Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:47:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Music (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christian Goth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Goth  (Read 13098 times)
Sulfurdolphin

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2004, 08:19:43 PM »

http://www.christiangoth.com/
EecPunx

Do the popcorn chicken

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 04:04:49 AM »

Ehh this is probably a touchey subject to you.. but I dont believe there is really such a thing as a true "christian goth" I think goth is more into satan and pentagrams and all that crap. I dunno thats my opinion... but hey ROCK ON anyway

Ska, Punk, Rock, metal, its all cool to me... except country.. and opera.. and classical... and...
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 04:49:17 PM »

I think goth is more into satan and pentagrams and all that crap.

Not necessarily. Goths are the depressed losers (I would say "kids," but sadly, some adults feel the need to categorize themselves under the "goth" label) who walk around in all black, wear black makeup, listen to death metal and industrial metal and speed metal and, of course, heavy metal, and hang out in dark, mysterious places...after curfew. The rebels! They close themselves to everyone except the other people who wear black and listen to metal and wear makeup. They slit their wrists because they think it's cool, they play with knives because they think it's cool, they wear plastic fangs and cloaks and trench coats because they think it's cool.

The weird thing is, no one likes goths except other goths (oh, and Jesus). So how this "cryptic," "complex" group of people keeps growing is something I have yet to figure out.
HorrorChristinite

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 07:39:54 PM »

The are christian goths i know plenty of them, I guess I'm one of them, I have actually gotten banned from the color black at my school and most of the faculty dislike me because I wore all black, and they told me not to do that since I enjoi being at that school to some extent I didnt wear all black, and then all the sudden the started saying blue jeans and blue shirts are too lose to black and then the banned me from black, which made mad and I actually no longer considered my self a christian, got in alot of music that was "satanic" I guess and no like they were loving sataning just the were mad at God and I was too because How could his "people" be so closed minded to where the way someone dresses makes them un-christian if thats a word, and now I really like that music that I listened to and now I'm having trouble not listening to it because they became my favorite band, and I was drawing things that some people saw that I wish they hadnt, because it definately wasnt gloryfiying God. But now I have realized me getting mad at God because of that is as stupid as them banning me from black. and Now I consider my self a Christ Child, aka christian again, I play the band at my youth church , and we are going to be playing at my school sometime soon which will be fun for me. and they dont like drums or distortion at church and we have plenty of it, we have played at some churches (or I have) were they called me the devil and bla bla bla when we were being sincere in our worship and getting closer God, there are Christian Goths.
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 07:40:49 AM »

"Goths are the depressed losers"?

We are all losers except for the blood of Jesus Christ.

"no one likes goths"

I dont know what your experience has been with those who are goth, but one of the nicest young men I know claims to be goth, and is actually a friend of my daughter. I wont pretend to understand the culture, and have been doing a lot of research on it, so far the sum of what i`ve learned is goth means many different things to different people, but Solomon has this to say "He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him."   Your statements are too broad, inclusive of all who are goth, and quite obviously biased. It amounts to the same thing as saying all bikers are outlaws. We as Christians are too quick to judge things we have little or no knowledge or understanding of.

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 07:53:04 AM »

I think goth is more into satan and pentagrams and all that crap.

Not necessarily. Goths are the depressed losers (I would say "kids," but sadly, some adults feel the need to categorize themselves under the "goth" label) who walk around in all black, wear black makeup, listen to death metal and industrial metal and speed metal and, of course, heavy metal, and hang out in dark, mysterious places...after curfew. The rebels! They close themselves to everyone except the other people who wear black and listen to metal and wear makeup. They slit their wrists because they think it's cool, they play with knives because they think it's cool, they wear plastic fangs and cloaks and trench coats because they think it's cool.
Do you attend school with a lot of goths?  Undecided

The weird thing is, no one likes goths except other goths (oh, and Jesus). So how this "cryptic," "complex" group of people keeps growing is something I have yet to figure out.
"And Jesus"..... The most important aspect of any culture or  sub-culture. Smiley

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 04:40:48 PM »

goth means many different things to different people

I'll agree with this, but let's turn to our good friend, the dictionary, for a humorous definition:

goth: (n) A crude uncouth ill-bred person lacking culture or refinement

I guess I just find that funny.

Your statements are too broad, inclusive of all who are goth, and quite obviously biased.

Well, duh.

Geeze, why is it that whenever I say something so obviously sarcastic, certain people hit me over the head with a Bible? And before you get all uppity about that possibly controversial statement, it was sarcastic as well.

Do you attend school with a lot of goths?

Yes. And pretty much everything I said about goths in general applies to them.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 05:43:21 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I must admit ignorance on the subject of Goths. I did go to the web site that started this thread, and I didn't find anything there that mocked God.

What very little I know about this subject, I still considered deleting this thread. The subject of darkness, wearing black, and other weird stuff does make me question whether this thread should be on Christians Unite.

I would appreciate some input and advice from other brothers and sisters here.

Love In Christ,
Tom

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 08:22:33 AM »

My opinion - for what it's worth Lips Sealed - is that at this point, I'd like to wait and learn more.  Smiley

"Goths" aren't a big sub-culture here in the rural south!  Undecided

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 05:36:30 PM »

wearing black

So wearing black is suddenly looked down on now?

I don't think the thread should be deleted. It's not blasphemous in any way, as you said, and doesn't detract from fellowship. Honestly, if every single thread here were about how great Jesus was, this would be one boring site. Allow a little diversity.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 06:40:19 PM »

wearing black

So wearing black is suddenly looked down on now?

I don't think the thread should be deleted. It's not blasphemous in any way, as you said, and doesn't detract from fellowship. Honestly, if every single thread here were about how great Jesus was, this would be one boring site. Allow a little diversity.

Sapphire W34P0N,

No, I don't look down on anyone wearing black. I asked the question because I don't know what being Goth means, and I don't know what they do. I'm positive there is absolutely nothing wrong about being a Christian, but I really don't have a clue about being Goth.

Sapphire W34P0N, it's simply a question from an old guy wanting information about whether this is appropriate on a Christian family forum.   Cheesy  If you can help the old square, please explain it to me.   Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 06:55:02 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 04:47:01 PM »

Sorry, BEP. Can't help you with a serious definition. You ask one self-proclaimed goth wht it means, he'll give you an answer. Ask another one, you'll get a different answer. It's odd.
Syddles

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 01:03:59 PM »

I've been a lurker here for awhile, but I think I'll speak out here.  Smiley

I'm a goth myself, and my circle of friends is mostly goth.  I'm the only Christian out of them, though.  The others are pagan or atheist. Sad  Some are old and young... many of the older ones have been goth since like the 70s.  The meaning of goth, depending on who you ask.... goth will either mean nothing anymore, or something totally different to everyone, thanks to the evolution of it.

As I understand it, it originally started as a type of counterculture back then, meant to be tied closely to identity and personal expression (often via art of some kind).  But the meaning of the term has sprung up stereotypes that people talk about, and those have done more harm than good.  A lot of that is due to the evolution over the years, despite a resistance to change by some goths.  There seems to be a pervasive desire amongst a lot of the new members to tie goth down to some core ideal or value set.  Many late 80s punk bands adapted the gothic mode of dress to fit their own, and from them goth bands erupted, and from music it is usually where a new subculture of sorts arrives. These were "new wave" goths and adopted a "I hate everybody" approach in the music.  So that is how it is nowdays defined by what it is not, rather than what it is.

The original idea was, you could freely express your emotions without caring what anyone thought.  You could be happy, depressed, whatever.  Not many people went around expressing depression, and goths were pretty much the only people that did/would do that, so they were naturally clumped together as a depressed bunch.  But many people would use that as an excuse to brood about and look for attention, a "boo-hoo I'm depressed and a drug-addict and I hate the world, feel sorry for me" attitude, and whatnot. I think society is rapidly collapsing as people are thinking drugs and gloominess are cool, and black is a colour of mourning, and so people will gravitate to being a goth either thinking that's what makes them goth or they just want attention, and many people today will bury their problems in loose sex and drugs... and so gradually arrived the negative image of goths.

I blame some of it on the arrival of Marilyn Manson, I think. Since him, the goth movement has became almost mainstream and has brought on the "goth-not goth" debate and a more negative image of goths (and also the idea that a Christian goth is nonexistant).

I guess the issue is more of what kind of goth he/she is, or how/why the individual is goth, opposed to just being goth.

Oh, and hi everyone. Smiley
Shemaya
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2004, 06:06:52 PM »

I don't know if this only is a thing where I live,but everyone that I know that is goth are really nice happy people my grandma works at a college and says also that they are nice people.It doesn't really matter I think what you wear,but what's on the inside.So maybe they just want to be different from everyone else it really doesn't matter.That's just my opinion though.
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2004, 06:55:37 PM »

Roll Eyes

That's just my opinion though.

Good thing you said that. I thought maybe you were speaking for someone else.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the