Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:50:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Holy Spirit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holy Spirit  (Read 13498 times)
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2004, 04:13:00 PM »

Spiritual discernment is done with the mind of man as it is enlightened by the Word of God. It is not done by that funny feeling one gets in the stomach which more than likely is just bad pepperoni anyway.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim  you do have a way with words! Grin

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2004, 05:26:14 PM »

Spiritual discernment is done with the mind of man as it is enlightened by the Word of God. It is not done by that funny feeling one gets in the stomach which more than likely is just bad pepperoni anyway.

Pilgrim

I know that is true. If you are talking about spiritual discernment what I meant by "It is spiritual discernment, not logical discernment." is logical discernment is judgement by man's knowledge (ie science) and spiritual discernment is discernment by the truths of God given to us by the Holy Spirit (which is primarily from scripture and other works). We know that to test spirit we see if they acknowledge Jesus Christ not if what they say is what we want to hear. A person may judge a prophet by how he looks, what he says and not consider the truths of what he says. Judging a person by their intelligence or looks is man's judgement. I can very well say something intelligently sound, quote specifically from the KJV etc. but if you believe me because of those things then that is wrong.

Spiritual discernment is recognizing the truths of God in the message. Logical discernment is recognition of the rhetoric, sophistication, and scientific sense. This was the wisdom of the pharisees (logical discernment)...

They could make up anything about Jesus like "only by the devil can Jesus cast out demons" and make it look logical. These men did not have that spiritual discernment or else they would not have crucified Jesus.

Im not saying spiritual discernment is that funny feeling in your stomach.  Smiley

Have you seen people try to fit God's word to their own desire and will? They try to compromise and reconcile the word to what they want. And they can make it look sound and logical. This is logical discernment. Isnt this what Satan was doing while Jesus was tempted by him? "Tell God to turn these stones into bread" This seems right but Jesus knew what was wrong. Jesus, from a logical perspective, could have satisfied his hunger by asking God to turn these stones into bread. Here, Jesus had a need and Satan was offering a solution. However, Jesus knew that we don't live by food alone by every word of God. Jesus very well could have reconciled and compromised the word to fit his need and satisfy his hunger; but he knew better.

So what is spiritual discernment? Because it is spirtual it must come from the Holy Spirit. But then how do I know the difference between logical and spiritual discernment? If you do not use logical discernment (remember that this is reconciling and compromising much like what the pharisees did) then it will be spiritual. It's as simple as that, seek what God wants and not what you want.

I know it may sound as if I'm saying we don't need knowledge of scripture at all and we can rely on the Holy Spirit for everything. That is backwards. I am saying that the Holy Spirit is paramount in regards to knowledge. We cannot think our knowledge is absolute or any other man's. We must spiritually discern it.

Man's knowledge tends to make Christ complicated. We miss the simplicity of Christ that way.

As living by faith said "May God bless us as we try to understand and accept His WORD as truth without interference by man."
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2004, 05:29:47 PM »

It is exactly this!

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=6165
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2004, 05:53:10 PM »

We know that to test spirit we see if they acknowledge Jesus Christ not if what they say is what we want to hear.

Mar 1:23 “And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out, 24  Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God.”

So did this unclean spirit pass your test? He was speaking to Jesus Christ in the flesh and it acknowledged Him as the holy one of God.

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2004, 11:09:44 PM »

We know that to test spirit we see if they acknowledge Jesus Christ not if what they say is what we want to hear.

Mar 1:23 “And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out, 24  Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God.”

So did this unclean spirit pass your test? He was speaking to Jesus Christ in the flesh and it acknowledged Him as the holy one of God.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim, I meant acknowledging Jesus as Lord.

1 John 4:1-3
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God.

1 Cor 12:3
Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.

felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2004, 11:21:40 PM »

As for that unclean spirit it did acknowledge Christ as the Holy One of God. However, I dont think it would ever confess that Jesus was from God in flesh. KJV makes a lot better translation...

1 John 4

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Jesus Christ is LORD!
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2004, 07:59:14 AM »

As for that unclean spirit it did acknowledge Christ as the Holy One of God. However, I dont think it would ever confess that Jesus was from God in flesh.

It already has, Jesus was in the flesh when the unclean spirit spoke those words.

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2004, 02:44:25 PM »

As for that unclean spirit it did acknowledge Christ as the Holy One of God. However, I dont think it would ever confess that Jesus was from God in flesh.

It already has, Jesus was in the flesh when the unclean spirit spoke those words.

Pilgrim

I do not understand. So are you saying that this unclean spirit was from God???

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God:

Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh IS FROM GOD, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus IS NOT FROM GOD.

Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.

felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2004, 02:53:52 PM »

They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognze the Spirit of Truth and the spirit of Falsehood.
1 John 4:5-6
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2004, 04:21:46 PM »

Pilgrim

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God:

Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh IS FROM GOD, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus IS NOT FROM GOD.

No! I am saying that your test is not what you think it is. I have demonstrated that an unclean spirit can pass your test which is not what the Scripture teaches.

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
gary cook

born again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2004, 04:58:41 AM »

You know 2 great things the LORD has revealed to me ?Which are in HIS LIVING WORD .but with very little teachings.one is HIS NEW REST .ASK HIm to tell you if this is TRUTH and if so .You would like to experiance it .the other id the rivers of living water .it is wonderful .But I don"t know why we experiance it ?I"ve been hoping to meet someone who has ?any one experianced these things ?pm me or post thank you

lean not to your own understanding ,the just live by faith ,you do not need to be taught of any man ,the HOLY  SPIRIT will teach you everything .We are NEW CREATURES IN CHRIST JESUS .NOT OF THIS WORLD .WE ARE AS OUR LORD .HE WILL RETURN SOON FOR HIS BRIDE .Rev 1:6  And hath made us kings and priests
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2004, 12:08:17 PM »

I'll just throw this in as food for thought.  As a fella who's preached a time or two, I've always found that my study was of great importance.  I had to dig in to get what was there.  It's interesting how Jesus used the example of searching for hidden treasure in regards to this very subject.  I don't usually find treasure layin' around.  It requires me to get into the word and dig for it.  But the most important thing I ever learned in all of my studies, was that I was studying to find out what God said.  Not to prove He said what I thought He said...

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2004, 11:56:34 PM »

Pilgrim

No! I am saying that your test is not what you think it is. I have demonstrated that an unclean spirit can pass your test which is not what the Scripture teaches.

Pilgrim

My test? I was refering to the tests from scripture. Did I need to point that out? (rhetorical question) I think that was obvious.

If you notice this has little to do with the original topic which was: man's knowledge alone cannot find the truths of God; only through the Holy Spirit.

Why are you so focused in proving yourself right and me wrong? I still cannot find what you are rebuking as I have already made clear all your assumptions. Do you think this message was against and thus, you are fiercely trying to defend yourself? I assure you I know very little about you or your stances on things; but that is irrelevant.

Tell me plainly what you think is wrong.

Do not read the name of the writer first and make preconceived notions on how to reply BEFORE you actually read the message. I can tell this happens. Some people make up their minds to agree or disagree, belive or disbelive BEFORE they even read the message because they have seen who has written it. This is when you seek to judge man instead of seeking to find truth.

felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2004, 12:53:50 AM »

Do you still think I am saying not to study the bible or just read less and let the Holy Spirit do more? NO. I am speaking against relying on man's knowledge alone.

I see why this is hard to understand as...how can we stop relying on man's knowledge and start relying on the Holy Spirit? How do I recognize that?? What am I talking about?

As I say again, this was written for a particular person; one of whom I knew the mind of.

When we rely on Man's knowledge:
Man writes and speaks for the approval of man
Man rebukes a man because of the man (not for what they do, speak, or write but for who they are in this world)
Man praises a man because of the man (not for what they do, speak, or write but for who they are in this world)

When we rely on the Holy Spirit:
Man writes and speaks for the approval of God
Man rebukes a man in love
Man praises a man in love

It is not that we do not rely on our knowledge; our knowledge is essential. Scripture is very powerful as Jesus even quoted directly from it and did not rationalize with Satan. Our knowledge should always be increasing. So what exactly am I saying?

Knowledge is wisdom. If you rely on your own wisdom(or knowledge) to find the truths of God you will not. So why do you treat it as such? Did not God say, "I will make the wisdom of the world foolishness." ?
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2004, 03:51:43 AM »

Huh Lips Sealed

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the