Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:27:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Prophecy and End Time Series. - Israel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prophecy and End Time Series. - Israel  (Read 58913 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 01, 2006, 05:46:55 PM »

Brother that is absolutely horific. With the research that you have done into that war I am sure that you must have a lot of such information.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 01, 2006, 05:49:10 PM »

With people such as President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad it is obvious that they are liars. I find it hard to believe that with such blatant lies that they still gain the respect and assistance from various other countries.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 01, 2006, 05:59:06 PM »

Brother that is absolutely horific. With the research that you have done into that war I am sure that you must have a lot of such information.

I do and there is, though I am reluctent to post it. The material, would make you cry. Cry

With people such as President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad it is obvious that they are liars. I find it hard to believe that with such blatant lies that they still gain the respect and assistance from various other countries.

Well what do you expect out of the land of a portion of  Gog.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: January 01, 2006, 06:02:28 PM »

'Palestinians agree':
Wipe Israel off map
Arab leader claims there's consensus Iran's president correct with solution
Posted: January 1, 2006
4:53 p.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (courtesy Radio Netherlands)

A senior Palestinian official says Palestinians share the sentiment of Iran's president that Israel should be "wiped off the map," or at the very least, moved to Europe.

The statement from Mahir al-Tahir, representative of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, was reported by the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting News Network.

In November, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad threatened to "wipe Israel off the map."

Then in December, he suggested European nations should give up some of their territory if they believed the World War II-era Holocaust took place, noting, "certain European countries would have the world go with their stand that Hitler killed millions of innocent Jews in furnaces and have passed laws punishing anyone who says anything to the contrary."

"Granting without accepting that the Holocaust did occur, our question to the Europeans is: 'If innocent Jews were indeed butchered by Hitler, why should Palestinians be made to pay the cost in order to seek redress for the occupiers of Jerusalem?'"

Ahmadinejad continued: "If the killing of Jews in Europe is true and the Zionists are being supported because of this excuse, why should the Palestinian nation pay the price?"

"The Islamic world should give up its policy of passivity and deal with the Palestinian issue more actively," he said.

On Friday, al-Tahir of the PFLP stated Ahmadinejad's view is based on historical realities.

'Palestinians agree': Wipe Israel off map

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 01, 2006, 06:19:26 PM »

Quote from: DreamWeaver link=board=4;threadid=5900;start=165#msg117887

I do and there is, though I am reluctent to post it. The material, would make you cry. Cry

[quote

No, I wouldn't want any of that. I have already seen and heard most of that and it did make me cry.

I was meaning though information of the less graphic nature.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2006, 12:25:21 PM »

Iran President: Israel Completed Holocaust
Jan 01 5:34 PM US/Eastern

By NASSER KARIMI
Associated Press Writer

TEHRAN, Iran

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Iran's hard-line president who has said the Holocaust was a myth, now has charged that European countries sought to complete the genocide by establishing a Jewish state in the midst of Muslim countries.

"Don't you think that continuation of genocide by expelling Jews from Europe was one of their aims in creating a regime of occupiers of Al- Quds (Jerusalem)?" the official Islamic Republic News agency quoted Ahmadinejad as saying Sunday. "Isn't that an important question?"

Ahmadinejad said Europeans had decided to create a "Jewish camp" as the best means for ridding the continent of Jews. He said the camp, Israel, now enjoyed support from the United States and Europe in the slaughter of Muslims.

In October, Ahmadinejad called for Israel to be "wiped off the map."

Last month, Ahmadinejad said the Holocaust, in which Nazi Germany killed six million Jews, was a myth. After global outrage over the comments, he said that Europeans, if they insist the Holocaust occurred, should cede some of their territory for a Jewish state.

He said anti-Semitism had a long history in Europe, while Jews had lived peacefully among Muslims for centuries.

His remarks have been condemned by the White House, Israel, Germany, France and the European Commission, among others. Germany has said the remarks would affect negotiations over Iran's nuclear program.

European negotiators are pushing Iran to move its uranium enrichment facilities to Russia in a compromise solution to a dispute with the United States, which wants to stop Iran from producing nuclear weapons. Talks are set to continue this month.

Iran's top nuclear negotiator, Ali Larijani, said the Russian proposal that the two nations enrich uranium in Russian territory could not ignore Iran's right to carry out enrichment at home.

"It's not logical for a country to put the fate of its nation at the disposal of another country even if it's a friend. You can meet part of your fuel needs from abroad," Larijani said on state-run television late Sunday.

"History and experience show that if you don't have technology, you will damage your independence," he said.

Larijani also warned of a "crushing" response if its nuclear and military facilities were attacked by the U.S. or Israel.

"If there is any truth in such talks, Israel will suffer greatly. It's a very small country within our range," he said.

Iran said Sunday it has produced equipment for separating uranium from its ore, a fresh development in Tehran's drive to control the nuclear- fuel cycle, state television reported Sunday.

The broadcast claimed the "settler-mixer" was a highly effective way to produce uranium, quoting Amir Hossein Farhadi, a researcher for Iran's Atomic Energy Organization.

"Foreign countries were not ready to sell it to Iran since it could be applicable in the cycle," Farhadi said.

Iran claims the program is solely for generating electricity.

The U.S. has pushed for Iran to be taken before the United Nations Security Council, where it could face economic sanctions over the dispute.

Click me, to read the report.

My note; Mahmoud Ahmadinejad just can't seem to make up his mind. He says one thing, then another, destroying creditable he says. Grin

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2006, 12:10:59 AM »

Vatican also wants Jerusalem?

Vatican envoy: Israel, Palestinians cannot be trusted to safeguard holy sites
Ahiya Raved

Israel cannot be trusted? The Vatican's legal advisor in Israel, David Jaeger, harshly criticized Israel’s policy regarding safeguarding Christian holy sites.

Speaking during an international conference at a Haifa University conference Tuesday, Jaeger said Jerusalem is an important city the fate of which should not be left in the hands of Israel and the Palestinians.

Any solution to the status of Jerusalem needs the approval of the international community, said Jaeger, adding that the Palestinian Authority has also failed in keeping with international conventions on preserving holy sites.

Jaeger said there is a contradiction between agreements signed between Israel and the Vatican on preserving Christian Holy sites and Israeli laws dating from the British mandate in Palestine.

The Israeli government took away the courts' authority to deal with issues related to lands and funds belonging to the Roman Catholic Church, causing legal disputes that have been dragging in courts for years, the Vatican envoy said.

The conference is a unique opportunity to hold academic discussions of issues pertaining to Jerusalem and holy sites, bring together intellectuals and experts from Israel, the territories and the international community.

Dr. Yitzhak Reiter, one of the event's organizers, said: “Our aim is to hold a discussion on the burning issue of Jerusalem – at a time of relative calm – in an attempt to try finding solutions acceptable to all sides. We should remember that the breakthrough that led to the Oslo Accord started with a similar discourse between Israeli and Palestinian intellectuals under international sponsorship."

Vatican also wants Jerusalem?

My note;  I guess the Vatican want more of the world.....
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 12:12:47 AM by DreamWeaver » Logged

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2006, 12:19:59 AM »

Iran insists it has right to enrich uranium
KSENIA SVETLOVA and news agencies, THE JERUSALEM POST    Jan. 2, 2006

The spokesman for the government of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad insisted on Monday that Iran has a "right" to carry out uranium enrichment, the process that could lead to the development of a nuclear bomb, on its own soil, despite efforts by Russia to have the work transferred to Russian soil to ease international concerns, Iranian media reported.

Gholam-Hossein Elham, however, told journalists at his weekly press conference that Teheran would study the Russian proposal on the basis that it could carry out enrichment domestically as well.

Ali Larijani, secretary-general of Iran's Supreme National Security Council and top nuclear negotiator, officially rejected on Sunday any Russian proposal that would overlook Iran's right to enrichment within its own borders.

The offer would deny Teheran's right to "be in charge of its own fate" on energy matters, Larijani told state television.

Official Teheran has rejected the Russian offer, but Moscow is not going to call it quits. Sources close to Sergei Kirienko, the head of ROSATOM, the federal atomic energy agency, told The Jerusalem Post that the issue will be discussed further during Kirienko's official visit to Iran next month. Kirienko was appointed the head of the agency in November 2005 and it will be his first visit to Iran as a head of ROSATOM.

According to Sergei Novikov, Kirienko's press secretary, in the course of the visit Kirienko will inspect the nuclear reactor in Busher, which is supposed to go on line later this year and will hold negotiations with the heads of Iranian atomic energy program. Among other issues, the highly disputed Russian offer to enrich uranium will be discussed, disclosed the source.

Iranian government-controlled television reported that the subject was also discussed in a telephone conversation last week between Igor Ivanov, head of Russia's National Security Council, and Larijani, who criticized the offer but didn't reject it out-of-hand. Ivanov's office denies this report.

During the last 10 days, the Iranian position on the Russian offer has changed several times - from a complete denial that such an offer was ever made, to a statement by Jawad Vaidi, head of the Iranian negotiating team in Vienna, who said Iran is willing to further study the offer.

Moscow still hopes that the latest declaration is not the end of the story, as the heads of state see this deal as the only possible solution to the Iranian atomic dead-end.

Russia sees in Iran a vital strategic and economic partner and is eager to maintain its ties with Teheran, but not at the cost of compromising relations with the EU-3, Britain, Germany and France. While the activating of the reactor at Busher draws closer then ever, analysts believe Moscow will increasingly apply its political leverage in attempt to have the offer accepted or at least reconsidered.

Iran insists it has right to enrich uranium

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2006, 06:10:37 PM »

Sharon suffers second collapse

Israel's prime minister Ariel Sharon has been rushed to hospital to undergo surgery for a brain haemorrhage but may not recover, a senior political source has said.

Mr Sharon's authority has been transferred to his deputy, Ehud Olmert.

The prime minister was taken to the hospital from his ranch in the Negev desert. Local media reported that his lower body had been paralysed.

The incident is the second serious health scare to befall Mr Sharon in less than a month. On Dec 18 he suffered a mild stroke and was hospitalised for three days.

The episode came at a precarious moment in his career. Frustrated by attacks from the right wing of his own Likud party, Ariel Sharon had quit to form a new centrist movement, named Kadima.

After Mr Sharon's collapse it was feared that the new party, which was tipped for victory in Israel's forthcoming elections, would die with its founder.

His doctors didn't expect long-term health complications to result from the incident, but they discovered a birth defect in the prime minister's heart that apparently contributed to his collapse.

For the past month Mr Sharon has been receiving blood thinners to try to prevent a recurrence of the clotting that caused the first stroke.

He was scheduled to have a heart operation tomorrow in the Jerusalem hospital where he is now being treated.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2006, 12:23:25 AM »

'Rocket barrage
if Sharon dies'
1 terror leader threatening life of replacement prime minister
Posted: January 4, 2006
7:36 p.m. Eastern

JERUSALEM – Palestinian groups in the Gaza Strip are watching the news regarding Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's deteriorating health carefully and will celebrate with Qassam rocket firings at Jewish towns if Sharon dies, terror leaders told WorldNetDaily.

One militant leader threatened the life of Sharon's temporary replacement, Deputy Minister Ehud Olmert, who was installed as prime minister just hours ago.

"I am ready with my candies and my rockets and praying to Allah that Sharon dies. We have prepared a celebratory barrage of rockets ready to fire into Israel on the occasion of the death of our enemy," said Abu Abir, spokesman for the Popular Resistance Committees, an umbrella group of Hamas and Islamic Jihad terrorists responsible for firing hundreds of Qassam rockets and mortars at Jewish towns.

Hamas leader Dr. Mahmoud al-Zahar told WND Sharon's condition "plunges the Israeli political scene into chaos, which could bring about an equal response from the Palestinians."

Sharon tonight was rushed to the hospital and suffered a "significant stroke" that caused "massive bleeding to the brain," according to officials at Jerusalem's Hadassah University Hospital, which is treating the Israeli leader. Sharon is undergoing emergency surgery after being anesthetized and placed on a breathing machine, one of Sharon's attending physicians told reporters.

Executive powers have been officially transferred to Olmert. According to Knesset law, Olmert can serve for a maximum 100 days, after which new elections would be held.

Sources close to Sharon told WND the prime minister's condition is life threatening, and that there was a significant chance he might not survive.

"We are not hopeful," said a senior Sharon aide.

One senior political leader said he has information Sharon is "clinically dead. He is on life support machines in the operating theater that can keep him alive for an extended period, but doctors are pessimistic he can return to normal functioning."

Celebrations reportedly are underway in the Gaza Strip, with families distributing sweets and gunmen shooting into the air.

"I personally am waiting to celebrate. I have my fingers crossed," Abu Abir said. "Sharon was one of our biggest enemies."

Abu Abir told WND now that Olmert is serving as prime minister "he is moved up on our list of targets. We will target Olmert with a lot of might."

Al-Zahar said he is hoping Sharon survives.

"Sharon's new party Kadima was good for us. They made clear in no uncertain terms that part of their platform was more withdrawals from the West Bank and from Jerusalem. His passing from the political scene now places all of that in jeopardy. We don't know what are the policies of Olmert. Whether he supports giving us the West Bank and Jerusalem."

Sharon this past summer withdrew Israel's Jewish communities from the Gaza Strip in spite of fierce opposition from members of his own Likud party. He recently announced he is leaving Likud to start his own "centrist" party, Kadima, prompting new elections that were scheduled for March. Since then, multiple Kadima members have told reporters the new party is looking to change Israel's borders and may withdraw from parts of the West Bank.

But Israeli commentators across the political spectrum criticized Kadima as a one man party and warned Sharon's health could negatively impact the party's chances of winning upcoming elections.

Sharon suffered a stroke last month. Doctors were planning to perform an invasive cardiac procedure tomorrow to close a microscopic hole in the Israeli leaders heart.

His exact condition tonight is unknown.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2006, 08:54:53 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I am just one old "fundy" who loves to read the Holy Bible and study Bible Prophecy. I am at a complete loss to understand why Israel would give a square inch to avowed terrorists who are determined to kill them. It appears to be insane to give the terrorists any advantage that would reduce the security of Israel.

There is an old and unquestioned lesson here that appears to have been ignored. You don't negotiate with terrorists, and you never give terrorists anything positive for the violence and killing they have done. Why would anyone make a treaty with someone who is killing innocent people before, during, and after the so-called treaty? Is there a logical answer for this question? NO! In the same circumstances, what would any other nation in the world do?

NOW, we get down to Jerusalem, the absolute center for end of this age events. CHRISTIANS - Read, Study, and Watch! If you have burdens on your heart about lost family members and friends, give your attention to that burden now.  This might or might not be the last days of this age, but the burdens on your heart shouldn't be ignored or put off. AND REGARDLESS, it is always time for Christians to pray, especially for the LORD'S Work. It really doesn't matter what you believe or don't believe about the end of this age, hosts of people are still dying in their sins. If you believe as I do, the vast majority of the entire world population will be killed during end of this age events and a 7 year period of time known as the Tribulation Period. Again, regardless of what you believe, hosts of people are already dying in their sins, so the LORD'S Work in reaching the lost is the highest priority.

Love In Christ,
Tom

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 NASB  Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

Philippians 3:20-21 NASB  For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ;  who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself.

John 1:10-13 NASB  He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

Revelation 1:7-8 NASB  BEHOLD, HE IS COMING WITH THE CLOUDS, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen. "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

Romans 8:16-18 NASB  The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

Philippians 1:27-28 NASB  Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; in no way alarmed by your opponents--which is a sign of destruction for them, but of salvation for you, and that too, from God.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2006, 02:55:21 PM »

Ariel Sharon
clinically dead?
Local media make dire claim, doctor tries 'to refute the rumors'
Posted: January 5, 2006
2:43 p.m. Eastern

Despite doctors' attempts to counter media reports, local print and television stations in Israel are reporting Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon is clinically dead following a massive stroke yesterday.

Sources tell Israel Insider Sharon "died" at 11 a.m. today local time, but Shlomo Mor-Yosef, director of Hadassah Hospital where the prime minister lies, denied reports of Sharon's death and says he is "serious but stable."

Local TV station Channel 10 reports those closest to Sharon as saying he has suffered "brain damage," which, Israel Insider contends, could mean the leader has suffered brain death, or lack of cerebral activity, while his heart continues to beat.

In updating reporters, however, Mor-Yosef said Sharon's pupils were responding to stimulation, which independent doctors said was a positive sign of independent brain activity, the Associated Press reported.

Doctors today said Sharon likely will be sedated for 72 hours. He underwent seven hours of surgery to stop brain hemorrhaging last night. Sharon's first stroke, a mild one, occurred Dec. 18.

"The prime minister is suffering from low intracranial pressure, and is heavily sedated," Mor-Yosef said. "He will be respirated for at least the next 24 hours. All the parameters that we can check are as expected, following an operation of this type."

Continued the doctor: "I came out to update you and to refute the rumors flooding the country," referring to claims that Sharon had already died and that the government is purposely delaying the news.

"Sharon is still alive," an aide in the intensive care unit told Ynet News. But Channel 10 quotes "someone very close" to the prime minister as saying that he had suffered "brain damage."

The TV station also is reporting that Sharon will be detached from one or more of his life-support machines in the next day or two, with the likelihood that he will not be able to survive without them.

The station also indicated the official death announcement is planned for Sunday, when world stock markets are closed.

Israel Insider claims its source said the Israeli Ministry of Defense in Tel Aviv was informed about noon today that Sharon "died during surgery."

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2006, 01:11:21 AM »

No change in condition of Israel's Sharon-hospital
Fri Jan 6, 2006 5:23 AM GMT13

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - There was no change overnight in the condition of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, who is clinging to life on a respirator after a severe stroke, the director of Jerusalem's Hadassah hospital said on Friday.

"The night passed without change," Shlomo Mor-Yosef told reporters. "All the parameters that we are measuring... are stable."

He said the parameters included blood pressure, pulse, kidney function and intercranial pressure.

The team of doctors who were treating Sharon would meet on Friday morning to decide whether to carry out another CT scan to assess the extent of damage to his brain, Mor-Yosef said.

Sharon suffered a severe cerebral haemorrhage on Wednesday and is now under heavy sedation at Jerusalem's Hadassah hospital.

Surgeons said they stemmed bleeding in the 77-year-old leader's brain in a seven-hour operation and described his condition as critical but stable.

No change in condition of Israel's Sharon-hospital

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2006, 01:15:07 AM »

Last update - 18:29 04/01/2006            
Hamas official in Syria says group's truce with Israel is over
By The Associated Press

DAMASCUS - The Hamas truce with Israel has expired, a senior Hamas official said in Syria on Wednesday, leaving the Palestinian militant group free to resume attacks. But he acknowledged that Hamas leaders in Gaza wanted to maintain the cease-fire through this month's elections.

"The truce formally ended with the end of the year according to all the Palestinian factions that had signed it," Moussa Abu Marzouk, the deputy leader of the Hamas political bureau, told The Associated Press in a phone interview.

In the face of continuing Israeli attacks in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, the Palestinians would not stand idle, Abu Marzouk said. "The truce has become meaningless now," he added.

Advertisement

However, Hamas' top electoral candidate in the Gaza Strip, Ismail Haniyeh, reiterated Tuesday that although the truce had expired on Dec. 31, the group would continue to act in the "national interest" until after the Jan. 25 parliamentary elections.

Abu Marzouk said Haniyeh's remark was a political position taken in view of the elections and an example of "the confusion currently plaguing the Palestinian arena."

Abu Marzouk would not explain how Hamas could reconcile his position with that of Haniyeh's.

Early last year, Egyptian mediators persuaded the Palestinian militant groups to abide by an unwritten cease-fire with Israel with the aim of enabling the peace process to move forward. The informal cease-fire was due to last until the end of 2005.

Last month, both Khaled Mashaal, the Hamas' political leader, and Ramadan Shallah, the leader of Islamic Jihad, said they would not renew the truce after Dec. 31.

The two groups, which are notorious for carrying out suicide bombings in Israel, accused Israel of failing to honor its side of the truce agreement, such as halting its attacks and releasing Palestinian prisoners.

The Egyptian government has invited all the Palestinian groups to come to Cairo for talks on extending the cease-fire through 2006.

Abu Marzouk said the Palestinian factions were likely to go to Cairo for talks after the elections. But, he warned, "there is a consensus that as long as there is (Israeli) occupation, there will be resistance."

The United States and Israel, which consider Hamas and Islamic Jihad as terrorist organizations, have demanded that Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas disarm the two groups. But Abbas has said that an attempt to disarm them would provoke civil war.

Hamas official in Syria says group's truce with Israel is over

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2006, 01:25:19 AM »

Ehud Olmert, Acting Israeli Prime Minister

JERUSALEM — Acting Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, who took over after Ariel Sharon suffered a massive stroke, is a seasoned operator and Sharon confidante who is comfortable in cutthroat local politics and in world capitals alike.

Like Sharon, his mentor in recent years, Olmert underwent a political transformation from hawk to moderate, from backing Israeli control of all of the West Bank and Gaza Strip with constant settlement expansion to helping Sharon lead Israel's unilateral withdrawal from Gaza and part of the West Bank in the summer.

Olmert, 60, a longtime ally of Sharon in the hardline Likud Party -- which both quit in November -- gained governing experience in his decade as mayor of Jerusalem, one of Israel's most sensitive jobs, balancing conflicting Jewish and Palestinian interests and wrestling with constant budget shortfalls by raising money abroad.

Olmert was born in 1945 in the town of Binyamina in northern Israel. His military service included a stint as an officer in an infantry unit and later as a reporter for the Israeli army journal.

He earned his bachelor's degree in psychology and philosophy and later a law degree from the Hebrew University in Jerusalem and worked briefly as a lawyer before entering politics.

He was first elected to parliament in 1973, at the age of 28. In 1988, he became a minister without portfolio in Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir's government and in 1990 was promoted to health minister.

In 1993, he was elected mayor of Jerusalem, defeating the legendary Teddy Kollek, who had run the city for nearly four decades.

In 1999, he challenged Ariel Sharon for leadership of the Likud Party. He lost badly, but since his defeat became increasingly closer to Sharon and in recent years has generally been considered the prime minister's most loyal political ally.

In 2003, he left Jerusalem City Hall to serve in Sharon's second government. He was appointed vice premier and minister of industry, trade and labor. Following the resignation of Benjamin Netanyahuin August, he took over as finance minister.

Married and a father of four, Olmert lives in Jerusalem and is known to be a die-hard fan of the Beitar Jerusalem soccer club.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the