Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:13:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Modest Clothing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Modest Clothing  (Read 12964 times)
Judy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 07:12:00 PM »

Freak - Why don't you change your name on here...'cause I'm sure you're not a Freak...LOL
Freak

Reality is a fantasy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2005, 10:17:33 PM »

I can be pretty freaky. Plus my dog is named Freak and she's adorable. She's bassett/blue heeler mix. She's so ugly she's cute.
Music4Him

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2005, 11:41:31 PM »

There are so many different views on modesty that it's very hard to define.  I am currently in college, and some of the things I see in class or on campus make me embarrassed for that person.  I consider modest to mean everything is covered and not picking your clothes with the intention of looking "hot."  Sure everyone likes to look nice and where clothes that are flattering, but there are ways to do that without showing too much skin.  For example, with shirts, make sure it isn't too low and no clevage is showing.  If you're afraid something might fall out, it's probably not an appropriate shirt.  Also, I don't believe a shirt is modest if it shows a girl's stomach.  And last but not least, some people ould even go so far as to say that if a girl's bra strap is showing, it is immodest.  This is an example of my opinion of modesty.  I could go a lot farther, but I won't torture you all. Wink

Faith means being sure of the things we hope for and knowing that something is real even if we do not see it. Hebrews 11:1
   The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor. The one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2005, 11:43:49 AM »

Love n' Hugs, \o/

KristiAnn
MsGuidedAngel
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 11:52:51 AM by MsGuidedAngel » Logged

Cashrader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 04:43:15 PM »

I think a good rule of thumb is if you would be embarassed or unwilling to wear it to church....you shouldn't be wearing it anywhere.
Proud2BeIFB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 12:37:28 PM »

Christians weather male or female should cover their bodies and not expose parts that could turn the eye of the opposite sex.

Woman should not wear sleevless tops or dresses. Short sleves are great. Woman should not wear dresses or skirts above the knee. We are to cover our bodies and not show what we have. That is where immorality will come into play, either by the part of the person wering it or the roaming eye.

I attend an IFB church and they believe all woman should wear skirts all the time. I myself do wear skirts all the time but not because my church says so. It is because it is what God wants us to wear. Now I do not condemn the women that do wear pants. On occasion I do thow on a pair of jeans to go out in if it is super cold out.  And I wear pants around the house.

Now, my own opinion. As long as the person is appropriatly covered and not showing a lot of skin then I feel it is ok.

I see why God wants us to cover. We have a few women that come into church with the REALLY high heels, short skirts, and sleevless tops, and you will see most of the men, married or not, glaring at them quite often.
People are human, and feelings will arouse, men and womens thoughts will wander.
There should be a dress code for church. This is my own opinion.
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 06:18:10 PM »

I tend to keep my hair about shoulder-length or shorter, since its thin. I usually wear jeans to work, town and around the house, with flannel shirts or tees. I wear a dress or a skirt to church, or my nice wool pants. I don't wear shorts or skirts higher than my calves because I think I look silly in them.  Roll Eyes
My sister only wears pants on occasion. She has thick, thick hair down to her bottom, and heavy skirts down to her toes. She rarely wears short-sleeved shirts, and never sleeveless. (Same family. Go figure.)

I'm not a feminist or anything, but all the "rules" on conservative dress drive me crazy sometimes!  Embarrassed We know families who say women can only wear silk, cotton, or other light fabric; if they wear denim or any heavier fabric, that's considered "men's clothing". Women can only wear light colors, mostly pastels. If they wear darker colors, that's "men's clothing". Prints for women's clothes must be small and feminine, preferably floral, no stripes or plaids. They can only wear their hair in certain styles, and it must be long-long-long. They can't look people in the eye, that's too manly. They can't laugh much, that's too manly. They can't talk a lot, that's too manly. Oh dear! I'm all befuddled!  Tongue

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
kittiara

Clinging to my faith.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 03:42:02 PM »

My idea of modest clothing is pretty much as has been said before. I never wear tops that would make me feel worried about bending over.

And I am a trousers kind of woman - I have one or two skirts but hardly ever wear them because they gives me trouble walking  Grin, they are down to my ankles. I am a shorty anyway so a lot of clothing tends to be too big for me. And with trousers I need to worry less about how I sit. It is rather cold, wearing skirts and dresses around here.

I think that as far as feminine clothing goes, I am not quite the trendsetter. I love to wear hooded tops, comfy jumpers, walking boots/shoes, that sort of thing. Practical for the weather here and very comfortable.

I do admit to having some tops that are a bit more tight fitting. They are, however, not overly revealing.

Don't worry too much about other people's opinions, that would be my advise. Just wear whatever you feel comfortable in and what feels right for you.

And, though this may not sound very nice, you can't please everyone no matter what you do. So really, I wouldn't worry.
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2005, 10:51:01 AM »

I attend an IFB church and they believe all woman should wear skirts all the time. I myself do wear skirts all the time but not because my church says so. It is because it is what God wants us to wear.

God never once said He wants us to wear dresses, so may I ask on what  authority you make this statement?

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
M

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2005, 06:36:13 PM »

Deuteronomy 22:5  "A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the Lord your God detests anyone who does this."

Of course, in cultures wear men wear robes or "skirts" there must be something that makes their clothing different from the women's clothing.  In Biblical times, women and men wore distinctly different clothing.  

Personally, I wear dresses and skirts with long hair in feminine styles and colours because I absolutely wouldn't want anyone to think that I wasn't the woman God created me to be.  I suppose some would argue that woman's pants are different than men's pants.  Kilts are differently a men's garment, ask any Scot.  
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2005, 07:00:38 PM »

My mother has a friend who will wear green jeans, pink jeans, brown, red, black, and yellow jeans...but she will not wear blue jeans, because blue jeans are men's clothing!  Cheesy Ah well.
I agree with you, M; while scripture doesn't say that women must wear dresses or skirts, it is appropriate for a woman to dress differently than a man...

Now, where's the verse telling men not to wear women's clothing?  Grin

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2005, 07:08:42 PM »

Funny how the people who use this scripture to tell women they must wear dresses, fail to also teach scripture must be read in context, with understanding of who the author was talking  too?  
If you obey Deut 22:5, why not obey the rest of that passage?
Why not this one:?   Deu 22:12  Thou shalt make thee fringes upon the four quarters of thy vesture, wherewith thou coverest thyself.
or this one:
Deu 22:12  On the four edges of your robe, with which your body is covered, put ornaments of twisted threads.
or why dont we still stone those women who are caught in the act of adultry?  (not wanting to go there because some cultures still do!)  Angry

Why? Because it doesnt apply to us, NONE of it.

Not to mention, when this passage was penned, men and women both wore dresses , so that scripture couldnt possibly be referring to a "dress"

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
M

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2005, 10:57:32 AM »

I think Proud2BeIFB had some other important ideas about modesty.  If she feels she should wear dresses and skirts most of the time, that is good.  You might think about how people in your church would react to a man showing up for worship wearing a dress, and I don't mean a kilt.  

Schools have dress codes.  Do you ever stop to wonder why?  

The original posting had to do with modest clothing and worship.  

Christians weather male or female should cover their bodies and not expose parts that could turn the eye of the opposite sex.

Woman should not wear sleevless tops or dresses. Short sleves are great. Woman should not wear dresses or skirts above the knee. We are to cover our bodies and not show what we have. That is where immorality will come into play, either by the part of the person wering it or the roaming eye.

I attend an IFB church and they believe all woman should wear skirts all the time. I myself do wear skirts all the time but not because my church says so. It is because it is what God wants us to wear. Now I do not condemn the women that do wear pants. On occasion I do thow on a pair of jeans to go out in if it is super cold out.  And I wear pants around the house.

Now, my own opinion. As long as the person is appropriatly covered and not showing a lot of skin then I feel it is ok.

I see why God wants us to cover. We have a few women that come into church with the REALLY high heels, short skirts, and sleevless tops, and you will see most of the men, married or not, glaring at them quite often.
People are human, and feelings will arouse, men and womens thoughts will wander.
There should be a dress code for church. This is my own opinion.
LedByTheLamb

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2005, 07:43:17 PM »

Well, to be honest we are not suppose to be vain.  And it says in the bible (1st Corinth. Huh) that women should not dress like men and men should not dress like women. It is an abomination unto the Lord.  Most take that to mean that men wear britches/pants (britches are mentioned in the bible I think 4 times and always in reference to men) so that would mean that women are not suppose to wear pants.  Our alternative would be dresses or skirts.   I dont see in the bible where it states that it has to be so many inches above the ankles, or anything about sleeves... but we all know that a miniskirt is not modest, skimpy tanks are not modest, anything low cut or too tight ect ect ect.  We can make excuses all day long as to why our own clothing is modest...but really should pray for conviction to understand what God does not want us wearing.  
Dawn
PeterAV
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2005, 05:03:38 PM »

Quote from: Freak Yeah. I would define modest as clothing that would not cause anyone to fall into lust. [quote
a person could be covered from head to toe and someone
could still lust after you.Take a look at the muslims;the women
are  covered from head to toe yet that doesn't stop the men
from lusting after them. Yes ,modesty does have it's place,
but the men also have a responsibility for their own thoughts
and actions.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 05:10:24 PM by PeterAV » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the