Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:46:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286810 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  God as omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: God as omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent  (Read 4869 times)
abo46n2

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2004, 02:19:34 AM »

I don't intend to be blasphemous towards Christianity, but I have a question about the Christian God.  If GOD is omniscient,omnipresent, and omnipotent (which I believe is stated in the bible, GOD being all and everything, everywhere and knowing everything) then how can there be a concept of sin if GOD knows all and everything and IS everything.  If this is true, then GOD IS sin, pain, suffering and destruction.  If someone could enlighten me with their opinion on this subject, I would greatly appreciate the chance to see another view.  I appreciate it.

Sulfurdolphin

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 10:07:05 AM »

The concept of sin is found in our father Adam and our mother Eve they both sinned and rebelled against God whom Adam walked daily with. God did not create sin because He is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent. It is true that God is all loving and merciful but on the other hand satan is the first sinner and caused Adam and Eve to fall into the same trap. God allowed the sin to happen but God is not the creator of sin or the originator of sin remeber God is Holy and there is no lies or deceit found in Him and no sin. Satan is the creator of sin that caused Adam and Eve to sin. So really we have ourselves to blame for our sins and not God. It is true that God allows disasters and pain and suffering sometimes in our lives but this is not because God is sadistic but it is because God is all loving because He knows by allowing disasters and pain and suffering in our lives this can draw or will draw us closer to Him. This is similar to a two sword because our sins can cause us to suffer pain and disaster and destruction on ourselves and others. But mainly God uses these to draw us closer fellowship with Him and that God will rescue us in times of trouble with His blessings He bestows upon His children.

It is not blasphemous it is a great and legitimate question that you asked.

Hope this helps some

Here is a book i would refer to you

its called CHOSEN BY GOD written by RC SPROUL

Michael
Kalthzar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 07:33:47 PM »

You um don't actually address the question....

"Men speak of killing time when time slowly killing them"
"We make war that we may live in peace"
"Practical politics consists in ignoring the facts"
"Everyone's quick to blame the Alien"
"Multiplication vexes me, Division is as bad, The ru
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 01:28:25 AM »

hi

God is all powerful. I see what your perspective is. it seems to follows logically. However, it is strongly eschewed.

First....
Sin is disobediance towards God.
Punishment, pain, and suffering are consequences of sin.
Sin is the opposite of God
Holiness is the opposite of Satan (devil)

Sin should not be treated as an abstract object rather it is more specifically an action; an action that rebels against God. Just like any other relationship between a parent and child...when the child is doing something wrong, a responsible parent would have to discipline their child to correct them. Obviously, this discipline may involve some suffering but it is for the good of the child. This is how sin is related to suffering.

God is all knowing and all powerful but this really has nothing to do with why there is sin. How sin came to be was from an angel Lucifer. He was one of the wisest and most beautiful angels. At one time, Lucifer became arrogant and desired the same power as God. Lucifer was thrown out of heaven as result.

Lucifer thought...the only way he could be like God, was to get his creation to worship him instead. Thus, Lucifer (who is now Satan) intends to turn God's creation (us, we the people) against God. The first sin commited was that of Adam and Eve. This seperated man from God for God would not allow sin in his presence (God is holy, sin is the opposite of holiness).

The ultimate consequence of sin is death. This is why we all must die; why death is inevitable. So then if God is all powerful then why couldn't He just do away with sin?

That means He would have to do away with his creation for they have all sinned. Hmm...that means we should all perish. God has done this before with a great flood. What about today? We still sin are we going to perish? No, God had already planned a way out. You see...God is all knowing...He knew what was, is, and will happen. That is why Jesus was sent on earth to die for Man's sin. Through faith in Jesus we conquer death and thus, we conquer sin.

We were never meant to die; we were meant to exist with God forever. Through one man Adam...sin and seperation from God came upon all men / Through one man Jesus...salvation and the rights as sons of God can go through all men.

The fact that God is all knowing and all powerful is known...even by other religions. I understand your question but don't understand how you came to that perspective. This is how sin came to be.

The christian God is Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit. Jesus provides the way out of sin. Everything is a choice that we are accountable for:
Man chose to sin and that seperated man from God.
Man can chose to accept the faith in Jesus and become sons of God.

Lastly, if God is all knowing and powerful...and sin comes from the influence of Satan...then can't God just destroy Satan and sin altogether?

God will. There will be a time where Satan, sin, and death will be done away with forever.

I suggest reading matthew 11:24-29 and matthew 11:36-43
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 01:40:56 AM by felix102 » Logged
Kalthzar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 06:09:55 AM »

I understood his/her question to be that since God is everywhere and everything, When someone carries out the action of a sin, it also means that God is doing that action. Both the previous answers have said that it is Satan who is sin but if the sin is not God, then he isn't omnipresent

well thats how i understood the question ot be... Huh

felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 01:34:46 PM »

I understood his/her question to be that since God is everywhere and everything, When someone carries out the action of a sin, it also means that God is doing that action. Both the previous answers have said that it is Satan who is sin but if the sin is not God, then he isn't omnipresent

well thats how i understood the question ot be... Huh

When someone carries out the action of a sin, it also means that God is doing that action. I talked about this:
This is apparently wrong because a person that choses to sin makes that choice, God does not. How can God be doing the sinning? God is holy; he cannot sin. Sin is the opposite of God.

Likewise, when a person sins, that does not mean that Satan is  the one who sins. However, "cursed is the one that makes any one of these sin."

"Both the previous answers have said that it is Satan who is sin but if the sin is not God, then he isn't omnipresent"
I'm not sure whether this makes sense.
We can all agree that
sin = disobediance to God

So lets put that into the sentence:
"Both the previous answers have said that it is Satan who is [disobediance to God] but if the [disobediance to God] is not God, then he isn't omnipotent."

The existence of sin does not mean that God isnt omnipotent. I think the original question can be better presented like this:
"There is a king who is all-powerful. He is in a war with an enemy."
You are asking...If the king is all-powerful then why is he still in a war with his enemy if he can simply destroy him?

Answer:
"There is a king who is all-powerful. He is in a war with an enemy. There are only two sides in the war. You are either with his enemy or with the King. The King can destroy the enemy at any time, however, in doing so, the King would also have to destroy the enemy's followers as well. The King would rather wait for the enemy's followers to turn back to him before destroying the enemy.

The all powerful King will conquer his enemy. However, the King is waiting for the sake of the enemy's followers, that they may turn back to him."

In this war, Jesus is our savior. Jesus is how we as enemies of God can turn back to God. Like the King, God does not want anyone of us to perish; it is his will that we inherit eternal life through Jesus Christ.
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 05:41:33 PM »

I don't intend to be blasphemous towards Christianity, but I have a question about the Christian God.  If GOD is omniscient,omnipresent, and omnipotent (which I believe is stated in the bible, GOD being all and everything, everywhere and knowing everything) then how can there be a concept of sin if GOD knows all and everything and IS everything.  If this is true, then GOD IS sin, pain, suffering and destruction.  If someone could enlighten me with their opinion on this subject, I would greatly appreciate the chance to see another view.  I appreciate it.

Nana:
God's Omni-presence and Omniscience do not mean He is *in* everything or *is* everything.  It means He is present everywhere.  If you are *in* your house, it does not mean you are *in* the walls, floors, and furniture or *are* the house or the objects within it  Grin

Excellent question, btw  Wink

Shalom, Nana  Cool

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Kalthzar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 02:45:52 PM »

Must learn to articulate properly, anyhoo this link here is all the definitions of present http://www.hyperdictionary.com/search.aspx?define=present

and omni present is present everywhere at once, so i took a look at the number of definitions and despaired....laziness is Bad....

Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 03:16:46 PM »

Present.....therefore guilty.

Look at the logic.

Suppose you are a father or mother. You have a child. You tell the child not to put their hand in the fire. You are standing next to a fire at the time, and the child is intrigued by it. You're on one side, the child on the other. The child suddenly reaches out and touches the fire and gets burned.

Must be your fault.  You caused it by being there.

Ummm hmmm. Roll Eyes

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
Kalthzar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 11:03:59 AM »

You know i read somewhere that Saying "don't" to a child is the wrong thing to do, sends a negative image, (i.e. them doing it) appernetly your meant to say it more positivly

sorry just reminded me of that

BigD
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 12:42:22 PM »

BigD responds:
God is everthing you mentioned above. God has created everything that is in existance today. If you read the first two chapters of the book of Genesis, you will discover that everything that God created "was good."

When God created the heavenly beings and man (Adam) upon the earth, He did not create them with a sinful nature. They were perfectly created.

However, God did create them with a "free will." Lucifer was the most beautiful of all the heavenly beings. He was not created with evil within him, but he did have the "free will" to do whatever he desired. It was his desire to usurp the position of God Almighty that was evil. Therefore, evil entered heaven via the desires of Lucifer (satan).

Adam was created without sin. Adam was created with "free will." Adam was deceived into eating from the tree of good and evil. That is how sin entered into the world.

Had God created evil, and placed it with His heavenly beings, and Adam, they He would be the blame for evil in His creation. God would then not be a just God for punishing evil when it was committed.

All mankind has inherited the sinful nature that Adam aquired. A just and merciful God has been graceous to always provide a means of salvation/justification for all mankind to overcome the punishment of sin. In this dispensation of grace, it is by putting our faith and trust in the Cross work (death, burial and resurrection) of Christ.

God Bless.
Live Well, Laugh Often and Love the Lord!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the