qualified disaster relief managers. They also have the contacts to get things transported and distributed. Many thousands of professional volunteers for the Red Cross will go to work and not charge anyone a penny for their labor. I really don't think there is any other international organization that can handle something this huge and horrible. We will also need to pray for the thousands of volunteers who will risk their own lives to help these suffering people.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Patzt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 12:54:27 AM »

Here you are Tom...

DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 02:48:37 AM »

Thanks Sister Pat!

I've spent the last 4 days with my son and grandsons, so I just got an update on the news just a few minutes ago. I was really happy to hear that many of the worst transportation problems are being handled by the U.S. Military, specifically helicopters to many areas that are extremely difficult to reach.

I understand that the response by qualified medical personnel is massive. The conditions for disease have actually gotten worse with additional rains. If they don't get things under control, I would hate to imagine the number of additional casualties, maybe triple or more. I also understand there may be cultural issues about handling the dead that are going to make things much worse. I'm sad to say that I don't think we've seen the worst of this yet, and those people will need our prayers and help for a long time to come.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Hebrews 4:16  Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the