Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:58:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  More Arafat news.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: More Arafat news.  (Read 12146 times)
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 03:15:37 AM »

source: www.foxnews.com

PARIS — Top candidates to succeed Yasser Arafat as Palestinian leader:

———

AHMED QUREIA: Palestinian prime minister, No. 2 official in Arafat administration. Longtime member of Arafat's Fatah (search) movement, he was key architect of 1993 Oslo peace accords with Israel and led Palestinians in negotiations with Israeli government over most of past decade. Became premier last year, and after initially challenging Arafat's authority unsuccessfully, became more compliant.

———

MAHMOUD ABBAS: Former Palestinian prime minister who quit after fight with Arafat. Respected internationally and among Palestinians, he was second-ranking leader of Palestine Liberation Organization behind Arafat. Also known as Abu Mazen (search), helped found PLO in 1964 and later served as secretary-general of PLO executive committee and member of Palestine National Council, PLO's legislature.

———

MARWAN BARGHOUTI: Most popular Palestinian leader after Arafat, but serving five consecutive life terms in Israeli prison after being convicted for involvement in attacks on Israelis. Was West Bank leader of Fatah movement and once close ally of Israeli peace activists in advocating Palestinian state alongside Israel, but vigorously backed resistance after outbreak of violence in September 2000.

What do I think?

I highly doubt MARWAN BARGHOUTI (3rd choice) will happen, as he is in prison. So it seems to boil down to MAHMOUD ABBAS, and AHMED QUREIA. From what I have read, ABBAS is somewhat shy, and not very comfortable in public settings, although he is liked by the palestinian people. My money is still on Queria, and you can bet your bottom Euro, so is Solana's.    Elections must take place within 60 days by Palestinian law to elect their leader.....so the people will decide. It should be interesting watching the EU and US tip-toe around this event, in an effort to bring about desired results, without seemingly affecting the outcome.

There is already news clips suggesting hamas blames Israel for his death and promise to step up attacks.   I look for the EU to try and head this off at that the pass, as they are more sympothetic to the PAL's than the US.   Either way, it will be very volitile for a while.

One thing is certain.....just when you think you can tell what is about to happen in the mid-east....the unexpected is what usually winds up happening.  Cool

Expect anything at this point!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 04:16:05 PM »

So much for tip-toeing by the EU.

source: http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3745462

EU Starts Push for Mideast Peace

"PA"

The EU began to push forward Mideast peace efforts as soon as Yasser Arafat’s death was announced today

“Contacts have started with the Palestinians and the Israelis, it is too early to see what will be the next step,” EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana said. “The European Union is going to work without delay to see how we can give an impulse to the peace process.”

After contacts overnight with international leaders, Solana said in Brussels that he found consensus on the need for a fresh push for peace between Israel and the Palestinians.

“We will do all we can to accelerate the peace process,” he said. “I have no doubt that the international community as a whole has to make an effort to bring to an end the suffering for the people of Palestine.”

Solana was flying to Cairo today for Arafat’s funeral. Foreign Secretary Jack Straw is expected to represent Britain.

He and other leading EU officials pledged support to the Palestinian Authority as it seeks to make the transition to a new post-Arafat leadership.

In the wake of Arafat’s death, EU officials said the international community should work with increased determination to revive the “road map” peace plan which envisions an end to violence and the creation of a Palestinian state.

“The best tribute to President Arafat’s memory will be to intensify our efforts to establish a peaceful and viable state of Palestine as foreseen by the road map,” Solana said.

The stalled peace plan is sponsored by the EU, the US, Russia and the UN.

I wonder who the US will send to Arafats funeral?

Grace and Peace!

Tim

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 04:38:15 PM »

UNITED STATES will send- Assistant Secretary of State Williams Burns to Arafats funeral.   The entire list is at http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/500542.html   Mr Solana will represent the EU....but He certainly is no celebrity by any means these days.   Interesting though!   We are currently fighting terrorism in Iraq, yet attending a funeral of another in Egypt  Huh   Politics!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2004, 07:36:37 AM »

Heres a thread I found in my last 50 that was still missing.

Hopefully this post will revive it  Cool

Tim

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2004, 07:37:11 AM »

yeah!!!   Cheesy

Tim

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2004, 07:41:50 AM »

yeah!!!   Cheesy
See I told you it would work. Grin

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2004, 07:43:36 AM »

You are the man!   Grin

Tim

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 07:47:59 AM »

And I am now going to head back off to bed. Try and get a few more hours of sleep.

So what do you think is going to happen, now that Arafat is gone?

I'll read your reply when I come back on later. Grin

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2004, 08:32:30 AM »

And I am now going to head back off to bed. Try and get a few more hours of sleep.

So what do you think is going to happen, now that Arafat is gone?

I'll read your reply when I come back on later. Grin

I think there is going to be a whole bunch of talk in the media about peace and security.....lol

Anytime I start trying to guess whats going to happen, something unexpected happens, so I will refrain from saying this or that WILL happen (for the moment  Grin  )

I will however share a few things I am thinking about and watching for.

EU vs US in the peace process.   Who is really at the forefront?   We know from scripture that someone from the Revived Roman Empire will eventually make firm a covenant with many.  (no debating from the America is babylon folks please.)  I'm not sure the Church will be around to see that, so if that be the case, we could be going home at any time.   Cheesy

Also watching to see who the palestinians elect in 60 days.   I have a hunch about that, but I wont force it at this point.   Just going to wait and watch to see what happens.

Temple/Dome of the Rock watch.   I have no clue as to how that can ever be settled.   But God does!    I did hear that the Sanhedrin was re-instated this past year.....interesting!!!  

Solana watch.   How this man can be at the heart so many world affairs, yet escape popular media is beyond me.  For e.g.  I believe after Brittan and France failed at getting Iran to slow down their nuclear program, Mr Solana was the one who has brokered a deal with them to chill it.....yet not a peep about HIM on the news in that regard.   Huh   Also of interest is his 7 page mid-east peace plan which he revealed to the EU leaders Nov 2.   Still waiting for that to be made public.   Also strange how Solana is in Romallah speaking directly with the interim palestinian government, while Bush and Blair are watching from affar.   He's getting his hands dirty while the others are just making a lot of noise, promises and warnings.    We know from scripture the AC will not be revealed until the restrainer is removed/first seal broken....so again I don't think WE will know for sure, as we will be gone.   But its hard not to be suspicious at this point.   Still watching, very carefully.

Having said all this, I feel like a child in awe and wonder.  Very exciting times!   It seems obvious (to me anyways) that the Archangel is tunning up for a blast on the ole trumpet.   Lord, please let it be today!   Cheesy

Grace and Peace!

Tim

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 08:56:51 AM »

Some interesting photos of Solana.

The man is into everything, and I do mean everything.   Ever present, yet never mentioned.    Huh

Tim

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2004, 12:20:45 PM »

Could it be that this, 7 page mid-east peace plan. Is really the 7 years of peace, Israel will sign? If so, start looking up!!  Because it wouldn't be long now.

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2004, 06:07:55 PM »

I had wondered about that also, but its almost as corny sounding as the fact he came to his seat of power under EU's recommendation 666   Lips Sealed   No joke!   But it still sounds corny for some reason.   Recommendation 666 gives Mr. Solana, as High Foreign Minister, full emergency power of all EU assets, including military.   Maybe its all just coincedence...who knows?

Either way, it certainly has my attention for the moment.   I am very much looking forward to seeing what is laid out in the 7 page document, that is, if its ever made public.   Huh

Dan 9:27  And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

This verse seems to indicate he will possibly confirm an existing covenant.   Which is why I made mention of the Oslo accords in a previous post.

AHMED QUREIA: Palestinian prime minister, No. 2 official in Arafat administration. Longtime member of Arafat's Fatah (search) movement, he was key architect of 1993 Oslo peace accords with Israel and led Palestinians in negotiations with Israeli government over most of past decade. Became premier last year, and after initially challenging Arafat's authority unsuccessfully, became more compliant.

I believe the Olso accord was also a 7 year deal that was breached when hostilities broke out shortly after its signing.  Some say Israel is still bound to that agreement.   This becomes even more interesting in light of the news that Solana just had talks and a news briefing with Queria (the key architect of Oslo) yesterday in Ramallah.    MAHMOUD ABBAS, the interim acting leader, had an attempt on His life today.   Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure he might be having second thoughts about running in the upcomming elections.  Is it possible that Oslo will be the agreement that is confirmed by the Antichrist?   Maybe, maybe not!   But its fun thinking of the possibilites.    We will see how it unravels.  

Another thought.

All this talk of a palestinian state makes me very nervous.   That land (all of Israel including Gaza) belongs to God!   America, the EU or anyone else pressuring Israel to give it up is just asking for it IMO.   There are some prophecy teachers who say a palestinian state along side Israel will never happen, while others believe creating that state will initiate the tribulation or Gods wrath.  

Zec 12:2  Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.
Zec 12:3  And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

American has always stood on Jerusalems side of the fence.   If we get involved with giving up Gods land to those it was not promised to, which it looks like we are about to do, I think America is playing with fire in that regard.

Everything that is happening, and the pace that its happening seems to indicate one thing with certainty...

Troopers...time to look up, we are headed for home plate!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2004, 06:45:52 PM »

Interesting indeed. Thanks for the information.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2004, 11:58:02 AM »

source: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1100751972810

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei urged the United States on Friday to stick to its original 2005 deadline for Palestinian statehood, arguing that the four-year time frame suggested by US President George W. Bush will give Israel time to grab more land in the disputed West Bank.

Qurei said that the Palestinians want a state within 13 months and assurances from US Secretary of State Colin Powell in meetings next week that the timetable in the so-called "road map" peace plan will be honored.

"We'll tell him that the four years timeframe that was mentioned by President Bush to establish a Palestinian state will encourage the Israeli government to continue stealing our lands to build settlements and the wall," he told a Palestinian journalist. "It is very dangerous."

The Palestinian prime minister met with foreign diplomats Saturday including the US envoy.

Saturday also marked the beginning of the Palestinian presidential elections; candidates now have 12 days to submit their nominations and the population will vote on who will replace late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat on January 9 next year.

Qurei met US envoy David Pierce in east Jerusalem as part of preparations for next week's visit by US Secretary of State Colin Powell.

"As the president and secretary of state have said, we are ready to help the Palestinian people," Pierce told reporters after the meeting.

Powell and foreign ministers from Britain, Russia and other nations are traveling to the Middle East in hopes of restarting peace efforts amid a new spirit of optimism following the death of longtime Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.

Palestinian officials said Powell would arrive for talks in the West Bank town of Jericho on Monday. British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw was expected on Wednesday and Spanish Foreign Minister Miguel Moratinos on December 2.

Tim

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2006, 08:14:02 PM »

The outpouring of tributes to Yasser Arafat was marked by two themes: 1. his greatness as creator, sustainer and leader of the Palestinian cause, and 2. the abrupt opening of an opportunity for its success now that he is gone.

The fawning world leaders saying this seem oblivious to the obvious paradox. If he was such a great leader, how is it that he left his people so destitute, desperate, wounded and bereft that only his passing gives them a hope for a fulfillment of their deepest aspirations?

Arafat's apologists explain this by saying that is because he had one weakness: indecisiveness. In the end, he just could not pull the trigger. When offered the deal of the century by Bill Clinton and Ehud Barak at Camp David in 2000, he was somehow too conflicted, too ambivalent to say yes.

Ambivalent? Nonsense. Yasser Arafat was supremely decisive and single-minded. He was not complex and, regarding Israel's fate, never conflicted. Indeed the reason for his success, such as it was -- creating the Palestinian movement from which he derived fortune, fame and reverence -- was precisely his single-mindedness. Not about Palestinian statehood -- if that was his objective, he could have had his state years ago -- but about the elimination of Jewish statehood.

That was the theme of his entire life. Yes, he signed interim deals to get a foothold in Palestine. But that was always with the objective of continuing the fight from a better strategic position. It was never to conclude a lasting compromise or real peace with Israel.

That is why he died so far from his promised land. This promised land was never the West Bank and Gaza. Arafat founded Fatah in 1959 -- eight years before Israel even acquired these territories. His objective then, and until the day he died, was a Palestinian state built on the ruins of an eradicated Israel.

Bill Clinton was astonished when Arafat rejected the offer of a West Bank and Gaza state, turning down the opportunity to be its George Washington. Us Americans never understood that Arafat saw himself completely differently: as an anti-imperialist revolutionary in the mold of Ho Chi Minh, Mao Zedong and Fidel Castro. Like them, his motto was "revolution unto victory." Total victory. No half loaf. And given Israel's stubborn refusal to die, Arafat's cause became sustaining the struggle -- the revolution -- indefinitely, almost as an end in itself.

It is for this reason that, while Arafat's death does open a first chance for peace since he took over the Palestinian movement four decades ago, that chance remains remote. Why? Because the revolution continues. Arafat made sure it would survive him. He created Palestinian nationalism and shaped it in a revolutionary mold that will take years, perhaps decades, to undo.

It is a legacy in two parts: means and ends. The means? Violence. Arafat invented modern terrorism: airplane hijackings, kidnappings and the spectacular mass murder, like the Olympic massacre of 1972. Others had tried it. Arafat perfected it. He turned terrorism into a brilliantly successful political instrument, a vehicle to international recognition and respect. The man who murdered more innocent Jews than anyone since Hitler died an international hero. The president of France bowed to his casket. The secretary general ordered U.N. flags to fly at half-staff

Arafat also bequeathed a legacy of ends: uncompromising, irredentist ends. He didn't just reject any settlement that would leave Israel intact, thereby setting a precedent that any successor dare not violate. He also raised a new generation to ensure that rejection. Deploying every instrument of propaganda -- television, radio, newspapers and, most importantly, schools and summer camps for children -- his Palestinian Authority fed his people a diet of such virulent anti-Semitism and denial of the Jewish connection with the land that no successor will even be in position to contemplate breaking Arafat's rejectionist precedent.

Arafat's most cherished achievement was to so poison the well that the revolution -- until total victory -- continues long after he is gone. As soon as he died, the most murderous terrorist wing of his Fatah movement, the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, changed its name to the Yasser Arafat Martyrs Brigades.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the