Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:03:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Sabbath
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sabbath  (Read 4294 times)
Tim Vaughan

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2004, 02:13:44 PM »

The Sabbath in the Bible isn't on any particular day, e.g. Saturday or Sunday. The purpose is general, and public, so whatever day is used in your particular culture is fine.

The Hebrew callendar was lunar, so they picked 4-5 days each year and just didn't count them, so if you were to make a computer program to trace the days backwards using our callendar, some years it would be on Sunday, some Thursday, etc..

So don't let anyone get you bogged down in whether Saturday or Sunday is the true Sabbath, neither were, but since Sunday is the public holiday in our culture, the Commandment points to this day as the proper day of rest.

Regards
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 02:35:57 PM »

The Sabbath in the Bible isn't on any particular day, e.g. Saturday or Sunday. The purpose is general, and public, so whatever day is used in your particular culture is fine.

The Hebrew callendar was lunar, so they picked 4-5 days each year and just didn't count them, so if you were to make a computer program to trace the days backwards using our callendar, some years it would be on Sunday, some Thursday, etc..

So don't let anyone get you bogged down in whether Saturday or Sunday is the true Sabbath, neither were, but since Sunday is the public holiday in our culture, the Commandment points to this day as the proper day of rest.

Regards

Another"TWO"Thumbs Down, on some really BAD teachings Grin

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Pastor Roger
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 04:02:43 PM »

Regards

Another"TWO"Thumbs Down, on some really BAD teachings Grin

I'll add another two.

Tim Vaughan

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 06:00:02 PM »

What on earth are you two on about? What possible problem can you have with Sunday being the day of rest in our culture? Are you Seventh Day Adventists?
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 06:06:18 PM »

What on earth are you two on about? What possible problem can you have with Sunday being the day of rest in our culture? Are you Seventh Day Adventists?

LOL Grin

I am in His rest 24/7

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Tim Vaughan

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 06:43:40 PM »

You said "two thumbs down", but from what I've read from you, I doubt you even understood the post. The person how claims to be a pastor suprises me though. I hope he will explain what his objections are rather than running away.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 07:11:13 PM »

You said "two thumbs down", but from what I've read from you, I doubt you even understood the post. The person how claims to be a pastor suprises me though. I hope he will explain what his objections are rather than running away.

Tim, it's really very simple. Jesus Christ is our Sabbath Rest. The Sabbath under the Law was a shadow of things to come. The shadow was replaced by reality, the reality of Jesus Christ as the perfect Sacrifice on the Cross for us.

We don't have to make an appointment to worship Jesus, nor do we need a Levite Priest to pray for us or help us worship Jesus. Christians can worship and pray to Jesus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Jesus Christ finished the work of Salvation, and Jesus Christ is our Sabbath Rest. HE lives in us, and we live in HIM. HE goes with us, and we go with HIM 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We are no longer under the Law of Moses, rather the Gospel of the Grace of God. We don't have to wait until Saturday, Sunday, or any other day of the week to worship or pray. HE is with us, and we are with HIM every step of every day. That's the rest, comfort, peace, and joy of being in Jesus.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Tim Vaughan

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 07:37:03 PM »

Tom, I agree that the Law was a school master, and the reality was Christ, but do you honestly think that any of the Ten Commandments were done away with?

It's true that when the Bible says that you can't muzzle an ox while it's working it's really talking about supporting financially clergy, but does that give us the right to muzzle oxen now?

Surely you see that there should still be a day of rest? I don't consider myself a legalist, but the Law was fulfilled in Christ, not destroyed.

Also, my main point was that nobody should demand any certain day, like certain sects.
Pastor Roger
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 07:37:56 PM »

Tim, it's really very simple. Jesus Christ is our Sabbath Rest. The Sabbath under the Law was a shadow of things to come. The shadow was replaced by reality, the reality of Jesus Christ as the perfect Sacrifice on the Cross for us.

We don't have to make an appointment to worship Jesus, nor do we need a Levite Priest to pray for us or help us worship Jesus. Christians can worship and pray to Jesus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Jesus Christ finished the work of Salvation, and Jesus Christ is our Sabbath Rest. HE lives in us, and we live in HIM. HE goes with us, and we go with HIM 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We are no longer under the Law of Moses, rather the Gospel of the Grace of God. We don't have to wait until Saturday, Sunday, or any other day of the week to worship or pray. HE is with us, and we are with HIM every step of every day. That's the rest, comfort, peace, and joy of being in Jesus.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Amen.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 08:24:41 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 08:01:59 PM »

Tim Vaughn,

We are no longer under the Law of Moses, rather the Gospel of the Grace of God. We look to Jesus and the CROSS, not Moses. Jesus and the Cross makes it possible for us to rest in Jesus every second of every day. One must read and understand the writings of the Apostle Paul to understand the reality of Jesus and the Cross, but the below will give you a start.

(Matthew 22:36)  Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
(Matthew 22:37)  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
(Matthew 22:38)  This is the first and great commandment.
(Matthew 22:39)  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
(Matthew 22:40)  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Our Sabbath Rest is Jesus Christ, our Living LORD and Saviour. HE is LORD over all days, all hours, all minutes, and all seconds.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Sulfurdolphin

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 12:44:26 AM »

A typical Shabbat

At about 2PM or 3PM on Friday afternoon.

The next morning Shabbat services begin around 9AM and continue until about noon.

Shabbat ends at nightfall, when three stars are visible, approximately 40 minutes after sunset.

In Exodus 20:11, after Fourth Commandment is first instituted, G-d explains, "because for six days, the L-rd made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and on the seventh day, he rested; therefore, the L-rd blessed the Sabbath day and sanctified it." By resting on the seventh day and sanctifying it, we remember and acknowledge that G-d is the creator of heaven and earth and all living things. We also emulate the divine example, by refraining from work on the seventh day, as G-d did. If G-d's work can be set aside for a day of rest, how can we believe that our own work is too important to set aside temporarily?

In Deuteronomy 5:15, while Moses reiterates the Ten Commandments, he notes the second thing that we must remember on Shabbat: "remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the L-rd, your G-d brought you forth from there with a might hand and with an outstretched arm; therefore the L-rd your G-d commanded you to observe the Sabbath day."

http://judaism.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shabbos.com

Michael
Chesed

Zechariah 2:10-12

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 02:44:42 AM »

Tim-

I think the 'thumbs down' rating was in regards to the inaccuracy of the info you presented in your first post.

The Jewish calendar is lunar/solar.  They never add single days in, they add in a leap month (Adar II) about 7 times in 19 years so that the festivals always fall in the same season, otherwise Passover would not be in spring every year, but would rotate around the calendar, just like the Muslim holiday ramadan. If you want it from the horses mouth-
http://www.jewfaq.org/calendar.htm

The month being added doesn't change the Sabbath cycle since they still number the days 1-7.

If you still are skeptical, just take Jesus word for it.  His custom was to go to the synagogue every Sabbath-

Lu 4:16 - And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read.

If the Jew's had it wrong, the synagogue would have been empty....

Not to mention, if the Jewish people can't be trusted with the Sabbath, then can we really trust the Scripture they preserved for us?

Chesed

'Sing & be glad, Daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming & I will dwell in your midst, says the Lord. Many nations will join themselves to the Lord on that day & they will become a people unto Me; & I will dwell in your midst. Then you will know that the Lord sent me to you.'
Tim Vaughan

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 05:00:52 AM »

Lu 4:16 - And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read.

If the Jew's had it wrong, the synagogue would have been empty....

What is that supposted to prove in terms of my post? It is totally irrelavant.

And there is no such think as lunar/solar. Even your link doesn't say that. Your link says it was changed in the 4th century, which has nothing to do with my post. You briefly read the link without understanding it.

Actually, the verse you quoted just adds evidence to what I said, since Christ in our exemplar.

So when you you people meet for worship? Whenever you all get the same urge?
Chesed

Zechariah 2:10-12

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 02:27:20 PM »

I do keep the Sabbath on the 7th day, the day God sanctified in Genesis 2.

My point in the verse was that if the Jews of Jesus day were keeping the wrong day, then when Jesus kept the Sabbath, he would have done it on the right day, which shows that Biblically, the Sabbath is a certain day (the 7th) and the Jews were keeping the correct day.

Secondly, the link I gave doesn't say the words lunar/solar, but it is implied-

In the fourth century, Hillel II established a fixed calendar based on mathematical and astronomical calculations. This calendar, still in use, standardized the length of months and the addition of months over the course of a 19 year cycle, so that the lunar calendar realigns with the solar years. Adar II is added in the 3rd, 6th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th and 19th years of the cycle. The current cycle began in Jewish year 5758 (the year that began October 2, 1997).

If it is kept aligned with the solar year, it is also a solar calendar. Hillel just fixed the calendar (made it so they could map it out ahead of time), he didn't change the way they did it.  The real difference was that before Hillel, there was a Sanhedrin, and they would observe the new moon to declare the beginning of the month, and with Hillel, they just used the known lunar cycle to fix the days as 29 or 30.
The bottom line is the months still line up with the cycle of the moon, and the solar year (same seasons).

I don't see how the verse I quoted gives any support to your position, it shows the Messiah honered the Shabbat on the 7th day confirming that the Jews had it on the right day.

We meet on the Seventh day of the week like our Messiah the Lord of the Sabbath.  Even in our culture, we still call Sunday the 1st day of the week, and so do the scriptures. In fact, in the new testament Greek, they number the days "the first day from the Sabbath", "the second day from the Sabbath" etc.  A pity that isn't indicated in the English.

How does the commandment to keep the 7th day holy point to the 1st day of the week?

Chesed

'Sing & be glad, Daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming & I will dwell in your midst, says the Lord. Many nations will join themselves to the Lord on that day & they will become a people unto Me; & I will dwell in your midst. Then you will know that the Lord sent me to you.'
Tim Vaughan

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2004, 02:35:55 PM »

We meet on the Seventh day of the week like our Messiah the Lord of the Sabbath.  Even in our culture, we still call Sunday the 1st day of the week, and so do the scriptures. In fact, in the new testament Greek, they number the days "the first day from the Sabbath", "the second day from the Sabbath" etc.  A pity that isn't indicated in the English.

How does the commandment to keep the 7th day holy point to the 1st day of the week?

You show a total ignorance of both Biblical law, history and logic. There is no way to prove that the day Christ attended synagogue, the seventh day, corresponds to our Saturday. It didn't, as even the article you posted says the reforms of Hillal didn't come until 4 centuries after Christ.

The Jews adjusted the callendar several different ways during their history, and this included adding extra days without counting them, thus there could be two first day's of the week in a row several times per year.

And as to the argument that somehow our Saturday corresponds to the seventh day of the time of Christ is parochial on your part, as there are other countries where Sunday is the seventh day of the week and Monday the first.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the