Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:33:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "According to the Purpose of HIm"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "According to the Purpose of HIm"  (Read 4224 times)
ollie
« on: June 30, 2003, 08:05:54 PM »

Ephesians 1:11.  "In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:"

"....predestinated according to the purpose of Him...."

Who is predestinated?  The "we" of this verse. Who is the "we"?  Paul and the church at Ephesus. Christians, Saints, the saved.

How are they predestinated? "....according to the purpose of Him...."

What is His purpose?  "....working all things after the counsel of His own will...."

What is His will?

Ephesians 3:11.  According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:

Acts 2:17.  "And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
 18.  And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

19.  And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
 20.  The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
 21.  And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
 22.  Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
 23.  Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
 24.  Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

25.  For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
 26.  Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
 27.  Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
 28.  Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

29.  Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
 30.  Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
 31.  He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

32.  This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
 33.  Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the Promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
 34.  For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
 35.  Until I make thy foes thy footstool.
 36.  Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ."
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 08:03:24 PM by ollie » Logged
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 04:11:08 PM »

Ephesians 1:11.  "In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:"

"....predestinated according to the purpose of Him...."

Who is predestinated?  The "we" of this verse. Who is the "we"?  Paul and the church at Ephesus. Christians, Saints, the saved.

How are they predestinated? "....according to the purpose of Him...."

What is His purpose?  "....working all things after the counsel of His own will...."

What is His will?

Ollie,

The answer to your question is found in the very next verse;

Eph 1
11  In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12  That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

Everthing God, does, is for the prupose that "he might be praised and glorified."

God Bless,

Petro

Nikki

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 11:20:33 PM »

I believe that this refers to the mystery of God's will which is explained in verses 9-10, which is the summing up (gathering together again into one or reuniting under one Head)  of all things in Christ, both things on the earth and things in the heavens. Believers have an inheritance or an allottment in this plan. God bless.

1:9
He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him

Ephesians 1:10
with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him

Ephesians 1:11
also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will,

Ephesians 1:12
to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory.

God bless.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2003, 11:23:26 PM by Nikki » Logged
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 01:53:32 AM »

"For the scripture says to Pharoah, 'I have raised you up for the purpose of showing my power in you, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.'  So then he has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills."  Romans 9:17-8

ollie
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 07:16:30 PM »

2 Timothy 1:8.  Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;
 9.  Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
 10.  But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 07:53:02 PM »

2 Timothy 1:8.  Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;
 9.  Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
 10.  But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

Amen, Ollie,

That reminds me, that although death, has not been taken out of the way yet...it speaks of it in the past tense, herein;  meaning it is as good as done..it is set in concrete.

Death has been abolished, and evidence of it, is that Jesus, rose from the dead;

Acts 2
23  Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
24  Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

God Bless,
Petro

ollie
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 08:16:59 PM »

Amen, Ollie,

That reminds me, that although death, has not been taken out of the way yet...it speaks of it in the past tense, herein;  meaning it is as good as done..it is set in concrete.
A very good thought and one to keep in mind when studying.

Death has been abolished, and evidence of it, is that Jesus, rose from the dead;
Yes, seen through ones faith and life in Christ.

Acts 2
23  Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
24  Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
It is the glory of God.

God Bless,
Petro

Thanks and God bless you also.
Ollie
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 08:18:09 PM by ollie » Logged
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 11:13:44 PM »

Amen, Ollie,

A very good thought and one to keep in mind when studying.

Yes, seen through ones faith and life in Christ.

Acts 2
It is the glory of God.

God Bless,
Petro

Thanks and God bless you also.
Ollie

Good word Bro,

Here is another one, I know you it, but I'll post it anyhow.

1 Cor 15
55  O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
56  The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
57  But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58  Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

Amazingly,  I wasn't not thinking of the second two verses when I thought of the "sting of death", but they sure are conforting, and encouraging.

Just sharing the word is abounding in the work..

God Bless,

Petro

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the